J Paulz - Mt Pleasant
1405 Ben Sawyer Blvd
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J Paulz - Mt Pleasant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jpaulz.com/
- Phone: (843)884-2425
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Tue: 4:00 pm - 12:00 pm
Wed - Sat: 4:00 pm - 2:00 am
Sun: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J Paulz - Mt Pleasant
J.Paul'z offers amazing food, infused cocktails, and exceptional wines. We serve New American Tapas and Sushi, as well as contemporary full scale entrees. Menu items range from Moroccan Chicken Satays and Portobello Mushroom Tarts to Sage Roasted Chicken with Gouda cheese grits and our new crowd favorite Drunken Pork Osso Bucco with Sweet Potato Ravioli. Menu prices range from $6-21. J. Paul'z offers on-site catering as well as off-site catering and bar services. Looking for a place to hold your next party? J. Paul'z hosts parties from 10-100 people. Bridal and baby showers, birthday, holiday, office and anniversary parties, as well as rehearsal dinners and receptions, we can hold them all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J Paulz - Mt Pleasant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Regular customerNeighborDined on 1/1/2014We go to J Paulz regularly as it is very convenient to our home on Sullivans IsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Switch from Mt Plesant to MaybankAltavistaDined on 11/6/2013Business meeting dinner became confused on which J Paulz to go to. I went to Mt Pleasant, other two to James Island Location on Maybank Hwy. Salmon was excellent,. Highly recommended. Decor at Maybank could use upfit, but food was excellent. Noise level accomodated business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT servicekenmerDined on 10/26/2013The wait staff and the host were very polite and knowledgeable about the food,drinks, and the art which decorates the entire restaurant. We will be returning to this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special outingFriendsdineoutDined on 10/17/2013It was very good although for a person who doesn't try new foods there was no plain food. The Mac and Cheese was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeDavidVIPDined on 10/4/2013Been seeing it as I drive by and on OpenTable. Decided to give it a try. It was nice. It is a tapas and sushi place. But, it also has some nice regular full type dishes like roasted salmon or roasted shrimp at this time. I had the Roasted Shrimp which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was very quietOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/29/2013The restaurant was very quiet because it was not that full. The food was good, reliable, but somewhat basic. I think the concept is great - Japanese and tapas gives you and your table lots of options.Special Features:
- New Friendbossy2Dined on 9/15/2013The restaurant's food, service, and atmosphere was GREAT. It was my first time visiting, but rest assure it will not be my last..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good Sunday BrunchluvgoodfoodDined on 9/15/2013Met a few friends to catch up on everything. It was not very busy, so we didn't feel pressured to leave - stayed a few hours laughing and talking. We all agreed the food was great - steak & bleu omelette was just right and my friends enjoyed the Eggs Benedict, and the steak & fries. The $3 Bloody Mary and Mimosa drinks were excellent - we had a few!. Our server was professional and engaging - she knew to let us take our time and never hovered - didn't even try to remove plates before everyone had finished! I hope business picks up for Sunday brunch - hard to find a good restaurant that offers that - but we're going to be back soon for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekSuesDined on 9/14/2013Enjoyed ambience , food good, but small portions and out of some selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exhausting.TMcGeeDined on 9/13/20132.5 hours for a substandard dinner during restaurant week. Portions were tasty, yet very small. You can conjure up a strong appetite when it takes 1:45 minutes to get your food. People were getting their food at different times, consant requsts for water refills, etc...The service was below poor. The restaurant didn't seem busy. Then, there was a 20% tip already included...that was rich! We had them remove it, which is our standard tip rate, and gave her 10% bc I felt bad, the manger wasn't very apologetic for the awful dining experience. I would never come back to this restaurant bc there isn't anything to lure us.
- Great timeKfoodieDined on 9/13/2013The tuna tartar is excellent!! Great wine list. I have been twice now, and unfortunately the second time was not as good as the first. During restaurant week the creme brûlée was delivered and it was not set (very runny). The shrimp dish was good, but not outstanding. Will definitely give it another shot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good not greatchsguyDined on 9/13/2013brisket was good - a little dry - chicken breast was very good as were collards.....never got a chance to voice any pleasure/displeasure with our server as he was too busy turnin and burnin to get em in and get em out, but in his defense that's probably the way they work it when they offer the restaurant week specials. probably will not return - management was not very much involved.. get more involvement from management when we visit gilligans.
- Fabulous! My two friends andDedeDined on 9/13/2013Fabulous! My two friends and I went to J Paulz Friday night during Restaurant Week because I went online and saw the menu. We all were very impressed with the excellent service and the delicious food. We will return! Thank you Delores HollenSpecial Features:
- Restaurant weekJLRinMPDined on 9/8/2013We went for restaurant week and was very pleased with the menu options and price. Great service and a nice wine selection. We have been here several times and will continue to come. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCdubDined on 9/6/2013We had heard good things about this restaurant, and were excited to try it out. Service was slow, and the food was below average. I really don't like giving negative feedback, but have no choice. One positive is that the staff is very friendly.
- Not my favoritedinneroutDined on 9/5/2013This was a disappointing restaurant week experience. The salad was good but things went downhill after that. We were told that you were out of several items and the entree wasn't cooked well. When we asked the waiter he said "well, this isn't our normal menu and frankly the regular menu is way better than this!" If only we'd know that earlier we wouldn't have gone to J Paulz for Restaurant Week.
- Slow service...every timemld364VIPDined on 8/17/2013Lobster Mac is to die for but sushi is better at the grocery stores.
- Birthday DinnerLindaDined on 8/9/2013I chose J Paulz for my birthday dinner because my husband and I have enjoyed dining there many times and I knew my friends would enjoy it too. We we not disappointed. One of our favorites is the cheese board, and another is the wild mushroom linguine.Special Features:
- Date night at J PaulzOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2013Hubby and I had great night! Fresh local tomatoes made caprese salad fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Pleasant in Mt. PleasantmkkpaDined on 7/13/2013We had a party of 9 and were looking for a place to have dinner at the last minute. As soon as I opened the door I had a good feeling about this place. From the host to the server to the food runners to the manager, everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The food was great! Not one complaint and we had some picky eaters with us! We will definitely keep J'Paulz on our short list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2013Great place to go with friends and nosh on tapas and chat. Pretty quiet. We went on a Thursday night about 7pm.Special Features:
- Good Food - lacking serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/29/2013The food was great. Loved the menu choices. But it took over an hr to get our food. Glad I was with some great friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, decent foodsmazzyDined on 6/22/2013The waitress was wonderful. Fresh caught salmon would have been delicious, but it was a little too salty. The shrimp and risotto was ok, as was the butternut squash ravioli. The appetizers of pita and spreads, plus the calamari was great!Special Features:
- Friday nightIOPDinersDined on 6/8/2013J Paulz has a friendly, competent staff, but the food was good only. I ordered the mussels, and they were truly the smallest mussels I have ever seen, ever. I didn't even know they harvested them that small. The flavor was good, a little bland, it could have used a bit more garlic, but good. A friend had the tuna appetizer which was great. The other two had short ribs. Neither of them thought they were tender enough, but they liked the flavor. So, Ii guess the chef is good at flavoring the food, but perhaps the food ingredients are not high quality enough? I would go back though and give them another chance.
- We wanted a light dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/24/2013We wanted a light dinner and J Paulz looked perfect - tapas and sushi. The food was very good. We had dips & pita, sushi, and mac & cheese. All were very tasty, especially the mac & cheese. Would not have found this restaurant if not looking on Open Table since it is kind of hard to find. It's not a far drive from Sullivan's Island - just over the bridge. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food option for Mt PlspxVIPDined on 5/20/2013The shrimp crab cake was bad, but the sushi, mac & cheese, tuna and chocolate dessert were very good. I will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a birthday party for 10.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2013Had a birthday party for 10. Very nice and accommodating. Food was very good and the atmosphere was very nice. First time we has been there. I would definitely recommend and go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2013Once again we found this the place to meet with good friends for a great experience with friends. Great waitstaff and terrific food- good selectionSpecial Features:
- Was very noisy! Had to sitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/30/2013Was very noisy! Had to sit outside as a large bar group had taken over the restaurant. Not good planning.
- Hidden Gem Can you sayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2013Hidden Gem Can you say 4 Different types of the BEST Mac and Cheese you will ever haveSpecial Features:
- Nothing SpecialMotherDined on 3/31/2013Restaurant online would not let us add a seat to our reservation for 4, yet when we got there the tables were half empty. It was dark and didn't look too clean. The waitress and/or kitchen was very slow in taking our order and being around to help, despite the fact that the place was not busy. The wine at $9 a glass was mediocre and burned my esophagus. They were out of two sides, including grits, which strikes me as odd. The fries were the same kind you can buy in the frozen foods at the grocery store. Need I say more?
- We had a great experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2013We had a great experience, good food, good service, overall a nice dining experience! Will come back again!Special Features:
- Easter BrunchteresahsVIPDined on 3/31/2013We had 11:00 reservations for Easter brunch. We waited for over an hour for our food to come out. When it arrived, it was just so-so. We will not return to J Paulz.
- Great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013I waited until the last minute to make reservations for Easter Brunch. While I frequent JPaulz for happy hour or early evening outings, it wasn't our first choice for brunch, simply because I wasn't familiar with their brunch set up. That said, I couldn't be happier that we ended up there. My parents were thrilled and are still talking about it. The service was awesome, the food was fantastic, and although it was crowded by the time we left, we had no problems with noise and were able to have a conversation all through brunch.Special Features:
- I have dined at the JamesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013I have dined at the James Island location before this was my first time at the Mount Pleasant location. I enjoyed dining here, location, seervice and food were great and I will dine at this location again.There were two things that missed the mark, when we entered the restaurant and approached the hostess station there was a bowl of food sitting where someone was obviously standing there eating. The guest that I dined with complained about the taste of the tea and that the soft drink was flat. My mixed drink however was great.Special Features:
- staff was amazing - had aandyVIPDined on 2/27/2013staff was amazing - had a large group event there - 30 people and staff accommodated us allSpecial Features:
- Food was just not up to par.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Food was just not up to par. We specifically asked that our muffins for the eggs benedict be toasted on both sides, they were not. Food was not hot, just warm. It was not busy at the time so I felt they should have not had the errors. Waiter was good.
- Our third visit the firstdisasterVIPDined on 2/17/2013Our third visit the first and third were excellent the second, which was during resturant week, was a service problem In general, we like it a lotSpecial Features:
- Our New Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Our server Mary was outstanding- she made great recommendations - great wine - wonderful food. Just a great place- we will be going back soon !Special Features:
- We went for Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We went for Valentine's Day and it was delightful. We were not rushed and the waiter was very helpful.