J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
6930 Old Dominion Drive
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?823
- Phone: 7038931034
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Frank Casper
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Happy hour: Sunday - Friday, 4pm - 7pm bar only.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Carrot Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for weekend lunch, dinner 7 days a week & Sunday Brunch. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean - Best Restaurants in McLean ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean reviews from OpenTable diners
351 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (199)neighborhood gem (171)great for lunch (124)fit for foodies (117)good for groups (111)romantic (105)great for brunch (93)notable wine list (83)vibrant bar scene (60)kid-friendly (40)hot spot (30)late-night find (9)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very nice and close to homeMSantosVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you'd rather not trek into the city this is a great local spot for a fantastic quality steak. The service was top notch, the food was great. We did the restaurant week menu and enjoyed the blue cheese dressed wedge, the 6 oz fillet and the creme brûlée. Although the dessert was very generous they could take two ramekins worth or dessert and have enough for three. In fact at the end of dinner, my thought was why in the works would they serve portions so large that very few could finish? They're throwing away a lot of money as the dessert was expensive to make, cream, egg yolks, butter, sugar, real vanilla beans! So I'm left with I can easily order one creme brûlée to share next time. Mostly older population dined on the night we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014J. Gilbert's is that rare gem that consistently has extraordinary food *and* extraordinary service. I've eaten there three times, and each time is as wonderful an experience as the last. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- First time at J GilbertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Amazing food the king crab legs were delicious signature steak sauce top noche.. My kids have already decided they want to have their bday dinner hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience.Ridge123VIPDined on 8/21/2014J. Gilbert's is an amazing restaurant, with spectacular food and service to match. We had a picky eater in our party and they cooked the meal to exact specifications.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurant week lunchGmmGDined on 8/21/2014We had a great meal and the wait staff is always just perfect. This is a fantastic neighborhood treasure and we love going there. Be sure to make reservations as it can be very busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing4mercatererDined on 8/20/2014Food was OK and "highly" seasoned, lacked presentation, restaurant was noisy, and wait staff was more interested in turning over the table than our dining experience. If that is the way you like to spend your money, go for it; however, there are too many good restaurants for me to spend another dime at this establishment. Not the least bit impressed!
- no reservation!houndDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant did not have our reservation. Fortunately we were able to find a table in the crowded restaurant. First time this has happened to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite go-to spot for a birthdayLauraDined on 8/18/2014Service is awesome! I called ahead to tell them it was my husband's birthday. When our waitress greeted us she wished him a happy birthday. Good touch! We go there every year at his request. Sit by the fireplace (even if it isn't on) The lobster mac & cheese is awesome. We ate the crab cake appetizer (very good) and a steak. The cheese cake was excellent. This restaurant is should be visited more often than just a birthday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Our group greatly enjoyed the brunch. We had a roomy comfortable table and enjoyed the wide selection of items on the brunch bar. We did find that items like fruit and selected seafood items ran out quickly but we felt relaxed and not rushed and could easily wait till the item was replenished.Special Features:
- J Gilberts for BrunchangiejacksDined on 8/17/2014I have been here a couple of times for brunch and dinner. They have a great menu and many selections to choose from. I will say they need to enhance their sirloin and omelette station as it was one person doing both and he even had to go back and get more food when it ran out. The food was good, but it has been better. I'm hoping this was an off day.Special Features:
- Luv2BrunchDined on 8/16/2014Even with restaurant week , the service did not falter. The food was fantastic. Starting with the biscuits served with fresh whipped butter and maple syrup. Then the 6oz filet that just melts in your mouth! The cheesecake was equally delicious with its mix of creamy cheesecake and a small layer of the lightest vanilla cake. Fabulous! Can't wait to go again. (Request Ralph to be your waiter. )I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fine diningchaz2010Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent spot to take my wife to dinner for her birthday. We all thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the ambiance.Special Features:
- Long-Time FavoriteJoanJimDined on 8/16/2014We've gone to J. Gilbert's for years for special occasions -- birthdays, anniversaries, etc. But now we're going more often because we enjoy it so much. The prices, considering the quality, are reasonable, and the food is superb. We're already looking forward to our next visit later this month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Steak LunchWashingtonianDined on 8/16/2014My family went to this restaurant during the DC Restaurant Week. Everything we ordered was PERFECT. We couldn't find anything wrong with our food. Our kids had their favorites, crab cakes and lobster mac and cheese. They both claimed that those were the best they had ever had. My husband and I had steak and frites. The steak was unbelievably juicy and tender. After talking with our waiter, we learned that the steak was wet-aged for 21 days and grilled with mesquite wood. From appetizer to dessert, the portions were VERY generous! This is now our favorite steakhouse in Northern Virginia.Special Features:
- s, anbaileyDined on 8/15/2014Nice but not particularly memorable. Best was the filet mignon and hamburger. The other dishes. New York strip, crab cakes, scallops were decent but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Amazing for resturant weekLuv2eatGoodFoodDined on 8/14/2014Fabulous menu- great restaurant- wonderful staff- exceptional service- Seafood was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Fabulous RestaurantDaBestDined on 8/14/2014J.Gilbert's is one of the best restaurant's that I have dined. My experience was absolutely awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014We visited during Restaurant Week. Unlike other restaurants we've visited during that promotion, J. Gilbert's did not skimp on the selection or on the size of the entrees. My filet was outstanding. My husband loved his pork chop, which was huge! Our server was attentive without being intrusive. We will go back!Special Features:
- Excellent MealsusuDined on 8/14/2014We went for restaurant week and added a couple of extras. The wedge salad was excellent, vegies cooked to perfection and the steak was one of the best I ever had. Will go again and won't wait for Restaurant week..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality experienceSnickersVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food is always good. the new biscuits are a nice touch. some new appetizers would be nice - and a bit more variety in the salads. this is a quiet restaurant - which is very very nice!Special Features:
- Never Disappointing!StuffedafterdinnerDined on 8/14/2014I ate lunch there for the first time, as we have always done dinner. It was just as wonderful an experience! Thanks again!Special Features:
- Great Local Restaurantpjhil1Dined on 8/14/2014The food was excellent and I would have rated the service 5 stars, but sent our steak back twice to get it to medium well (yes - I know you are not supposed to eat good steak that well done and the chef was probably testing our willingness to eat it as he thought we should). The manager comped our meals even though we didn't actually complain or ask and service was really great. In the end the steaks were great as always. The crab cakes have plenty of real crab, not mostly filler. Hearty, flavorful potato soup, delicious bisquits, salads and desserts as well. Great private rooms for larger groups - reserve ahead.Special Features:
- From great to goodGlobetrotDined on 8/13/2014Had a party of six in from work. Typical crowd on a Wednesday. Robust lively food was great ambience was very good. Took 35 minutes to get a dinner order Buy one hour we had our food. Food was great. Service was only good tonight. Was one of those nights the entire party felt as if we needed to"catch the waiter when you can otherwise it will be a long wait".Special Features:
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014This was our first visit to J Gilbert's after many years of passing it and saying we would try it. The steaks were great probably the best we have had in this area.Special Features:
- Met expectationdisappointedDined on 8/13/2014I like the place and would eat there again. I am picky but loved the food and the service. We were five in the group and we all loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodtkw1Dined on 8/13/2014We have lunch here on a fairly regular basis...always great food. Highly recommend trying!!Special Features:
- Great Experience!ConeguyDined on 8/12/2014While this was my second trip to J. Gilbert's, it had been about 5 years since my last visit. Menu selection was slightly limited, but this is certainly not a bad sign, as restaurants that specialize in fewer selected entrees are often able to control the quality better. The place was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday night, but it is in an ideal location in the center of McLean. The parking lot was full, but ample free parking was available across the street in a garage. The service was outstanding, and the food quality was certainly in the upper 20% of restaurants I've experienced in this area. The prices are a little high, in my opinion, but, again, this is the middle of affluent McLean. We'll be back for special occasions.Special Features:
- No Sour Dough BreadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014For those familiar, J. Gilbert's use to serve a fresh hot loaf of Sour Dough Bread with two kinds of butter. Apparently they had distribution problems and a month ago switched to "cheddar peppercorn biscuits with a maple syrup drizzled whipped butter". If you like the taste a pepper, then you'll like these biscuits. I for one do not like them at all and want the Sour Dough Bread returned! This still continues to be one of our favorite restaurants. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AliceandralphDined on 8/10/2014This was my boyfriends first visit to J Gilberts. He was very impressed with the professionalism of the waiter, the quality of the food and service. He thought it was a very inviting atmosphere. I have been several times and the food is always consistently good. I always get the pri-fix dinner with the 4 oz steak and alternate with the seafood. This time I had the crab cake which was outstanding. The pre-dinner gin and tonics were very good and the carafe of wine was delicious. Of course the dessert wasn't supreme!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable steak and seafood houseElsieCAVIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is consistently good. It's not adventurous gourmet food, but has a nice variety. I really like the prix fixe option, which allows the diner to adjust the quantity of food desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer offer the great breadBillBillDined on 8/9/2014Everything was excellent except they have stopped serving the marvelous bread offered for years -- nay, decades -- at this location and have substituted a restaurant-made cheese and herb biscuit that reminds one of similar offerings found in chain restaurants (that shall remain un-named). The service was excellent, even to the point of explaining the absence of the great bread of yore.
- Consistently The BestBEEGEE5VIPDined on 8/8/2014Best scallops, salad, cocoanut cake and ice cream ever. . Never cease to be amazed at both the food and the atmosphere. Small window per that the parking lot always seems full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J Gilbert'sFoodsnobDined on 8/6/2014Great place to dine. Have only been for lunch and the times have been excellent. I don't like the overhead lighting. Too bright, feels like you are under a very bright spotlight. Parking an issue as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McClean's business stopHarrisonDuckworthDined on 8/4/2014As you may gather from the title, J Gilbert's caters to the business community for weekday lunches. Although a good spot for dinner, it is a somewhat dated establishment. That said it has a subtle ambiance and is conservative in its decor, although a bit bit dark. Perhaps it is appropriate for it's clientele. I can recommend the bread and the "power lunch" for a quick stop. Steaks are a given.Special Features:
- Always outstandingFamilyof3VIPDined on 8/3/2014We have been coming to J. Gilberts for many years and even with many new steak restaurants popping up, this is still our favorite. We always come back for the service, good steak and value! This was our daughters choice for her 13th birthday celebration this visit and it was so great even with a free dessert of her choice. Well done!Special Features:
- A great place to eat & return, niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014This place is a solid choice for American style food. You can healthy or go for the "carbs". Service is professional, menu represents good value. It's good for special occasions or just a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BiscuitsCiaoBellaVIPDined on 7/31/2014We enjoy the seafood at Gilberts. They always have great salmon dishes and a Fresh Fish of the Day. Cheesy Biscuits are a nice starter. Service was very attentive throughout, but it took forever to get the check.
- J. Gilberts, a Real GemMagnoliasDined on 7/29/2014Excellent food, great service and a place I'll come over and over again.Special Features:
- too noisybeaches4meDined on 7/29/2014the food was ok, the service was outstanding. the noise level was unbearable. couldn't hear across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Home Run!NOVAFoodieDined on 7/27/2014I had been seeing this restaurant for years and finally tried it out about a year ago. I was impressed. I returned there again this year for brunch and totally agree this restaurant knows how to do brunch and mainly service. David, our server was awesome as before, making suggestions for drinks, teas and food. He has been at J. Gilbert's for close to 30 years so that says a lot about the restaurant itself. From the beverages to the meal to the service - another home run for J. Gilbert's!Special Features: