3770 East Sunrise Drive
Tucson, AZ 85718Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.janos.com/
- Phone: 5206156100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily, 5:00pm - 9:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Janos Wilder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Spectacular receptions and dinners can be held on our terrace and patio which showcase panoramic views of the entire city below. Corporate and social events feature custom designed menus and are individually tailored for each of our customers.
- Private Party Contact: Catering Assistant 5206156100
- Entertainment: Join us every Wednesday and Thursday from May through September for the J BAR Summer Music Series. Catch the best local Jazz / Blues and Roots Bands while enjoying the spectacular views from our Lower Patio.
A word from J BAR
Inspired by the Parillas of border town Nogales, and borrowing from the culinary traditions of Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean, the centerpiece of the J BAR menu are grilled marinated meats, fish and poultry served family style with a variety of accompaniments including chili rajas, frijoles de la olla, chili cilantro slaw, salsas and hand-stretched flour tortillas. Appetizers will feature ceviches, quesadillas and bar snacks in innovative preparations. The menus rely heavily on the restaurant's longstanding relationship with local gardeners to showcase the freshest and best ingredients of the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J BAR reviews from OpenTable diners
- what a difference from myOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/26/2012what a difference from my usual experiences here. guess it had to do with it being their last day. I had never had poor service here until last night and tonight. :(
- Sad to see you goOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2012J bar is my absolute favorite restaurants in Tucson. Between the exquisite seasonal menu, fresh margaritas and spectacular views, you can't go wrong! We've been going here a couple times a month for the last fews years. It's devastating it is cosing...lots of memories and good times. Hopefully Janos will find anew location and continue with the same menu. Downtown kitchen is great too, but J bar is second to one!Special Features:
- Wonderful food, nice outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2012Wonderful food, nice outdoor dining. Attentive servers, but I did have to wait a bit for my check. They were, to be fair, busy. The noise on the terrace was fairly low , but very noisy on the inside.Special Features:
- FABULOUS JANOS!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2012Too bad JBar is closing. We look forward to Janos Wilder's next adventure and hope he won't keep us waiting too long. Simply an outstanding evening!Special Features:
- AlasBeebsDined on 5/12/2012With great regret - this will most probably be our last "J Bar." Soooo sad to see this go-to restaurant close, alas.Special Features:
- J Bar will be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2012The duck mole enchiladas were exceptionally delicious! I'm sad that J Bar will close at the end of May 2012. While its sister restaurant, Janos, is stuffy and overpriced, J Bar offers food and service of equal quality at lower prices and in a relaxed, more "youthful" setting. Thankfully, Janos Wilder's other restaurant, Downtown Kitchen, will remain open to continue his tradition of great Tucson restaurants.Special Features:
- Au Revoir, JBar!RoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 5/10/2012I'll miss both JBar and Janos when they close May 26! Congratulations for many years of tasty dining!Special Features:
- We have always loved the JBarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2012We have always loved the JBar for its outstanding food and ambiance. It will be truly missed. Looking forward to Janos next adventure for Tucson!Special Features:
- Overall, we had a lovely diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012Overall, we had a lovely dining experience on a Friday night. The patio seating was beautiful and peaceful. The service was over the top and the food was great.Special Features:
- This used to be such a niceDavenhVIPDined on 4/25/2012This used to be such a nice place to bring friends - but service & food has slipped significantly since our last visit
- Pretty DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/14/2012Everything about our visit was mediocre, including the food. Based on my experience at Janos, where the food was amazing, I expected much more. We also brought my two year old son and the restaurant refused to give us bread for him because Janos was "too busy" and couldn't spare it. Really? Our waiter was unenthusiastic and generally absent, and my hisband's burger was way overcooked. The fish tacos were good, but certainly nothing to write home about. For these prices I would expect way, way more.Special Features:
- This was our third trip toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2012This was our third trip to J Bar. Food is great and unique and we had enjoyed our previous visits. However, this visit was a disappointment. The food was still excellent, but the service was very poor. We will return, but only one more time if service continues to be an issue.Special Features:
- As usual the food at J BarOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2012As usual the food at J Bar was excellent with high quality ingredients, careful preparation and very nice presentation.Special Features:
- For resort guests and locals alikeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2012For resort guests and locals alike, Chef Janos and his staff have created a fusion of Latin and Caribbean flavors in this upscale Tucson setting. The waitstaff in particular was attentive, courteous, knowledgeable, unobtrusive and professional. The menu selections met all expectations....perfectly prepared and beautifully presented as we have come to expect with all of Chef Janos' endeavors. The lovely terrace dining was reminiscent of resorts from Jamaica, Puerto Rico and Barbados to St. Lucia, St. Martin and Mexico.Special Features:
- Missed having salad split;OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/30/2012Missed having salad split; service not quite up to JanosSpecial Features:
- A real disappointment...CallieVIPDined on 3/29/2012We had read the reviews and checked out the menu, and it looked like a promising place for one of our four nights in Tucson. Not. The restaurant is attractive and fun, and the guacamole, although a bit salty, was very good. There's a good selection of interesting margaritas. But it was downhill from there. The glazed bbq ribs are described on the menu as "chewy," but were well beyond that. A "meh!" sauce was just dumped on tough, dry, stringy ribs. My dining partner had the duck enchiladas, which were better, but still pretty chewy. Not the dining experience we were hoping for.Special Features:
- J BAR continues to serve generallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2012J BAR continues to serve generally excellent food in a lovely settings. Their changing menu features a Southwestern flair and innovative approaches. The flourless chocolate torte with ice cream and chili spiked honey was fantastic.Special Features:
- If you are a vegetarian orsandyVIPDined on 3/24/2012If you are a vegetarian or have any eating restrictions at all, don't choose J Bar. There was only one thing on the menu I could eat, and I was more than unhappy with it. My partner ordered the short ribs, and although he liked the accouterments, he did not like the meat.
- My wife and I celebrated ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012My wife and I celebrated our 35th Anv. and we couldn't have picked a better place. The view was fantastic while we ate out side. I would/will be back again.Special Features:
- Menu changed...liked it betterSandyCKVIPDined on 3/24/2012Menu changed...liked it better before...can't get a regular burger, hot dog, shrimp tacos that were awesome but taken off menu and replaced with fish tacos...everything has a sauce on it.Special Features:
- Wonderful flavors!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/12/2012The food was terrific, a meal we will remember - so many flavors that worked so well together! Confusing wine-by-the-glass menu and the pours are NOT generous. You can get a flight of 3 for 9.50. I ordered 1 glass, paid more and my glass had less wine in it then one of the flight glasses at the table next to us. Go with the flights! Service was very poor, but at least the food was good as was the view. Good service would have made the evening perfect!
- Consistently great food andFrequentdinerVIPDined on 3/1/2012Consistently great food and service. Patio with city views.Special Features:
- Our experience was mixed.LizzyVIPDined on 2/29/2012Our experience was mixed. Service was great - the waiter went above and beyond to help assure I had a meal that met with all my dietary restriction. Unfortunately my husband's meal was bland and soggy. He had fish tacos. The Margaritas were disappointing.
- We brought our food savvyLovehowieDined on 2/25/2012We brought our food savvy daughter from SF and she next time make sure we make reservations at the JBAR on her next visit. That's impressive!!!Special Features:
- Happy foodies2HappyCampersVIPDined on 2/25/2012It was our best visit yet. Food was very good Great service. Pleasant setting outsideSpecial Features:
- Great service, unbeatable margaritaAElizabethDined on 2/24/2012Jack is the best server, period. We love coming and having your food and seeing him.Special Features:
- We had our wedding receptionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2012We had our wedding reception at J Bar and it was such a personal and tailored experience but remained casual and reasonable! We will be back every chance we get!
- Just OKFoodiewantinggreatserviceDined on 2/18/2012Eh, just OK. I was excited about going given the many positives I'd heard from others who had dined there in the past, but I was disappointed! My entree was overly spiced for me! Side dishes boring. Dessert just fair. Service acceptable. I wouldn't return.
- We really enjoyed our mealLisabDined on 2/18/2012We really enjoyed our meal at J-Bar. We sat outside, where they had heaters set up & the screens were down. It was cozy & quiet, and you could still see the view. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:
- When we first arrived it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2012When we first arrived it was quiet for a Saturday night. The decor was spot on for the place, very nice. I requested the best possible view, as it was a special occasion for my wife and I, and there was really not much of one. However, I did not see any tables with a real view inside the restaurant, only the patio. As it was a rather brisk night, I understand not seating us out there, so they did the right thing. The server took a while (too long) to greet us and get drink orders. I am not sure why as the restaurant was not busy at all. However once he did get to us, he was pleasant and attentive all night. Now the most important part, the food. Amazing! The nacho appetizer was good, but made great with addition of the chiltapine saSpecial Features:
- As always, JBar delivers.BeebsDined on 2/16/2012As always, JBar delivers. We all absolutely enjoyed our dining.Special Features:
- I went for the Vday 4 courseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I went for the Vday 4 course meal. The food was all very good and service as well. The inside of the bar was very tacky. The colors and interior design did not flow well.
- Get thee to the J-BarParrhesiaDined on 2/10/2012Where are all the people? Every year we come back to visit Tucson, we try to get to J-Bar. We have always beat back the crowds. Sorry to see the restaurant so quiet. We had two remarkable desserts tonight (accompanied by homemade gelato) as well as the usual fabulous entrees. And the award-winning J-Bar margarita really is outstanding.Special Features:
- Very solid dining experience.outoftownersDined on 2/9/2012Very solid dining experience. Food was very good and staff was excellent. The atmosphere was a tad too quiet for us not bustling and full of life but nice.Special Features:
- Our meals and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/4/2012Our meals and service were excellent. The sunset view from the outdoor porch was beautiful. Overall a great experience. I would recommend J BAR to anyone visiting the Tuscon area.Special Features:
- Food is very good but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2012Food is very good but service is consistently mediocre.
- meat was tasteless, they needOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2012meat was tasteless, they need to get higher quality of meat, honestly, It was a good thing we went so we know not to go there again, total dissapointment :(
- We love J-Bar! EspeciallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2012We love J-Bar! Especially appreciate your wonderful well trained staff. I look forward to getting your updates when I am at home in Seattle because it makes me think of the beautiful view and excellent food.Special Features:
- The burger was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/28/2012The burger was excellent, but cooked more than I ordered (like most restaurants they seem not to understand the term "medium rare"). The fish tacos were tasteless and doughy.Special Features:
- BEAUTIFUL SETTINGJRTUCSONVIPDined on 1/28/2012J BAR HAS A WONDERFUL PATIO WITH SUNSET VIEWS THAT MAKE THE RESTAURANT SPECIAL FOR AL FRESCO DINING. THE HAPPY HOUR MARGARITAS ARE MADE TO ORDER- SUGARLESS IF ONE PREFERS. THE DRAFT BEER ALWAYS GOES WELL WITH THE FOOD ENTREES. IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE APPETIZER ON THE HAPPY HOUR MENU TO GO ALONG WITH THE DRINKS. IN THIS BUSY SEASON, THE KITCHEN DOES A GOOD JOB, ESPECIALLY WITH THE COMBINATION PLATE AS WELL AS WITH THE CITRUS CHICKEN. THE WAIT STAFF IS VERY COMPETENT AND CORDIAL.Special Features: