J. Alexander's - Tampa
913 N Dale Mabry Hwy
Tampa, FL 33609Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 8133549006x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Oscar Hernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Tampa
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
J. Alexander's - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
J. Alexander's - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (40)romantic (37)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (26)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (21)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- tampaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent as always. My favorite side is the orzo and rice. No other restaurant can compete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific dinnerDiningfamilyVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a great time, place was busy. Our server was terrific and responsive. Food good as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLouDDined on 8/16/2014Good food and the service is great. 50 characters is stupid..............................................Special Features:
- Disorganizeddining101Dined on 8/16/2014When dining at a nicer restaurant, I really prefer one waitstaff person. We had 4 possibly 5. Waitress, server, drink taker, food delivery, and then the dinners came out two ahead of the other two. She said they'd be right out. That's just disorganized. Also they sell their yummy champagne vinaigrette by the pint. I requested twice- never received. Food was very good but a bit pricey. Desserts phenomenal. Have the warm carrot cake. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodSAVORYVIPDined on 8/15/2014Consistently good food and attentive servers always make for a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Familiar surroundingsraffermVIPDined on 8/8/2014j Alexander's is one of our go-to places on a Friday night after a long week at work. The food is good. The restaurant, with its dark wood tones and comfortable high booths is quiet and peaceful. The wait staff get it--they know when to be there and when to just leave you alone. The steak, veggies and fish are always fresh and they will cook them "clean" with alittle prompting. They never mind making reasonable substitutions.Special Features:
- Good but not greatTimothyVIPDined on 8/2/2014J. Alexanders has a good menu. The New York Strip was OK...not memorable. The NYO mac and cheese was excellent. One of our guests raved about the prime rib. The Brasserie steak and fries were also well received. The service was excellent...we had a fine server and that made the visit one that we will repeat in the future.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceflakomaloDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I came to this restaurant for our anniversary dinner. We were very pleased with the service and the food was outstanding. The price may be a little high depending on what you get, but I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but not worth the pricetgrllyctDined on 7/27/2014It's been a little while since we've been to J. Alexanders. We were UN-pleasantly surprised to see how pricey they have gotten! I used to compare going there as an alternative to Carrabba's or Bonefish Grille in regards to pricing (mid-to-higher price points depending on what you're in the mood for), but now they are way higher than that - and for the money, I would rather go to Flemings, Roys, Ocean Prime, or another comparable restaurant. The food was pretty good, but definitely not worth the higher prices they are now charging. We probably won't be back to J. Alexanders unless we just want a burger or salad. Sorry J........ (Side note: Their veggie black bean burger ROCKS - one of the best we've had)
- Excellent food!SadnurseDined on 7/24/2014We had the deviled eggs as appetizers. Yeah sounds ridiculous but was absolutely delicious. Best prime rib ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!IslandGirlDined on 7/22/2014Everything we ate was wonderful, however, the carrot cake was to die for! Warm with dripping icing!!! Not knowing what I was in for I agreed to share it, I won't do that again! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Our waiter was excellent and the food was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!MarchbdayDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I tried new and different food and drink selections during this trip and J Alexander's did not disappoint! The drinks were wonderful and the steaks were so tasty. I had the steak kabob special and the meat was tender and spiced just right. Unfortunately we had no room left for dessert.Special Features:
- Always a solid place for dinnerbradsiffVIPDined on 7/14/2014This is one of the better small restaurant chains. The food is consistently good and there are some good creative dishes on the menu. When there's no good local chef owned farm to table type of restaurant in your location, then J Alexander's is always a good choice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very AccommodatingAchriston1VIPDined on 7/13/2014One of our group is on a very strict diet - the server went out of his way to ensure she could still enjoy dining with us. Most appreciated!Special Features:
- Date nightOmnivoreDined on 7/11/2014With my two daughters and Rita and the rest of the team made sure we were well attended toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium Raw?WoodyvilleDined on 7/9/2014This was our second time at this location: first time the service was impeccable and the food a little off (chicken way over spiced and pork underdone) so we decided to give them another try. This time the service was not quite as good (forgot water and bread that we're asked for) but still ok. The food, again disappointed. I ordered the NY strip medium rare (and seared) and the wife had the crab cake. Crab cake was ok but the steak came out looking barely cooked, which it was. It was raw - purple all the way through. I cut about an inch into the thick end to show the server and sent it back. I received the same steak (minus the chunk) back cooked about right. So I paid $31 for 80% of a steak and a side of frustration.
- J Alexander'sVirginia9Dined on 6/29/2014J. Alexander's is an old favorite. We always start with the roasted artichoke. Best I have had in a restaurant. We had the Ahi Tuna Salad and the Bacon Swiss burger, both very good. Sides were the smashed potatoes and Mac and Cheese, both good. My spouse swears by the Lemon Drop cocktail and I like the craft beer options. As I started, we have never had a bad experience at J. Alexanders. I call it the best restaurant nobody talks about.Special Features:
- Superb, as alwaysPatCVIPDined on 6/28/2014I was in for a special treat on Saturday - they had Pacific Golden Snapper as a special, and boy, was it special! Deliciously prepared, lightly sauced (it needed no sauce, it was so good) and incredibly moist and tender - Nino grilled it perfectly! This was the first time I had tried this dish and it was worth the wait. Their grillmaster, service staff, welcoming staff and management run a well-oiled machine with great love - and it shows in the product. My husband enjoyed the tender baby-back ribs and cleaned his plate. A wonderful Saturday meal.Special Features:
- Can always count on our jalexandersTampaPutterDined on 6/28/2014Tampa's JAlexanders can always be depended on for excellent steaks, wonderful lump crab cakes and one of the best Mac n cheese sides in tampa. The salads are awesome. Husband says it had best burger in town. Service is top notch. Also it has some nice wines by the glass. Usually too full for dessert, but to me it needs a different signature dessert. Carrot cake is very good but .....go there at least once a month. Highly reccomend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014For the first time while visiting J Alexander's I was not impressed.
- Long waitomnivoreDined on 6/25/2014Made reservation for noon business lunch, arrived 5 minutes early, was not seated until 12:30. The reservation seemed to have no affect at all on seating priority. 30 minute wait for sit down business lunch is unacceptable, as most people are on a time constraint during lunch. They need to keep better track of reservations and not allow you to reserve a certain time that is clearly overbooked with reservations. Ok for dinner when you can grab a drink at the bar while you wait but not for lunch on a weekday. That being said, food was good, table service was good, and manager offered free appetizer to make up for the wait. Ordered the artichokes-don't see what the hype is with them. They were difficult to eat.
- One of Tampa's GemsPatCVIPDined on 6/21/2014The service is always stellar - the welcome always warm and with a smile - the energy in the restaurant is always electric - the food is always prepared "just right." What else can be said about a restaurant which energizes us both with food and friendliness every time we visit? Old reliable (except not old in the least). Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a ggod meal....GatorCPAVIPDined on 6/12/2014Do not pass up this place. Always a great meal, ambiance and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid and unpretentious winner!Glutton246Dined on 6/12/2014Excellent range of dishes on the menu. Nice ambience and great service. The food was much better than one would expect from a chain of 32 restaurants. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Awesome Experience Every TimeProphetDined on 6/9/2014J Alexander's is one of the finest restaurants in the US. Consistently exemplary service and food. I would challenge anyone to top their service! Outstanding time after time. Number 1 restaurant in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise.WmarvelDined on 6/7/2014i have enjoyed JA's in the past for lunch and always found it to be a good choice. But when it came to dining out for dinner with my husband i had a hard time convincing him that it was the right place. i was pleasantly surprised that everything we ordered was JUST right! we were happy with everything....from the grilled artichokes, the seared ahi salad, the grouper special and the steak brazzo. so glad we went and i know we will go again.Special Features:
- ShanyVIPDined on 6/3/2014good service - good food, would come back for lunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 5/31/2014Have been to J. Alenders before, really enjoy the food, the service is great, have never had a bad experience I highly recommend this restaurant.My wife, son and I really enjoy our dining experience at your restaurant. The staff is friendly knowledgeable and courteous. The menu appears to be changing pretty regularly recently, which is good and bad, there were some favorites that we enjoyed which are no longer served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stacey FosterSTACEY15Dined on 5/23/2014As usual we enjoy dining at J. Alexanders about every other month. We driver over from St. Petersburg, Florida to take in the atmosphere and excellent service. Chris our server last time was exceptional and we have already talked about getting back over sooner than later. Thank you again and keep up the great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac n cheese is a must haveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014I had the Mac n cheese, pecan trusted trout, and an old fashioned. Everything was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014The chicken salad was delicious as was that wonderful chocolate dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014A great way to start the rest of mother day weekend with a great dinner with you guy and Mrs Gladys Knight at Ruth Eckerd Hall O BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableAuntRieDined on 5/13/2014We enjoyed every aspect of our dinner at J. Alexander's.Special Features:
- mothers dayzlloyd80Dined on 5/11/2014I took my wife here for mother day dinner and luckily made reservations on opentable because it was packed! We had our 3 year old with us and he loved the big booths. Our appetizer was amazing ( roasted artichoke ) And my maui ribeye was amazing. My wife said the grouper was a little flavor less but she loves fishy fish. I ordered a Manhatten and you get 2 for 1! Great atmosphere. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for special occasionsKellyDined on 5/10/2014Excellent food, a little pricey and a bit noisy (kitchen opens into dining area ... fun but at times annoying with crashing dishes), but overall very nice restaurant. Comfortable seating. Go early or late or be prepared to wait. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!LunchnchickDined on 5/9/2014This was a great place for a nice Friday night dinner. Good service, drinks, atmosphere and food choices. Chicken tenders were delish!
- Yummy food, for a night outmeandhubbyfoodiesDined on 5/9/2014The food here is excellent. 2nd time here and no food complaints. Come hungry leave full. My waiter was a bit lacking on personality. Maybe he had a bad day?? But all in all we had good service.Special Features:
- Very nicePlaceJohnVIPDined on 5/9/2014Great visit, had shrimp and Red Snapper between two of us. Very generous portion and had to leave some behind. Will go back. Service was top notch. martini was well made. Overall great experience and will recommend for anyone wanting a good dinnerSpecial Features:
- NEVER disappoints !EatonItUpDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I have been to every notable steakhouse and/or restaurant in Tampa. This continues to be one of our favorites. While others are hit or miss, this place is consistently good. We have NEVER had a bad meal or experience here. You don't have to pay twice as much for a good meal, but that's up to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.