J. Paul's - Georgetown
3218 M. St. N.W.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Paul's - Georgetown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.j-pauls.com/
- Phone: 2023333450
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:30am-2:00am Friday-Saturday: 11:30am-3:00am Sunday: 10:30am-2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Tom Crenshaw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The 1889 Room at the original J. Paul’s in Georgetown has become an institution in Washington, D.C. Enjoy private dining in our 1889 Room, located on the 2nd floor of J. Paul’s. Its mahogany walls, wood floors and eclectic style give the room a warm, classy and cozy atmosphere. Long, magnificent windows overlook historic M Street, in the heart of Georgetown. This room is great for all occasions: birthdays, holiday parties, rehearsal dinners, celebrations, business luncheons, cocktail parties, and even televised sporting events.
- Private Party Contact: J.Paul's Private Dining 202)339-6833
- Entertainment: Lively bar area is perfect for every occasion, and there's a large private meeting room upstairs perfect for corporate events or private dinner. and of course, liven up Sunday with brunch at J. Paul's! From Hangover Hash to the J. P. Scramble, you won't leave hungry! Our signature Bloody Mary cannot be beat, and our Irish Coffee is a real eye opener. Join us, Sunday's from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
A word from J. Paul's - Georgetown
J. Paul’s is Washington’s quintessential turn of the century American Dining Saloon. The J. Paul’s bar in Georgetown is itself a 100 year old mahogany shotgun bar, built by the Brunswick Balke Coolander Company and was previously housed in a grand saloon in the Chicago stockyards. Many will swear over their scotch that Al Capone himself bellied up to that very bar. Antique brass elevator doors from New York’s Waldorf Astoria frame the back dining room. A few short blocks from the Potomac River, in the heart of fashionable Georgetown, the original J. Paul’s has become an institution. Every day, politicians, journalists, artists, business people and Washington personalities share tables with students, tourists and ex-Pats in the nation’s capital. Don't miss out on a visit to this DC institution!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J. Paul's - Georgetown reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (17)good for groups (16)great for brunch (14)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)special occasion (9)romantic (8)scenic view (7)late-night find (7)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Good Food, Great People WatchingSkylineScottVIPDined on 3/23/2013J. Paul's never disappoints us. The tables near the windows make for great people watching along "M" Street while enjoying a late lunch over the weekend. The Fried Green Tomato "BLT & A" with Avocado was delicious. The Cucumber Salad is a great substitute on the side instead of french fries -- it's really good! So were the Fried Oyster Sliders as an appetizer for two to share. There's also a wide selection of draft beers. Every time we have gone to J. Paul's with an Open Table reservation, we have always been seated immediately, and at a very good table. This is our favorite weekend brunch / lunch spot in Georgetown.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2013One of my favorite restaurants in Georgetown - thanks for another wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Went for St. Patrick's daySfcrnVIPDined on 3/17/2013Went for St. Patrick's day casual dinner. They had some Irish fare and beer specials. It was festive.Special Features:
- Great menu and fun ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2013We really enjoyed the menu: great selection of appetizers, sandwiches, salads, and entrees. The atmosphere is fun and energetic. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013Enjoyed a special evening at J.Paul's. Look forward to visiting it again soon.Special Features:
- Gotta get the ribs!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/7/2013Great traditional american food with a twist. The ribs are just delicious and you can't go wrong with the rib and crabcake combo.Special Features:
- Ive been coming here for moreMarkVIPDined on 2/20/2013Ive been coming here for more that 20 years. The food and service are always oustanding. Great Crabcakes and fall off the bone Ribs. The pretzels are a great treat.Special Features:
- Oyster Shooters and CalamariOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We had the crab cakes and Calamari. The Calamari was outstanding and the Crab Cakes were good. Oyster Shooters are good alsoSpecial Features:
- I ordered the fish and chipsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013I ordered the fish and chips and overwhelmingly underwhelmed. The fish had no flavor and the fries were too soggy. I feel like I could've made a better dish than this. The place was crowded and I was constantly bothered throughout my meal by both patrons and staff to move my chair. I would not recommend this place as it is overpriced and overcrowded.Special Features:
- Always enjoy lunch at J.Paul'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/19/2013Always enjoy lunch at J.Paul's when shopping in Georgetown. The mac and cheese is amazing. Always a crowd pleaser!Special Features:
- Always a great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/5/2013Always a great place to go in Georgetown. The Prime Rib Dip is delicious! Great wine and beer selection.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the special New YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012Enjoyed the special New Years Eve menu as a subset of the normal menu. Our meal and service were great, but dessert let us down.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve dinner wasCKCKVIPDined on 12/31/2012New Year's Eve dinner was very good. We were surprised that there was a NYE menu (had assumed it would be a normal menu), as J Paul's website said nothing about NYE; however, the menu turned out to be pretty good. NYE festivities at the bar after dinner were very fun.
- Food is consistent. AlwaysSharonVIPDined on 12/14/2012Food is consistent. Always tasty and goo portions. Priced appropriately.Special Features:
- Tasty food - try the Mahi Mahi TacoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/8/2012I took a date here and we ordered a dozen oysters, the mahi mahi tacos, and the 12 oz. prime rib. The food was great and full flavored. The service was ample but, the server didn't have too much of a personality which was okay I suppose. Overall it was a good meal and the service was prompt, but didn't leave a "WOW I must return!" impression just a "We'll be back sometime" impression.Special Features:
- Chicken was burnt and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/30/2012Chicken was burnt and the salmon was too sweet. Food was a miss this visit but the ambiance is great there as usual and drinks were god.Special Features:
- A little loud, mediocre food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/12/2012A little loud, mediocre food. All in all disappointing. Probably okay happy hour place, but not for fine dining.
- Classy atmosphere but notSeanDined on 11/11/2012Classy atmosphere but not overly formal. Knowledgeable waiter; attentive but not intrusive. Prices reasonable. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- An institution in Georgetown,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2012An institution in Georgetown, great for a casual, fun night out.Special Features:
- Very nice time in Georgetown.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2012Very nice experience. We had a large group and the service was very attentive. The food was very good.Special Features:
- J.Pauls is excellent. If IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2012J.Pauls is excellent. If I lived in the area,I would definitely eat here all the time! My daughter, who is a George Washington student, thought the Mahi Mahi fish tacos were the best she has ever eaten. I saw one of their burgers and I couldn't belive how good it looked. The salads and steaks also looked great. This was a great place for a sit down dinner, but it also looked like a good place to watch a game with friends. All in downtown Georgetown.Special Features:
- Service was good. Made aMoMoDined on 10/13/2012Service was good. Made a reservation and was promptly seated. Food was just OK. Tables are packed in, and the noise level is very high, which made it hard to converse. Loved the soft pretzels served at beginning of meal.Special Features:
- We had a great meal...andpattypDined on 10/12/2012We had a great meal...and exceptional service! Loved it and will go back next time in town!Special Features:
- Nice choice for Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2012Did not live up to "the talk" in my mind, but still the food was better than average. It would not be a good choice for a romantic dinner, but more so with a group of friends, or for happy hour.Special Features:
- Big Let-down for a loyal customerMarilynVIPDined on 9/25/2012Worst experience I ever had. I was trying to impress my visiting family with this restaurant. When we arrived on time, our table was mistakenly given away requiring us to wait 45 minutes only to take a table in the bar to avoid eating any later that night. The wait staff took over ten minutes to acknowledge us and our pretzels were delivered with our dinner. Terrible experienc in all aspects.
- The restaurant was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012The restaurant was extremely loud because they had the music volume far too high. It was difficult to hold a conversation with the people across the table from us. The food was pretty good, not great though. I went here 4 years ago and had a much better experience than this past one.Special Features:
- Great PlaceRTorresDined on 9/3/2012Our Waitress Brooke was fantastic! After a long day, this place re-energized. Food was very good, staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Great food and service inLocalDinerDined on 8/31/2012Great food and service in the heart of Georgetown. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Another Great Saturday Evening!SkylineScottVIPDined on 8/25/2012We arrived right on time for our Open Table reservation and were seated immediately, even though the restaurant was very crowded on a Saturday evening at 6:30 p.m., with a line of people on the sidewalk outside waiting for tables. Even more impressive, we had requested a table in the open windows at the front of the restaurant, if available, as a "special request" when we made the Open Table reservation. J. Paul's had it waiting for us! I felt like a VIP being whisked directly to my corner table in the window! Thank you, J. Paul's. Everything else about our leisurely evening was a true pleasure. Friendly service, good food, great atmosphere. J. Paul's is our top "go to" for a fun dinner in Georgetown. I recommend it very highly.Special Features:
- My partner and I enjoyed JOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2012My partner and I enjoyed J Paul's very much. The service was excellent and the food came quickly. My burger was great, the drinks tasty and my partner said his Rueben was very good. A little loud but great location on M Street. Nice place and would go back.Special Features:
- Poor service. I think sheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2012Poor service. I think she forgot about us, because she looked surprised to see us when I asked for the check.
- Great restaurant with greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2012Great restaurant with great food for the price. I went here for dinner and the service was very good, did not leave disappointed.
- Love the pretzels seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2012Love the pretzels seafood was good great for oysters half price on weds little loud for dinner but overall a good experience good draft selectionSpecial Features:
- Great food (we had the burgerstravelingfoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2012Great food (we had the burgers and the reuben sandwich, and the apple fritter for dessert which is definitely not to be missed), great service, will definitely be back!Special Features:
- surprisingly really good!!behappy26VIPDined on 7/18/2012surprisingly really good!! went and sat in the bar area during happy hour, some good beers on happy hour, they have a great beer list. free pretzels are a little hard but a welcome treat. got crab and cheese dip to start, a little greasy but good with lemon and the pita that comes with it. i had the open faced tilapia sandwich, perfectly cooked and seasoned fish. absolutely delicious. didn't even need the sandwich part. service was solid, attentive, and food came out quick. good place for happy hour, beer, and seafood in georgetown.Special Features:
- J. Paul's is always consistent.nacecDined on 7/8/2012J. Paul's is always consistent. I had a great bacon-infused bloody mary. We split a a crab and cheese app and then a burger and the crab cakes as entrees. Great spot in Georgetown with solid service.Special Features:
- I had been to J. Paul's previously.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2012I had been to J. Paul's previously. I had gone alone and sat at the bar. This time I went with a friend and we were seated at a table (the bar was packed). They brought out these small, warm pretzels instead of the normal bread that most restaurants have. They were amazing! I would order the pub cheese next time. I ordered the steamed shrimp, and they seemed a little mushy. I wouldn't order them again. The entree portion was a good size and was very tasty. Not sure if I would make it a priority to go back.Special Features:
- Tee-totalers BewarePhillySaxDined on 6/24/2012This quasi-venerable Georgetown "institution" on M Street doesn't have to be superior to pack them in. The food and service are good, not great, except the Sunday Brunch Belgian Waffles, with bourbon-maple syrup which my daughter said were heavenly. The college booze culture is so pervasive, however, that our waitress frowned and appeared ready to scold me when I asked for a Virgin Mary, then later, when I ordered oysters, tried to sell me an oyster shooter with choice of vodka, and when I asked instead for a non-alcoholic beer, it finally dawned on her that I did not want any alcohol, at which point, to cover her own discomfort, she chided me, "why didn't you tell me!, like I have to have a reason other than I'm driving.
- When visiting georgetown thisDinesalot2VIPDined on 6/9/2012When visiting georgetown this is a great spot for Any meal.Special Features:
- This is a wonderful old restaurantVAfoodieDined on 6/6/2012This is a wonderful old restaurant in Georgetown that has maintained it's good food and service for the 20-plus years I've lived in the DC area.Special Features: