J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Oyster Bay
160 Mill River Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Oyster Bay
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jmichaelstuscansteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 5166282800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Oyster Bay
Welcome to J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse. An innovative combination of rustic Italian food and Prime dry aged steak and chops.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Oyster Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (6)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Just WonderfulAYCECCDined on 6/6/2014We have been to JMicheals many times and we are never disappointed. The service is impeccable and the food is consistenly spectacular. Kudos to the staff, William and Ben, and all of the others who help to make the dining experience perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Quality of food and service was excellent, though be prepared for a pricy night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014A bit on the pricey side but worth it for a special occaision.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedMmmmmmVIPDined on 5/23/2014The service, food and ambience was fine. The price, not so much. $22 for a salad and $70 for a steak is way overpriced. There are plenty of steak houses of equal or better quality for a lot less money.Special Features:
- IlovebeefDined on 5/20/2014We ordered two tomahawk steaks from the blackboard specials. The waiter said they only had one! Keep in mind we were only four people dining at a table other than a few people at the bar. Steak was good quality, no sizzling plate, steak was served room temperature, and the sides...... not so good. Their famous bread dripping with white goo looked like something I can't describe. Then when we wanted to wash this all down with a second bottle of sparkling San Pellegrino ...we were told we drank the last bottle!!
- The following 40 reviews are from the J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Oyster Bay reviews archive.
- As good as NorthportGA1994Dined on 5/17/2014Everything was superb!! It was quiet and that was great because it was nice to be able to talk to our friends while dining! The attention to detail and presentation was only out done by the perfection of the food! The Tomahawk Ribeye was off the charts as was the lobster and all the apps! The bill is not for the feint of heart but well worth it. We will return and bring our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply not worth itSignNDineVIPDined on 5/16/2014A pretty but out of the way place. Prices are exorbitant especially for the steaks. The waiter (owner) was overbearing. We had been anxious to try but were sorely disappointed.
- Disappointment!JBIRISHDined on 5/4/2014After reading a decent review of this fairly new steakhouse, we were very disappointed by the food on our first visit back since Mill River left. Serata was not even a dining establishment.
- Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/26/2014Eating at J Mikael's is not just good good but fine dining. Will and his staff give exceptional service. My favorite appetizer are the lobster meatballs. I never feel rushed and always sit back; relax & enjoy. If I am in the mood for steak the cowboy steak for 2 is my favorite out of all the steak hiuses on the North shore& there are many! The ambiance is so intimate & welcome. Good job !Special Features:
- Great dinner!KatieDined on 3/30/2014So happy chose to go here instead of one of the local steak places...just as good if not better than rothmanns, Luger or Bryant & Cooper without the "scene". Service was great and they really pay attention and seem to care that you enjoy your meal. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 2/28/2014Steak for two wasn't good and price was outrageous for the fare.
- Overpriced for a bar and grillOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/15/2014I have eaten at all the north shore steakhouses along with city and Brooklyn's.it was the most overpriced and smallest of steaks.the aged steak smelled like an old goat.wont last
- Nice experience but not worth the $OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/15/2014I was expecting better. Went with 5 others...half of us didn't care for it and the other half loved it! Coffee was cold :(Special Features:
- Very GoodmarkDined on 2/14/2014The food was excellent!!! It was very crowded though and a bit noisy. Very small place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak but SLOOOOW service!TinaLDined on 2/14/2014Visited on Valentine's day. Had 7:45pm reservations but wasn't seated for about 20 min (expected on this busy day). Restaurant is tiny and bar is so close to tables that it is difficult for servers and diners to maneuver without bumping into each other. After finally getting seated, we waited 5 min for the helper to the server to ask us what kind of water we wanted (took another 3 min to get the actual water). Another 5 min goes by before we finally get menus. 10 min elapse before we get bread, and the table next to us that sat after us got their bread first. Still haven't see our waiter. I get it's a busy night, but THIS busy? This place is too small to be this busy. Only redeeming quality was the food...steak was very good.Special Features:
- Food, fair to good. Service fairAlanVIPDined on 2/14/2014Food was fair to good. 2 entrees were good, 1 was fair, 1 was returned twice and finally canceled. Scallops were prepared incorrectly. NY Strip was essentially tasteless. Service was just fair. Food served "auction style", water and bread were never refilled. Management gave us numerous complimentary items in an effort to offset the problematic food and service issues. Might try again but not on my short list.
- Nice ExperienceKayla1Dined on 2/12/2014We were celebrating our anniversary on a Wednesday night when we could celebrate without the crowds. The service was excellent, as was the ambiance. Our meals were served hot, with nice presentation. My rib steak was done perfectly and was very tender. My husband had the short ribs which were delicious but could have used some additional sauce. Our dessert of rainbow cake was moist, with nice flavor. We would recommend this restaurants to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensive, and somewhatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014Very expensive, and somewhat disappointing. But best cannoli's ever
- Trying to be NYC , but fallingdinex2VIPDined on 1/31/2014Trying to be NYC , but falling short. Too much glitz, hugging and over kill with the service. The meal was just OK, but the price was for spectacular. Will not return.
- Tuscon SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2014Very small but nicely put together. If there are larger groups (6 to 8), intimacy is not possible. Noise will be a factor. Most tables were two or four people. Service was top notch. Bread was outstanding, totally different. Large and excellent apperizers. Steaks perfectly prepared. Short ribs were a miss. Side dishes were great. A good mix of customary steakhouse fare and Italian specialties work well together. Expensive like any other Long Island top tier steakhouse. An overall very good experience for a more sophisticated North Shore diner seeking an alternative from the 25A/Northern Blvd. steakhouses crowds that have to be "seen and heard" on Saturday nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Michaels - a keeper!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014For a Saturday night, after Newsday gave this restaurant a wonderful review, the service was terrific and the food delicious. The Tuscan bread, with gorgonzola cream and a few scattered scallion rounds, was a lovely and tasteful touch and different. The salad choices were interesting and when we asked for a slightly different version, it was not a problem. The same with substituting a baked potato for mashed. The oysters and the steak were superb! Saturday nights are tough for diners and for restaurants but J. Michaels delivered. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/10/2014The food was delicious and would definitely return however the wine list is limited.
- Great but very expensiveLouiseTDined on 1/8/2014The food and service are impeccable, but the cost is NYC expense account high. Come with a fat wallet nSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment dinerLuvfoodVIPDined on 12/28/2013Save your money.....nothing special about this steak house.This is not a 5 star testaurant
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013We went because of the article in Newsday and we were very disappointed with the quality of the steaks. We ordered Tbone, Bone in Filet, executive sirloin (which was terrible) and Prime Rib steak, they we just OK. However the appetizers were good and the service was excellent. Will not go back as we go to steakhouse all the time. This one was not worth the trip or steep check.
- A 50th birthday celebrationFoodcriticwannabeDined on 12/6/2013Service was great, waitstaff was knowledgeable about the wine list, steaks and chops were excellently prepared. The special J. Tuscan chopped salad of shrimp, asparagus, tomato and onion was a great starter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingDineVIPDined on 12/3/2013Very average food with high prices. Restaurant was without many patrons. The intermezzo of sherbet and gorgonzola soaked appetizer bread are poorly conceived items. The food was passable. The famous lobster meatball does not taste like lobster at all. More like a mysterious crab cake flavor in tomato sauce. Kansas City steak was ok. Steak sauce is not as tasty as Peter Luger's. The many excellent North Shore steakhouses need not worry about this place at all.
- The food was good but theSuttonDined on 11/29/2013The food was good but the bar and wine list was very limited. They don't serve Chopin or Titos vodka (no gluten free choices) and no Pinot Noir by the glass or bottle.
- Prime Rib Night!jgrahamiiiVIPDined on 11/26/2013Went here for the Tuesday Prime Rib special. Excellent deal on a more than excellent meal. Highly recommend. Otherwise fairly expensive, but for top quality meat and preparation. Italian specialties looked good as well, though did not try any. Lots of different steak options (prime rib normally not on menu). Wine list was Tuscan only from what I saw, but a nice selection. Will return to try other things.Special Features:
- Recommend with some hesitation.glad2respondDined on 11/16/2013The food was excellent and large portions. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. The service was excellent but the noise level was extremely high which interferred with our enyjoing our meal. The prices were high so I would recommend going there for a special occasion. Because of the noise level, I would not rush to go back.Special Features:
- Saturday night dinner with friendsStevieDined on 11/2/2013We decided to try this new restaurant for dinner with special friends. We were made to feel very special by the waiter, owner and all. The food was delicious, we all tried something different - steak, Chilean sea bass, chicken and salmon. Appetizers and salads equally delicious - veal meatballs and crabmeat appetizers. It's great to find a new restaurant that provides it all - great food, service, etc. we will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cozy atmosphere greatqueenlambVIPDined on 10/22/2013Very cozy atmosphere great bar excellent service. This was my 2nd time there first time food was excellent 2nd time not so great. I will try it again. Wait staff very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodie910Dined on 10/19/2013We had been to the J Michaels location in Northport and were so impressed with the food and service so we tried the new Oyster Bay location. Big mistake! The food , ambience and service were all a huge disappointment. We couldn't even believe the two restaurants were related, they were so completely different in terms of food, service and ambience. Needless to say, we will not be returning to the Oyster Bay location.
- Great steak cooked to perfectclaudVIPDined on 10/13/2013Great steak cooked to perfect temperature. Knowledgeable waiter who recommended the perfect bottle of wine. Free antipasto platter! Leftovers delivered to your valet parked car, so you can't forget them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers were mediocre.DineOutAlotDined on 10/5/2013Appetizers were mediocre. The JM stuffed shrimp at $24 grossly overpriced, too much stuffing, not enough crab. The "JM salad" again short on asparagus, shrimp too many onions. Porterhouse ordered medium, was medium rare, server did not offer to send it back or use the heat of the plate to further cook the meat. The seafood dish should have had another name, we expected mainly seafood in a broth with some linguine. Instead, it was on about a pound of spagetti! The seafood was plentiful, but could have been a little hotter when served. Dessert of homemade rainbow cookies was excellent.All in all we had a nice evening, but next time, we'd choose differently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT !!!!! WE WILL BEMICHAELVIPDined on 9/21/2013EXCELLENT !!!!! WE WILL BE BACK WITH FRIENDS !!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okFkobVIPDined on 9/21/2013Food was just ok. Filet mignon (advertised as 8oz) was more like 4 oz and had absolutely no seasoning/taste whatsoever. Very disappointing. Everything else was good, but not special.
- Manhattan's a bargainJasonDined on 9/21/2013Newest spot for J. Michael's taking over the old digs for Mill Pond Inn. Exceptionally friendly and professional staff and an affectionate owner offering hugs and kisses to both me and my wife as we entered and left two hours later. Small venue with approx. 15 tables but a bar area that takes up alomost half the real estate in the restauarant. This is a bit overwhelming if you're seated at a middle of the room table. Nice stuffed shrimp appetizer. Steaks were cooked well though my wife's bone in filet was superior to my bone in rib-eye. Side dishes were average. All in all, another decent Long Island steakhouse for all the others to compete with. Except... $70 per steak! All thing's equal, head west to Manhattan - it's a bargain.Special Features:
- This place is great if youMizlabelDined on 6/29/2012This place is great if you go on the weekend after 9:30 or 10:00--GREAT music and tons of fun! It's VERY loud, so don't expect to be able to hold a conversation, but it's a great place to go for fun. The food is pretty good, and the drinks are fabulous. Great for special occasion, especially with a big group. You need reservations and probably should try several weeks in advance.Special Features:
- Serata is great for the overKimster28VIPDined on 4/18/2012Serata is great for the over 35 crowd that is looking for some dancing after dinner. Food is good .Special Features: