J Morgan's Steakhouse
100 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J Morgan's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolplaza.com/Montpelier_Vermont_Dining/
- Phone: (802) 223-5222
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Saturday: 7:00am - 12pm; Sunday Brunch: 8:00am - 1:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Owner Fred Bashara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a 4 banquet rooms to accommodate any size party. You may chose one of our menus or work with the chef to create your own.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Cain 8022235252x105
- Entertainment: Once a month we offer late night lounging with dance music and snacks.
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch
A word from J Morgan's Steakhouse
Our award winning restaurant J.Morgan's Steakhouse, not only caters to the hotel guest, it is among the top locals restaurants in the very culinary city of Montpelier. We have become known for our hand cut aged-in house steaks and the freshest seafood available in the region, homemade desserts and large portions. Our expertise in wine and great variety of our own martinis and seasonal drinks makes J.Morgan's Steakhouse a place that you will run back to.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
J Morgan's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Montpelier ›
J Morgan's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (14)romantic (14)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (11)notable wine list (11)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Me and my wife have been several times for our date nights. From the food, service, and overall experience everything g is always a delight. Even when mistakes have been made to our order (which has happened once) our server kept us Informed and the kit Chen went through great lengths to get it fixed in a timely fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicePattyDined on 11/19/2014The gentleman that served our table was wonderful - he gave us all the time we needed and was helpful with selections. I am sorry that I do not remember his name to give him full credit. As always the food was wonderful and JMorgan's is the most comfortable place in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad serviceEggsDined on 11/14/2014Big menu, lots of choices, good presentation, GREAT deserts but terrible service. Server was abrupt and unpleasant Friday night for a party of 4. Retuned Saturday for lunch at bar. French onion soup served cold and it was a struggle to get anyone's attention to return it to the kitchen. When it came back cheese topping was burned.
- Always Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014J Morgans is our go to place for great food locally. As a family of six, we do not eat out often, but when we do we make it count. J Morgans is by far our favorite place to eat in Central Vermont. Generally, we eat the rack of lamb because it is so great. This time we had the rib eye steaks and they were equally delicious. Our children love the place as well. They watch the trains, take their "frisbee" plates home for ongoing fun and do not seem to trouble anyone. The only down side to this visit was the service was slower than normal and our food took longer to get to us than has been our experience in the past. If that had been better, I would have given it 5 stars all across the board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodLaurieVIPDined on 10/26/2014We all had Filets and they were excellent. Make sure you order steaks one temp up from normal - I ordered Medium but it was medium rare. Sent it back for some added heat and it came back perfect. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Quite an enjoyable eveningTasteteaserDined on 10/18/2014Menu has something for everyone. Salads are very good and meats are cooked to perfection. I had the rack of lamb and it was exceptional. Husband had a filet and he said it was cooked perfectly. We like to go at least once a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frenchdutchcoupleDined on 10/16/2014excellent service ,specialy at the bar with a very professional barman .The steaks and the crustaces are deliciousSpecial Features:
- Pretty goodJohnnyTDined on 10/12/2014We went there midday on a recent Sunday expecting a sit-down steakhouse lunch. We didn't see any mention of a Sunday brunch on website or the fact that ordering from a menu was not an option, but it was solely a brunch buffet. The food and service were fine. The buffet is up a couple of steps in a separate room (with omelet station) -- an issue for someone with limited mobility. The setting is nice but not classy in an older hotel in downtown Montpelier. It has electric trains overhead running around separate tracks -- a visual treat for the kids. We arrived on time but it took 10 minutes for our table to be ready. Once settled we got to the buffet table at 12:25--we we surprised to see that some of the items were running low or gone.
- My favorite RestaurantBBW001Dined on 10/11/2014JMorgan's is my family's favorite restaurant in Vermont. Tha atomsphere is always light and fun. We dined at JMorgan's on Norwich University's Parent Weekend and because of the popularity of the restaurant is was packed, but the staff was just terrific handling all of the folks and everyone eventually got seated and enjoyed the fine food. Hats off to the staff and chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4ek4Dined on 10/10/2014Well done again J Morgans. Excellent food, very good service great experience. Big city Steak House in a small town.Special Features:
- successful celebrationseefoodDined on 10/6/2014My husband and I celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary by treating ourselves to dinner out at J. Morgans. We rarely go out to eat, so when we do we like to order something we don't normally cook for ourselves. Their menu is varied and creative! I had the scallops l'orange, which were truly divine, as were all the sides and he had the fruits de mar which he couldn't even finish. Knowing how large the dessert portions are, we split a fudge and cheesecake cake, and really didn't have room for it all, should have gotten it to go! For a Monday night, the place was packed, yet we had quick and competent service and plenty of room to eat and talk quietly and yet enjoy the activity at the bar and watch people coming and going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merc07Dined on 9/28/2014J Morgans was a perfect place for a celebration brunch. There were 7 of us and Morgans selected a perfect spot to seat us (nice round table) where we could easily carry on a conversation. The brunch was delicious and provided so many breakfast and lunch choices including custom made and served piping hot omelets, pancakes and waffles. The variety would suit any palate even one of us who is vegan. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- good foodCooksAtHomeDined on 9/25/2014Our table ordered fillet mignon, ribeye, scallops and mussels. Food very well prepared. Generous side dishes included potatoes, squash, salad, and cauliflower. Great meal! Due to physical limitations we needee to sit at a table rather than a booth and the hostess accomodated us. Very busy night due to foliage season but service was still very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not exceptionalKingdomcoupleDined on 9/24/2014We love this place but we find the service although not bad, it is not warm and friendly. Our main course came to the table while we were still eating our appetizer. Our server was not engaging and seemed to be going through the motions. We were there for our 20th wedding celebration and chose J.Morgans as it is a special place with a great menu and atmosphere and I think your wait staff is letting you down. To be clear, the wait staff was polite, but did not give us that special dining out feeling and that we were appreciated as guests and did not make the night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Food was good, it was busy and the service was slow and midocre at bestSpecial Features:
- don't count on your reservationEclecticDined on 9/16/2014Food was great. Filet cooked to perfection and very good potatoes, bread and vegetables. Made a reservation 6 weeks ahead for an 8:00 p.m. meal and checked it when we arrived at the hotel at 5:00 p.m.. All was good until we arrived and found that our table was not available. Waited 30 minutes without any real consideration for our inconvenience. At the end of the meal the waiter offered to package a half steak remaining. We accepted, then he forgot to return it to us. Our tough luck. The staff could use a few tips on customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good butTerrifb44Dined on 9/6/2014Reservation asked for special table, offered 1st on near entry with everyone waiting. Then had to wait 20 mins longer. Bread, which is yummy, never arrived til we had our meal & only I had to ask for it. Typically good service & food but for anniversary nite not so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluDined on 9/1/2014On Monday night, Labour Day, it was uncharacteristically quiet. For the 67 year-old me and my sister, that was perfect. On Tuesday night, for my taste it was way too noisy. Luckily I was able to go to the patio. That said, this is a hot spot and that's what makes it successful with a younger crowd. The food although good was not remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty, salty, saltySightseer12Dined on 8/31/2014Onion soup only tasted of salt. There was no beef or onion flavor at all. We each only ate a third. Calamari appetizer special was good. Salads were lovely. Cowboy steak was tough. Was brought home in a box for the dog. Filet was good, but dry. Scallops in glaze were so salty they were inedible. Very unfortunate experience. It was a birthday special occasion. Service was very good and we were impressed with the wine list, buying a bottle of Reserve Banfi Chianti to have with dinner.Special Features:
- OkayPunkinDined on 8/29/2014Portions were small for the price. I had the Billionaires Cake which was tasty but the size of an appetizer. My brother had the Cod special and that was tiny as well. My sister's prime rib was great so if you go for the steak then you win. Chris our waiter was awesome.Special Features:
- Beyond all expectations!NEKfoodieDined on 8/20/2014We had the finest dining experience we've had in years,at J Morgan's Steakhouse,on 8/20/14,for my wife's birthday celebration.I highly recommend this establishment for it's outstanding quality food,wonderful atmosphere,and overall dining pleasure.We will be returning soon!Special Features:
- Great place!luv2eatDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time at J Morgan's and we both should have ordered steak which was our mistake. While our dinners were good, we didn't order steak which is their specialty. However, the bread and loaded potato chips were to die for! All of the wait staff was amazing and we loved the décor. We plan on returning soon for a juicy steak! We still would recommend if only for the bread and chips!
- Always Great Food!WaterburydinerDined on 8/1/2014The Steaks are great, always great cuts! My favorite though is the Lobster Mac and Cheese! Nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 266 reviews are from the J Morgan's Steakhouse reviews archive.
- MattVIPDined on 7/21/2014The porcini rubbed rib eye was outstanding-NY City quality. The service was friendly and helpful. The menu is vast and everything we had was wonderful. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!KarenDined on 6/29/2014Friends have told me about this Sunday brunch and I'm so glad I finally tried it. This is no ordinary brunch buffet. The food is wonderful and includes a mimosa. Great place! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J Morgan's makes your dayMorgansbuddyDined on 6/20/2014Eat light or go with all the courses never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPER GREAT FOODRogerRamJetDined on 6/20/2014The food was an 11 on a 10 scale but most everything else was somewhat of a let down. In my opinion best way to enjoy this place is to have had a few drinks before you arrive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Great anniversary dinner' food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a fine timebratDined on 5/31/2014my only sour note, in the ambience of reduced lighting when I looked at the bill, the place which would normally show meals tax was actually some kind of pre-charged tip. We were only a party of 4 and I did not see anything on the menu about this but feel this should have been explained. We had really good service but I added over 20% additional for a tip having added what I thought was the meals tax into the total to calculate the tip. This leaves me with a very unpleasant feeling and although we had a great time, food and service, I will always think of this as an error on their part whenever I think of going back.Special Features:
- A Culinary MeliorismSummerMelonsDined on 5/30/2014J Morgan's is Montpelier's holy grail for food and service. I've eaten there many times for many different occasions and I've never been disappointed in the experience. The food is always prepared perfectly and the delectible desserts are unveiled in a visual wonder. I enjoyed the wild sockeye salmon dish on a bed of sliced, roasted brussel sprouts and fluffy white rice. The flavor and variety of textures were satisfying and the fish was done to perfection. The timing of each course was, as usual, a true art form. Thank you, J Morgan's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BestDinerTomDined on 5/23/2014This is a top of the line Vermont restaurant. Truly something for everyone and all of it first class. Everything is fresh...much of it local...all of it superb. There does not seem to be a weak spot in this classy and varied menu. An experience you won't soon forget. The waitstaff are pleasant and ready to please. The atmosphere is romantic and alive. Try it...you'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I've heard great things about this place for years. We finally went when my son graduated from Norwich and it was everything and more I had heard about. Great hostesses, waiter and excellent food- from the appetizers to the steaks thru the dessert. We should have gone sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We had a fun dinner. The place was very busy and lively which I enjoy. Watching the dessert trays go by was great theater. We splurged and had a number of dishes we wanted to try. Great steaks and notable lobster mac and cheese. Wonderful Black Forest cheesecake. Our service was excellent and the kitchen was on point with timing. The place seemed like a well oiled machine making it easy for the waitstaff to accommodate the full dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTomAndCrystalIsabelleDined on 4/28/2014It was actually my birthday dinner. We all enjoyed the time and meals. Our youngest liked the frisbee dish her meal came on. First time for our kids, though my wife and I have been several times. It was a test to see how they'd do. Everything went well, I'm happy to report. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Foodluv2dineDined on 4/28/2014Food is always good! Lot's to choice from on the menu and specials.. Love there steaks!! Our favorite place to eat. Desserts are awesome and huge!!Special Features:
- Again An Excellent DinnerScottDined on 4/26/2014As always the food was outstanding. This time it was a little noisier but allright. My only complaint is that they have done away with anchovies for the caesar salad and put some kind of unsalted whitefish on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceMudseasoninVtDined on 4/26/2014We typically eat out one night per week, and the food was clearly much better than any of the Burlington restaurants. Plus it's a short drive and easy access from Burlington. We will definitely return!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I'm beginning to getMikeVIPDined on 4/12/2014Maybe I'm beginning to get old. Our evening began very nicely until a group of twelve or so people came in a sat next to us. My wife and I could not hear each other talking because of the noise this group was making. Very loud. There's no solution to the problem, but it is the second time in as many visits for us. Couldn't wait to finish eating and leave.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terrific and theVtfamilyDined on 4/11/2014Service was terrific and the menu is so big that everyone is sure to find something they like! Appetizer--(homemade potato chips) was amazing. Main dishes were too garlicky for our liking. We really liked this restaurant and will definitely go back, but we will be sure to avoid dishes with garlic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asked for a Medium Filet...redsox14Dined on 4/10/2014I order a Filet and it cam out like a brick. I TOLD THE WAITRESS AND SHE TOLD ME YES IT DID LOOK ABIT CHARRED. Why would you bring that to me, and she said it was with my order so I served it. Cook needs training, watit staff needs to be looked at,