J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
Overland Park, KS 66212Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?825
- Phone: 9136428070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4PM-10PM | Friday & Saturday 4PM-10:30PM | Sunday 4PM-9PM.
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ruben Rosales
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday - Saturday: Live Music in the lounge from 6:00 - 9:00pm
- Special Events: Happy hour food and drink specials: SUNDAY – FRIDAY | 4pm - 6:30pm | BAR ONLY.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week and lunch banquets. Reservations are recommendedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park - Best Restaurants in Overland Park ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
293 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (219)romantic (173)notable wine list (110)neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (86)good for groups (66)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- remains consistent...eatsoutlotsDined on 9/14/2014Waitress said they are known for their steaks, but quick to add seafood... not sure of sustainability factor for any of the dishes. Three generations, and all found something to order- many of us took food home. Sadly the tortilla soup (really? in a steak restaurant) did not please my husband. All a bit pricey but that seems to be the norm for many of the local steak and seafood restaurants. We had to ask for the AC to be turned off as it was blowing directly down on our table, and even my daughter commented on the dim lighting. It may be showing its age now. I made the reservation via OpenTable, and commented that we were celebrating- yet no one asked nor acknowledged this. The front desk seemed to be in the middle of something...Special Features:
- An awesome romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014The manager and our waitress made our anniversary dinner an awesome and wonderful experience. We both agreed we will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there--OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Even though J Gilbert's has a great reputation and was recommended by friends, this was our first visit. Our food was great! The steaks were so flavorful and the crab cakes were filled with large lumps of crabmeat. The service was very pleasant and capable. I really liked the lighting, it added to the feel of private, intimate dining even though the restaurant was busy. We could easily carry on our conversation as could those around us. This is really a great place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014Good dinner and evening, except too loud - particularly with group playing in bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversaryLhornepoppDined on 9/12/2014When I booked the reservation, I asked for a quiet spot to celebrate my anniversary. Not only did they give us a secluded booth, they gave us a very nice card to celebrate our special day. The service was excellent and the steak was amazing. My picky husband couldn't get over how good everything was, and I was so very pleased to have a good first experience there. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Always FabulousjukaanDined on 9/12/2014We come here every year for our anniversary. We have never been disappointed. The service is second to none. The food is perfectly seasoned. You have to try the coconut cake with the pineapple ice cream. It is to die for!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014We always enjoy eating at your restaurant. Service is always good, and the food is great. Well prepared and nicely presented.Special Features:
- Disappointment over One of my FavsBoobooVIPDined on 9/5/2014The past 2 times we have eaten here,the service has been poor, the food not prepared correctly, and a huge disappointment. Something has changed here, and it is no longer on my favorites list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful food and service, as usual. I tried the Grouper and found it delicious, light and flakey and wonderfully sauced. We celebrated a birthday--had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014This was our first dining experience at J. Gilbert's. When we got there, we were immediately taken to a table and it was very noisy and it was one of those table/booths where people are sitting not too far from you (the long booth on one side and table on the other). Because we don't get to go out much, I requested a smaller, more intimate booth and we were quickly accommodated. I received a handwritten birthday card and I was also given free dessert of my choice. Our server was outstanding and she recommended great wine. The poblano au gratin potatoes are perhaps the best side I've ever had. Definitely get those! Overall, it was a great experience!Special Features:
- Great Wood Fired FoodNettBill1Dined on 8/31/2014The only difficulty was choosing a menu item. Every menu item sound awesome. I offered the scallops and wedge salad. Both were terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for steak and ended up having grouper (the special) and scallops. Sundays are 1/2 price bottles of wine under $100, so we had a nice bottle of wine. Salads were good. The grouper was delicious as were the scallops. We split the coconut cake for dessert, and it was great. Service here is always polished and professional. A great selection of wine, including several selections by-the-glass. Parking is easy. It was Sunday so no live music from the bar, making the place a little quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placefriscogirl05Dined on 8/31/2014We loved the experience we had. The server was very nice and knowledgeable. The ambiance was very nice and for being our first time we rcvd a complimentary dessert. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VanceVIPDined on 8/31/2014One reason J. Gilbert's is a favorite for us is that I request a quiet booth because of a hearing problem and they always come through. That means as an older senior I can have a nice dinner conversation with fellow diners. There are several good restaurants I won't go to because they are too noisy. J. Gilbert's is an exception. At our last visit the sea bass was cooked just right and my wife's steak was, as always, medium rare as requested. Consider the wedge salad, it's crisp and the blue cheese and crumbles dressing set it off. R. Vance HallSpecial Features:
- Great DiningfinediningguruDined on 8/31/2014I have passed this restaurant for years and decided a few years ago to drop in and have enjoyed the atmosphere and menu a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoriteNeat1986VIPDined on 8/29/2014Every time I go there they exceed my expectations best steaks around!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatGreatDined on 8/28/2014We have enjoyed many dinners at J. Gilbert's over the years and are always pleased with the quality of the food and service. This is our go to place for dinning.Special Features:
- Very good experience.Oscar40Dined on 8/27/2014We had a really good time and the food was great!!Special Features:
- Business MeetingOPbizmtgDined on 8/26/2014I was going to be in Overland Park for a meeting with one of my top ten accounts. I did an internet search for a restaurant in that area and J Gilberts was at the top of that list. My customer agreed this was a good choice and we were not disappointed. The service was excellent, the food was fabulous-the filet with scallops was our selection and the cheesecake was delicious! The atmosphere was perfect for our meeting. I would definitely recommend J Gilberts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerMuncher1Dined on 8/26/2014Took my partner to his birthday dinner and they had followed my special requests with having my drinks ready. The food was ok as the steaks had some flavor but not a lot. My steak was over cooked but they fixed that in a matter of 2 min with a new one. I liked it and may come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Evening!MiMiDined on 8/25/2014Very warm, welcoming environment with a server who was efficient, fun and knowledgeable. Scallops were amazing, steaks done to perfection, pork chop delicious! We didn't feel rushed as we enjoyed conversation, dinner and drinks. Lovely eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding EveningButtonDined on 8/24/2014We visited J Gilberts for our wedding anniversary with our daughter and grandchildren. Our waitress was outstanding, the food was great and the grandchildren enjoyed the kid's menu. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- NewbykcfdDined on 8/23/2014Service and food were amazing!! Great steaks and the scallops are awesome (make sure to ask for the reduction sauce!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a satisfied customerblueakingDined on 8/23/2014Everytime my hubby and I go here I am never disappointed. We have eaten at a lot of places in KC and while there are quite a few contenders J. Gilberts will always be my favorite. The food is always on point, the drinks are great and the environment is romantic. No matter how many people we are around it just seems like it’s us two. I have never had bad service there ever. Best Cesar Salad hands down and I always compare my Caesar Salad! I would totally recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be.SorryDined on 8/23/2014It has been awhile since last time there. Ordered drinks at bar was not told they were pr-mixed cost $12 each and not good. Should have been told up front about drinks being pre-mixed. Food sounded good on menu however steak was very sad. No sear very thin 1/2" and was told that the rib-eye "cowboy cut" was there best. If you go to a steak house you expect a steak. Certainly something more substantial for more than $40.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I visited J.Gilbert's for my girlfriends birthday. The food was great and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperienceEricDined on 8/22/2014Over the years I can rely on the fact that J Giberts will surpass my dinning expectations without breaking the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulous J. Gilbert'sLoloDined on 8/21/2014Great food and exemplary service! Every time. Perfect for a special occasion or a weeknight out. Love, love, love the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in YearsDCB1Dined on 8/20/2014Our 33rd anniversary dinner was the best ever. J. Gilbert's is truly as good a steak as any of the top rated steakhouses in the US. My wife and I enjoy trying out the highest rated steakhouses throughout the US. J. Gilbert's is in our top two favorite. Outstanding steak and wine list to match!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place To CelebrateMeredithDined on 8/20/2014The filet was so tender it was like eating butter. The taste was great, too. We ordered from the menu that included the salad, entree, and dessert. If you love good food this is the place to eat. If you love a nice place to celebrate a special occasion this is the place. Kathy was an excellent server and that combined with the excellent meal made my birthday celebration one I will always remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeprimussDined on 8/16/2014I took my girl there on the recommendation of my boss since we were in Kansas City for a night. Was not disappointed. I was very glad we made a reservation as there was over an hour wait for walk ins. Service was great, food was great. All in all a very pleasant experience. The even dropped off a card at the table welcoming us for our first visit.Special Features:
- Good place for couplesFishinrichyDined on 8/16/2014I took my wife out for dinner and enjoyed ourselves very much. We were seated in the main dining room where the lighting was calming but not too low. We could hear just enough of the live music from the bar to enjoy. Unfortunately we had to point out to the server the birthday certificate J Gilbert's sent us was not applied to our check. He corrected it in short order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grandma6Dined on 8/16/2014One of our favorite restaurant's who is consistent with it's food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BEST in KCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood in Overland Park, is one of the best restaurants in KC. Our party of 6 had a memorable and enjoyable evening. We'll go back soon !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experience.SlamminVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is our third time to visit J. Gilberts. The first time we had a bad experience but the last two visits have been very good and most probably representative of the quality of service and food that J. Gilberts puts out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as othersmemyselfandiVIPDined on 8/14/2014Went to J Gilbert's for the steak. I didn't think it was worth the price. Other places we get steaks are better and less expensive. Probably won't return.
- disappointeddisappointedDined on 8/14/2014Although the food, service, etc. were excellent, I was disappointed that I was not given the $25 off for the birthday special. I am sure the waitress knew it was a birthday for she brought a candle on his cake. I didn't say anything at the time because we were with special guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeDined on 8/14/2014Food is delicious; price is in high range; lighting is dark.Special Features:
- FoodMeatLoverDined on 8/13/2014We go to J Gilberts for special occassions and normally have a great experience with food. Not sure if they have a new chef but everything was OVER SALTED............all you could taste was salt.Special Features:
- sad anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I was expecting, from the ratings a great experience, but that is not what we got...In general we would not come again. I was attempting to maintain the anniversary vibe and not complain, so we finished up and moved on...learned our lesson.