J. Alexander's - Oak Brook
1410 16th St
Oak Brook, IL 60523Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Oak Brook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: (630) 573-8180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Spyrou
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Oak Brook
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J. Alexander's - Oak Brook reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (138)great for lunch (109)good for groups (106)romantic (88)fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (76)notable wine list (57)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (35)late-night find (32)great for outdoor dining (32)scenic view (27)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (22)Show More
- frankoVIPDined on 11/24/2014Has been wonderful very time we visit, service and food are greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2014Mandy, our service was very attentive and friendly. The food was terrific and it was a pleasant change to be able to have a conversation over lunch where you could actually hear the others in your party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frankoVIPDined on 11/23/2014Whenever we visit there we are always given wonderful service and food is always great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuziDined on 11/22/2014Very nice evening. Great food. Great service. Will definitely be back! A bit sad that the scallops were shown on the website but didn't have on menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu but still good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Was surprised to see such a limited menu with the same items offered in various options, ie, fish tacos was with salmon, fish of the day was salmon, fish sandwich was salmon. Would have been nice to see some choices. However, my guest enjoyed the burger and her only suggestion was if you served it on a softer bread/bun...the French roll was tough...almost stale. Our waitress was very attentive and we were quickly seated and served. Next time we'll try something else and hope that they have a more broad selection of options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening out for dinnerDorisDined on 11/17/2014We went out for dinner to celebrate my nephew's birthday. To our surprise, they delivered personalized menus wishing him a happy birthday with all of the day's specials listed. Great food, great service, warm friendly hospitality, we couldn't ask for more. This is my first review on Open Table I just had to give J. Alexander's team the props they deserve. From hello to have a good night, they delivered. Bravo! Five Stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaraunt!IMABEASTAPPARELDined on 11/16/2014Excellent food, dining, and service. Our server Anthony was awesome and very attentive to us which is always very important! The hostess at the front door even acknowledged us as we exited for the night which was also refreshing. We will absolutely return for many future dinings at this wonderful restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top choice for lunchMonaDined on 11/16/2014Excellent service from a young man combined with delicious food makes for a top choice for lunch in my book. He suggested the deviled egg appetizer and we unwillingly tried it and were surprised at how good it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Been going to Alexander's for about 20 years and absolutely love it. I used to work there and while some things have changed one thing hasn't and that's how awesome the food is. Love it. You have to experience it for yourself. It's pricy but not unreasonable. Overall experience Alexander's is one of my absolute favorites. We'll see you again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite!LunchLadyDined on 11/14/2014We've celebrated my special events at J Alexander's in Oakbrook over the years. Outstanding food and service. The filet is the best we've ever had....consistently. You must try the carrot cake....outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014Menu was pricey compared to similar restaurants in the area.
- Delicious2blackrabbitsDined on 11/14/2014Prime rib French dip was outstanding. Calamari was very good, but I prefer a sweet sauce, this was a tomato sauce. Redwood salad was great, loaded with fresh roasted carved chicken breast. I will definitely go back when in the Oakbrook area. Made a reservation, no waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked away gemOnTheRoadAgainDined on 11/11/2014I found J. Alexander's on OpenTable while attending a meeting in Oak Brook, what a great find! It is tucked away a bit from the mall, but has good parking and great food. I didn't expect the atmosphere to be as welcoming as it was. Had a terrific dinner with a good friend. Appreciated the ambiance, great service and terrific meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love in Nashville love in oakbrookgirluvstoeatDined on 11/8/2014They were out of crabcakes (the main reason we go.) but the Chicago Ribeye was amazing! It was a busy night so when we arrived the was a two hour wait. So we went to the car and made a reservation with opentable and was seated 20 minutes later. Our server was wonderful! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pbaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Good drinks, appetizers were great, food is usually good, but, disappointing this time. Noise level was very high, so, if you want a quiet dinner, don't go on the weekends.Special Features:
- Remarkable!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014The food was delicious each guest at my table could not stop raving about the food. We were there for an anniversary and totally enjoyed the food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- birthdaysarahbelleDined on 11/5/2014JAlexanders is great for a date night with someone special. Enjoyed the Pomegranate Martini, salmon, and rotisserie chicken. definite repeat for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Ceasar Salad made too early & soggy and too cold from refrigerator. Too garlicy barely any croutons which were too big. Entrée was fine not anything special. Coffee not good.
- lunch meetingJohnnieODined on 11/5/2014Parking is good, friendly greeting from smiling staff. Prices a little on the high side, but the food was good. I had a salad and other people had sandwiches. Everyone was more than satisfied with the quality and quantity for the price. Nice atmosphere, open airy and well lite. Got a friendly "goodbye, come again on the way out". Servers were efficient and always smiling. I would recommend this place for a business lunch or friends getting together for a upscale lunch.Special Features:
- If You Like Big Portions...BB510VIPDined on 11/4/2014I met a colleague for lunch. Our reservations were for 12:30 and the restaurant very full. I ordered one of the signature salads. It was delicious, but also very large. I had enough leftover to eat for dinner. My guest left before me so I decided to try the carrot cake which was recommended by my waitress. The slice of cake was large enough to comfortable serve 3 , maybe 4 people. It was also delicious and served warm. I had enough to take home to my family, but decided against it. It would have been nice to have smaller portions for lunch, but overall it was a good dining experience. There was one minor detail that I loved. The water was served ice cold and with no ice. Yes, it too was delicious. I will go back.Special Features:
- great great greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014The food is always fantastic, the wait staff is great, this is one of my favorite restaurants, just make a reservation on the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be coming backdrcmorVIPDined on 11/1/2014Alexander's has been an old favorite of mine, but I had been away from it for a while after a period of not great food or service. We decided to give it a try again. They have definitely improved their customer service. We were seated 15 minutes after our reservation and they gave us a free appetizer even though we had not complained. They did it spontaneously. We had a fabulous waiter, Owen, who was helpful but not intrusive. Food was great. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Always Good!WJRWVIPDined on 11/1/2014We are regular diners at J. Alexander's and the quality is good and consistent. When you server is busy another server will check to see that your needs are met.Special Features:
- Salty food and Slow servicefrancesDined on 11/1/2014Steaks were under cooker. Med-well is not completely red, unless you are at J Alexanders. Mashed potatoes were full of salt. and the server was not attentive. It made for a long dinner.Special Features:
- not what i rememberedmrswifeDined on 10/31/2014we have not been to a j alexanders since they moved out of Chicago. it was one of our favorites so when the opportunity came up to meet someone in oakbrook, we jumped at the chance to revisit it. imagine our surprise when we ordered our favorite salads and not only did my order come out wrong (which can happen) but the portions were significantly smaller and frankly the flavor was just mediocre. it is a shame that the restaurant did not live up to my memories.Special Features:
- Business LunchAlbertVIPDined on 10/30/2014Great place for lunch or dinner, food is always consistently good. The ambiance is comfortable and allows for easy conversations without straining to hear the others in your party. I had the Cajun grilled fish which was delicious, the same comment was made from the other three colleagues that I dined with.Special Features:
- OAKBROOK FAVORITESeventysSeniorDined on 10/30/2014There is no shortage of places to dine in or around Oak Brook Center, but J. Alexander's is a favorite choice of mine. It has it all - ambiance, excellent service, great food from appetizer to dessert. I would recommend reservations for both lunch and/or dinner as it does get busy even on a weekday.Special Features:
- Bad Service but decent foodSideshowDined on 10/29/2014I had the tuna steak which was average but my colleges all had prime rib and steak and raved about their food. We all agreed however that service was extremely poor. Our waitress was no where to be found. I had to get my own extra utensils, we had to order water which we thought should have been a given, and each time we wanted more beer and wine we waited 10-15 minutes to get our order. We had to ask to see a dessert menu too which is unheard of.
- PinkDined on 10/28/2014My first time at this restaurant. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wait staff :)Happpy1Dined on 10/26/2014Several servers were attentive to our table and all of our requests were handled well.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!EK2014VIPDined on 10/26/2014I recently took a relative there for her birthday and called ahead to ensure I could pick up the check. The staff could not have been more accommodating, they printed a specialized 'happy birthday' menu and the check came directly to me as I'd asked. Wonderful service and great food!Special Features:
- Great PlaceLuv2DineDined on 10/25/2014This is my go to place when I want to treat myself to a nice dinner. The prices are reasonable and the staff is very knowledgeable of the menu offerings.Special Features:
- Not as good as advertised.WishfulDinerDined on 10/25/2014J. Alexander's in Oakbrook was very crowded on Saturday evening. Despite having a reservation, there was an extended wait. Food was good, but over-priced. Portions were oversized but the prime rib was under-cooked. Service was passable.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014The bar service was excellent and the bartender was very outgoing. The wait staff was very prompt and friendly. I great place to kick back and enjoy friends without felling rushed.Special Features:
- Felt rushed the whole mealMurphymomVIPDined on 10/25/2014We usually really look forward to a special dinner at J Alexander's. This past Saturday, we were switched servers 3 times in first 5 minutes of sitting down. Our server was uneducated about basic gluten free questions. I eventually spoke to the manager to make sure my friend's food was properly handled. The manager did preface that he would do his best, but couldn't guarantee 100% gluten free which was a little unsettling. Our young, inexperienced server was constantly trying to rush our meal along and it was very obvious she wanted to turn the table. We hope this was a one time issue because we normally enjoy the food, ambience and service here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!OccasionaldinerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Again this place was wonderful. Have not been back to Alexander's since the summer. Took our son and his girlfriend. The steak was perfectly cooked, the two trout specials were superb and my husband's ribs were, as always, delicious. We all cleaned our plates! Desserts are large, fresh, and out of this world!Special Features:
- Great food and great atmosphereMikeyDined on 10/22/2014We stopped in for dinner on our way home from the airport. This is one of our favorite restaurants in the Oakbrook area. We live 40 miles away, so we don't often get a chance to dine here. The prime rib sandwich is one of our favorite meals. It keeps us coming back for more!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Whenever I have out of town guests, this is the first place I think to take them. Food and wine are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restuarant, lacks refinementjbwarrenDined on 10/20/2014I enjoyed the food at J. Alexander's but was suprised at the service level. I was served by 4-5 different servers, and most of them did little to provide a welcoming experience. The Manager was nice upon arriving, and greeted us warmly. However, the serve staff lacked refinement and warmth. The food was great and came out quickly. There was no aknowledgement of my fathers birthday despite noting it in my reservation.Special Features:
- My Daughter's 13th Birthday DinnerFather2013DayDined on 10/20/2014J Alexanders in Oakbrook provides Superior Customer Service!! Thank you so much!Special Features: