J. Paul's - Georgetown
3218 M. St. N.W.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Paul's - Georgetown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.j-pauls.com/
- Phone: 2023333450
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:30am-2:00am Friday-Saturday: 11:30am-3:00am Sunday: 10:30am-2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Tom Crenshaw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The 1889 Room at the original J. Paul’s in Georgetown has become an institution in Washington, D.C. Enjoy private dining in our 1889 Room, located on the 2nd floor of J. Paul’s. Its mahogany walls, wood floors and eclectic style give the room a warm, classy and cozy atmosphere. Long, magnificent windows overlook historic M Street, in the heart of Georgetown. This room is great for all occasions: birthdays, holiday parties, rehearsal dinners, celebrations, business luncheons, cocktail parties, and even televised sporting events.
- Private Party Contact: J.Paul's Private Dining 202)339-6833
- Entertainment: Lively bar area is perfect for every occasion, and there's a large private meeting room upstairs perfect for corporate events or private dinner. and of course, liven up Sunday with brunch at J. Paul's! From Hangover Hash to the J. P. Scramble, you won't leave hungry! Our signature Bloody Mary cannot be beat, and our Irish Coffee is a real eye opener. Join us, Sunday's from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
A word from J. Paul's - Georgetown
J. Paul’s is Washington’s quintessential turn of the century American Dining Saloon. The J. Paul’s bar in Georgetown is itself a 100 year old mahogany shotgun bar, built by the Brunswick Balke Coolander Company and was previously housed in a grand saloon in the Chicago stockyards. Many will swear over their scotch that Al Capone himself bellied up to that very bar. Antique brass elevator doors from New York’s Waldorf Astoria frame the back dining room. A few short blocks from the Potomac River, in the heart of fashionable Georgetown, the original J. Paul’s has become an institution. Every day, politicians, journalists, artists, business people and Washington personalities share tables with students, tourists and ex-Pats in the nation’s capital. Don't miss out on a visit to this DC institution!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J. Paul's - Georgetown reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (23)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (20)good for groups (19)great for brunch (15)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (11)scenic view (9)late-night find (8)romantic (8)fit for foodies (7)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- J-P's Seafood crushes itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Possibly the best callamari I've had. Tuna w mash delicious. Seeker cab sav my new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodseekerDined on 8/28/2014Always love the charm of this great building. The food is outstanding. We ordered lots of their appetizers and raw bar delights.Special Features:
- Good EnoughToudelooVIPDined on 8/1/2014But don't get the buttermilk fried chicken salad. :( Service was great.
- Good but AverageTKaeDined on 7/28/2014J.Paul's has the feel of a cookie cutter chain restaurant. The food was average at best. A plus: I was seated promptly even though it seemed as though they were very busy.Special Features:
- Great TimeHoyaSaxaDined on 7/26/2014As a college student, this place has a great dinner menu that I can afford without breaking the bank. The bar has a great array of alcohol and the restaurant part is beautiful and gives off a romantic atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great experiencedineindcDined on 7/24/2014We went to celebrate my graduation from a master's program. The location is great, the food was excellent, and the service was also very good. I have never been disappointed by J. Paul's.Special Features:
- Large Group on Saturday NightLRC2014Dined on 7/19/2014We had a reservation for seven people which included three kids and four adults. Thankfully we were seated in the back room which was not nearly as loud as the rest of the restaurant and we had a big table to spread out in. We had a great time. Appetizers came very fast which was a Godsend considering we had hungry kids, our server was attentive but not intrusive and our food came out quickly and everything was correct. We were hosting friends from out of town and it was a great opportunity to catch up and have a great meal. Given how busy everything was that night - we were grateful there was a time and space to accommodate us.
- Terrible food and servicer2d2VIPDined on 7/13/2014We are regulars at J Pauls but Sunday brunch was terrible. We got horrible service - the waiter did not come to take our drinks order until ten minutes after we were seated. we were all seated crushed together. the food was cold and had no salt.
- ThunderDined on 7/5/2014very average bar food. Matt was our waiter and was quite good. Noise level was too much. A little on the dirty side and the bathrooms were gross
- Great Experienceang29booDined on 6/28/2014As always, I enjoyed my time at J Paul's. We came about a half hour before our reservations, and were seated without hesitation, as they were already prepared for us. We had 2 children with us and they were placed with kid's menus, although neither ate from them, as they were small enough to eat off of their parents' plates. We had a great waiter, Tom, who was pleasant and checked on us frequently. Although the pretzels weren't as good as they usually are, we had a great time, great food, and the ambiance at J Paul's couldn't be a nicer place than to celebrate a birthday, or any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On decline - better options elswhreMaKrDined on 6/22/2014Sunday "brunch". Disappointing. Showing all the signs of a place on its last legs. Owner cutting corners in the kitchen and in the bar. Restaurant nearly empty. Eggs Benedict rubbery overcooked, covered in a congealed mystery orange sauce....barely edible. Bloody Mary weirdly had an 8" full celery stalk in a 6" narrow glass; watery tomato juice; no flavor. Sunday kitchen and bar staff must be amateur hour. Better options exist elsewhere on M street.
- soontobemrsmulllingsDined on 6/15/2014The crab soup and prime rib is just amazing...would definitely go back again. However it's not kid friendly..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Georgetown IconBoze43Dined on 5/28/2014One of my favorite places to show off to people who have never been to DC. Quintessential Georgetown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentScoutyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Decent for a relatively inexpensive, casual Georgetown meal.
- First visitCharlotteVIPDined on 5/16/2014This was our first visit to J. Paul's. Food was great with an excellent variation of selections, service was good too. We will be returning.Special Features:
- Not what it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014My wife and I had eaten there many times before. The food was always good. We had not been there is quite a while so making reservations for Mother's Day was perfect. My wife had checked the menu the night I made the reservations, a week before Mother's Day. The cost of the meal increasted $4 and it was not what we had remembered. We may or may not give J Pauls another try - probably not. BTW we had the Eggs Benedict.Special Features:
- The following 279 reviews are from the J. Paul's - Georgetown reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/27/2014Overall pretty good-crab cakes and ribs were tasty. Pretzel is a nice way to start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special requestsSpecialrequestsDined on 4/18/2014For the first time, I entered a special request upon making my reservation, asking that a candle be placed on one of the desserts as one in our party was celebrating a birthday. Well, it was completely ignored! I will not return to this restaurant and I wonder what is the point of asking if there are any special requests when making any open table reservation?
- FantasticBusterDined on 4/4/2014Enjoyed so much we went back a second time. I would like to add it is very expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual SpotafoodieDined on 4/1/2014Nice casual spot where you can get some pretty good food. I got the Baby Back Ribs and really liked them. My mom got the Crab Cake and it looked really good. My brother got the Mahi Mahi Tacos and they also looked great. Would recommend this place for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteRun1EatRepeatDined on 3/30/2014Consistently great service and excellent food. This was the 5 time I've been here in the past year and J Pauls. Perfect for small groups 1-6. The best raw bar in town.Special Features:
- Random Dinner outingLeitchDined on 3/8/2014We were in Georgetown for a little day shopping and decided to meet up with friends for dinner. J.Pauls had a reservation open for 4 so we snagged it. The food was decent, but overall ambience was great! We had fun!Special Features:
- Never a Bad TimefatboyDined on 2/28/2014You have to have an oyster dish if you go, the shucker standing by the entrance only adds to the ambience. Our waitress was super-friendly and attentive. She also appeased our group of 8. We were here celebrating our friends birthday, and when she told us they were about to bring out birthday cake, we requested she bring out a pickle with a candle instead...and she did it (LOL!)...then actually brought out cake! Anyways, good bar food, though I ordered the wings and a burger. Cannot give input for the dinner plates. Only negative of the entire experience was our table. I was in a group of 8, and we were seated in a long, skinny table. It was hard to have a conversation inclusive of 8 people w/o a circular table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went here for Valentine'siCherylDined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentine's Day. The food was very tasty. But the service kind of sucked. The waiter seemed very aloof and ruined my date's soda by pouring water into the glass and never offered another one. They try to have two separate restaurant going : one bar and one more romantic, but the noise from the bar area (music, people, crashing dishes) overflows. Probably will not return or recommend to others.Special Features:
- Enjoyed visiting the restaurantDavidDined on 2/2/2014Enjoyed visiting the restaurant with friends. Service was friendly and attentive. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- BrunchrussDined on 1/26/2014Bloody Mary's were weak and bland. Had to request tabasco and hot sauce to give them a little flavor. Brunches, their version of eggs benedict and some other type of egg dish, had little flavor and were less than hot. Would not return
- Not As I recallmisunderestimatedDined on 1/11/2014They have truncated their menu to more of a sports bar theme. Not the fine dining Georgetown experience I remember so fondly from years past. Loud, young crowd drinking at the bar pretty much took over the place. Disappointed former fanSpecial Features:
- Yummy as usual!JulieDined on 12/28/2013Menu is great, tweaked every few months and food is delicious. Great service and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went to J. Pauls with myJPaul25Dined on 12/25/2013I went to J. Pauls with my family on Christmas night. It was one of the few places open. I had been there before and had a very nice dinner with my daughter. Christmas night was fun...we sat at a big table in front of the Christmas tree. The service we good..a little slow but probably due to the holiday and short staff. Food was also good but was much better the last time i was there. All in all we had a good time. Thank you!Special Features:
- J Paul's A Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/22/2013Haven't been disappointed yet! Right on M St, energetic bar area and separate sit-down dining area. Food is always good. Will be back when more friends are in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingDCdogsDined on 12/19/2013Food choices were limited and quality was poor. The wine we were offered was not availble. The hostess was not good at accommodating our reservation; she wedged us as the only other table in the room in between two parties of 10, and did not honor our request to be seated at a more hospitable location even though better choices were (discovered later to be) available. Fortunately, the waiter was friendly and capable and saved the meal from a total disaster.
- Hits its markFamilyTouringDCDined on 11/30/2013Everything lived up to the advertising. This is always a treat when that happens. Wife, sisters, nieces needed a place in Georgetown to have a good meal (not breaking the bank) that had the convenient location. Perfect fit. Crab cakes incredible as was the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DinnermojomamaDined on 11/28/2013Las out-of-towners in DC for Thanksgiving, we went to J Paul's with modest expectations for a simple Thansgiving Dinner. The pro fix menu was fine but the execution was poor. The turkey and gravy were good but the sides were uneatable. Overall disappointing. Looks like a decent bar though
- Excellent spot!!!WallyDined on 11/23/2013This place was excellent for a night out in the town. The service was great and very speedy. The crab cake platter was wonderful....a lot of flavor in the cakes. The seating was decent but the environment was nice. I would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodVaDinerDined on 11/9/2013We picked J. Paul's as a moderate priced Georgetown restaurant. It is really more of a sports bar than a restaurant. The food was not very good, the service very slow. Even the drinks, which should have been a strength, were not good.
- Brunch menu and food was excellent,PaulVIPDined on 11/9/2013Brunch menu and food was excellent, they were fine with substations or changes to your order. The sauces were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night LifeOnyx811Dined on 11/8/2013When to J Paul's after attending an event in Georgetown. I had tried a lot of other places before so this was my first time here. The atmosphere was wonderful, and the service prompt. I'd recommend going here to anyone. For the portion sizes the prices were completely reasonable and the food tasted wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J Paul'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013Returned here from visits years ago. I live in London. J Paul's is such a great place. Love the ambience, the food and the vibe. Look forward to returning next time I'm in D C.Special Features:
- calamari, mussels, and shrimplovebrunchDined on 10/27/2013calamari, mussels, and shrimp cocktail appetizers were so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very adequate - but great locationSkierMomArlingtonDined on 10/25/2013Just had dinner here Thursday night. Requested a great table up front in my reservation - and got it - right in the window - to enjoy the people watching on M Street. Service started out attentive - but toward end of meal and when it was time for the check, our service seemed to vaporize. Charcuterie app was quite good, as are "welcome" pretzels and mustard. Main courses were waaaaay over-priced for the quality. But you are also paying for the the location. I had chimichurri steak tacos - three very small tacos with very little flavor or excitement. Could have very easily gotten much better Mexican at a chain restaurant for half the price. My husband had steak and oysters - he said it was an adequate dish. A solid C on the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.