J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
6930 Old Dominion Drive
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?823
- Phone: (703) 893-1034
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Frank Casper
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: J.Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood is the perfect setting for your banquet, wedding rehearsal dinner, graduation party, birthday celebration, business meeting or any other special occasion that demands an excellent meal and elegant setting.
- Private Party Contact: Anne Scott 8772491785
- Entertainment: Happy hour: Sunday - Friday, 4pm - 7pm bar only.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Carrot Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for weekend lunch, dinner 7 days a week & Sunday Brunch. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean - Best Restaurants in McLean ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - McLean reviews from OpenTable diners
405 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (215)special occasion (207)good for groups (151)fit for foodies (136)great for lunch (135)romantic (123)great for brunch (97)vibrant bar scene (88)notable wine list (80)kid-friendly (49)hot spot (44)late-night find (17)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- musicDined on 11/20/2014Very good service and food, Wonderful place to meet friends. They seem to handle a very large amount of traffic well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place!hanusa2VIPDined on 11/19/2014We go often. The food is excellent (we don't eat steak anywhere else in the East) and service is truly exceptional. The staff is very efficient and friendly. There are no restrictions on sharing, which is what we often do. The low noise level and arrangement of private booths make J.Gilberts a great place to actually sit and talk. We love the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Didn't expect to need reservations for an 8 p.m. dinner for four on a Tuesday evening, but am glad that we had them. The restaurant was packed. Service was outstanding and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great food.frequentdinerDined on 11/18/2014Our server was Gregory and he was excellent in his service and customer service. Greg made good recommendations, was knowledgeable of the menu entrees, made us feel welcome, and made our lunch very enjoyable. The food was wonderful as always, but the high point that made our visit most enjoyable was our server. We were also greeted at the door in a very friendly and inviting manner. The salmon dishes and Waygu burger were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2eatoutDined on 11/17/2014This is often the "go-to" place for special occasions, as well as just to have a nice dinner out. Food, service and ambiance always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Special TreatBryanDined on 11/17/2014Great food, romantic atmosphere, wonderful service and made my wife's birthday very special. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Nice AtmospherebarbDined on 11/17/2014Great lunch specials, including crabcake soup and sandwich. Good place to meet friends in a relaxed enjoyable atmosphere. Service was friendly and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014J. Gilbert's is one of my favorite places to go when dining out. I have dined there are many occassions. The service is second to none and they food iis excellent. I would recommend J. Gilbert's for to anyone who enjoys Greta food and outstanding customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - Not amazing.sugcoVIPDined on 11/14/2014Kid friendly with kids menu is a plus. I had the "cowboy" steak which is the bone in rib eye. bone weight too big thus making actual meat portion less. taste was good, again not amazing BUT very expensive for what you get. $50 for a steak entree. I would rather go to Chima - all you can eat Brazilian for the same price and get a variety of meat choices. Went because its local place near our home. Best part of restaurant are the booth tables next to the fireplace. Their mixed drinks are priced well at $10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good old-fashioned dinning!sbc2556Dined on 11/14/2014I haven't had a steak this good in years. The wood-fired prime beef is better than advertised. They do service the way it's supposed to be done here; from the time you walk in the door to the final check. I absolutely love this place and can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the place but too cold.lyleDined on 11/8/2014Very good food and service. Many in our section (all the way in the back), including us, kept their coats on. We complained but the temperature didn't change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and wonderful food!WCatDined on 11/8/2014We went to J Gilbert's to celebrate our 42nd Wedding Anniversary. The service was great. The steaks were excellent and prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still pretty goodasdfVIPDined on 11/7/2014I live in the area and have been going to Gilberts for a while. Unfortunately it seems like the service is steadily declining. The last two times I've eaten here I've had pretty grumpy waiters. I don't require over the top niceness or chit chat, but the last couple of waiters have been unhappy and the service was abrupt. The food is still mostly great, though we've had a couple of less than perfectly cooked steaks the last couple of nights there. For the price point this is not acceptable. To their credit, the steak entree was removed from the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A step up in qualityvinoVIPDined on 11/7/2014As McLean residents, we have tended to view J. Gilbert's more for its convenience than the excellence of its food. A safe but not an exciting The cobb salad, for example, was excellent and ample. Meat and seafood combinations didn't compromise on either. And the biggest improvement has been in the wine list. J. Gilbert's now offers several first-class wines--more expensive, yes, but the quality is there.
- JackieDined on 11/7/2014I come to this retaurant because the food is outstanding and the service is super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring back sour-dough bread!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014One of our favorite local restaurants. Great menu options and promotional offers. Although, we REALLY miss the sour dough bread that was served, now replaced with biscuits. Though not necessarily corporate's fault, by now other arrangements should be made to bring it back. :)Special Features:
- Dining at J. Gilbert's2kprDined on 11/5/2014The food was excellent as always. But, more importantly, the staff bent over backwards to provide a private room for us as requested even though we did not have the minimum number of people. Our group meets annually at J. Gilbert's and as the organizer of the dinner, I really appreciated the emphasis on giving me the ambiance I wanted for the group. Our waiter was also extremely attentive and the evening was a huge success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a bit overpricedwaltVIPDined on 11/3/2014We frequent J. Gilbert's often as we live in McLean and options for a decent sit down meal are limited. Generally the food is pretty good; not great, not consistent in taste and not quite worth the price (I think it could be 10-15% cheaper). But when we want a sit down meal but don't want to go into the city we generally stop by here. The service is usually pretty good but our waitress this time was a bit slow. On this particular visit the lobster mac and cheese was a disappointment, tasting 'fishy' instead of the creamy goodness it usually is. Steaks are generally the best bet. Fishes can be dry and vegetables sometimes over cooked and over salted. After getting a lumpy bisque once, I've been scared to try their soups again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceLu2dineVIPDined on 11/3/2014Considering a late appointment in Arlington, my wife and I made a reservation for an early dinner. We arrived earlier than expected and were seated at a table next to the fireplace. A nice gesture. Our server was wonderful and our wine selection as well as the dinner itself were delivered promptly with the steaks we enjoyed cooked to perfection. It is always a pleasure to dine at J. Gilbert's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!MaestrofinkDined on 11/1/2014i was shocked to hear that it was one of five upscale ventures by the owners of Hulihans. The quality of food was superb! The scallops were pan-seared to perfection...having grown up in New Jersey,I am a bit of a seafood snob. The fillet was outstanding as well. Dinners include a salad, entree and two sides...and dessert! Crème brûlée ! Dinner for two for under $100 including coffee and everything except alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMagnoliasDined on 11/1/2014Really enjoyed our Saturday night date (married 33 years) at your restaurant. The food, wine and service all excellent. I will recommend you to friends and will return again.Special Features:
- Our favorite for steakFamilyof3VIPDined on 11/1/2014I continually review this restaurant the same - fabulous steak and wonderful service. We like to try other steak restaurants also and we always come right back here because it is so consistent and wonderful. They really cater to their customers also and we enjoy that! You cannot find a better steak for this price.Special Features:
- good burgerHughVIPDined on 10/31/2014needed a quick food stop, the guys provided great burgers quickly, job done !Special Features:
- Good lunch spot in McLeandinerDined on 10/27/2014We had a reservation and were greeted warmly and seated promptly. My friends ordered the Steak & Wedge Salad and the Buffalo Bleu Salad; I ordered the Jumbo Lump Crabmelt. The salads were attractive and the portions were large. The Crabmelt, however, was underwhelming - little more than a small grilled cheese sandwich with a smashed crab cake in it. Good ice tea but refills require a whole new glass - refills by pitcher would be my preference. We were seated in a side room that holds two 6-tops. The conversation at the other table filled the small room so that we had to raise our voices to be heard, but the main room seemed loud as well. The service was attentive and pleasant. We will be back. I would like to try the Lobster Cobb Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- californianDined on 10/26/2014It was the best steak I've had in the D.C. Area. The whole experience was well worth the price. I especially liked it because one could carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- We're RegularsDwightBDined on 10/26/2014This is one of our favorites because the food and service is always good and dependable. If we have out of town guests, we know they will not be disappointed with the choice of restaurants if we choose J Gilbert's.Special Features:
- Loved itHDFHTBOYDined on 10/25/2014We got to sit by the fireplace and it was very nice. Steaks came out perfect for everyone and my wife loved her Salmon. Will be back.Special Features:
- Good Food - Service AverageRamiDined on 10/25/2014The food here is reliably OK. Steak was good. Potatoes were average. With respect to service, this restaurant suffers from a usual problem. If one does not order alcohol, one does not receive first-rate service.
- picky familyPickyfamilyDined on 10/25/2014in my family of picky eaters, we all LOVE J. Gilbert's. the service is outstanding and the prices are reasonable considering the quality, presentation and service. we return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Went here on a Friday night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I loved the dim lighting, which set the tone for our romantic date. The food was delicious, but I will say the crab cake that came with my filet mignon was small. It was just enough for me, but a grown man would have been disappointed with the portion size. The service was great. They happily adjusted our reservation when we called to say we were running late and they gave us a complimentary slice of cake to celebrate our anniversary! Overall, it was a good choice of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Chose this restaurant because the parking lot is always packed-from opening until closing every day. Plus, it's locally owned. With all of those cars, all of the time, it just had to be great. And it was. Service was wonderful as well and prices were moderate. Make sure you go with a reservation. We were seated right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filet is Excellent!TJaxDined on 10/24/2014The filet with truffle butter was so delicious. The scallops were small, but each bite was good. Also, the drinks are strong and good. No complaints.Special Features:
- A bit offAloeDined on 10/23/2014Normally a great evening, waited endlessly for food, seems it got lost in the fog somewhere, eventually after kitchen flurry, brought out by a manager with a few bucks off the bill. As I said normally its a great evening.Special Features:
- For McLean, Very Good41142hltVIPDined on 10/22/2014As McLean restaurants go, J Gilbert's is the most consistent and reliable. The addition of the new biscuits as the complimentary bread plate was an outstanding move. The maple glazed salmon is terrific, as is the French dip at lunch time. McLean restaurants as a rule are awful; J Gilbert's is the best of a very less than mediocre restaurant scene. You cannot go wrong at lunch time, and dinner is as good as you'll find in McLean. Of course, that's like saying you are the best looking guy at Fat Camp.Special Features:
- Consistently excellent!PatriciaDined on 10/19/2014We have gone to several restaurants in the northern virginia area in search of a good brunch and J. Gilbert's is by far the best around. The selection is amazing, the food is always delicious, and the service is outstanding. The omelet station and fresh seafood are some of our favorites. To top of the experience, don't forget the hot Belgium waffles served to your table. It WILL be the best brunch you've ever had.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014We thought the food and food was excellent; food a bit pricey however for the portion you got. Don''t think we will go back for a while.Special Features:
- Another very good visitGlobetrotDined on 10/14/2014We had another very good visit to J. Gilberts Tuesday Night. Party of 4 with dietary restrictions and special requests...all accommodated well. We go regularly and will continue to do so because for the quality and value its better than any other options in McLean.Special Features:
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014Food and service are good, but no place to park and had to shout to be heard.
- First time at J.Gilbert's for lunchNikkyDined on 10/13/2014Service was only okay, however it could be a bit better. Also the restaurant could think about renovating since the locale shows some wear and tear over the years. In Mclean there are few options for lunch so it could be a good place for more upscale dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Bone-in FiletCiaoBellaVIPDined on 10/12/2014Gilberts is a great neighbourhood spot that is always busy. Their wood-fired steaks and seafood are especially good and of high quality. We had the bone-in Filet Mignon, medium rare. It was a 10 oz, I believe, extremely tender and quite delicious. The service was attentive as well. The wedge salad and the Maytag Chips also are worthy of note.Special Features: