J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Northport
688 Fort Salonga Road
Northport, NY 11768Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Northport
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jmichaelstuscansteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6316519411
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 1:30pm September thru Mother's Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Vincent P. Michaels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Ben Laiacona 6316519411
- Entertainment: We have Jazz and Soft Rock duos on Monday and Thursday nightsstarting at 7PM.
A word from J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Northport
Welcome to J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse. An innovative combination of rustic Italian food and Prime dry aged steak and chops.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Northport reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (16)romantic (13)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Romantic steakhouseKatie59Dined on 8/23/2014From the minute you walk in J.Michaels you feel the special warm welcome that continued through till the end of our night! The food is amazing. Always different specials to choose from. The zucchini appetizer was delicious! And the cucumber salad was perfect!! We shared the porterhouse steak that melts in your mouth. We look forward to going back.Special Features:
- TuscanDebspickDined on 8/8/2014If you are a lobster lover, J Michaels has a 3 course lobster dinner on Friday nights. It was excellent. The first part of the meal is always my favorite, tuscan bread with gorgonzola cheese, to die for.Special Features:
- High-end steak spotCharlieDined on 7/17/2014We went here for a special occasion, and it was lovely. Service was impeccable, with the entire staff almost falling all over us and the other customers. With only a few tables, it's not hard for them. If you go here, go for the steak, and bring a fat wallet. Personally, I think $50 to $100 is way too much for a steak, regardless of the quality, aging, and preparation. But folks all around us were ordering it, so it must be good. I opted for a more reasonably priced shrimp dish, which was very good. My wife, however, had a chicken dish that was dry and tough - not what one would expect from a high-end restaurant. So go for the steak, and be prepared to pay for it.Special Features:
- DisappointingJenLIFoodieDined on 7/9/2014Simply put--J. Michaels is overpriced and not worth it. We've had food far superior at a much better price point. Also of note is related to the staff--they seriously were over the top, "trying" (very obviously) to have this air of pretentiousness--it was such a turn off. It was actually laughable..."madam". "the gentleman"---really? That might work for the senior set, but not for us. It was quite off-putting. If the food is awesome, no need to put on an act. No need for us to return. I wish we had read reviews before dropping such big bucks!Special Features:
- ALWAYS A GREAT CHOICEMiMiDined on 7/5/2014NEVER A DISAPPOINTMENT - CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON A GREAT STEAK DINNER AND THE SERVICE IS ALWAYS OUTSTANDINGSpecial Features:
- Very good... but even so PriceyColoCaneVIPDined on 6/28/2014Good for a special occasion, if small group or couple. Dining area is small and tight if most tables full (maybe 8). Décor nice but austere, somewhat informal. Shame as food - steak, chops, and fish; is very well prepared. Steaks charred with perfect medium rare middle (as requested). Creamed spinach and roasted brussell sprouts were very fresh as well. Service seemed pushy at onset, but settled down and we had a nice leisurely meal. Waiters were professional and friendly. Treated you as friends. Some good choices in wine, but considering fare, would really benefit from a more extensive list. All-in-all, an enjoyable evening. But be ready for a $62 bone-in filet or a $69 bone-in ribeye. Great fresh food, locale doesn't seem to match.Special Features:
- CookieVIPDined on 6/24/2014First class food, first class service and first class atmosphere....The pork chop was everything and more of what it should be....cooked perfectly, moist and tender for a chop that large! The Brazilian lobster tail was the best I've ever eaten!...Tony's suggestions were perfect from start to finish!Special Features:
- ***Spend Your Top $$$$ Elsewhere***bboomerVIPDined on 6/20/2014EXTREMELY PRICEY - FOR WAHT? Room was ice cold on arrival...asked for them to turn it down. They made us feel like we were imposing. Bone-in rib eye was great - albeit pricey for a 28oz. at $69. Very limited wine list - only 15 reds. That shows they are working with limited capital. Had the Ruffino "Modus" for $80. THAT IS A 3X MARK UP - EXREMELY HIGH FOR A RESTAURANT OF JUST THIS CALIBER. Locally this wine sells for $26. Lagavulin Single Malt was $24 per glass neat (very high). We could have gone to Rothmann's in East Norwich and had better service, better ambiance, equally good food, for about $80 less. A true judge of a restaurant is when I answer the question - will I come back here? This would be a definite NO.
- Great food excellent service..WeLuv2dineDined on 6/8/2014Very good food & service was excellent! Pretty pricey tho. We dine 2-3x wk at nice rests incl oth steakhouses! Worth exp tho!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My MistakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014The food was very good and the service was outstanding. The service alone would bring us back! This will be our special go to place.Special Features:
- lynnfDined on 5/31/2014this is the 3rd time we have been back there for dinner with friends. the food is exceptional. the waitstaff makes your meal enjoyable. we would definitely recommend going there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Michaels Never DisappointsJudyHDined on 5/24/2014We have been to J. Michaels for special occasions (as it can be a little pricey) three or four times. It never disappoints. The staff, particularly Dominick, pay special attention and are quite personable. They make you feel like you are the only ones in the room. The food is always terrific from the gorgonzola bread to the coffee and dessert. Highly recommend. One of the classiest places in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable.diamondi313VIPDined on 5/23/2014For those of us whose image of fine dining in Northport includes only Maroni's, add J michael's to that list. We set upstairs, which was a calm, quiet room. Our waiter was right out of central casting for a waiter who would fit in in any red checked table cloth Italian restaurant. But, J Michaels is more than a red checked Italian -- it has selected Italian dishes but is also a very good steakhouse. All food was well prepared and presented. The steaks were high quality. Service was attentive and friendly but not overwhelming.
- Not for meGramyDined on 5/10/2014Food was good,over priced ,no ambience, way to loud ,and water was loud and over the top annoying . If you could block out everything else the food was good
- Waited two hoursMomof4VIPDined on 5/10/2014Sat down and waited a long time for drinks, appetizers and all requests. Took two hours to receive main course. Prices are very high. Veal chop was dry and tasteless. Noise level and acoustical awful. Will never go back
- Incredible Steak HouseHuntingtoniteDined on 5/7/2014We totally enjoyed our experience at j. Michaels from the moment the valet greeted us until he helped us to our car. We were totally spoiled by the staff and were served an incredible meal. The ribeye was perfect. We will definitely recommend to friends and return ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 169 reviews are from the J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse of Northport reviews archive.
- Excellent Night!EaterNY24Dined on 4/19/2014Our waiter, Tony, is great! We love every time we go there and he is there. My husband said his steak was one of the best he's ever eaten and he is a big steak lover. My coconut martini was delicious! My scallops were cooked perfect and the meal overall was excellent.Special Features:
- Great but expensiveEastEnderDined on 4/11/2014I've been to J Michael's three times now and it is always fantastic. This time I went for the Brazilian lobster tail stuffed with lump crabmeat. Didn't realize it was $110 though! My fault. It was on the blackboard as a special and I didn't notice the price. Nontheless, it was delicious (for that price it better be!). One complaint I have is the overall price though. I think the restaurant out priced the area. Charging Manhattan prices in Northport really doesn't work. It's just doesn't belong. Based on the amount of empty tables at prime time on a Friday night may reflect that. Not sure if a restaurant can stay in business with empty tables. That being said, those looking for a great meal, and can afford to pay for it, should dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- way too expensiveHollyVIPDined on 4/5/2014While the service was very good, at times they did not pay attention to.detail. our food was removed more than once without asking if we were finished. The waiter was amazing though, knew his stuff well, was pleasant and funny. The pricing is what we had the hardest time with. Outrageous. Definitely not worth what they are charging. I thought pretty nervey in fact. Unfortunately for that reason I would not return. Dinner was 300 for two of us. That was for 4 appetizers split between 6 of us. 2 bottles of moderately priced wine, 3 sides and our entrees, and two desserts at $13 a piece. The porterhouse for two was $104, the Executive sirloin for two was $112 and my filet mignon was $65. Holy moly. But, we did enjoy our evening!Special Features:
- Don't goFoodiefamilyDined on 4/5/2014If you want a cramped very loud space where it took 2 hours to only have gotten thru 1 course then this is the place for you. Our only saving grace was that we were at the last table against the wall so we did not have to endure the staff walking past our table and bumping into us all night. The dinner took 4 hours and the chairs are too hard to sit on for that long a period of time. When we commented on how long things were taking the waiter responded that they only have a six burner stove. The food is fine but the space is way to cramped to sit for 4 hours. Would not go back.
- Disappointing experiencemccmVIPDined on 4/5/2014Unfortunately this was a disappointing experience for us. Given the great ratings/press JM has gotten we were eager to try it, being foodies who appreciate a great dining experience. While all personnel were very nice, the wait staff was a bit overbearing (perhaps due to the early hour we were there with few other customers). The porterhouse for 2 was full of fat and sinew. When we noted this to the waiter he responded that the steak was supposed to have fat. We are well familiar with this cut of steak and the amount of fat it should have, our steak here was a bad cut. There was no offer to get a manager or attempt to resolve the issue. And steaks are not cheap so at a place of this supposed caliber we expected alot more.
- Just the BEST!5555Dined on 3/29/2014The food is always good and the wait staff is the best on Long Island. You feel special every minute you are there. Love it. Thank you Dominic, Tony and Chris. You are the bestSpecial Features:
- Excellent but too priceyCam77Dined on 3/28/2014Service, steaks, scotch...impeccable! A little tough on the executive sirloin, which despite what they say about being as tender as filet mignon, is not. Only drawback, $100 for. 2.5 lb lobster? Ask for cost for "specials"... They don't volunteer them!Special Features:
- Expensive, but worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2014The food and service was absolutely incredible. Steaks cooked perfectly, great wine list. Made for a heavy bill but if you enjoy fine dining in a beautiful setting, this place is totally you're way to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a KingHunt52Dined on 3/1/2014Higher priced than other restaurants in the neighborhood but wort the extra investment. The service is outstanding and all four courses were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but very expensiveENPTDined on 2/28/2014The food was very good. It was very expensive and you really got not much for your money. Everything is Ala cart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/26/2014The food was outstanding. Skip lunch so you are hungry because there are so many items worth ordering on the menu. It is pricey but no more so than any of the other upscale restaurants in the area. The difference though is J Michael's has great steaks to choose from but also the amazing Italian specials in case you aren't in the mood for steak. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing food and service!!anniversarydinnerDined on 2/17/2014amazing food and service!! A bit pricy for a dinner for two!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServicePaulDined on 2/15/2014Great food and the service is wonderful. We would come more often if not for the very high cost.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceAllyMcmDined on 2/15/2014This restaurant was a great find in Northport! If you like a great steak and lobster Mac and cheeses - this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, very good. Steaks wereEdwardDined on 2/14/2014Very, very good. Steaks were wonderful, service was great. My wife and I had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome dinnersamrodDined on 2/14/2014The food, service and ambiance were outstanding. We went on Valentines Day so it was very busy, however the staff went above and beyond to make sure people were comfortable which we were. One of the best steaks we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but . . . .LigityDined on 2/14/2014Took my wife here for Valentine's Day. The food was amazing, but it was incredibly expensive. we did NOT get a bottle of wine: 1 Appetizer, One Salad, steak for two, two sides, and a dessert. My wife had 3 glasses of wine, and we had a soda and sparkling water. Bill was $250+tip. While food was quite excellent, I definitely don't feel it was worth the money. Also - on a busy night, there was no place comfortable to wait for our table, but I'm sure that had more to do with being Valentines Day than anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect eveninganjacDined on 2/14/2014The service and food are excellent. The restaurant can get a little tight for space on busy nights. But I would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good but very expensiveKvpromosVIPDined on 2/14/2014Although I found the experience very pleasurable, the costs were EXORBITANT. 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 1 dessert and 5 cocktails should not equal $460 with tip. It would have to be a very, very special occasion for us to consider this restaurant again in the future. Valentines Day dinner: 1 shrimp salad, 1 fried ravioli, 1 porterhouse for 2, 1 8 oz lobster tail, 1 homemade devil dog, 2 cosmos & 2 scotch's YIKES!Special Features:
- Great little steak house!shan17817VIPDined on 2/8/2014We had a wonderful time for my son's 17th birthday! The staff made us feel very welcome and made my son feel special! The food was excellent. The only negative was that toward the end of our meal they got very busy and the wait was a bit long for the check. It is quite expensive but all steak houses are expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All-A-Round!!DWestburyDined on 2/1/2014Enjoyed the entire experience from beginning to end. Very warm, cozy and elegant ambiance. We dined upstairs and had a very attentive team of 3 serving our table of 4. The guys were very entertaining as well. Service was impeccible...they even brought our doggie bags out to the car for us. Menu was very inventive...especially the appetizers. They had a slew of specials as well. All steaks were cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SteakBlitzjbVIPDined on 2/1/2014My wife and I enjoy this restaurant a few times a year. The executive sirloin is one of the best steaks I have ever had. It better be, as it is more expensive than Peter Luger's. The service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinnerVIPDined on 2/1/2014Ate here for first time. Food was outstanding as was the service. Lobster Meatballs were amazing and very unique. We both had the aged steaks and they were outstanding. Food portions are generous so items can easily be split which is good given the $$$ is quite high. We sat downstairs and I would recommend this over upstairs if given a choice. Upstairs seemed more loud and not as quiet/romantic if that is what you are looking for. All in all a great experience and one of the best steaks I've had. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedbackHuntDined on 2/1/2014I was disappointed by the environment. It is a tiny place and the acoustics are poor. The servers are excellent and food was all very good. It is pricey though for what it is. I don't think the prices are justified.I would recommend this to a friend.