J. Alexander's - Tampa
913 N Dale Mabry Hwy
Tampa, FL 33609Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: (813) 354-9006
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Oscar Hernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Tampa
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
J. Alexander's - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
J. Alexander's - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)fit for foodies (37)great for lunch (35)romantic (33)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (27)notable wine list (21)hot spot (16)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- always a good experienceGailDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant is always consistent. Food is high quality and wonderfully prepared. Service is always good. Well trained servers, working as a team, always available but never hovering. Any customers requests to variations on menu items are always cheerfully fulfilled. In short, love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best visit yet!RobbyfromKANSASDined on 11/3/2014We met a friend for dinner because of his ravings, our first meal here in years. We usually make a special trip just for dessert...the carrot cake...because it's amazing. We ordered Rotisserie Chicken, Steak Brazzo and the Rib Eye. My two companions loved their meals but much to my dismay, I had to send my rib eye back for being more rare than medium rare. The manager returned with a new beautiful steak, the aroma was incredible. I cut into it with my fork and the evenings experience escalated from there. I have to admit, every bite of the entire meal was divine as we shared fork-fulls of each others meals with great delight, carrot cake and all. Service was incredible. Very satisfied from the hello at the door to goodnight.Special Features:
- ReliablegrtrxVIPDined on 11/2/2014I have not been to a J Alexander in a long time, and it was like I never left. Well prepared food, nothing really cutting edge to the menu, but well prepared, and high quality. Service was confused, we had 2 waiters as "_____ is quite busy" and the multiple servers/waiters didn't work real well for me. Portions are large.
- I return for Mac and cheeseMrsCVIPDined on 11/2/2014Like the food; love the Mac n cheese. Drive over from O-town since ours was closed. Worth the drive every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great ServiceTrainkcVIPDined on 10/31/2014Easy to get to and visited after arriving back on a flight to TPA. Great food and you have to try the artichokes - they are the best!Special Features:
- YumEatinoutVIPDined on 10/26/2014Good choices good food. Had a large meal with multiple courses enjoyed it a lotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere - Great food!CCand7Dined on 10/25/2014We've been there three times recently and the food and service is always outstanding. The service staff is one of best that I've encountered and this is obviously driven by the management team. Great job! The restaurant is almost all booth style, so it really makes for a nice dinner for 2-4 people. Anything more and your group will be split up. I would recommend asking for a booth away from the open kitchen - it tends to get a bit loud as they get busy. The steak is always cooked exactly as I order it - medium rare, and the three fish dishes that my fiancee has had have all been excellent. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent....well managedTimothyVIPDined on 10/15/2014Have been here dozens of times. Despite being a chain, despite being in an odd location...it is always excellent. They have cracked the code on team-based service. You do have a main server, but everyone takes care of you. Drink refills, fast kitchen, and the most important thing of all....delicious food. Get the fire roasted artichokes. The crab cakes are practically all crab and the Filet Mignon is as good as any steakhouse in town. Very good, well-vetted wines by the glass. I don't usually comment on this but I really love the lighting too: nice background jazz music and low lighting but care is taken to illuminate the table in front of you so you can see menus and food. Dark woods and an open kitchen add to the ambiance.Special Features:
- Great rest and amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Service and the food was great!! Defenely I'll come back, my wife and I love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!LUVGOODFOODDined on 10/13/2014First went to J Alexanders with my dinner bunch friends. We made reservations and were seated promptly. The food was fabulous. Especially liked the grilled artichoke. The steak was perfect. I went the second time as a date with my husband. Again, food was great and our service was very good. I will be returning again!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTampateejDined on 10/13/2014I had a business lunch a few days ago at J. Alexander's and had specific requests that I needed. J's took care of all of my needs, no problems and the food/service was excellent!Special Features:
- ConsistentConsistentDined on 10/10/2014JAlexanders is a wonderful restaurant. It has great ambiance, great food, and great service. The easiest way to describe the restaurant is consistent. I have always enjoyed my dining experience at this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- shouldbefatDined on 10/3/2014JA never disappoints and the service is airways great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food questionable servicedineout2Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I went to J. Alexander's seeking a good meal and quite night out without the children. From the moment we sat down we felt rushed and felt that the service was disorganized. We didn't have an ample opportunity one to look at the menu and when we ordered two glasses of wine only one came to the table. There were several servers helping at our table and it didn't seem like any of them communicated with each other. The food was good but the service was questionable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ham1Dined on 9/24/2014Restaurant was a little above average. The prices were high. It is very dark and quit noisy. The food was excellent. There was adequate parking. We were escorted to our table quickly after entering but the escort tried to seat us at a table back in the corner which we asked to be changed as was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Food was very good. The food delivery was a bit disjointed but it all showed up pretty much at the same time and was properly prepared. They seemed to have difficulty knowing who ordered what. Meal and desert were very generous portions. I would definelty go back. Ambiance was a bit noisy where we were seated.Special Features:
- Lovely business lunchMerrittcortnilDined on 9/23/2014My business partners and I entertained some out of town guests for a lunch, and this was an excellent find online. I booked here because of the reviews, and I'm glad I chose J Alexander's. The food was perfect, the service excellent, and the setting ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding and VibrantDoneEatinDined on 9/22/2014Decided to try J Alexander's out after seeing it many times while visiting Florida Orthopedic located next door. I was very impressed. Great food choices, great presentation, great attentive service. I had a special (Caesar salad with filet) and it was perfect. Food at other tables looked very nice as well. I can't wait to go back. Just wish it were closer to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProphetDined on 9/22/2014This continues to be one of the finest restaurants on the southwest Gulf Coast of Florida. The service is Outstanding and the food is always Superb. Cudos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine night with friendsMartinoDeGrubDined on 9/19/2014Food and drinks great- opentable reservation skipped an hour wait went right to table- food is great here. Music is good but you cant hear it when crowded. Wait staff mostly quite well trained but a few little things were off. Overall my friends were impressed & we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertSDined on 9/13/2014The service exceptional and the food is priced appropriately. Drinks are a good value.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceCoopDined on 9/12/2014Food and Service were best I've seen to date and I've dined at a lot of restaurants.Special Features:
- Great Lunch MenuLeeTampaDined on 9/10/2014Their lunch menu is great and their burgers are awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but noisy!MeshVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a great night... Good service, good food and great drinks. The only problem We had was the noise level. It's always an issue...but otherwise, everything was above average!Special Features:
- Outstanding atmosphere & serviceCCand7Dined on 9/6/2014We really enjoy the atmosphere and service at J. Alexanders. One of the most attentive and professional restaurant staff that I have ever experienced. The cocktails were very generous in size and not watered down. The food was delicious - from the smoked salmon dip appetizer to the rainbow trout to the NY Strip. All were wonderful. It is pretty much all booths, which is really nice for a just a couple. I would recommend making reservations as they get quite busy.Special Features:
- Always on pointbiboVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place is our staple. Vegetables are on point.Special Features:
- Great Prime RibKenTasticDined on 9/5/2014The food is always excellent and they have the Best Prime Rib in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tampaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent as always. My favorite side is the orzo and rice. No other restaurant can compete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceAdamVIPDined on 8/28/2014Consistently top notch food and service. You will always have a great meal and great service. I love to bring important business clients here because nothing ever distracts from eating a great meal and closing a deal. Recommend any seafood on the main menu, their salads, and their filet.
- Terrific dinnerDiningfamilyVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a great time, place was busy. Our server was terrific and responsive. Food good as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLouDDined on 8/16/2014Good food and the service is great. 50 characters is stupid..............................................Special Features:
- Disorganizeddining101Dined on 8/16/2014When dining at a nicer restaurant, I really prefer one waitstaff person. We had 4 possibly 5. Waitress, server, drink taker, food delivery, and then the dinners came out two ahead of the other two. She said they'd be right out. That's just disorganized. Also they sell their yummy champagne vinaigrette by the pint. I requested twice- never received. Food was very good but a bit pricey. Desserts phenomenal. Have the warm carrot cake. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodSAVORYVIPDined on 8/15/2014Consistently good food and attentive servers always make for a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Familiar surroundingsraffermVIPDined on 8/8/2014j Alexander's is one of our go-to places on a Friday night after a long week at work. The food is good. The restaurant, with its dark wood tones and comfortable high booths is quiet and peaceful. The wait staff get it--they know when to be there and when to just leave you alone. The steak, veggies and fish are always fresh and they will cook them "clean" with alittle prompting. They never mind making reasonable substitutions.Special Features:
- Good but not greatTimothyVIPDined on 8/2/2014J. Alexanders has a good menu. The New York Strip was OK...not memorable. The NYO mac and cheese was excellent. One of our guests raved about the prime rib. The Brasserie steak and fries were also well received. The service was excellent...we had a fine server and that made the visit one that we will repeat in the future.Special Features:
- The following 129 reviews are from the J. Alexander's - Tampa reviews archive.
- Wonderful food and serviceflakomaloDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I came to this restaurant for our anniversary dinner. We were very pleased with the service and the food was outstanding. The price may be a little high depending on what you get, but I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but not worth the pricetgrllyctDined on 7/27/2014It's been a little while since we've been to J. Alexanders. We were UN-pleasantly surprised to see how pricey they have gotten! I used to compare going there as an alternative to Carrabba's or Bonefish Grille in regards to pricing (mid-to-higher price points depending on what you're in the mood for), but now they are way higher than that - and for the money, I would rather go to Flemings, Roys, Ocean Prime, or another comparable restaurant. The food was pretty good, but definitely not worth the higher prices they are now charging. We probably won't be back to J. Alexanders unless we just want a burger or salad. Sorry J........ (Side note: Their veggie black bean burger ROCKS - one of the best we've had)
- Excellent food!SadnurseDined on 7/24/2014We had the deviled eggs as appetizers. Yeah sounds ridiculous but was absolutely delicious. Best prime rib ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!IslandGirlDined on 7/22/2014Everything we ate was wonderful, however, the carrot cake was to die for! Warm with dripping icing!!! Not knowing what I was in for I agreed to share it, I won't do that again! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Our waiter was excellent and the food was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.