J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
Overland Park, KS 66212Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?825
- Phone: 9136428070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4PM-10PM | Friday & Saturday 4PM-10:30PM | Sunday 4PM-9PM.
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ruben Rosales
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday - Saturday: Live Music in the lounge from 6:00 - 9:00pm
- Special Events: Happy hour food and drink specials: SUNDAY – FRIDAY | 4pm - 6:30pm | BAR ONLY.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week and lunch banquets. Reservations are recommendedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park - Best Restaurants in Overland Park ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (211)romantic (166)notable wine list (102)neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (89)good for groups (68)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (15)late-night find (11)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My very favorite resturant- They meet all expectations!!!!Special Features:
- SavorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014Great wood fired steaks. Excellent ambience in bar area.. Always lives up to high expectations. Bone in filet, WOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kc's finestSteveinkcDined on 10/14/2014this is probably one of the premier steak houses in all of KC.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Disappointed. Had heard it was very good. wife's potatoes were room temp. my steak was under cooked and wife's was overlooked. will probably not go back
- It was an off nightScuderiaDined on 10/10/2014Slower than usual, mainly because of the game. The food was a little slow but still amazing. Service wasn't as good as usual, but everyone has an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner to rememberErinlDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I ate here for my birthday and everything was fabulous! We had a great dining experience and will definitely return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 10/10/2014We came here for steak on a Friday night. Started with the maytag blue chips, which are delicious. We both ended up with version of a filet, and both orders were fork tender and cooked perfectly. They have a nice variety of wines by the glass in addition to a lengthy wine list. You can also choose from various pour sizes, which is nice. Service is always professional, attentive but not intrusive. Parking is easy. This is our go-to for steak and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014As always, the food was amazing, service prompt, and ambiance was great. One of overland parks hidden gems!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodLoveMusicDined on 10/8/2014We dine at J. Gilbert's from time to time and are always very pleased with the food and service. They have an excellent selection of steaks and seafood, and do a very nice job with the preparation of the meals. A very nice establishment.Special Features:
- Awesome RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/5/2014Great food, great service, great ambience! J. Gilbert's is our favorite place to dine in Overland Park. We've never had a bad meal or bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed!SodapopDined on 10/4/2014Excellent food, great service and perfect for date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Worst food and service for a fine dining restaurant I've ever had.
- very enjoyable!CorvettegirlDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful food, excellent service, cozy atmosphere!Special Features:
- celebrated our 33rd Anniversary!LeawoodRealtorDined on 10/2/2014We have relatives and friends that rave about J.Glberts and now that we experienced it ourselves....join in their praise. We were excited to walk into such a warm, inviting atmosphere and found the arrangement of booths/tables to allow for some privacy. Our waitress was funny yet formal enough to preserve that special service touch. I had arranged our reservation for two using the online service on J.Glberts website. In the notes I mentioned our 33rd anniversary. Upon arrival at our table, our service had placed a hand written note recognizing our event and offering an "on the house" champagne toast or dessert. J.Gilberts will be on the top of our list for our next special occasion. "Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014The food and service was amazing! I have been coming here for 16 years and have always had a great meal and service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014J. Gilbert's is my all time favorite restaurant. I would recommend to any and everyone for a wonderful dining experience. Excellent food, excellent service, excellent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SpecialCWdinesVIPDined on 9/27/2014We made our reservation with Open Table and informed J Gilbert's that we were a birthday party of (4) with (2) birthday's- We were treated exceptionally well, and as usual the food was outstanding. My wife ordered the swordfish special and it was moist and flavorful. My steak was done just right and also very flavorful. We continue to be impressed with the consistent quality of service and food. We think its one of the best steak restaurants in KC!Special Features:
- A Kansas City FavLuvsfinediningDined on 9/26/2014J. Gilbert's is one of the best restaurants in Kansas City. The atmosphere is great and the food and service is outstanding every time. You cannot go wrong dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On point as usual!beachlvrDined on 9/26/2014We've lived in KC since college so have tried many of the best of the best restaurants (we're avid seafood and steak lovers). Of all the places we've tried (all the big names on the Plaza, Downtown, Town Center, P&L etc), J. Gilberts continues to rank among my hubby's faves when it comes to wood fired steaks. Dined here again for his birthday dinner and once more food was delicious, service great! Oooo, and the triple layer chocolate cake? Heaven!!Special Features:
- Superb SupperFoodieVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had the prize fixe 6 oz center cut filet dinner. It was a fantastic choice. The sides were great and the steak cooked as ordered. The salads were wonderful and the desserts perfect. Our server Raquel was attentive and very accommodating. We ordered mushrooms on the side. We had a $100 open table check that made our dinner even better. We love open table and the restaurants that take part always seem to meet our expectations and this one is exceptional. Great bar scene and happy hour. Highly recommend for food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014It was just okay - mediocre at best. And the prices are sky high too. My Yukon gold mashed potatoes arrived lukewarm and center cut filet mignon tasted curiously like a bacon wrapped sirloin we've bought at HyVee. the Caesar's salad for $7.25 was yummy, but not $7.25 worth of yummy. I would not return to this restaurant. Our co-diner's steak arrived medium rare when she asked for medium well. For $31, I think the kitchen could pay attention to the orders a little closer.
- Birthday ladygoldenoldie67Dined on 9/20/2014Wonderful night with family for my 65th Birthday. Waiter was wonderful because he took special care of us for my birthday and because my husband needed a special no salt fare. He was very careful and entertaining at the same time! The food was superb. A special and memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is consistently very goodLucyDined on 9/20/2014I've never had a bad meal. Food is always very good with solid service. Love the steaks and the crab cakes. My only disappointment was the number of people there in shorts and a t-shirt. The restaurant is comfortable but not that casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WinnerBillDined on 9/20/2014J. Gilbert's is a favorite because they are predictable. Always great food, superb service and wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- Anniversary treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great service started from the second we entered the front door. We did't have to ask for anything because our waiter was "on top" of our every need. The food was exquisite and I/we felt that the food was a "love tap" for our tummies:-) and then there was the dessert - out of this world. I used to own 2 chocolate factories and I can honestly say that your dessert as well as the main course were world class. Hat's off to all of your team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining room chairs are very lowNapasteveVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went as two couples. The other couple sat in the booth and we sat in chairs opposite them. The chairs were so low that the table was almost up to my armpits.
- richcavallaroVIPDined on 9/20/2014Gets my vote for the best steak in the city. The Prix-Fixe menu is a good deal and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Steak Cooked to PerfectionLive2EatDined on 9/18/2014This was our second time to eat here. We enjoyed both times. Steak has been done perfectly each time. They are very willing to accommodate substitutions on the sides, which is nice. The service was excellent on both visits. Sides are unremarkable, but creme brulee erased that from our minds and our palates. They have a great wine list and a fair number of wines by the glass. My husband enjoyed the beer selections.Special Features:
- remains consistent...eatsoutlotsDined on 9/14/2014Waitress said they are known for their steaks, but quick to add seafood... not sure of sustainability factor for any of the dishes. Three generations, and all found something to order- many of us took food home. Sadly the tortilla soup (really? in a steak restaurant) did not please my husband. All a bit pricey but that seems to be the norm for many of the local steak and seafood restaurants. We had to ask for the AC to be turned off as it was blowing directly down on our table, and even my daughter commented on the dim lighting. It may be showing its age now. I made the reservation via OpenTable, and commented that we were celebrating- yet no one asked nor acknowledged this. The front desk seemed to be in the middle of something...Special Features:
- An awesome romantic dinnerScooter53200Dined on 9/13/2014The manager and our waitress made our anniversary dinner an awesome and wonderful experience. We both agreed we will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there--TenPenneyDined on 9/13/2014Even though J Gilbert's has a great reputation and was recommended by friends, this was our first visit. Our food was great! The steaks were so flavorful and the crab cakes were filled with large lumps of crabmeat. The service was very pleasant and capable. I really liked the lighting, it added to the feel of private, intimate dining even though the restaurant was busy. We could easily carry on our conversation as could those around us. This is really a great place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarrDineVIPDined on 9/13/2014Good dinner and evening, except too loud - particularly with group playing in bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversaryLhornepoppDined on 9/12/2014When I booked the reservation, I asked for a quiet spot to celebrate my anniversary. Not only did they give us a secluded booth, they gave us a very nice card to celebrate our special day. The service was excellent and the steak was amazing. My picky husband couldn't get over how good everything was, and I was so very pleased to have a good first experience there. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Always FabulousjukaanDined on 9/12/2014We come here every year for our anniversary. We have never been disappointed. The service is second to none. The food is perfectly seasoned. You have to try the coconut cake with the pineapple ice cream. It is to die for!Special Features:
- Great Steaks in the suburbsjwgfoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014We went to J. Gilbert's based on a recommendation from another party. We were told the suburbs offer great steaks too. We went and we were impressed. The quality of the beef and the preparation of the food was very good. Nothing to hold back from, no caviats . . . this was not only a good but a great meal. We did not have dessert as the portions were large enough to not allow that but everything we tried was very good. highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014We always enjoy eating at your restaurant. Service is always good, and the food is great. Well prepared and nicely presented.Special Features:
- Disappointment over One of my FavsBoobooVIPDined on 9/5/2014The past 2 times we have eaten here,the service has been poor, the food not prepared correctly, and a huge disappointment. Something has changed here, and it is no longer on my favorites list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful food and service, as usual. I tried the Grouper and found it delicious, light and flakey and wonderfully sauced. We celebrated a birthday--had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014This was our first dining experience at J. Gilbert's. When we got there, we were immediately taken to a table and it was very noisy and it was one of those table/booths where people are sitting not too far from you (the long booth on one side and table on the other). Because we don't get to go out much, I requested a smaller, more intimate booth and we were quickly accommodated. I received a handwritten birthday card and I was also given free dessert of my choice. Our server was outstanding and she recommended great wine. The poblano au gratin potatoes are perhaps the best side I've ever had. Definitely get those! Overall, it was a great experience!Special Features:
- Great Wood Fired FoodNettBill1Dined on 8/31/2014The only difficulty was choosing a menu item. Every menu item sound awesome. I offered the scallops and wedge salad. Both were terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.