J Morgan's Steakhouse
100 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J Morgan's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolplaza.com/Montpelier_Vermont_Dining/
- Phone: (802) 223-5222
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Saturday: 7:00am - 12pm; Sunday Brunch: 8:00am - 1:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Owner Fred Bashara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a 4 banquet rooms to accommodate any size party. You may chose one of our menus or work with the chef to create your own.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Cain 8022235252x105
- Entertainment: Once a month we offer late night lounging with dance music and snacks.
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch
A word from J Morgan's Steakhouse
Our award winning restaurant J.Morgan's Steakhouse, not only caters to the hotel guest, it is among the top locals restaurants in the very culinary city of Montpelier. We have become known for our hand cut aged-in house steaks and the freshest seafood available in the region, homemade desserts and large portions. Our expertise in wine and great variety of our own martinis and seasonal drinks makes J.Morgan's Steakhouse a place that you will run back to.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
J Morgan's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Montpelier ›
J Morgan's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (14)romantic (14)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (11)notable wine list (11)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great food, Horrible serviceBethDined on 4/6/2014The brunch was awesome. The waffles to die for but the service from Greyson was pathetic. We waited 20 minutes for coffee while he checked text messages on his phone. Even if the coffee wasn't ready he could have offered water. No champagne for Mimosa's on a Sunday brunch? We just went and began eating after our server never showed back up again. Another server ( cannot recall his name, very nice older gentleman) told us to try the waffles. I am glad he did...they were amazing. Will go back again but will def ask for a different server ....that is if Greyson is even still working there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!MontpelierGirlDined on 4/4/2014Invited our in-laws to dinner and we had great food, great fun! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to spot for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Always excellent service and food. Wonderful place for business lunch or party. Always friendly and accomadating............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesom LambPatrickDined on 3/17/2014If you like Rack of Lamb then J Morgan's is a must for you!Special Features:
- Not the best for lunchJarconthemightyDined on 2/28/2014First of all, let me say I love going to this place. So you understand that I was amazed about how bad the experience was. First of all, the food took close to 45 minutes (a burger and a chicken BLT special) to get out to us and the place was not really busy. When my friend asked for mustard the waiter came out with an empty container. So, when he came back, she asked for more. Now, he did bring a fresh container but did not take the seal off. Other than that, we were hardly checked on during the course of the meal (and was there for an almost an hour and a half). I will have to give serious consideration before doing a lunch date again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The food was amazing and our server Emily was very helpful and kind to us we would definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best food in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Always the best food in our area, steak, seafood, pasta, a little loud on Saturday night! Make a reservation on weekends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable Dining ExperiencejlvaldinnerDined on 2/14/2014J Morgans is on the top of our favorites list. Food is always good. Servers are polite and efficient. We have never had a bad experience with the food or the dining experience as a whole - and we have been to J Morgans MANY times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always like it at J. MorganssaltyDined on 2/14/2014Always like it at J. Morgans . Although Valentine's day dinner my wifes Mahi Mahi was very salty and it was overcooked(tough) She didn't want me to say anything but I feel that you should know. Respectfully, Stephen FernandezSpecial Features:
- Good place depending on seatingJarconthemightyDined on 2/14/2014I love eating here. One of the best steak houses in the area. Had the Valentines special for 2. The only thing I disliked was that we were between the kitchen and the bar so there was a TON of staff walking by (including several traffic jams). I will be requesting a normal booth seat next time.Special Features:
- Very good overallFrinitesoutDined on 1/25/2014Extensive menu, good service, huge dessert portions (most good for 2-3 people), high quality food, which gets pricey. 4 adults, one bottle wine, no appetizers, 4 main dishes, 2 desserts, with tip, $200. On the higher end for this area, but again, excellent food and a nice, "treat night" out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Saturday morning surpriseCathyHDined on 1/25/2014Not to be confused with it's well-known amazing Sunday brunch, J Morgans' Saturday breakfast buffet is a more modest, just-as-awesome well-priced cousin. Wonderful omelet station, eggs Benedict, and all the extras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerVermonterDined on 1/16/2014I had not dined in a Montpelier restaurant before and was unsure of the quality of J Morgan's Steakhouse. It was recommended to me by my best friend who also enjoys great food. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeLuvs2rockDined on 1/3/2014Has always been a place my husband and I go for special occasions they never disappoint! Any time a great place for a special evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate!TastefulDined on 1/1/2014This a "special occasion" venue for us. The central location and varied menu work well for family and friends. The food is consistently of high quality. Of note on New Year's Day was the coconut-ice cream-meringue dessert, perfect for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive and memorable1JBDCVIPDined on 12/29/2013My brother, sister-in-law, husband and i had a wonderful dinner here between Christmas and New Year's. The food was delicious (milllionaire cakes were AMAZING), server was friendly and attentive, the jazz music in the background was the perfect acccompaniment to the meal, and we began to plan our return trip after the first few bite of our entrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience, our waiterFDDinerDined on 12/29/2013Good experience, our waiter seemed a little overwhelmed, and forgot things we asked for, but overall a good brunch experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinner outHappywithourserviceDined on 12/27/2013We enjoyed our time at dinner. Our waiter, Glenn, was delightful as always!Special Features:
- Outstanding Sunday BrunchDedeDined on 12/22/2013Go hungry! Just the best selection of great food. We're all going back to try breakfast, lunch and dinner here. The best restaurant in the area by a long shot. Just loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary celebrationspeechchikDined on 11/10/2013My husband and I selected this restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. It was everything we wanted and more. The food was unbelievable and the service was friendly and unobtrusive. We would certainly love to return here for future meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakhouseJerum11Dined on 11/9/2013Wife and I went here with some friends. The Apps where fantastic and so was our Filet. The Blue Cheese and Carmelized Onions on top where great. the Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes where amazing. the Fred's Style Shrimp where spicy but tasted great. i would highly recommend this to friends for a nice date night, i would also recommend for kids due to the noise level and the motorized Train that runs around the bar. we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodGoodDined on 11/8/2013Food was ok, although thought the sired steak and noodles I thought was a bit overpriced. More like a 18.00 meal then a 27.00 priced meal, which my friend got the prime rib which was a big sized steak for a dollar more. Waiter was good, although spilled the steak sauce on to the table of my friends plate that almost went on her. Thank god for quick nerves she moved before it got on her. Would have thought they would do something to make up it, but did not. Otherwise not a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary...first timesoxmanDined on 10/19/2013Morgan's had been recommended ,by a friend...for our 10th anniversary, we decided to try it...the food, and service, were outstanding..will definitely be back, and will recommend it to our friends, and family....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 22nd Anniversary dinner!gophervtDined on 10/19/2013The good - Fantastic food! Upscale menu choices and overall, a touch pricey, but not outrageous. Ribeye was prepared perfectly and ever so tender. Accouterments were very flavorful and nicely matched in portion and palette compliment. Great evening with my wife! Could be improved - Menu was somewhat busy and some items were easily overlooked (having looked at the online menu ahead of time). Dining room was somewhat noisy, but we were seated near large dinner party. Service was timely, albeit our particular server, when attending our table, seemed a bit aloof - we weren't made to feel like we were particularly appreciated having chosen this restaurant. Special requests made during reservation were not acknowledged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant ever.JeanDined on 10/18/2013My son goes to Norwich University and he went there with a friend and his family and fell in love with your steakhouse and wanted me to try it for ourselves. It was the best steak we have ever had! It was like butter! Tender and juicy, tasteful. perfection. The bread that you served with the salads was so delicious. Wanted to bring some home to Chicago, by the case full! I would go back in a second if I lived there. I will tell everyone here how wonderful your place is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant!!JudyCVIPDined on 10/13/2013This restaurant was great in every way. The bread, the salad, the entrees are exceptional! It is so nice to have a salad included with your dinner, many restaurants are charging extra for this, and the Greek salad that was includes was outstanding! The service and cocktails were great too! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner in Montpelier!GGPADined on 9/30/2013Food was excellent, steaks were perfectly prepared, tender and flavorful. Had the porcini-rubbed ribeye, and my husband had bone-in T-bone, delicious. Salads were fresh and interesting. My son had the lobster mac-n-cheese, rich, big chucks of lobster (unusual in a steakhouse). Actually the menu was very diverse, not just steaks. Wine list was notably good, wide variety of prices and varietals.Special Features:
- Very good food, our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2013Very good food, our server Mary was absolutely wonderful and her service was great!! Of course we'll do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ?romanticquasarDined on 9/28/2013Yes, but as always the noise level is high, tho still a romantic place to have dinner with the one you love, or just a friend for a special night out... go later and the noise level decreases a bit and catch a show across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PartyMaureenDined on 9/14/2013We had a great time and the food was wonderful! This was our first visit and won't be our last. There are too many choices on the menu to miss out on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flexible cooperative staffhappyVTdinerDined on 9/13/2013I had made reservations for five after a funeral just down the street. At the funeral reception we invited another friend who was there alone, and when we arrived at the restaurant they gladly set another place. I had asked for a quiet corner as we're all over 65 and some of us hard of hearing. They gave us a round table in its own corner, just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a really good restaurantsusanDined on 9/1/2013We dine here occasionally, and this time, things were as good as ever. They were a little late in seating us, despite having a reservation, but once seated, the service was terrific! This place has an extremely large menu, and the food is really good. I enjoyed the chicken francaise, which was very moist and delicious. Fried clam appetiser was a generous portion, and NOT greasy. One of the dessert offerings is a Napoleon: puff pastry, fresh berries, sweet cream, stacked about 10" high. It is wonderful, but definitely enough for 4-6 people. the pastry is flaky and not too sweet, but the fruit and cream--oooh to die for. the decor is weird, and thus lower rating for ambiance. modern fixtures don't go with the model trains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were visiting with familyMaxchotshotVIPDined on 8/23/2013We were visiting with family in Vermont and everyone recommended J Morgan's Steakhouse as a must. We have to agree. We both ordered one of the nightly specials a grilled veal chop. The chop was cooked to perfection! They also have an excellent wine list. This is not just a steakhouse, the menu is quite extensive. We are all ready looking forward to our next visit to Vermont!Special Features:
- The service and the food weregeornDined on 8/16/2013The service and the food were terrific. The waitress was attentive without being overbearing, prompt without making us feel rushed. We have always been pleased with the food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2013The service was rushed so the pace of dinner was too fast. More servers needed perhaps. The restaurant was very accommodating in changing my reservation from 7:30 to 6:30pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerMemeDined on 8/3/2013We went to J Morgan's for our Anniversary. I had asked when I made the reservation for a booth. When we arrived they wished us Happy Anniversary and seated us at a nice corner booth. Our dinner was excellent and our waiter met all our needs. We will definitely be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2013Our family took visitors from out of town to dinner at J. Morgans. Our visitors were impressed by the interior, enjoyed the knowledgable waiter, Josh and loved the food! Josh went above and beyond, and Rod served wonderful drinks as always! An excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for small getDixiedogDined on 7/19/2013Great place for small get togethers or business lunch. Center of downtown. Excellent food, Many choices to choice from burgers to italian dishes. Generous portions, local products used in alot of the dishes. Upbeat place, you can bring your kids, parents, great eats for all generations. Love their Plaza Club at lunch........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely the best restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2013Definitely the best restaurant in central vermont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JP Morgan would appreciate J MorganJim57Dined on 7/3/2013Fine steakhouse in central Vermont -- if you are there, go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.