J. Wong's Asian Bistro
163 West 200 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
J. Wong's Asian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jwongutah.com/
- Phone: 8013500888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Vihn Trinh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer a not so expensive solution for quality off site and on site Corporate, Wedding, and special event catering. Call or visit our website for more information!
- Private Party Facilities: Our banquet room is perfect for your private dining needs. Seats up to 60 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining Coordinator 8885124435
A word from J. Wong's Asian Bistro
Brilliant and flavorful handcrafted Chinese, Thai, and Asian specialties. We are a neighborhood restaurant and destination spot. Our menu is Vegetarian friendly with Gluten Free options. Best in State Chinese 2010, 2011, 2012. Small Business Award of the year from Chamber of Commerce 2011. Come dine with us and experience the very best Utah has to offer!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J. Wong's Asian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Best of SLCBTHartDined on 9/12/2014My second trip to J Wong's. It is upscale Asian dining. We started with a small plate of pad thai - which is typically pretty pedestrian fare, but my 10 year old wanted it to share. I was the best pad thai we've ever had. Chicken was tender, egg was not rubbery. It came with a large prawn on top. Perfect! Our entrees were scallops with bacon and garlic (my, my - delish!) and braised pork belly with dumplings (fantastic). The place was virtually empty at 7 pm on Friday night. This is really a shame given the quality of food and the inventive dishes that J Wong's serves up. They even have free valet parking - which means there's no excuse why you shouldn't be eating there tonight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tai/Chinese great placePro2bugDined on 9/2/2014I was early for dinner, great service. great food. NOTE: bar looks like wine/beer only but they have a full bar.Special Features:
- OR DinneraztecVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food was terrific! The wait staff was working very hard, not very polished but attentive and hustling, the kitchen was SLOW.....super over whelmed. Seems like they have no idea OR was coming into town. Lots of floor staff, good thing we were not a time table, but the food was terrific, from the fried ribs (delicious) to sticky rice to the roast half duck and everything in between! Over all a very good meal, and we will return.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014The food was great as well as the service. The only negatives were that the egg drop soup was luke warm, and it's across from the Salt Palace so convention goers filled up the place and it was so loud that none of us to carry on a conversation. Outside of that, it was awesome!Special Features:
- Excellent group lunchfirstVisitDined on 6/25/2014My group enjoyed a good meal in the private dining room. The food is delicious and the service was great! I always love to eat at J. Wong's when I'm in Salt Lake City.Special Features:
- The following 37 reviews are from the J. Wong's Asian Bistro reviews archive.
- Lovely restaurantMiletaVIPDined on 5/24/2014Really great food, spectacular service, wonderful dim-lit ambiance in the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Unless you order spicey dishes, the food is very bland...not much use of herbs and spices. In order to be tasty, the food does not have to be spicey hot. I can't eat very spicey foods and have not yet found a dish at J. Wong's that I would order again.
- Excellent QualitycomputermikeDined on 5/10/2014Definitely worth a visit, food is great and fresh and food is consistent, lettuce wraps are great, and their food isn't oily and over salted. Prices are reasonable and would go back. The best Chinese I have had in Utah for sure.Special Features:
- Not What I expectedFoodieDined on 5/2/2014After reading the review of "Best Chinese" restaurant in Salt Lake magazine's dining awards edition I was excited to go. But I was somewhat disappointed. The review in the magazine did not match up to my experience. The food was good not mind blowing. In the article it mentioned a "new sommelier" on staff. I was looking forward to talking to someone that could educate me on matching wines with Asian food. No such person was on staff (this was a Friday night too). Service was only ok, and the restaurant was not busy. I will go back to give it another try, but I find it hard to believe that it is the best Chinese in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingWayneMDined on 4/26/2014We ended up eating here multiple times during our stay. Originally wanted PF Change but had too long long wait. Found this place and it was way better than anything the other place had to offer. Ate dinner with my wife and next day went back with a group of 8. Food was awesome and staff very friendly. Manager was very nice as well. Will make this thing regular stop when we are in Salt Lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic group reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014I placed a reservation for 20 for a group dinner. The manager placed us in a separate room, and gave us an overflow table, that did fill up with additional colleagues who came to join us. The server was fantastic, everyone was happy with the food options and quality, and it was a great experience.
- good lunch at conventionLJSDVIPDined on 4/25/2014Great location for convention goers. Quick and varied menu. Good for groups too.Special Features:
- Refreshing AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2014J. Wong's brings Asian to those of us who still want healthy, fresh options along with Asian flavors. The vegetables were crisp and vibrant in all the dishes. Abandoned diet and splurged with the Walnut Shrimp; delicious without being too sweet. Our server was knowledgable and helped pair an interesting wine with what we were eating. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian Food DowntownrealcrabbyDined on 3/1/2014Delicious Chinese Food. Scallops were very good. Also enjoyed the calamari. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014It was my first time at this restaurant, and I was very impressed. Having been in customer service for many years, I felt they were above and beyond the normal levels. The good was amazing and the atmosphere was something special. I will be going back and recommend it to all my friends.Special Features:
- J Wong's is the best in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014I go to J Wong's at least twice a month. The food is incredible, the prices are reasonable and the service is excellent and very fast. I recommend this to anyone looking for incredible Asian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was prompt and décorGreggDined on 2/7/2014Service was prompt and décor was oriental modern. Very high ceiling which reduces the feel of an intimate surrounding. A little pricy but I would return again.Special Features:
- Will Return!BTHartDined on 1/31/2014Our first visit to J Wongs. Table for 6 - beautiful designed interior. Large and roomy booths held our party comfortably. Great beer and wine by the bottle selection. I opted for a cosmo. We ordered spring rolls, egg rolls, potstickers for appetizers - all very good, particularly the spring rolls. Pad Thai, Szechuan pork, and Mongolian beef was also good, maybe a bit pedestrian. The star of the night; however, and the reason I will return to this upscale establishment, was the seared sea scallops in bacon sauce. This may be one of the best dishes I've eaten in SLC. While the typical Chinese fare they offer was good, the chef specials are truly unique. The items on that part of the menu were really interesting, creative and tempting.Special Features:
- Celebrating Chinese New YearOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014What a pleasure to ring in the year of the horse with fabulous Chinese food. A group of 8, we wisely left our dining selections in the expert hands of our waiter. We shared two appetizers and six main dishes. All were amazingly varied with a nice balance of spicy, sweet and savory. The best surprise: the bill at the end of the evening. Even with our $10 per bottle corkage, each couple paid under $45 with tip. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumkdveharDined on 1/31/2014Can't say a bad thing about J Wong's. The food was excellent, the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceJINSHDined on 12/31/2013Visited for New Years Eve. It wasn't very busy and for some reason, the restaurant did not have any music playing, so the ambience was very... quiet. (Surprising how much music can add to the mood.) Our server was kind but inexperienced; timing was off, she couldn't answer questions about the menu, etc. We'd return for the food but not for a special occasion or with a group.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect New Years Eve DinnerMegDDined on 12/31/2013I made a reservation for 12 people on the morning of New Years Eve... They had our table ready, no waiting in the lobby! They even had water preset for us... So thoughtful! Service was great but a little slow getting drinking a from the bar. Everyone loved their entrees, we got complimentary appetizers from the chief, delicious and again so personal! Sesame chicken is amazing! It was so nice not to stress of wait for our New Years dining experience! This really is a hidden gem right in the middle of downtown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!chopperdanDined on 12/27/2013The scallops were Devine. Cashew nut chicken wonderful. Great service. They are flexible with orders. We added peanuts to. The chicken. Was great! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Christmas Eve DinnerDrakeDined on 12/24/2013I take my adult children and their partners out to dinner on Christmas eve. We were able to make a reservation and they were ready for us to seat on time. Excellent service and this is some of the best Chinese food in Utah. It is plated attractively and it tastes as good as it looks. My wife is Chinese and she usually complains about American Chinese food. She was happy with all the dishes. We ordered 6 plates and asked for it to be served family style and all were excellent. My daughter chose walnut shrimp. I am usually not a fan of walnut shrimp because it tends to be served too sweet. If you like walnut shrimp this is the place to get it. They start with quality prawns and they prepare it with just the right amount of sweetness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDennisDined on 12/21/2013We picked J Wong's Asian Bistro from the list of restaurants close to the event we were going to after. We had not been there before but they had great reviews so we thought we would try it. We were really pleased. The food was fantastic and the service was great. The valet service was great as well. I will recommend J Wong's to my friends and family anyone else that talk to that is looking for a wonderful eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before a balletRealkneelDined on 12/21/2013We are glad you are so close to the Capital Theater. We love eating at your place before performances there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for a big group!FoodieforlifeVIPDined on 12/7/2013We had a variety of items on the menu, and enjoyed everything. Our server was fantastic, with great wine recommendations...the 19 Crimes!! Thank you for providing a nice meal for a large group of out-of-towners!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Asian restaurant in Salt Lake1CaliftravelerDined on 10/4/2013One of the members of our group requested we have Asian food. The others all thought this meant "quick and cheap" but not necessarily a great dining experience. Nothing could be further from the truth with J. Wong. It was excellent! The food was marvelous and unique (Peking duck!) and the service was personalized and attentive. I strongly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet evening with the Mrs.JWongDined on 9/25/2013Great food, medium to small portion sizes. I found this pace on the SLC Dine 'O' Round. Excellent food eventhough it was a bit traditional for my taste it was great. Waitstaff was very friendly and eager to accommodate. It wasn't super busy when I went which added a bit of intimacy during the dinner. Overall great experience definitely going to check out the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Wong / Dine O' Round Fall 2013KenBevDined on 9/20/2013The Dine O' Round 3 course menu of Wontons, Walnut Shrimp/Chicken and Mango/Sweet Rice was superb! Beautiful presentation - took picture. Cetainly a bargain at $15.00. Ken and BevSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful food presentation,eaterDined on 9/16/2013beautiful food presentation, friendly service, attractive space, good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Asian food. BestOutOntheTownDined on 9/14/2013Outstanding Asian food. Best pot stickers and Pad Thai I've eaten in a long while. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at J. Wong'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2013My wife and I recently went to J. Wong's Asian Bistro to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The ambience was unexpectedly romantic and quite suitable for a special occasion. We were dining early before the restaurant got too crowded so the mood could change some with a packed house. They have private rooms for large parties. The food was excellent! High quality ingredients cooked to perfection. The meal rivaled our Chinese food dining experiences in New York City and San Francisco. We had the sizzling beef tenderloin, filet of sole and pan fried noodles. We plan to return and check out other menu options. The recommended wine also complimented the food nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicenisezzDined on 6/16/2013Best Asian cuisine I have ever had in my life. We plan on going back this week for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried several dishes andtheatergirlsDined on 6/8/2013We tried several dishes and enjoyed them all. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodAlanVIPDined on 5/17/20135 persons, 5 dishes, all excellent. 3 of them curry. Ask a knowledgeable server for descriptions of the curries.Special Features:
- Greta choice for ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2013I was in town on business with a colleague from New York, a foodie, and we both thought the food and service were well executed. I will add this place to my list of favorites in Salt Lake.Special Features:
- Asian cuisine with great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Outstanding find with atmosphere in downtown Salt Lake City. Food was exceptional with generous portions served family style to share. Appetizers were also outstanding in taste and presentation. Highly recommend for a dinner prior to the theater or while attending events at the Salt Palace as it is right across the street. We went one night for a romantic dinner for two and back the next night with a group. Tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean. Prices are very reasonable as well. Don't miss this one!Special Features:
- Great location for pre-theatrefoodieDined on 2/14/2013Great location for pre-theatre dinner. Bonus is free valet parking!
- Big crowd, no problemHarlarDined on 1/22/2013I often entertain large groups and took a party of 18 to this restaurant not knowing what to expect. Our waitress was so good I turned all ordering over to her. The dishes were excellent, the wine tasty and plentiful. We spent our time having fun and talking, not concerned with what food or wine was next. It was a superb night.Special Features: