J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
6930 Old Dominion Drive
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?823
- Phone: 7038931034
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Frank Casper
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Happy hour: Sunday - Friday, 4pm - 7pm bar only.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Carrot Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for weekend lunch, dinner 7 days a week & Sunday Brunch. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean - Best Restaurants in McLean ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean reviews from OpenTable diners
365 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (200)neighborhood gem (186)great for lunch (131)good for groups (119)fit for foodies (118)romantic (110)great for brunch (87)notable wine list (86)vibrant bar scene (72)kid-friendly (39)hot spot (35)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistently wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014Great dinner again at J Gilbert's. As always, food was great - the specials are always interesting and tasty, service was respectful and efficient, and the atmosphere is always comfortable. We'll be back soon! Thank you.Special Features:
- Great Food!VinolovesteakDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I chose J. Gilbert's for our anniversary dinner, and boy were we impressed. The dark lit ambiance was beautiful, the wine was delicious, and the food was absolutely amazing. We both got the steak that was cooked perfectly, tender, and exactly how we ordered it. I got the crab cake, which was all crab and no filler. The lobster mac and cheese was my favorite addition to my meal. By far the best mac and cheese I've ever tasted at a restaurant. I paired this with a lovely Pinot Noir that went perfect with my steak and seafood. My only complaint was our waiter took quite a while to bring out each course. I think he had too many tables, which kept him from giving us the best service he could give. However, we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner SpotbeezNboxDined on 9/12/2014My fiance and I went here the other night with her parents. First and foremost the food was outstanding! we both went for the pre-fix menu which was very reasonably priced. My steak was perfectly cooked, as were her scallops. The desserts were delicious. I have nothing but great things to say about J. Gilberts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysBETSYVIPDined on 9/11/2014Thanks for a great meal, good service and saving the requested table. We split several items, the kitchen graciously accommodated us, it's really appreciated when the chefs spoil you like that. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great Steak and HHSImhungryDined on 9/10/2014I've gone here a few times now, and it never dissapoints. This time, I went on a Wednesday night, for a late dinner (8:30pm). I did not have a hard time reserving a seat. Food was delicious. Server was attentive, wish he spoke a little louder though. After dinner, we stayed and talked and they did not try to push us out, even though we were one of the last few guests left in the dining area, (again, probably because it was a Wednesday night). When leaving there were still a few people in the bar area. I will come back again.Special Features:
- Fantastic Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014J. Gilbert's is a great place for a quick lunch or a drawn out lunch for catching up with colleagues outside of the office or for catching up with a friend - Great ambiance, great and consistent food (love the cheddar biscuits!) and the service is fantastic (from the host stand to your waiter)! One of these days I'll make it here for a dinner, I'm sure it's going to be enjoyable!Special Features:
- Delish!MaggieDined on 9/9/2014Food was excellent and service was great! There were rave reviews at the table about the fried calamari, and the pretzel crusted onion rings. Of course, don't forget the signature martinis! Everyone in the group enjoyed their meals. I can only speak for the steak with ancho chili butter...YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceNovaGeneDined on 9/9/2014We went to J. Gilbert's for the first time last night for our anniversary. The food was outstanding and the service exceptional. From the time we walked in we were treated as special guests. I informed them it was our anniversary and the hostess and waiter both wished us a happy anniversary, which may not seem exceptional but was greatly appreciated. They went out of their way to make us feel special. That together with an excellent menu is what you expect from a restaurant of this caliber, and what we experienced.Special Features:
- PetrusDined on 9/9/2014We have been to J. Gilbert's on a number of occasions for lunch or dinner and it has been consistently very good. The food is fresh, well prepared (meat is cooked to order), and nicely presented. The portions are generous and the three course dinner prix fixe menu is a good deal. The service is good; we've always had attentive, helpful, and cheerful servers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/7/2014Another great meal at J. Gilberts. Our steaks were great, cooked to the requested temperature.Special Features:
- AwesomeTopNotchDiningDined on 9/6/2014The food is awesome! Always made right and delicious. One of the best restaurants around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Northern Virginia's bestDaleDined on 9/5/2014From the moment you walk into the door, J Gilbert's shines- always greeted immediately by friendly staff and seated in the restaurant's inviting dining areas. The food, on visit after visit, is excellent and beautifully prepared on the plate- Save room for desserts - the coconut cake is a special treat! The table service is always friendly and attentive. Finally for those looking for great cocktails and wine, it is a great spot for that as well with a vibrant bar scene ! J Gilbert's brings the dining experience to the all star level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for steakFamilyof3VIPDined on 9/5/2014We LOVE J. Gilberts and visit frequently and especially for special occasions. We brought family here this time and they raved about it all weekend. Our waiter, Greg, was amazing! The steak is absolutely perfect as is all of their salads and sides. Never disappoints!Special Features:
- Count on itpaokansasVIPDined on 9/4/2014J Gilbert's features a lunch combo that is a terrific buy and very good food, also. I've had the chicken tortilla soup several times and it is hearty and excellent, followed by a crab melt sandwich. What a good deal! The waiter was attentive, flexible and knowledgeable. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014I always enjoyed lunch at Gilberts but on this occasion I was disappointed. I ordered the Lobster Cobb Salad and it was not to be liking at all. The lobster pieces were rubbery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled vegetable platterPeggyMVIPDined on 9/3/2014A few months ago, our waiter suggested we split the grilled veggie platter in lieu of a salad. It is fabulous! Couple that with a couple of sliders or a crabcake and wow is that a great lunch! If there is a negative it is that it is very dark in there. The positive is that i always feel like I can have a conversation in there without involving the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/3/2014Great as usual!! Good food, good service front and back, good place to meet.Special Features:
- Noisysp11Dined on 9/1/2014The food was very good and the service was quite good although it was occasionally hard to understand the waiter. The noise level was very bad. I understand there are quieter parts to the restaurant.
- Coconut CakeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014We love this!! We also love scallops, shrimps, and filet. We also like the wedge salad and crab soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Fave!IzzyVIPDined on 9/1/2014J.Gilbert's is so perfect for any occasion. The staff is wonderful,efficient and welcoming. The food is simply delicious every time! We frequent this restaurant because it really is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome lunchVisitorVIPDined on 9/1/2014My friend and I met a J. Gilbert's to catch up over lunch. I love to try new menu items but I keep going back to the salad with grilled salmon because it is such an excellent mix of flavors. My friend has many food allergies and the chef is always willing to make accommodations to give her a flavorful meal without worries of allergic reactions. Also, the biscuits are delicious and I love that the chef shares the recipe. We just love the ambiance and the opportunity to chat without having to yell across the table. J. Gilbert's offers a lovely atmosphere. Check it out; you'll definitely go back for more memorable meals and dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for those with allergies!Jfm3691Dined on 8/31/2014Had an excellent experience at J. Gilbert's this past weekend. The server was attentive but not overbearing. Also, I found the server to be very understanding of my food allergies, so I felt very comfortable. The food was delicious! Can't wait to come back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentNickTheBrokerDined on 8/30/2014Always consistent is the best way to describe J. Gilberts. We visit often and we have never been disappointed. The new biscuits are AWESOME and a huge improvement from the sourdough bread. Ali was an excellent waiter and we continue to be happy visiting this McLean gem.Special Features:
- Mixed. . .BrianJBDined on 8/30/2014Took advantage of a coupon . . .overall, not bad but was expecting better. Setting is nice, table was the one nearest to the entrance but still fairly well shielded. Service also pretty good. . .drinks just OK (I make a better G&T). Food also mixed - truffle mushrooms and crab cake were very good, rest just OK (small fillet not cooked particularly well, veal chop pretty decent). For the price, however, would probably stick with one of the larger steakhouse options in the area.Special Features:
- One of our FavoritesBocaVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is our local go-to restaurant. The food is consistently good, prepared just the way you ask, and of high quality. The service is always concerned without being overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious steaksmcldinerDined on 8/29/2014This place has great service and the food is always wonderful. My husband and I both got Kansas City strips and they cooked them the perfect medium and medium rare as ordered. We also got their very tasty wedge salad and the sides were great, husband loved the lobster mac and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favsbrendaVIPDined on 8/29/2014We often go to J Gilberts for brunch, which is unbelievable! However, we chose to go for a nice dinner, & not only was the food wonderful, but the waiter, Bill, was outrageous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyDined on 8/29/2014A long-time favorite of my husband, friends, and I. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Friday night dinnerPickyfamilyDined on 8/29/2014Our family includes one teenage meat/potatoes guy, one vegetarian and one weight-watcher. J. Gilberts was the perfect choice! We have lived here for 25 years & on a whim finally went on a Friday night. The steak, fresh swordfish, and "sides" chosen by the vegetarian were all exactly what we wanted: Well-prepared, tasty & presented nicely. I loved the creme brûlée. Bill our server was the Very BEST. can't wait to go back. PS we went at 6 pm since we heard it gets busy/noisy later on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice and close to homeMSantosVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you'd rather not trek into the city this is a great local spot for a fantastic quality steak. The service was top notch, the food was great. We did the restaurant week menu and enjoyed the blue cheese dressed wedge, the 6 oz fillet and the creme brûlée. Although the dessert was very generous they could take two ramekins worth or dessert and have enough for three. In fact at the end of dinner, my thought was why in the works would they serve portions so large that very few could finish? They're throwing away a lot of money as the dessert was expensive to make, cream, egg yolks, butter, sugar, real vanilla beans! So I'm left with I can easily order one creme brûlée to share next time. Mostly older population dined on the night we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014J. Gilbert's is that rare gem that consistently has extraordinary food *and* extraordinary service. I've eaten there three times, and each time is as wonderful an experience as the last. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- First time at J GilbertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Amazing food the king crab legs were delicious signature steak sauce top noche.. My kids have already decided they want to have their bday dinner hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience.Ridge123VIPDined on 8/21/2014J. Gilbert's is an amazing restaurant, with spectacular food and service to match. We had a picky eater in our party and they cooked the meal to exact specifications.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurant week lunchGmmGDined on 8/21/2014We had a great meal and the wait staff is always just perfect. This is a fantastic neighborhood treasure and we love going there. Be sure to make reservations as it can be very busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Local SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2014J Gilbert's is a nice, quaint local restaurant that offers good food. The service was good but not excellent. Daily specials and they participate in Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Disappointing4mercatererDined on 8/20/2014Food was OK and "highly" seasoned, lacked presentation, restaurant was noisy, and wait staff was more interested in turning over the table than our dining experience. If that is the way you like to spend your money, go for it; however, there are too many good restaurants for me to spend another dime at this establishment. Not the least bit impressed!
- no reservation!houndDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant did not have our reservation. Fortunately we were able to find a table in the crowded restaurant. First time this has happened to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite go-to spot for a birthdayLauraDined on 8/18/2014Service is awesome! I called ahead to tell them it was my husband's birthday. When our waitress greeted us she wished him a happy birthday. Good touch! We go there every year at his request. Sit by the fireplace (even if it isn't on) The lobster mac & cheese is awesome. We ate the crab cake appetizer (very good) and a steak. The cheese cake was excellent. This restaurant is should be visited more often than just a birthday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Our group greatly enjoyed the brunch. We had a roomy comfortable table and enjoyed the wide selection of items on the brunch bar. We did find that items like fruit and selected seafood items ran out quickly but we felt relaxed and not rushed and could easily wait till the item was replenished.Special Features:
- J Gilberts for BrunchangiejacksDined on 8/17/2014I have been here a couple of times for brunch and dinner. They have a great menu and many selections to choose from. I will say they need to enhance their sirloin and omelette station as it was one person doing both and he even had to go back and get more food when it ran out. The food was good, but it has been better. I'm hoping this was an off day.Special Features: