J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
Overland Park, KS 66212Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?825
- Phone: 9136428070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4PM-10PM | Friday & Saturday 4PM-10:30PM | Sunday 4PM-9PM.
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ruben Rosales
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday - Saturday: Live Music in the lounge from 6:00 - 9:00pm
- Special Events: Happy hour food and drink specials: SUNDAY – FRIDAY | 4pm - 6:30pm | BAR ONLY.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week and lunch banquets. Reservations are recommendedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park - Best Restaurants in Overland Park ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (231)romantic (179)notable wine list (111)neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (103)good for groups (74)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (16)great for lunch (12)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Loved itElizDined on 10/25/2014Delicious, great service also. We truly enjoyed the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysMeanJean43Dined on 10/25/2014We took some good friends to dinner on Saturday night. The hostess was kind enough to seat us in the bar so the guys could watch the World Series. Server was pleasant, food was excellent and the company was awesome. Great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlwaysjjannerDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I always have a great time at J.Gilbert's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J GILBERTSdeclineVIPDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful atmosphere, great food and service, but very expensive.Special Features:
- nice for group outingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We had a work gathering at J. Gilbert's and it was perfect for what we were wanting, excellent food, excellent service and a room large enough to sit all of us together... Highly recommend for a group or for a nice date night!Special Features:
- Family GatheringFamGathDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I meet her two sisters and husbands for dinner in the bar area. Had a great time which was greatly enhanced by great food and very good service. The level of server interaction was just right and delivered in a very friendly manner.Special Features:
- Never disappointedPAtoKSDined on 10/25/2014We have been to J. Gilbert's on several occasions and never been disappointed. Always excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grandma 6Grandma6Dined on 10/24/2014Food and service is consistently excellent making JGilbert's one of our favorites.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerDavesDined on 10/24/2014We enjoyed great service and just the right amount of service. Steaks were just as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Anniversary dinnerfoodie13Dined on 10/24/2014We always enjoy our experience at J. Gilbert's but this anniversary dinner was our best experience yet. Our waiter was EXCELLENT. He was attentive without being intrusive, was on point with everything, never had to wait or ask for a refill or anything at all. When we mentioned we had a coupon to use he didn't treat us like second class citizens. I hate trying to use coupons at restaurants b/c once you mention it, it seems the service level changes or the server's attitude does. Not with James. He was as polite as the beginning and amazingly professional. Wish we could have him every time we dine there. My husband's steak was delicious, as good as the first one he ever got there. My scallops were melt in your mouth wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an unexpected treat!glhkcmoVIPDined on 10/22/2014In KC, if you don't have your favorite go-to steak place then you probably haven't lived here long. If I'm hungry for a steak, I typically don't venture out of my tried-and-true go-to restaurants. My husband, on the other hand, is an explorer. New=fun, so for our anniversary I hit the Zagat list and saw J. Gilbert's. I'm also typically anti-chain, but between the menu, the reviews and this being a place new to us both (though we drive by often), we decided to give it a try. HOLY hidden treasure. We had a anniversary card at our table with a champagne toast on the house. Really? The steaks...OH that mesquite. Server was awesome, and made us feel like guests of honor. (Sign up for email for deals.) Wow, thank you for such a special evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food and Terrific WaitressCATNIPDined on 10/21/2014The waitress was very pleasant and gracious. Had appetizers, salads, and entrees. Lot of food and very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The food was delicious and the noise level was not an issue at all even as we had a group of six people. The service was good, not stellar. I was expecting a bit more given the menu prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome servicedjrevordDined on 10/19/2014Came in for my boyfriend's birthday dinner. Started with cocktails at the bar, ended at a booth fit for a king and queen. James L. is an exceptional server. Good was delicious as always. Sunday nights are half-priced bottles of wine night!Special Features:
- Definitely recommend it!!DinerDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful from start to finish. Christine was an excellent server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great PlaceMeateaterDined on 10/19/2014I'm from Europe and the feeling was back. It is great place to eat in nice calm light and very romantically done place. It would be better not to take you kids with you as this is really special place.Special Features:
- 5 starscandycaneDined on 10/18/2014My very favorite resturant- They meet all expectations!!!!Special Features:
- Great anniversary experiencesteakloverDined on 10/18/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at J. Gilbert's. I love the wood-fired steaks and impeccable service. On this occasion, the service was extremely top-notch. When the wine I initially selected was not to my liking, the server provided an alternative selection at no extra charge. The steaks were fabulous, though not 100% to my preparation preference (instead of medium rare, I felt my filet came out more towards medium). However, extremely well done nevertheless. I went for the three-course dinner and was absolutely stuffed by the time dessert arrived. A great experience once again.Special Features:
- Simply amazingLovethesteak1Dined on 10/17/2014The food especially the steaks is simply amazing. Steaks are melt in your mouth perfect. The service is great. A little loud but the food makes up for it. Sides are good. Bread that they bring to the table is so good. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a great steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SavorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014Great wood fired steaks. Excellent ambience in bar area.. Always lives up to high expectations. Bone in filet, WOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kc's finestSteveinkcDined on 10/14/2014this is probably one of the premier steak houses in all of KC.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Disappointed. Had heard it was very good. wife's potatoes were room temp. my steak was under cooked and wife's was overlooked. will probably not go back
- It was an off nightScuderiaDined on 10/10/2014Slower than usual, mainly because of the game. The food was a little slow but still amazing. Service wasn't as good as usual, but everyone has an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner to rememberErinlDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I ate here for my birthday and everything was fabulous! We had a great dining experience and will definitely return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 10/10/2014We came here for steak on a Friday night. Started with the maytag blue chips, which are delicious. We both ended up with version of a filet, and both orders were fork tender and cooked perfectly. They have a nice variety of wines by the glass in addition to a lengthy wine list. You can also choose from various pour sizes, which is nice. Service is always professional, attentive but not intrusive. Parking is easy. This is our go-to for steak and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014As always, the food was amazing, service prompt, and ambiance was great. One of overland parks hidden gems!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodLoveMusicDined on 10/8/2014We dine at J. Gilbert's from time to time and are always very pleased with the food and service. They have an excellent selection of steaks and seafood, and do a very nice job with the preparation of the meals. A very nice establishment.Special Features:
- Awesome RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/5/2014Great food, great service, great ambience! J. Gilbert's is our favorite place to dine in Overland Park. We've never had a bad meal or bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed!SodapopDined on 10/4/2014Excellent food, great service and perfect for date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Worst food and service for a fine dining restaurant I've ever had.
- very enjoyable!CorvettegirlDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful food, excellent service, cozy atmosphere!Special Features:
- celebrated our 33rd Anniversary!LeawoodRealtorDined on 10/2/2014We have relatives and friends that rave about J.Glberts and now that we experienced it ourselves....join in their praise. We were excited to walk into such a warm, inviting atmosphere and found the arrangement of booths/tables to allow for some privacy. Our waitress was funny yet formal enough to preserve that special service touch. I had arranged our reservation for two using the online service on J.Glberts website. In the notes I mentioned our 33rd anniversary. Upon arrival at our table, our service had placed a hand written note recognizing our event and offering an "on the house" champagne toast or dessert. J.Gilberts will be on the top of our list for our next special occasion. "Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014The food and service was amazing! I have been coming here for 16 years and have always had a great meal and service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014J. Gilbert's is my all time favorite restaurant. I would recommend to any and everyone for a wonderful dining experience. Excellent food, excellent service, excellent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SpecialCWdinesVIPDined on 9/27/2014We made our reservation with Open Table and informed J Gilbert's that we were a birthday party of (4) with (2) birthday's- We were treated exceptionally well, and as usual the food was outstanding. My wife ordered the swordfish special and it was moist and flavorful. My steak was done just right and also very flavorful. We continue to be impressed with the consistent quality of service and food. We think its one of the best steak restaurants in KC!Special Features:
- A Kansas City FavLuvsfinediningDined on 9/26/2014J. Gilbert's is one of the best restaurants in Kansas City. The atmosphere is great and the food and service is outstanding every time. You cannot go wrong dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On point as usual!beachlvrDined on 9/26/2014We've lived in KC since college so have tried many of the best of the best restaurants (we're avid seafood and steak lovers). Of all the places we've tried (all the big names on the Plaza, Downtown, Town Center, P&L etc), J. Gilberts continues to rank among my hubby's faves when it comes to wood fired steaks. Dined here again for his birthday dinner and once more food was delicious, service great! Oooo, and the triple layer chocolate cake? Heaven!!Special Features:
- Superb SupperFoodieVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had the prize fixe 6 oz center cut filet dinner. It was a fantastic choice. The sides were great and the steak cooked as ordered. The salads were wonderful and the desserts perfect. Our server Raquel was attentive and very accommodating. We ordered mushrooms on the side. We had a $100 open table check that made our dinner even better. We love open table and the restaurants that take part always seem to meet our expectations and this one is exceptional. Great bar scene and happy hour. Highly recommend for food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014It was just okay - mediocre at best. And the prices are sky high too. My Yukon gold mashed potatoes arrived lukewarm and center cut filet mignon tasted curiously like a bacon wrapped sirloin we've bought at HyVee. the Caesar's salad for $7.25 was yummy, but not $7.25 worth of yummy. I would not return to this restaurant. Our co-diner's steak arrived medium rare when she asked for medium well. For $31, I think the kitchen could pay attention to the orders a little closer.
- Birthday ladygoldenoldie67Dined on 9/20/2014Wonderful night with family for my 65th Birthday. Waiter was wonderful because he took special care of us for my birthday and because my husband needed a special no salt fare. He was very careful and entertaining at the same time! The food was superb. A special and memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.