J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
6930 Old Dominion Drive
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?823
- Phone: 7038931034
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Frank Casper
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Happy hour: Sunday - Friday, 4pm - 7pm bar only.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Carrot Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for weekend lunch, dinner 7 days a week & Sunday Brunch. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean - Best Restaurants in McLean ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean reviews from OpenTable diners
379 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (199)special occasion (195)great for lunch (129)good for groups (129)fit for foodies (125)romantic (111)great for brunch (88)notable wine list (80)vibrant bar scene (75)kid-friendly (44)hot spot (36)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good lunch spot in McLeandinerDined on 10/27/2014We had a reservation and were greeted warmly and seated promptly. My friends ordered the Steak & Wedge Salad and the Buffalo Bleu Salad; I ordered the Jumbo Lump Crabmelt. The salads were attractive and the portions were large. The Crabmelt, however, was underwhelming - little more than a small grilled cheese sandwich with a smashed crab cake in it. Good ice tea but refills require a whole new glass - refills by pitcher would be my preference. We were seated in a side room that holds two 6-tops. The conversation at the other table filled the small room so that we had to raise our voices to be heard, but the main room seemed loud as well. The service was attentive and pleasant. We will be back. I would like to try the Lobster Cobb Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014It was the best steak I've had in the D.C. Area. The whole experience was well worth the price. I especially liked it because one could carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- We're RegularsDwightBDined on 10/26/2014This is one of our favorites because the food and service is always good and dependable. If we have out of town guests, we know they will not be disappointed with the choice of restaurants if we choose J Gilbert's.Special Features:
- Loved itHDFHTBOYDined on 10/25/2014We got to sit by the fireplace and it was very nice. Steaks came out perfect for everyone and my wife loved her Salmon. Will be back.Special Features:
- Good Food - Service AverageRamiDined on 10/25/2014The food here is reliably OK. Steak was good. Potatoes were average. With respect to service, this restaurant suffers from a usual problem. If one does not order alcohol, one does not receive first-rate service.
- picky familyPickyfamilyDined on 10/25/2014in my family of picky eaters, we all LOVE J. Gilbert's. the service is outstanding and the prices are reasonable considering the quality, presentation and service. we return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Went here on a Friday night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I loved the dim lighting, which set the tone for our romantic date. The food was delicious, but I will say the crab cake that came with my filet mignon was small. It was just enough for me, but a grown man would have been disappointed with the portion size. The service was great. They happily adjusted our reservation when we called to say we were running late and they gave us a complimentary slice of cake to celebrate our anniversary! Overall, it was a good choice of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Chose this restaurant because the parking lot is always packed-from opening until closing every day. Plus, it's locally owned. With all of those cars, all of the time, it just had to be great. And it was. Service was wonderful as well and prices were moderate. Make sure you go with a reservation. We were seated right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filet is Excellent!TJaxDined on 10/24/2014The filet with truffle butter was so delicious. The scallops were small, but each bite was good. Also, the drinks are strong and good. No complaints.Special Features:
- A bit offAloeDined on 10/23/2014Normally a great evening, waited endlessly for food, seems it got lost in the fog somewhere, eventually after kitchen flurry, brought out by a manager with a few bucks off the bill. As I said normally its a great evening.Special Features:
- For McLean, Very Good41142hltVIPDined on 10/22/2014As McLean restaurants go, J Gilbert's is the most consistent and reliable. The addition of the new biscuits as the complimentary bread plate was an outstanding move. The maple glazed salmon is terrific, as is the French dip at lunch time. McLean restaurants as a rule are awful; J Gilbert's is the best of a very less than mediocre restaurant scene. You cannot go wrong at lunch time, and dinner is as good as you'll find in McLean. Of course, that's like saying you are the best looking guy at Fat Camp.Special Features:
- Consistently excellent!PatriciaDined on 10/19/2014We have gone to several restaurants in the northern virginia area in search of a good brunch and J. Gilbert's is by far the best around. The selection is amazing, the food is always delicious, and the service is outstanding. The omelet station and fresh seafood are some of our favorites. To top of the experience, don't forget the hot Belgium waffles served to your table. It WILL be the best brunch you've ever had.Special Features:
- Another very good visitGlobetrotDined on 10/14/2014We had another very good visit to J. Gilberts Tuesday Night. Party of 4 with dietary restrictions and special requests...all accommodated well. We go regularly and will continue to do so because for the quality and value its better than any other options in McLean.Special Features:
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/14/2014Food and service are good, but no place to park and had to shout to be heard.
- First time at J.Gilbert's for lunchNikkyDined on 10/13/2014Service was only okay, however it could be a bit better. Also the restaurant could think about renovating since the locale shows some wear and tear over the years. In Mclean there are few options for lunch so it could be a good place for more upscale dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Bone-in FiletCiaoBellaVIPDined on 10/12/2014Gilberts is a great neighbourhood spot that is always busy. Their wood-fired steaks and seafood are especially good and of high quality. We had the bone-in Filet Mignon, medium rare. It was a 10 oz, I believe, extremely tender and quite delicious. The service was attentive as well. The wedge salad and the Maytag Chips also are worthy of note.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant and Awesome food.DCDinerDined on 10/12/2014If you are looking for a great Sunday brunch buffet, you should definitely try J. Gilbert's. The service is great. The staff friendly and attentive. The food on the buffet is so good! The usual buffet choices but so much more like the "grilled salmon", "Lobster Mac-n-cheese or "Seared tuna". Awesome buffet for a reasonable price! Try J. Gilbert's brunch - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great BrunchFoodiefromarlingtonDined on 10/12/2014I have been to this brunch several times. I brought along three friend who had never been before. They were impressed and loved the food choices -- especially the oysters! Food is always amazing and great service.Special Features:
- Ho humirishmommaDined on 10/12/2014We were looking for someplace really memorable to celebrate our daughter's engagement. The brunch spread was generous, true, but the place was neither intimately dark nor cheerfully bright; it was noisy, and just generally lacked charm. The desserts were very good, but otherwise the food wasn't remarkable. For a routine brunch, it would be fine, but we had been hoping for something special.
- Pretty goodSeanZVIPDined on 10/11/2014I have eaten here several times and I love the appetizers and sides. However, I'm always left a little disappointed with the steaks. The filet should be super tender, not chewy at all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD AND THE QUANTITY OF THE SERVINGS WAS EVEN BETTER. THE MEMBERS OF MY GROUP WERE ESPECIALLY PLEASED WITH THE BISCUITS AND SALMON.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GilbertsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014As usual the meal and service at Gilberts was wonderful. However, the management needs to bring the sour dough bread.
- The place to beRMilesVIPDined on 10/10/2014If you want to be a part of McLean, you have to go to "gilbert's". The food is really good too. The bartenders are the best and you might get to see Jason Werth or Adam Laroche now and then.Special Features:
- A fare to rememberclaimsteaker359Dined on 10/8/2014Our food was perfectly seasoned. Our fillets were cooked to a perfect medium rare. Their wild mushroom risoto was delightful. The food was great, but the service was better. Our host and waitress made celebrating a birthday special. J. Gilberts is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was great but...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2014Room was extremely noisy. Multiple large parties all talking at high volume. It became so loud at dinners end that we had difficulty talking (and hearing) at our table.Special Features:
- One of the best experiencesRidge123VIPDined on 10/6/2014I dine at J. Gilbert's at least once a month and this is the best experience in a long time. The service was exceptional and the fresh fish, blackened salmon, was excellent!Special Features:
- The neighborhood "Go To Place!"toompie58Dined on 10/6/2014I, nor my family, have ever been disappointed. If there ever is a glitch, J. Gilbert's management or staff will correct it on the spot. Everyone we have introduced it to have gone back--even from MD or DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerempriDined on 10/5/2014Service was wonderful and the food was delicious. Came here to celebrate my girlfriend's father's birthday. Was not disappointed in the slightest. The waiter was very attentive. Overall a fantastic dining experience. Will definitely be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014It was a very nice resturant my husband and I would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSoho6102Dined on 10/4/2014This was my first visit to this restaurant after reading many good reviews here and other sites. I was expecting to have trouble finding parking on a Saturday night but I was able to find a parking spot right in front of the door. Once inside, the décor was nice and I could immediately smell great food. Once seated, hot cheddar biscuits with maple butter came to the table and they were very good. I ordered the blue cheese chips, they were good but lacked the strong blue cheese flavor I love. I went with the pre-fix order wedge salad, filet, potatoes, asparagus and I took home by slice of coconut cake. Everything was very good, perfectly cooked and the service was excellent. I can't wait to go back to this place.Special Features:
- When we need a special meal...MikeDined on 10/4/2014...this is where we go. We enjoy the ambiance, appreciate the good service, and especially savor the wonderful food. It is a 45 minute drive for us to go to J. Gilbert's; perhaps that suggests how much we enjoy it. It is not inexpensive, but I think one gets good value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014consistently good. solid menu at reasonable prices. reasonable drink sizes and food portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Popular RestaurantLu2dineVIPDined on 10/3/2014We had ther occasion to dine with friends and found the dining experience excellent. Our server was very knowledgeable and the food was wonderful-particularly the Creme Brulee. We chose the prixe fixe menu and were impressed with the course selections that option offers.Special Features:
- Great RestaursntGastronomeDined on 9/30/2014We were in the area & looking for a great steak place. Reviews were great, so we made a reservation. Not at all disappointed. Waiter was excellent, provided wonderful service. Food superb!! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodGoodvisitVIPDined on 9/28/2014We love the food at J Gilberts. While they are known for their steaks, the crab cakes are the best. We were celebrating a birthday, and J Gilberts made the celebration special.Special Features:
- AwesomeleneDined on 9/28/2014Had a wonderful time. Fourth time in restaurant however first time for brunch. Great selection of food and very tasty. Waiter was absolutely wonderful. His name was Ryan and will definitely ask for him next time. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSherryDined on 9/28/2014OpenTable is user-friendly and efficient; I have used it for years without any issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Birthday Celebration Favorite!Number1inMcLeanVIPDined on 9/26/2014Been coming here for years - always our favorite destination to celebrate birthdays and other occasions!Special Features:
- Consistently goodMoeyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Haven't been in a while but each time the food and service are good. Pre-fix menus are economical and portions are sizable. Nice atmosphere and can still talk to people at the other end of a six top without yelling. The creamed corn with bacon was excellent.Special Features:
- Good standbywaltVIPDined on 9/23/2014This restaurant is close to home and is one of a few sit down restaurants in McLean so we frequent it often. I've always felt while the food is good, it isn't great and is a bit overpriced. Lately it's taken some time for dishes to come out; just long enough for you to wonder 'hey, where's our food'. They've recently switched from sourdough bread to biscuits which are good but a bit too heavy for a pre-dinner nibble and are a bit peppery which can effect your palette before your meal. I wish they'd leave salt & pepper on the tables. It's annoying to have to flag someone down, then wait for them to return as your food gets cold. I'm still very afraid of their soups which made me ill once but overall, I think the food is very good.Special Features: