J. Buck's - Clayton
101 South Hanley Road
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Buck's - Clayton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jbucks.com/
- Phone: 3147254700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday 4:00-10:00pm
Bar: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Friday 11:00am - 1:00am, Saturday 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Holmdahl
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: J. Buck's - Clayton offers a box lunch program as well as an extensive catering menu & is available for other special events in the restaurant and off-site. No event is too big or small!
- Private Party Facilities: J. Buck's - Clayton offers private rooms seating from 8 to 16 guests. We also have a NEW private "Joe Buck Room" that seats 18-35 people. Areas of the dining room can be sectioned off to accommodate 17 to 75 guests. The "Julie Buck Lounge" is also available for cocktail parties up to 25 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Alli Hughey 3147254700
- Special Events: Wine Wednesday - Every Wednesday we feature a new wine at a special price until the following Wednesday. This wine is always featured as a by-the-glass pour.
A word from J. Buck's - Clayton
J. Buck's offers a dining experience that will appeal to everyone. The warm, sophisticated, and welcoming atmosphere is conducive to casual or business lunches, romantic dinners or the "Just Because". The ambient style is created by precision lighting, cozy fireplace & gas torch lamps, and a warm and inviting decor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
J. Buck's - Clayton - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
J. Buck's - Clayton reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (16)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (7)special occasion (4)great for brunch (3)fit for foodies (3)romantic (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great breakfast spotAOKAnnieVIPDined on 9/15/2014I had breakfast with a friend and it was delightful. We had a lot of catching up to do and the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. I think this would be a great place for a business breakfast meeting, too, or a committee meeting.Special Features:
- Great service and foodSuperbDined on 9/11/2014The service was better than outstanding and the food was fantastic. I will definetely bring people back to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKDisappointedDined on 9/6/2014Chip appetizer was overly seasoned so we got cheese curds instead and they were great. We ordered the filet and the salmon. Broccoli on both our plates was cold, fries and mashed potatoes were barely warm as was the meat. We let the waitress know and she offered to warm them up but we had waited so long we didn't want to wait any longer. We has a 5:30 reservation and when we arrived they sat us right next to the only other occupied table... Why? Since there were only 6 of us in the restaurant we thought our food would be fresh and hot. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finger Licking GoodTXMIMIDined on 9/5/2014Holy cow, it's Joe Buck's restaurant! Two of his many Emmys are on display. Food was plentiful and very good. We had ribs which were tender and moist with a sticky, slightly sweet bbq sauce. Only complaint was they have cloth napkins which don't lend themselves well with ribs. I had a smoked turkey salad that was wonderful. I ordered the dinner portion and wound up taking half of it home. Only complaint on this dish is that it advertised it came with avocado, but only had one slice. Overall a gem. $$ Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointingDined on 9/5/2014Met a client there for lunch. The service was slow and took a substantial amount of time for our food to arrive. The Cobb salad I order had enough cheese on it to cover a large pizza. There is nothing wires than taking a bite of meat that is all day. I was disappointed.
- VisitoranticipationDined on 8/26/2014I was visiting on business and took my team to lunch. When we arrived for the lunch hour with reservations, it was not very crowded at all. After being seated the crowd begin to populate. We sat for almost an hour with no food, we had already placed our order. Because of the timeframe we asked for our meals to go, we no longer had time to sit and dine in. Very disappointed for this reason alone. The other issue was one of my team members ordered the pulled pork and beef or turkey cannot remember now, once we returned to the office to eat the meat was very dry. (2 meat board) The waitress was extremely pleasant and apologeticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a bad day1BadDayVIPDined on 8/14/2014Our server seemed overwhelmed. Not sure if he was given to many duties or was just not good at juggling things. I had the brisket which I thought was a bit overdone. My friend had a salad that was missing listed ingredients. My friend also did not like the fact that our server said in order to get their famous pretzel bread that you must make a special request.
- Not too pleased...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Being in clayton I would have expected more. We sat outside which was a mistake because our server was also working the bar. Took one hour to get our food. Sodas were flat. Server did not clear drinks away as we got new ones and refills. Will not be going back.
- Restaurant FanSandersDined on 7/10/2014Lunch is always a hit! The burgers are delicious -- well seasoned and packed with flavor. The fries are deliciously unique. Have had dinner a couple of times, once with our young child (age 2 at the time), but found lunch to be much better in regards to menu options and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service great food.JbuckDined on 6/20/2014Get the goody butter cake and chocolate ice cream for dessert is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014It was horrible and we wouldn't go back again. The service was awful. We ate outside and I felt like we were on a picnic (or even worse). The food was bad and there was not one positive thing we could say about the entire evening.
- A little light for the costlunchmeetingdinerDined on 6/13/2014At $21.00 per person for a sandwich, a small side and soft drink....and a bit longer wait than expected, I'm not sure this works for lunch!
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014The chicken fingers were overcooked. Worse chicken fingers I have ever had. My husband's ribs were tough. No impressed at all with the food.
- The following 244 reviews are from the J. Buck's - Clayton reviews archive.
- In and Outjustthe4ofusDined on 5/17/2014We were in St. Louis for only 2 days and we were staying at the Ritz. J. Buck's was just a pleasant, short walk from the hotel and we had an early evening meal in order to be on time for a concert. The food was very good, the atmosphere was trendy casual, and our service was very good. We were happy we chose J. Buck's. We chose the restaurant after visiting their website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost it ambianceBrimanDined on 5/13/2014I was looking for an upscale dinner to celebrate an anniversary. We have had very good experiences before at J. Bucks, so thought it would be a nice choice. I left disappointed. The menu has changed to compete with mid-level chains, so there were very few good entree choices (many more burger and sandwiches than entrees). I got a filet, but unfortunately it was sub-par. Although there was a sauce on it, it was still dry on the outer edges. The steak also had a unpleasing taste to it. Almost like it was bad. The sauce was no help in covering up the unpleasing flavor, as it was a vinegar base that I could taste too much of the vinegar. Service was ok - had 3 servers - none seemed to really care how we were doing.
- Great for lunchPDSTLDined on 4/29/2014A great place to meet a friend for lunch. Great food, reasonable price, great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J.Bucks-A great experiencecardinals14Dined on 4/26/2014I had ate at Buck's close to the ballpark before but this was my first visit to J. Bucks in Clayton. Nice restaurant in a great area.. it was just my wife and I. I had made reservations and although we were a little early, we were seated right away.. Food and service was excellent.. I will be back! Jack buck was my broadcast hero and it was fun to see all the pictures.Special Features:
- A little less than satisfiedDissatisfiedDined on 4/23/2014I was a little upset because we had placed our order in advance to be ready when we arrived for our reservation since we only had an hourlunch and after speaking with someone I was certain that would be the case. Instead we waited for nearly 25 minutes after arriving before our food came to us (which defeated the purpose of pre-ordering) and it wasn't hot. I would have thought that it would be hot because I only assume the reason for the wait was because they had to cook the food right then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family TimeFamilyTimeDined on 4/5/2014We had a great time at J Buck's Clayton. Service was quick our server was good and the food was GOOD!!!! Very nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRallyhbmDined on 4/3/2014Service was slow, poor. We had 4 different people serving out table at different times, and they each were polite but seemed like we were troubling them. Calamari was undercooked; some bits were good, some bits still had a touch of raw wet dough. Salmon was okay, nothing special. Husband's ribs were not interesting. Too bad. We live really close, but will not return. The inside of the restaurant is so pretty but that's not enough to prompt a return.
- for sports fans & bus lunchesSTLdinerDined on 4/1/2014J. Buck's is a great place for a quick business lunch. The food selection accommodates a wide range of tastes and the price is very reasonable for the location. Wait staff are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLPGC lunchSueWaDined on 3/25/2014I put my reservation in early on the date we were going to lunch; I hadn't realized we had 6-7 coming, not just 4. Therefore, I asked for the private dining area, it was available and we got it. Very nice, great area for business meeting. Food there is always good. Everything went well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The Wings We're Excellent. The brisket was dry, ribs burnt. I would go back for the wings. Maybe for a happy hour but the rest of the meal was lack luster.Special Features:
- DisappointedbbomberbbomberDined on 2/14/2014We had made a reservation for Valentines Day, and I was looking forward to an evening of romance and fine dining. I had been to their old location at highway K and 40 (now closed) which was very upscale - dimly lit, candles on the tables, heavy leather bound menus, and an extensive selection of delicious entrees. I was very disappointed when I walked in and discovered that it was basically just a glorified sports bar, with a menu that was mostly comprised of wings, burgers, and sandwiches. They did have a small selection of entrees, from which I ordered salmon that was at best just "ok". It was all the more disappointing given that we had driven over an hour to get there. I would not go back.
- Tasty smoked offerings!!!!judge4bbqDined on 2/14/2014I shared the smoked chicken wings with my family as an appetizer. They were wonderfully smoked, not overpowering. For my dinner I had the ribs and sausage with the macaroni and cheese. The ribs were fall off the bone tender and the sauce was delicious. The sausage and macaroni were flavorful. The amount of food for the price was priced and sized perfectly. The staff could have been more attentive and quicker with delivering the meal. The meal could have been hotter. Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful AtmosphereLove2DineDined on 1/31/2014When entertaining clients it is often hard to find a decent restaurant that has a wide variety of food. J. Bucks is the place! Whether it is business related or a special occasion this would please anyone that visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJesseDined on 1/25/2014Had reservations with 10 friends for my 40th, we were seated fairly quickly in a small private room. I hadn't dined here before and was pleasantly surprised by the room with its own TV and music controls. Two servers introduced themselves and said they would be taking care of us, though we really only saw one of them. Drink service was slow from the start, with bar drinks taking 10+ minutes to arrive. The food was delivered in a reasonable amount of time, except for 1 person's. Her entree arrived 15 minutes later, with nothing but a curt apology and then service got even slower. The last straw was we asked for our checks at 9:05, we didn't leave until 9:45! 40 minutes to pay is just unacceptable.Special Features:
- Clayton Restaurant WeekSTLFoodieVIPDined on 1/23/2014My first visit - service was great, loved our waitress! Loved the atmosphere of the place. A little disappointed with the pre-picked Restaurant week menu. Choices were great - spinach salad was delicious, filet filled with crab was not as expected. Flimsy-size and I couldn't even detect crab at all. Wanted the pecan pie for dessert, but they were out. I was offered a rain check, which was nice. The other dessert was a chocolate cake. Very disappointing. Dry and just not good all-around. I really want to go back and try more off their regular menu, as I know pre-fixe, restaurant-week menus don't always showcase the best a restaurant has to offer. BBQ looks good. Will definitely be back to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clayton Restaurant WeekEllenDined on 1/23/2014The special menu was very nice, but the Osso Bucco pork shank was one of the BEST dishes we have ever eaten in our lives!!! If it was on the menu, we would have to come in regularly for a fix! Kudos to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My server was awesome andLeighcuisineDined on 1/22/2014My server was awesome and the vibe was great. Food? Not so much of a big fan. And it was my first Jbucks visit.Special Features:
- Poor service, good food.daeseeyDined on 1/21/2014Granted, we made a late 9:45, reservation, but said that we would be ready to order right away and would sit in the bar so as not to keep a server late.There was no one at the front or in the bar.A chef wandered out,I told him we had a reservation,He said, "oh, you do"? and went back to get someone.We ordered off of the CRW menu, but only my bf's entree came out.I guess the bartender thought I wanted to pay the full price for just a salad and dessert? Hmm. I would think that would have warranted further questioning. So I waited for my entree while my bf ate his.Compliments to the kitchen, however, the food was great, ultimately saving the experience, but I judge a restaurant most by the service, and I'm sorry to say that I will not be back.
- Bad dinner experience.BirthdayDinnerGoneBadDined on 1/21/2014I work in Clayton so I eat at J Bucks a lot for lunch. Good place to take clients and business associates. Never had a bad experience during the day. This was the first time we tried for dinner. It was during Clayton restaurant week and unfortunately our experience was not a good one. The steaks were overcooked, the carrots were undercooked and the service was slow.Special Features:
- good barbecuetastebuddyDined on 1/11/2014good food for a good price. Nicely presented. Good for a family dinner or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- game nightfranklyDined on 10/24/2013Wanted to watch World Series game while eating but not st the bar. Hostess very helpful. I stopped in a couple of hours before reservation time and she set aside a table in the dining room with a good view of the game. My tilapia was really delicious but my friends Cobb salad was very average, but maybe that's what a Cobb salad is. The service was a little under par. We thought the " waiter" may have been a busboy filling in as he knew very little about the menu. We ordered desert of gooey cake with vanilla ice cream upon the suggestion of the "new" waittess who came by at this time. The cake was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is good and whatBuddyDined on 10/8/2013The food is good and what a great time ot soak up some Cardinal memorbilia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good start to weekendwineanddineVIPDined on 10/4/2013Nice outdoor patio. We enjoyed happy hour and a good meal. The ribeye and tilapia were very good. Servers took good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've eaten at both Buck'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2013I've eaten at both Buck's locations (Downtown & Clayton) and the Downtown experience was definitely much better. Waitstaff at Clayton were not very friendly. The Ribs were great (I would get them again), but that's probably the only thing I would go back for. The Brisket was very dry & sliced super thin - almost like brisket jerky.
- We ate on the patio. the serviceIllinialDined on 9/13/2013We ate on the patio. the service was poor with long intervals between seeing a server. my wife ordered a Ceasar salad. i ordered a mixed greens salad. i received the mixed greens salad before my entree. my wife did not receive her salad until after her entree. it was not a Ceasar. it was mixed greens. I got tilapia and my wife got salmon. Initially they took the entrees to the wrong table. Both entrees were fair but not great.Special Features:
- Quick and easyRelaxedVIPDined on 9/6/2013Fast service, tasty food, rib eye, pizza,, ribs, except for the the zHalibut-dry.Special Features:
- Third time's not the charmOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2013Third time we ate here. Food good, but we had a SLOW service experience -- took 45 minutes to get our food and it wasn't busy. We were seated on the upper platform at the rear of the restaurant. Our first server took our order promptly and then disappeared. We ended up with another waitress, and an assistant, but felt as if we were forgotten. This new waitress really never checked in with us, but let the assistant check in a couple of times. Finally we sought out another waitress who went to the kitchen and got our food, which may have finally been on the way out. Will probably give it another chance next time in St. Louis, but will be wary.