J. Trani's Ristorante
584 W 9th St.
San Pedro, CA 90731Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
J. Trani's Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jtrani.com/
- Phone: 3108321220
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dustin Trani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have full catering and banquet facilities. We can accommodate up to 125 people in our banquet room or cater an off premise event at your favorite venue. We are also a preferred vendor for the USS Iowa docked here in San Pedro and can cater your event on this historic ship.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties up to 18 people in a semi-private section elevated just above our main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Scott DiDomenico 3104204050
A word from J. Trani's Ristorante
On a typical Friday night at J. Trani's Ristorante, a visit to the dining room reveals a host of family and friends and the bar is bustling with a crowd that can only be described as enthusiastic. Most of the crowds are long time friends, but even those who aren't are made to feel like one of the family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
J. Trani's Ristorante - Best Restaurants in San Pedro ›
J. Trani's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (9)romantic (8)notable wine list (7)good for groups (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- San Pedro gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The service and food rivals the best in Southern Cal. Accommodated my special request with enthusiasm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J Trani'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Very good Italian food and good menu choices. Great service. Good matini, extra olives with a smile. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local restaurantkayeDined on 6/25/2014My husband and I have come here a few times. We love how its close to home and has great quality food. The staff is friendly and atmosphere is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMissDinahDined on 6/15/2014J. Trani's is a nice neighborhood gem with wonderful food and warm, cozy environment.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Amazing food and service like always! Never disappoints always on it with yummy tasting food and a very friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as usualRegularVIPDined on 6/1/2014We come here reguarly. This meal was vey good as it usually is. We will continue to frquent J Trani's.Special Features:
- The following 79 reviews are from the J. Trani's Ristorante reviews archive.
- Always specialJreviewerVIPDined on 5/16/2014J. Trani has become our favorite special occasion or just "let's treat ourselves to a good meal" restaurant. The food is consistently excellent and the service is always friendly and prompt. They offer excellent traditional Italian dishes, such as delicious rigatoni Bolognase, as well as more unusual options like to-die-for rigatoni with pulled tomato braised short ribs topped with fresh arugula and feta cheese, our family favorite. Another family favorite is the roasted duck. We also love the risotto balls appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/15/2014I loved this place the staff was friendly and had great knowledge great wine selection. The food is fresh and amazing I am def coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Romantic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014J. Trains was recommended by everyone in San Pedro we talked to. Any restaurant that has been in business since 1925 has to be doing something right! Justin our server was hands down one of the finest waiters we have ever had. Food was incredible and the price fair. Surroundings were perfect for what I planned to be a romantic evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, except for the ExpressoBT21Dined on 4/30/2014For San Pedro this is a very good gourmet restaurant with some interesting things on the menu including Risotto with Octopus. Had the Tuna Tartare for an appetizer and the charboiled Swordfish for my main entree. Both were exquisitely prepared. The place was busy on a Wednesday night after 8:30 PM, which surprized me for this town that rolls up the sidewalks early. The food prices are a little high, but well worth it except for the expresso. I ordered a double and it was a true small European double, but the price was $7 for it. I complained to the waiter and he went to check on it, but came back and said that is the price according to the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanetfuntoeatDined on 4/24/2014This was a wonderful experience. i used to go to this restaurant many years ago when it was Peppy's. Somehow I have wondered away over the years. Now that it is J. Trani it is every bit as good as I always remembered. I am so glad my friends and I gave it a another try! Janet FogleSpecial Features:
- Great little spot...JasmineBauerDined on 4/9/2014I was looking for a location to hold a business meeting and found this place online. The staff was very nice and accommodating. They set me up in a large table booth, as requested, and even kept us away from the crowd. They turned up the lights, and even offered to turn down the music to make sure we could hear each other, but the music level was already fine. The food was very tasty. Even the table bread had a suttle flavoring to it that was yummy. Service was great! I think it's a great little spot for two if you just want to drive somewhere for dinner. I'm not familiar with the area too much to know if there's much else to do. This restaurant has no lot. Parking is on the street, which I imagine during evening hours could be hard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemRonWVIPDined on 4/6/20141st time at the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. Food was delicious, service impeccable. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been here several times,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014I have been here several times, this time I brought my adult daughter. She loved it - said the calamari was the best she'd had. The food for me was better than ever...Special Features:
- Special Event DiningverypickyDined on 3/30/2014My husband grew up in San Pedro and I moved here about 30 years ago but it took my son to invite us here for a special occasion for us to try this place. We loved it! My son is in culinary school so you know the food has to be great. The atmosphere is lovely. I highly recommend this place and I have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food! Service wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Delicious food! Service wasn't that great made a reservation still had to wait also the waitress took forever getting back to us on anything we ordered! Other than that it was a great experience and will def visit again!Special Features:
- A great dining experienceMarcSDined on 3/15/2014As a child 45 years ago my mother would take us out to a place called Peppy's in San Pedro. FFWD to 2014. Mother now resides in nearby in assisted living. We do a monthly dinner. Last Saturday we wheeled my mother over for a meal at Trani's (former Peppy's location). The experience exceeded my expectations. Staff was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed the calamari appetizer, our entrees were the swordfish, salmon, butternut squash ravioli and we shared the flour less chocolate cake for dessert. All dishes were exceptional. It was somewhat of a surreal experience to return to this spot so many years later - yet we have unanimously decided to turn this into our regular monthly dining spot. It was that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/14/2014Another great dinner, the food and service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, aJudyDined on 3/14/2014Good food, good service, a friendly place where everybody knows your name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating PedroAJC1950Dined on 3/2/2014Good friendly professional service. we enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/22/2014I discovered Trani's online while looking for a restaurant in the area. The reviews were good, so we decided to try it. What a great choice. There were three of us so we shared two appetizers. They were both delicious especially the smoked swordfish. My husband had a beet salad that was one of the specials. It was really amazing. We had three different entrees; the mushroom ravioli, the chop, and the veal parmigiana (another special that evening). My favorite was the veal parmigian. The menu is large, so there are plenty of options.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!LusantsDined on 2/22/2014A girlfriend and I came here for a catch-up dinner. The food was amazing, wine list was great and we had wonderful service. I have been here before and whether it is for a romantic dinner or a group of friend getting together, it is a wonderful restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine wednesdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/19/201450% off wine on Wednesday along with great seafood makes this a special place in San Pedro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great dining experienceGregVIPDined on 2/17/2014Always a great dining experience at one of my favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was not so great on Valentines Day. For example, the steak was very fatty. But, usually everything is outstanding!Special Features:
- Great throughout the yearsEating4FunDined on 2/11/2014Trani's has been the best, or one of the best, restaurants in San Pedro for many years. I've been away from the area for a few years and was delighted to find that it still keeps up its wonderful standards. We were a group of six and were seated at a round table in the middle of the dining room. We could all easily converse with each other, and everyone enjoyed their meals and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very wholesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014Good food with very cozy ambience. Next time will try their pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodsocaldanielDined on 2/8/2014Great food, we had the "New Style Calamari" as an appetizer and it was awesome. I had the Braised Short Rib Pasta and My date had the sward fish with the truffle mash potatoes (an upgrade but WELL worth it) both were fantastic! We also split a side order of the Italian sausages and I think that was the best thing we had all night... simply wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLoriVIPDined on 2/7/2014Wonderful food - real treat which we found through Open Table.Special Features:
- Italian Family Does it RightTenaciousGVIPDined on 1/26/2014This 90-year institution is one of the only places in kicky little San Pedro to enjoy a delicious Italian dinner. Or THE only place. Four generations of Trani's have served terrific food in a lovely traditional atmosphere. South Bay residents don't have to trek to Beverly Hills' DOMA because chef Dustin Trani's touch is definitely still felt at "home." We brought west side guests, who raved about the restaurant on their first visit and want to return. We wish we had experienced it sooner ourselves. Great dishes. lots to choose from, generous portions. The service was excellent. We couldn't linger that night, nor sample the wine - we'll want to do both on another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014great food. slow service. table ready for us at appropriate time.
- Seems somewhat overpricedLymalaDined on 12/11/2013Not your typical Italian menu, slanted towards trendy food pairings to justify higher prices. Good food though.Special Features:
- We always enjoy dining atOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/6/2013We always enjoy dining at J. Trani's. Juston is our favorite waiter and he is so polite and gracious towards us We took my Mother in for her Birthday dinner and she was very happy with her dinner of fresh scallops with asparagus. Thank you for such fine service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Pedro's FinestMellyMelDined on 12/1/2013Excellent food & staff. They definitely make you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- manager Bobbie is great, alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/23/2013manager Bobbie is great, always ready to help, service is usually good.Special Features:
- we love this placeRegularVIPDined on 11/17/2013We don't go here often enough. Every time we do, we love it. Great food. Great service. The hostess, management and wait staff really care about having your business.Special Features:
- Food/Service excellent Tip NOTRahproVIPDined on 11/16/2013My wife's family has been coming here for decades The food and service are always excellent. However I presume a new policy to add the tip to the bill at 20% (with no notification and very small printing) fro all tables (we were a 4 top with 2 adults and 2 children, has made this a place we will not go to again. Sad. I am a big tipper and almost always tip 20% unless service requires something else. But I will not be told on a small party how much to tip.Special Features:
- Been around forever!Care2dineDined on 11/15/2013Trani's has a wonderful reputation and loyal following... My recent dining experience wasy 3rd time there! While I realize it is a highly respected restaurant among locals, there are a few things I would refurbish and/or upgrade like, for example, upon entry, the first impression lacks ambience. The furniture (especially the chairs) were simply uncomfortable to sit in for 2 hrs or more. The walls could use a softer paint color.... And maybe some interesting artwork and pictures... Everyone is squeezed in so tight it is difficult to engage in dinner conversation without shouting!Special Features:
- We truly enjoyed the foodJo4RealDined on 11/9/2013We truly enjoyed the food the new calamari is wonderful our entrees were delicious lasagna and short ribs. Can't say enough about our waiter Justin he was very attentive great personality. I made the reservation on open table and put in a note we were celebrating a birthday they surprised us with a candle lit dessert. Very special will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely return againOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Good food and prompt service; even with a full dining room. The exterior could use a face-lift. If it weren't for word of mouth and excellent Yelp reviews, I might not have chosen this restaurant based on the curb appeal. Enjoyed delicious braised meatballs as an apetizer and gnocchi for the main entree. A generously-sized house salad came with the entree. Others in my party enjoyed the minestrone soup, spinach ravioli, and rigatoni. All received rave reviews.Special Features: