J Paulz - James Island
1739 Maybank Hwy Ste V
Charleston, SC 29412Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J Paulz - James Island
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jpaulz.com/
- Phone: 8437956995x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Monica Farrell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: J. Paulz provides complete catering services. Please visit www..jpaulz.com and see our Catering Guide for more details!
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room will comfortably seat 30 for dinner and our lounge will seat 25 patrons.
- Private Party Contact: Robert 8437956995x
A word from J Paulz - James Island
J. Paul'z offers amazing food, infused cocktails, and exceptional wines. We serve New American Tapas and Sushi, as well as contemporary full scale entrees. Menu items range from Moroccan Chicken Satays and Portobello Mushroom Tarts to Sage Roasted Chicken with Gouda cheese grits and our new crowd favorite Drunken Pork Osso Bucco with Sweet Potato Ravioli. Menu prices range from $6-21. J. Paul'z offers on-site catering as well as off-site catering and bar services. Looking for a place to hold your next party? J. Paul'z hosts parties from 10-100 people. Bridal and baby showers, birthday, holiday, office and anniversary parties, as well as rehearsal dinners and receptions, we can hold them all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J Paulz - James Island reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food was absolutely excellent,KatieDined on 3/8/2014The food was absolutely excellent, the service was very good, however, the interior was a little strange. I would go there again for the food anytime, but only in a group.Special Features:
- Great place and very good food.YomamasixDined on 2/24/2014I noticed that in a few of the reviews say that this is a bad place. In my experience this has been a wonderful place to eat. Try the truffle mac and cheese you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Why did we wait so long?MorriliDined on 2/15/2014Finally decided to try J. Paulz after several years of hearing about it. We waited so long because the majority of the menu seems to be sushi-oriented and we are not fans of sushi. We discovered several things on a recent Sat. night: they offer an excellent traditional martini and some non-sushi entrees that are absolutely delicious. My husband ordered the sliders 3 ways and I had the short rib with smoked gouda grits. We would recommend both. Our waiter Troy was very attentive, but not smothering. The food was delivered to us within an acceptable window of time and we did not experience a long wait like some other diners have mentioned. I should add that we dined early in the evening, around 7 PM. We shall return...Special Features:
- Bad ServicefdcriticDined on 2/15/2014Made Reservations 2 weeks advance. Filet was sold out, Salmon appetizer is on website menu but not available at restaurant. Waiter was slow, claimed he was short staffed and had to many tables to wait due to new J Paulz in Mt.Pleasant had all the help over there. Just very disappointed with whole dining experience..We invited our out of town friends both of Us were celebrating our Anniversaries & Valentine's.Special Features:
- Good food... great service....KathyDined on 2/15/2014Good food... great service.... nice environment.... would like a bigger menu selection...I would go back again and recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there and was aSuperCrabDined on 2/14/2014First time there and was a great experience. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food with slow service.FoodmanDined on 2/14/2014Average food with slow service. Too expensive for overall experienceSpecial Features:
- Macoroni!TuxedoDined on 2/14/2014What a wonderful experience. The service was excellent. We ordered each of the four macoroni options and mixed and matche each one an loved them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server inattentive and extremelyRwellsDined on 1/18/2014Server inattentive and extremely slow. Had to leave before dessert was served. She did not seem to care.
- Ok overallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/14/2014Overall the experience was fine, but the pasta was very bland. I don't use a lot of salt, but this dish definitely needs that plus other seasoning. The staff was very polite and attentive. They accidentally cooked chicken for me also, so it was nice that they brought it out. Thought it was a little dry though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Pauls DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/12/2014Liked the food and the atmosphere. The Sunday night band was very pleasant, not too loud and good selection. Only slight complaint was the service both bar and food was rather slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing too specialkateDined on 1/12/2014It was quiet when we dined there but it was more like a grill and bar than a place for good quality food.Special Features:
- J.Paulz DisappointmentJPExplorerDined on 1/11/2014Went here during Restaurant Week. Sports Bar atmosphere with noise. Food was only fair and portions seemed to be cut in half. Service was poor. We had to repeatedly ask for things that should accompany a meal. Silverware was not properly washed and had to ask for clean forks and spoons. Might be a good place as a bar scene but we thought it would be a nicer dining experience. We will not try again.Special Features:
- enjoyed our mealLynneVIPDined on 1/10/2014We love the atmosphere at J Paulz and we had a great dinner. We were headed for a movie, and maybe should have ordered right away, instead of enjoying our drinks, but the waiter got busy, did not really tend our table very closely to monitor progress, and our meal came out very, very slow, and we were late for the movie. It was partly our fault, but the service was slower than we expected, so we mis-judged. Otherwise, everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedPanthergirlDined on 1/8/2014The food was good but not great. The service was very good and the staff was very friendly. I think the restaurant appeals to the younger crowd and that's whom I would recommend dine or mingle here. They have a large bar and some smaller, cozy type rooms with couches where it looks like you can have a drink, relax and socialize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveBluesdogDined on 12/31/2013We Love this Place! We had a great evening, a fantastic dinner, and the service was exceptional! This food is good every time we come, and this is our 10th visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...casual atmosphereSlghornDined on 12/19/2013Our group of 4 visited J Paulz prior to our drive through The Festival of Lights and it was a perfect choice. We each had several of the tapas choices (the truffle mac and cheese was incredible)...although had we wanted a full meal those were also available on the menu. This was a perfect location to sit, socialize, have a few drinks and some more "social" food. Will definitely go with a group again.Special Features:
- Sensitive palletSensitivepalletDined on 11/2/2013I had the short rib. It was delicious. The smoked Gouda grits were fabulous. However my husband ordered the steak Frits and was told that they ran out of the steak for that meal. This happened on a Saturday night at 6 PM. He was offered the fillet steak and when he received it it was prepared as if it went with the fillet dinner. It came with the french fries. The steak was not cooked to his asking. We will not be going back. My son used to go to J Paul's and really enjoyed it. I believe it was the atmosphere that he liked.
- Fresh, Flavorful DiningMbnicholsVIPDined on 10/12/2013My husband and I tried J Paultz for,the first time, Saturday evening. We tried the Caprese salad, seared wasabi tuna (twice), and the crunch roll. Everything we ordered certainly met to our satisfaction. We opted for more of the tapas portion of the menu due to a late lunch....but hope to try this restaurant again when we have larger appetites. We had Troy as our server.....he was friendly, informative, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second time atLynneVIPDined on 10/3/2013This was our second time at J Paulz and we enjoyed it as much as the last time. This time we enjoyed the sushi! We'll come again - it works well for us for dinner when we drive over to the Terrace Theater for a matinee!Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceMongooseDined on 9/14/2013I visited J. Paulz during restaurant week and was very happy with all aspects if the meal. I found the food to be tasty and well prepared. The service and atmosphere were delightful. I am looking outward to going back and will definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly delightfulSunshineDined on 9/7/2013The food was very well seasoned and served in well-sized portions. The service was quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do 5 people work there?MattDined on 9/6/2013Very very slow on the first Friday of restraunt week. Not sure what was wrong but there were one or two servers for the entire place and we waited forever. Food was good though.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2013We found the music to loud, we asked for Iced Tea (All Out) when came for dessert we asked for one of the items featured on the menu, (All Out) and portions were very small. We wont be back.......Special Features:
- Driving byGooseCreekGobblerDined on 9/5/2013Always wanted to stop and finally did. 3 for 20 restaurant week deal was excellent. Roast chicken breast seasoned and cooked perfectly. Terrific creme brûlée.Special Features:
- celebrated my birthday withtinaDined on 7/17/2013celebrated my birthday with five special friends, all of us island girls. excellent food and service. equally excellent was shrimp city slim playing his music while we were there. he really made my birthday special. he even sang a song in honor of me "tini neni nu".. we really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2013Our waiter Chris was wonderful. He was very attentive, knew the food items and made some wonderful suggestions. We were there before for Restuarant week and it was great then as well. So we decided to come in for Tapas, everything was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friday night!elizabeth292Dined on 6/7/2013had a great dinner-the gouda mac and cheese is one of the best i have EVER had. the service was fantastic. the sangria was not classic/original and tasted a bit watered down but besides that my group was extremely pleased w/ the evening. will 100% return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSparkyDined on 6/1/2013Nice atmosphere, good food, quick service, but never rushed. Very relaxing. We had a sampling of the tapas, salads, entrees, plus, of course the macaroni and all was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott, our waiter, was awesomeMemorialDayweekendDined on 5/25/2013Scott, our waiter, was awesome - very knowledgeable about menu and very attentive. Thanks for a great seamless dinner. We had a large group and he was great. You have to order the truffle mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for Mothers Day Brunch. TheSundayBrunchDined on 5/12/2013We went for Mothers Day Brunch. The waiter was not good. Did not explain anything. Delivered food and left. We had no Salt/Pepper, he didnt ask if we need anything. When we arrived, the Hostess was texting, we had to wait for her to be attentive. The seat cushions were torn open and you could see the foam. AppleBees would have been a better dining experience.Special Features:
- Awesome as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013I have brunch here about twice a month. It was great as it always is...Special Features:
- Waiter very helpful, perhapsHappyDined on 4/26/2013Waiter very helpful, perhaps a bit too friendly. Service very good but place not packed on FRiday night after 8:00.Special Features:
- Limited menu Sunday Brunch.place2loveDined on 4/14/2013Limited menu Sunday Brunch. Write up didn't mention that and we arrived expecting a seafood lunch. Hostess was friendly and directed us to another restaurant.
- Great neighborhood eatery!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013GREAT neighborhood restaurant, close to home :)! My husband and I met two other couples for dinner. We sat in the lounge seating area in the back. Very relaxed setting, took our time eating drinking, eating some more and drinking some more! A little bit pricy, but you get great service and food!!! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantsuegarroDined on 3/23/2013Went there with 2 friends. Our waiter was great, very friendly & attentive. We all tried the calamari appetizer which was tender and tasty. 2 of our party had the short ribs which were very good. I had the veggie rolls and butternut squash ravioli (2 appetizers); the rolls were yummy but I was a bit disappointed with the ravioli as it did not have much taste. We ordered the pomegranate sangria for the table which needed a bit of sweetening. This is a casual restaurant and the experience was very pleasant. We would certainly return. There is a pleasant outdoor area which will be very nice when the weather warms up.Special Features:
- Great sushi and tapas, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013Great sushi and tapas, and a lot of drinks available. We enjoyed every dish we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were verydiscerningdinerDined on 3/12/2013Service and food were very good. Would go back again. A bot out of the way but worth the trip.Special Features:
- It has been a while sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2013It has been a while since I have been to JPaulz. I was so pleasantly surprised as was the party i was with. Believe it or not it was one of the best meals I have had in any restaurant in Charleston!!! Outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Good food & place. The firstOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2013Good food & place. The first table they sat us at was great for cocktails or tapas but not suitable for dinner with older people in the party.They moved us to a different table that suited our party much better. The hostess did a great job and had a smile on her face. We will return.Special Features: