J. Trani's Ristorante
584 W 9th St.
San Pedro, CA 90731Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
J. Trani's Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jtrani.com/
- Phone: (310) 832-1220
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dustin Trani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have full catering and banquet facilities. We can accommodate up to 100 people in our banquet room or cater an off premise event at your favorite venue. We are also a preferred vendor for the USS Iowa docked here in San Pedro and can cater your event on this historic ship.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties up to 20 people in a semi-private section in our main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Scott DiDomenico - General Manager 3104204050x
A word from J. Trani's Ristorante
On a typical Friday night at J. Trani's Ristorante, a visit to the dining room reveals a host of family and friends and the bar is bustling with a crowd that can only be described as enthusiastic. Most of the crowds are long time friends, but even those who aren't are made to feel like one of the family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
J. Trani's Ristorante - Best Restaurants in San Pedro ›
J. Trani's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (14)romantic (14)notable wine list (11)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- The food here is always excellent!LAWomanDined on 11/20/2014The pasta is perfectly cooked (al dente) and the dishes extremely savory. J. Trani never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2014OUTSTANDING!!!! There are not enough words for the potato truffle pizza! Most perfect seared ahi with brilliant red inside! The new Majestic menu is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GmnigalDined on 11/16/2014Our meals were delicious. The restaurant has the charm of an Italian restaurant of the 50'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truffle nightsanchezDined on 11/9/2014Always the best food, service, and time! We always know that we will be treated well here! And the food!!! The food is the best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredible place!CynthiaVIPDined on 11/9/2014This restaurant is absolutely incredible. From the food to the service. The food was so remarkable and such big portions that we went back the following day for dinner. Both Bobby and Pepe were the best servers. Made us feel special and took such good care of us. I can't wait to go back and try some of the other items. The pasta with braised short rib was amazing as well as the duck. The special pasta with hand cut spaghetti and truffle was to die for. Truly an unexpected surprise for us!Special Features:
- Old stylethebeachkidVIPDined on 10/12/2014Old style traditional Italian restaurant. Food was good not exceptional. Very service orientated. Wine list pretty good and some reasonably priced choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?TunaFanVIPDined on 10/2/2014I used to love this restaurant. This time it wasn't very good at all. I ordered the ahi tuna salad. I asked for my dressing on the side. I was served with just lettuce (like from a bag at the market) with the tuna on top. That's it. A let down from any other ahi salad i have had. Plain. It wasn't busy yet another table who came in after us, ordered, ate and left while we still did not receive our lunch. A woman in the bar was moaning and having issues like she was in pain and she got up started moaning in the entry area which happened to be behind our table. Shouldn't you call 911? Then she went back to the bar and moaned again. Weird/disruptive to someone dining. What happened to the Trani's as I knew it? Why go back?
- always fantastic!glutenfreelifeDined on 9/26/2014we love j. trani's anytime! i am gluten free and the staff is very knowledgeable and helps the kitchen keep my food choices appropriate AND delicious! ask to sit with teresa, she smiles all the time and treats you like you're the only customers she has (and still gets food out on time and goes wonderful service).Special Features:
- Great food and excellent servicetombDined on 9/20/2014This is our favorite spot to celebrate special occasions -- this most recent visit being an anniversary. Service was outstanding -- well before finding out that we were celebrating. And the food was delicious. Price was reasonable too making this a place to eat dinner for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Pedro gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The service and food rivals the best in Southern Cal. Accommodated my special request with enthusiasm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J Trani'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Very good Italian food and good menu choices. Great service. Good matini, extra olives with a smile. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 83 reviews are from the J. Trani's Ristorante reviews archive.
- great local restaurantkayeDined on 6/25/2014My husband and I have come here a few times. We love how its close to home and has great quality food. The staff is friendly and atmosphere is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMissDinahDined on 6/15/2014J. Trani's is a nice neighborhood gem with wonderful food and warm, cozy environment.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Amazing food and service like always! Never disappoints always on it with yummy tasting food and a very friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as usualRegularVIPDined on 6/1/2014We come here reguarly. This meal was vey good as it usually is. We will continue to frquent J Trani's.Special Features:
- Always specialJreviewerVIPDined on 5/16/2014J. Trani has become our favorite special occasion or just "let's treat ourselves to a good meal" restaurant. The food is consistently excellent and the service is always friendly and prompt. They offer excellent traditional Italian dishes, such as delicious rigatoni Bolognase, as well as more unusual options like to-die-for rigatoni with pulled tomato braised short ribs topped with fresh arugula and feta cheese, our family favorite. Another family favorite is the roasted duck. We also love the risotto balls appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/15/2014I loved this place the staff was friendly and had great knowledge great wine selection. The food is fresh and amazing I am def coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Romantic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014J. Trains was recommended by everyone in San Pedro we talked to. Any restaurant that has been in business since 1925 has to be doing something right! Justin our server was hands down one of the finest waiters we have ever had. Food was incredible and the price fair. Surroundings were perfect for what I planned to be a romantic evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, except for the ExpressoBT21Dined on 4/30/2014For San Pedro this is a very good gourmet restaurant with some interesting things on the menu including Risotto with Octopus. Had the Tuna Tartare for an appetizer and the charboiled Swordfish for my main entree. Both were exquisitely prepared. The place was busy on a Wednesday night after 8:30 PM, which surprized me for this town that rolls up the sidewalks early. The food prices are a little high, but well worth it except for the expresso. I ordered a double and it was a true small European double, but the price was $7 for it. I complained to the waiter and he went to check on it, but came back and said that is the price according to the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spot...JasmineBauerDined on 4/9/2014I was looking for a location to hold a business meeting and found this place online. The staff was very nice and accommodating. They set me up in a large table booth, as requested, and even kept us away from the crowd. They turned up the lights, and even offered to turn down the music to make sure we could hear each other, but the music level was already fine. The food was very tasty. Even the table bread had a suttle flavoring to it that was yummy. Service was great! I think it's a great little spot for two if you just want to drive somewhere for dinner. I'm not familiar with the area too much to know if there's much else to do. This restaurant has no lot. Parking is on the street, which I imagine during evening hours could be hard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemRonWVIPDined on 4/6/20141st time at the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. Food was delicious, service impeccable. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been here several times,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014I have been here several times, this time I brought my adult daughter. She loved it - said the calamari was the best she'd had. The food for me was better than ever...Special Features:
- Special Event DiningverypickyDined on 3/30/2014My husband grew up in San Pedro and I moved here about 30 years ago but it took my son to invite us here for a special occasion for us to try this place. We loved it! My son is in culinary school so you know the food has to be great. The atmosphere is lovely. I highly recommend this place and I have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food! Service wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Delicious food! Service wasn't that great made a reservation still had to wait also the waitress took forever getting back to us on anything we ordered! Other than that it was a great experience and will def visit again!Special Features:
- A great dining experienceMarcSDined on 3/15/2014As a child 45 years ago my mother would take us out to a place called Peppy's in San Pedro. FFWD to 2014. Mother now resides in nearby in assisted living. We do a monthly dinner. Last Saturday we wheeled my mother over for a meal at Trani's (former Peppy's location). The experience exceeded my expectations. Staff was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed the calamari appetizer, our entrees were the swordfish, salmon, butternut squash ravioli and we shared the flour less chocolate cake for dessert. All dishes were exceptional. It was somewhat of a surreal experience to return to this spot so many years later - yet we have unanimously decided to turn this into our regular monthly dining spot. It was that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/14/2014Another great dinner, the food and service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, aJudyDined on 3/14/2014Good food, good service, a friendly place where everybody knows your name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating PedroAJC1950Dined on 3/2/2014Good friendly professional service. we enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/22/2014I discovered Trani's online while looking for a restaurant in the area. The reviews were good, so we decided to try it. What a great choice. There were three of us so we shared two appetizers. They were both delicious especially the smoked swordfish. My husband had a beet salad that was one of the specials. It was really amazing. We had three different entrees; the mushroom ravioli, the chop, and the veal parmigiana (another special that evening). My favorite was the veal parmigian. The menu is large, so there are plenty of options.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!LusantsDined on 2/22/2014A girlfriend and I came here for a catch-up dinner. The food was amazing, wine list was great and we had wonderful service. I have been here before and whether it is for a romantic dinner or a group of friend getting together, it is a wonderful restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine wednesdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/19/201450% off wine on Wednesday along with great seafood makes this a special place in San Pedro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great dining experienceGregVIPDined on 2/17/2014Always a great dining experience at one of my favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was not so great on Valentines Day. For example, the steak was very fatty. But, usually everything is outstanding!Special Features:
- Great throughout the yearsEating4FunDined on 2/11/2014Trani's has been the best, or one of the best, restaurants in San Pedro for many years. I've been away from the area for a few years and was delighted to find that it still keeps up its wonderful standards. We were a group of six and were seated at a round table in the middle of the dining room. We could all easily converse with each other, and everyone enjoyed their meals and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very wholesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014Good food with very cozy ambience. Next time will try their pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodsocaldanielDined on 2/8/2014Great food, we had the "New Style Calamari" as an appetizer and it was awesome. I had the Braised Short Rib Pasta and My date had the sward fish with the truffle mash potatoes (an upgrade but WELL worth it) both were fantastic! We also split a side order of the Italian sausages and I think that was the best thing we had all night... simply wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLoriVIPDined on 2/7/2014Wonderful food - real treat which we found through Open Table.Special Features:
- Italian Family Does it RightTenaciousGVIPDined on 1/26/2014This 90-year institution is one of the only places in kicky little San Pedro to enjoy a delicious Italian dinner. Or THE only place. Four generations of Trani's have served terrific food in a lovely traditional atmosphere. South Bay residents don't have to trek to Beverly Hills' DOMA because chef Dustin Trani's touch is definitely still felt at "home." We brought west side guests, who raved about the restaurant on their first visit and want to return. We wish we had experienced it sooner ourselves. Great dishes. lots to choose from, generous portions. The service was excellent. We couldn't linger that night, nor sample the wine - we'll want to do both on another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014great food. slow service. table ready for us at appropriate time.
- Seems somewhat overpricedLymalaVIPDined on 12/11/2013Not your typical Italian menu, slanted towards trendy food pairings to justify higher prices. Good food though.Special Features: