J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
Overland Park, KS 66212Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?825
- Phone: (913) 642-8070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4PM-10PM | Friday & Saturday 4PM-10:30PM | Sunday 4PM-9PM.
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ruben Rosales
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday - Saturday: Live Music in the lounge from 6:00 - 9:00pm
- Special Events: Happy hour food and drink specials: SUNDAY – FRIDAY | 4pm - 6:30pm | BAR ONLY.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week and lunch banquets. Reservations are recommendedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park - Best Restaurants in Overland Park ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
296 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (231)romantic (173)notable wine list (107)fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (97)good for groups (73)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (16)late-night find (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014This was my first dining experience at J. Gilbert's. My husband and I were celebrating our 45th anniversary. We found the food to be very good; the service excellent; and the atmosphere outstanding. I would definitely recommend the restaurant for any special occasion such as an anniversary, promotion, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks by farAlliGDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I refuse to eat steak anywhere else. We recently went to celebrate our anniversary, and they offered us a champagne toast or free dessert to celebrate. Servers are always extremely pleasant and professional. Everything from the hot bread and salads with chilled forks to the superb steaks are delicious. The side dishes are not throwaways; all of the potato options are wonderful, and my husband raves about the lobster mac and cheese. The chocolate velvet cake we had for dessert was decadent. We left pleasantly (if not painfully) stuffed. There are only three things I noticed that night that weren't perfect: they had three or four young hostesses standing around the front desk, drinking from to go cups, seemingly without anything to do. My silverware was spotted, which was surprising. Lastly, there is a live singer in the bar on Saturday nights, and we always seem to be seated in the dining room close to where he sings. The noise level without his performance is already loud enough, but once his set begins, conversation at the table becomes difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodrailroaderDined on 11/15/2014We really enjoyed the special cocktails and the entrees were excellent - great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The brussels sprouts were highly recommended by the waitress. Several of us ordered them and they were way overcooked, dried out, totally tasteless. My filet was nice, tender cut, but lacked flavor. Onion rings and Augratin potatoes were very good.
- The food is always great, especially the steaks.etceDined on 11/14/2014The food is always great, especially the steaks. The ambiance is great as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food/Mediocre ServiceMrhdalDined on 11/10/2014J Gilbert's is one of my favorite KC restaurants. The food is consistently excellent, particularly the seafood. The service is typically flawless. The service on this occasion was disappointing. The server was not friendly, needed repeated reminders to refill water and other beverages and was not knowledgable about many menu items. The service will not keep me from the restaurant but I will specify a server in the future.Special Features:
- Never dissapointed!MelanieDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I dine here often. We enjoy coming on the weekends to enjoy the live music in the bar area. It's a cozy and romantic way to start our evening. We were seated by the fireplace and it was the perfect spot for our date night. The steaks are always perfect and our service has always been great.Special Features:
- Overpriced OverhypedMVM2VIPDined on 11/8/2014Wants to be an expensive steakhouse. They should start with quality meat. All three people in our party had sinewy, bad cuts of beef. For the price, go somewhere that knows how to do it right. It's not J. Gilbert's.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Great service, wonderful food, what more could you ask for,Special Features:
- We will returnfoodandloveDined on 11/5/2014I brought my girlfriend for her birthday. It was a perfect experience. We didn't wait, our reservation was upheld and the service was fantastic. All of our food was delicious and cooked to perfection. The atmosphere was intimate, yet there was plenty of opportunity for conversation without interruption. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerRadmanDined on 11/4/2014I had the filet and my wife had the bourbon glazed salmon. Everything was perfectSpecial Features:
- Gr8nightoutDined on 11/3/2014The food is wonderful. The wait staff is excellent. We were there for a special occasion which came off perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Kansas City gemKCDinersDined on 11/2/2014One of our favorite dinner restaurants in Kansas City. Never have been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014As always, the food, atmosphere and service was the best. J Gilbert's has been a favorite for a long time. I always go back. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- DSBKANSDined on 11/1/2014AS USUAL THE FOOD AND SERVICE WAS OUTSTANDING. tHE STEAKS WERE GRILLED TO OUR REQUEST AND ALL OF THE FOOD WAS HOT WHEN WE WERE SERVED.WE DINE HERE WHENEVER WE GET TO OVERLAND PARK. HIGHLY RECCOMMEND.Special Features:
- Birthday treat for GrandsonceeceeVIPDined on 10/29/2014I took my grandson to J. Gilbert's for his 12th birthday. A birthday card was waiting on the table, etc. It was a special evening. Thank you J. Gilbert.Special Features:
- Ambience and FoodkarenaxVIPDined on 10/29/2014This is a great restuarant. Wait staff is professional yet friendly. The lighting is relaxixng. Love their prix fixe menuSpecial Features:
- PlumDined on 10/29/2014Anniversary dinner. Food was delicious. Steak and lobster were perfect. Brusselsprouts had great flavor, but a little hard to chew. Ambience was very nice. Liked the noise level Lots of people dining, but we had enough privacy in our large booth. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Loved itElizDined on 10/25/2014Delicious, great service also. We truly enjoyed the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysMeanJean43Dined on 10/25/2014We took some good friends to dinner on Saturday night. The hostess was kind enough to seat us in the bar so the guys could watch the World Series. Server was pleasant, food was excellent and the company was awesome. Great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlwaysjjannerDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I always have a great time at J.Gilbert's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J GILBERTSdeclineVIPDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful atmosphere, great food and service, but very expensive.Special Features:
- nice for group outingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We had a work gathering at J. Gilbert's and it was perfect for what we were wanting, excellent food, excellent service and a room large enough to sit all of us together... Highly recommend for a group or for a nice date night!Special Features:
- Family GatheringFamGathDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I meet her two sisters and husbands for dinner in the bar area. Had a great time which was greatly enhanced by great food and very good service. The level of server interaction was just right and delivered in a very friendly manner.Special Features:
- Never disappointedPAtoKSDined on 10/25/2014We have been to J. Gilbert's on several occasions and never been disappointed. Always excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grandma 6Grandma6VIPDined on 10/24/2014Food and service is consistently excellent making JGilbert's one of our favorites.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerDavesDined on 10/24/2014We enjoyed great service and just the right amount of service. Steaks were just as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Anniversary dinnerfoodie13Dined on 10/24/2014We always enjoy our experience at J. Gilbert's but this anniversary dinner was our best experience yet. Our waiter was EXCELLENT. He was attentive without being intrusive, was on point with everything, never had to wait or ask for a refill or anything at all. When we mentioned we had a coupon to use he didn't treat us like second class citizens. I hate trying to use coupons at restaurants b/c once you mention it, it seems the service level changes or the server's attitude does. Not with James. He was as polite as the beginning and amazingly professional. Wish we could have him every time we dine there. My husband's steak was delicious, as good as the first one he ever got there. My scallops were melt in your mouth wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an unexpected treat!glhkcmoVIPDined on 10/22/2014In KC, if you don't have your favorite go-to steak place then you probably haven't lived here long. If I'm hungry for a steak, I typically don't venture out of my tried-and-true go-to restaurants. My husband, on the other hand, is an explorer. New=fun, so for our anniversary I hit the Zagat list and saw J. Gilbert's. I'm also typically anti-chain, but between the menu, the reviews and this being a place new to us both (though we drive by often), we decided to give it a try. HOLY hidden treasure. We had a anniversary card at our table with a champagne toast on the house. Really? The steaks...OH that mesquite. Server was awesome, and made us feel like guests of honor. (Sign up for email for deals.) Wow, thank you for such a special evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food and Terrific WaitressCATNIPDined on 10/21/2014The waitress was very pleasant and gracious. Had appetizers, salads, and entrees. Lot of food and very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The food was delicious and the noise level was not an issue at all even as we had a group of six people. The service was good, not stellar. I was expecting a bit more given the menu prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome servicedjrevordDined on 10/19/2014Came in for my boyfriend's birthday dinner. Started with cocktails at the bar, ended at a booth fit for a king and queen. James L. is an exceptional server. Good was delicious as always. Sunday nights are half-priced bottles of wine night!Special Features:
- Definitely recommend it!!DinerDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful from start to finish. Christine was an excellent server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great PlaceMeateaterDined on 10/19/2014I'm from Europe and the feeling was back. It is great place to eat in nice calm light and very romantically done place. It would be better not to take you kids with you as this is really special place.Special Features:
- 5 starscandycaneDined on 10/18/2014My very favorite resturant- They meet all expectations!!!!Special Features:
- Great anniversary experiencesteakloverDined on 10/18/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at J. Gilbert's. I love the wood-fired steaks and impeccable service. On this occasion, the service was extremely top-notch. When the wine I initially selected was not to my liking, the server provided an alternative selection at no extra charge. The steaks were fabulous, though not 100% to my preparation preference (instead of medium rare, I felt my filet came out more towards medium). However, extremely well done nevertheless. I went for the three-course dinner and was absolutely stuffed by the time dessert arrived. A great experience once again.Special Features:
- Simply amazingLovethesteak1Dined on 10/17/2014The food especially the steaks is simply amazing. Steaks are melt in your mouth perfect. The service is great. A little loud but the food makes up for it. Sides are good. Bread that they bring to the table is so good. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a great steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SavorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014Great wood fired steaks. Excellent ambience in bar area.. Always lives up to high expectations. Bone in filet, WOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kc's finestSteveinkcDined on 10/14/2014this is probably one of the premier steak houses in all of KC.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Disappointed. Had heard it was very good. wife's potatoes were room temp. my steak was under cooked and wife's was overlooked. will probably not go back