J Morgan's Steakhouse
100 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J Morgan's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolplaza.com/Montpelier_Vermont_Dining/
- Phone: 8022235222x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Saturday: 7:00am - 12pm; Sunday Brunch: 8:00am - 1:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Owner Fred Bashara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a 4 banquet rooms to accommodate any size party. You may chose one of our menus or work with the chef to create your own.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Cain 8022235252x105
- Entertainment: Once a month we offer late night lounging with dance music and snacks.
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch
A word from J Morgan's Steakhouse
Our award winning restaurant J.Morgan's Steakhouse, not only caters to the hotel guest, it is among the top locals restaurants in the very culinary city of Montpelier. We have become known for our hand cut aged-in house steaks and the freshest seafood available in the region, homemade desserts and large portions. Our expertise in wine and great variety of our own martinis and seasonal drinks makes J.Morgan's Steakhouse a place that you will run back to.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
J Morgan's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Montpelier ›
J Morgan's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (15)good for groups (10)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (6)fit for foodies (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)romantic (3)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- don't count on your reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Food was great. Filet cooked to perfection and very good potatoes, bread and vegetables. Made a reservation 6 weeks ahead for an 8:00 p.m. meal and checked it when we arrived at the hotel at 5:00 p.m.. All was good until we arrived and found that our table was not available. Waited 30 minutes without any real consideration for our inconvenience. At the end of the meal the waiter offered to package a half steak remaining. We accepted, then he forgot to return it to us. Our tough luck. The staff could use a few tips on customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good butTerrifb44Dined on 9/6/2014Reservation asked for special table, offered 1st on near entry with everyone waiting. Then had to wait 20 mins longer. Bread, which is yummy, never arrived til we had our meal & only I had to ask for it. Typically good service & food but for anniversary nite not so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluDined on 9/1/2014On Monday night, Labour Day, it was uncharacteristically quiet. For the 67 year-old me and my sister, that was perfect. On Tuesday night, for my taste it was way too noisy. Luckily I was able to go to the patio. That said, this is a hot spot and that's what makes it successful with a younger crowd. The food although good was not remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty, salty, saltySightseer12Dined on 8/31/2014Onion soup only tasted of salt. There was no beef or onion flavor at all. We each only ate a third. Calamari appetizer special was good. Salads were lovely. Cowboy steak was tough. Was brought home in a box for the dog. Filet was good, but dry. Scallops in glaze were so salty they were inedible. Very unfortunate experience. It was a birthday special occasion. Service was very good and we were impressed with the wine list, buying a bottle of Reserve Banfi Chianti to have with dinner.Special Features:
- OkayPunkinDined on 8/29/2014Portions were small for the price. I had the Billionaires Cake which was tasty but the size of an appetizer. My brother had the Cod special and that was tiny as well. My sister's prime rib was great so if you go for the steak then you win. Chris our waiter was awesome.Special Features:
- Beyond all expectations!NEKfoodieDined on 8/20/2014We had the finest dining experience we've had in years,at J Morgan's Steakhouse,on 8/20/14,for my wife's birthday celebration.I highly recommend this establishment for it's outstanding quality food,wonderful atmosphere,and overall dining pleasure.We will be returning soon!Special Features:
- Great place!luv2eatDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time at J Morgan's and we both should have ordered steak which was our mistake. While our dinners were good, we didn't order steak which is their specialty. However, the bread and loaded potato chips were to die for! All of the wait staff was amazing and we loved the décor. We plan on returning soon for a juicy steak! We still would recommend if only for the bread and chips!
- Always Great Food!WaterburydinerDined on 8/1/2014The Steaks are great, always great cuts! My favorite though is the Lobster Mac and Cheese! Nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MattVIPDined on 7/21/2014The porcini rubbed rib eye was outstanding-NY City quality. The service was friendly and helpful. The menu is vast and everything we had was wonderful. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!KarenDined on 6/29/2014Friends have told me about this Sunday brunch and I'm so glad I finally tried it. This is no ordinary brunch buffet. The food is wonderful and includes a mimosa. Great place! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J Morgan's makes your dayMorgansbuddyDined on 6/20/2014Eat light or go with all the courses never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPER GREAT FOODRogerRamJetDined on 6/20/2014The food was an 11 on a 10 scale but most everything else was somewhat of a let down. In my opinion best way to enjoy this place is to have had a few drinks before you arrive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Great anniversary dinner' food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a fine timebratDined on 5/31/2014my only sour note, in the ambience of reduced lighting when I looked at the bill, the place which would normally show meals tax was actually some kind of pre-charged tip. We were only a party of 4 and I did not see anything on the menu about this but feel this should have been explained. We had really good service but I added over 20% additional for a tip having added what I thought was the meals tax into the total to calculate the tip. This leaves me with a very unpleasant feeling and although we had a great time, food and service, I will always think of this as an error on their part whenever I think of going back.Special Features:
- A Culinary MeliorismSummerMelonsDined on 5/30/2014J Morgan's is Montpelier's holy grail for food and service. I've eaten there many times for many different occasions and I've never been disappointed in the experience. The food is always prepared perfectly and the delectible desserts are unveiled in a visual wonder. I enjoyed the wild sockeye salmon dish on a bed of sliced, roasted brussel sprouts and fluffy white rice. The flavor and variety of textures were satisfying and the fish was done to perfection. The timing of each course was, as usual, a true art form. Thank you, J Morgan's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 259 reviews are from the J Morgan's Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Best of the BestDinerTomDined on 5/23/2014This is a top of the line Vermont restaurant. Truly something for everyone and all of it first class. Everything is fresh...much of it local...all of it superb. There does not seem to be a weak spot in this classy and varied menu. An experience you won't soon forget. The waitstaff are pleasant and ready to please. The atmosphere is romantic and alive. Try it...you'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I've heard great things about this place for years. We finally went when my son graduated from Norwich and it was everything and more I had heard about. Great hostesses, waiter and excellent food- from the appetizers to the steaks thru the dessert. We should have gone sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We had a fun dinner. The place was very busy and lively which I enjoy. Watching the dessert trays go by was great theater. We splurged and had a number of dishes we wanted to try. Great steaks and notable lobster mac and cheese. Wonderful Black Forest cheesecake. Our service was excellent and the kitchen was on point with timing. The place seemed like a well oiled machine making it easy for the waitstaff to accommodate the full dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTomAndCrystalIsabelleDined on 4/28/2014It was actually my birthday dinner. We all enjoyed the time and meals. Our youngest liked the frisbee dish her meal came on. First time for our kids, though my wife and I have been several times. It was a test to see how they'd do. Everything went well, I'm happy to report. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Foodluv2dineDined on 4/28/2014Food is always good! Lot's to choice from on the menu and specials.. Love there steaks!! Our favorite place to eat. Desserts are awesome and huge!!Special Features:
- Again An Excellent DinnerScottDined on 4/26/2014As always the food was outstanding. This time it was a little noisier but allright. My only complaint is that they have done away with anchovies for the caesar salad and put some kind of unsalted whitefish on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceMudseasoninVtDined on 4/26/2014We typically eat out one night per week, and the food was clearly much better than any of the Burlington restaurants. Plus it's a short drive and easy access from Burlington. We will definitely return!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I'm beginning to getMikeVIPDined on 4/12/2014Maybe I'm beginning to get old. Our evening began very nicely until a group of twelve or so people came in a sat next to us. My wife and I could not hear each other talking because of the noise this group was making. Very loud. There's no solution to the problem, but it is the second time in as many visits for us. Couldn't wait to finish eating and leave.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terrific and theVtfamilyDined on 4/11/2014Service was terrific and the menu is so big that everyone is sure to find something they like! Appetizer--(homemade potato chips) was amazing. Main dishes were too garlicky for our liking. We really liked this restaurant and will definitely go back, but we will be sure to avoid dishes with garlic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asked for a Medium Filet...redsox14Dined on 4/10/2014I order a Filet and it cam out like a brick. I TOLD THE WAITRESS AND SHE TOLD ME YES IT DID LOOK ABIT CHARRED. Why would you bring that to me, and she said it was with my order so I served it. Cook needs training, watit staff needs to be looked at,
- Great food, Horrible serviceBethDined on 4/6/2014The brunch was awesome. The waffles to die for but the service from Greyson was pathetic. We waited 20 minutes for coffee while he checked text messages on his phone. Even if the coffee wasn't ready he could have offered water. No champagne for Mimosa's on a Sunday brunch? We just went and began eating after our server never showed back up again. Another server ( cannot recall his name, very nice older gentleman) told us to try the waffles. I am glad he did...they were amazing. Will go back again but will def ask for a different server ....that is if Greyson is even still working there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!MontpelierGirlDined on 4/4/2014Invited our in-laws to dinner and we had great food, great fun! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to spot for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Always excellent service and food. Wonderful place for business lunch or party. Always friendly and accomadating............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesom LambPatrickDined on 3/17/2014If you like Rack of Lamb then J Morgan's is a must for you!Special Features:
- Not the best for lunchJarconthemightyDined on 2/28/2014First of all, let me say I love going to this place. So you understand that I was amazed about how bad the experience was. First of all, the food took close to 45 minutes (a burger and a chicken BLT special) to get out to us and the place was not really busy. When my friend asked for mustard the waiter came out with an empty container. So, when he came back, she asked for more. Now, he did bring a fresh container but did not take the seal off. Other than that, we were hardly checked on during the course of the meal (and was there for an almost an hour and a half). I will have to give serious consideration before doing a lunch date again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The food was amazing and our server Emily was very helpful and kind to us we would definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best food in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Always the best food in our area, steak, seafood, pasta, a little loud on Saturday night! Make a reservation on weekends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable Dining ExperiencejlvaldinnerDined on 2/14/2014J Morgans is on the top of our favorites list. Food is always good. Servers are polite and efficient. We have never had a bad experience with the food or the dining experience as a whole - and we have been to J Morgans MANY times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always like it at J. MorganssaltyDined on 2/14/2014Always like it at J. Morgans . Although Valentine's day dinner my wifes Mahi Mahi was very salty and it was overcooked(tough) She didn't want me to say anything but I feel that you should know. Respectfully, Stephen FernandezSpecial Features:
- Good place depending on seatingJarconthemightyDined on 2/14/2014I love eating here. One of the best steak houses in the area. Had the Valentines special for 2. The only thing I disliked was that we were between the kitchen and the bar so there was a TON of staff walking by (including several traffic jams). I will be requesting a normal booth seat next time.Special Features:
- Very good overallFrinitesoutDined on 1/25/2014Extensive menu, good service, huge dessert portions (most good for 2-3 people), high quality food, which gets pricey. 4 adults, one bottle wine, no appetizers, 4 main dishes, 2 desserts, with tip, $200. On the higher end for this area, but again, excellent food and a nice, "treat night" out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Saturday morning surpriseCathyHDined on 1/25/2014Not to be confused with it's well-known amazing Sunday brunch, J Morgans' Saturday breakfast buffet is a more modest, just-as-awesome well-priced cousin. Wonderful omelet station, eggs Benedict, and all the extras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerVermonterDined on 1/16/2014I had not dined in a Montpelier restaurant before and was unsure of the quality of J Morgan's Steakhouse. It was recommended to me by my best friend who also enjoys great food. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeLuvs2rockDined on 1/3/2014Has always been a place my husband and I go for special occasions they never disappoint! Any time a great place for a special evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate!TastefulDined on 1/1/2014This a "special occasion" venue for us. The central location and varied menu work well for family and friends. The food is consistently of high quality. Of note on New Year's Day was the coconut-ice cream-meringue dessert, perfect for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.