J. Alexander's - Oak Brook
1410 16th St
Oak Brook, IL 60523Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Oak Brook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 630-573-8180x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Spyrou
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Oak Brook
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J. Alexander's - Oak Brook reviews from OpenTable diners
240 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (116)good for groups (86)great for lunch (83)romantic (73)fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (66)notable wine list (56)great for outdoor dining (28)vibrant bar scene (26)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (23)scenic view (22)great for brunch (20)hot spot (16)Show More
- AndyAndyDined on 9/29/2014We celebrated a birthday with 8 guests. The round table was perfect for conversation and the server efficiently handled the orders in a timely fashion. Dinner was a lovely, comfortable experience with just the right amount of lighting for relaxing dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The three of us each had the Steak Maui with mashed potatoes. Everything was outstanding! For dessert, we shared one gigantic piece of carrot cake. Yes, we paid for the steaks at $33 each. I wonder how they can charge so much for a marinated rib eye steak?Special Features:
- eathereoftenDined on 9/28/2014Service is great - attentive but not rushed. Nice variety on menu. Perfect spot after Drury Lane theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDinergalDined on 9/27/2014I come for great food, especially the spinach dip! The service was especially good this last time. It was the first time for my friends and they were also pleased with the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the crab cakes...OakbrookmavenDined on 9/27/2014This was my second dining experience at Alexander's Oak Brook. I went for the crab cakes...they did not disappoint. The food was amazing. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazinggoodfoodgoodbudgetDined on 9/27/2014We went out to celebrate my fiance's birthday. They even had custom specials menus printed with "happy birthday!" At the top! As a server myself, I pay attention to the service, and it was phenomenal! We had an appetizer, 2 entrees, and dessert, and wouldn't change a single thing. The artichokes were incredible, prime rib was very well priced (with amazing sauces), the cilantro shrimp had a great bite, and the key lime pie was the real deal with homemade whipped topping. I had two friends recommend this restaurant to me, and I'll be paying it forward by recommending to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Only complaint would be that it is very noisy.Special Features:
- Consistently delicious goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014One of our favorites! Great food. Great attention to detail. Great service. Queso dip is delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestEnjoyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Prime rib is chewy, grissly, dry, and extremely salty. Food quality is on par with low end fast food.Special Features:
- mizzwizzVIPDined on 9/23/2014J. Alexander's crusted haddock is not to be missed. Reasonable prices for tasty entrees.Special Features:
- SPECTACULAR!RCGLewis1Dined on 9/20/2014The dining experience was absolutely wonderful! The overall service was great. Thanks for adding to my special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food.jtlarkDined on 9/20/2014We want in on a Saturday evening seated fast. Great service food was hot. Great tasting. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendsILAZWIDinersVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had an outstanding get together w friends. Excellent service excellent food. Excellent dining experience for a saturday lunchSpecial Features:
- NeverCookDined on 9/18/2014The food was great. The server wasn't on top of things. Difficulty finding her when needed. Drinks took a long time coming to the table.Special Features:
- A pleasant very experienceluv2feastDined on 9/16/2014Me and my guest had a wonderful dinning experience. Your servers were warm and friendly, and our food was brought to us in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Always good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014J. Alexanders is a family favorite spot. Maui ribeye was excellent. Prime Rib is always good, and enough for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and friendlypath70Dined on 9/14/2014we enjoy the food, the servers and the beautiful inside and outside...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationsshortyDined on 9/13/2014I made reservations for a group of 5. We arrived 15 minutes early and were told that it would be a little bit. No problem, we were early. Half an hour later and many people being taken, we were still waiting. We waited 45 minutes after our original reservation time. During this time, even walk-ins were being seated. The manager apologized and said that the table was getting ready to pay their bill (he said this many times). He comped the appetizers but I can't believe there is only one table in this establishment that can accommodate 5 people. On a better note...food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Worst service we had in a long time. Took 10 minutes for waitress to take our drink order. Took another 15 minutes to get water. I ordered prime rib with horseradish and they didn't bring the horseradish until I had 2 bites left of my prime rib. Manager never stopped by our table. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner - Special OccasionBirthdayDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the dinner, it was hot and the food was excellent. Our waiter was very helpful with his recommendations of the wine list.Special Features:
- Good food and Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014We were seated about 15 minutes after our reservation with the hostess apologizing as she showed us to our table. Immediately followed by the manager Brian who again apologized and offered to comp us drinks or an appetizer. We did not think the wait excessive, but on his insistence we accepted his recommendation of fire-grilled artichokes - they were outstanding. The food when it arrived - timed perfectly with the wines and removal of the appetizer and salad - were generous and cooked perfectly. Throughout the meal the wait staff appeared and disappeared like wraiths - at the exact moment you needed them - allowing diners to enjoy the meal and each other's company. We will definitly return even though there are good restaurants nearer home.Special Features:
- Cautious Recommendation4evrFlyDined on 9/12/2014I would recommend this restaurant with caution. We tried to order 4 different items off the menu and was informed that they were out of it for the night. It was 7p on a Friday night which I would consider prime dinner time and they had already run out of food. This isn't a mom and pop establishment so I was greatly surprised that the items they listed on there special of the day wouldn't be available. I was extremely disappointed that I couldn't get what I was actually craving. However the appetizers we ordered were great but my entre wasn't anything to write home about. It tasted very good but was also basic chicken and mash potatoes similar to Boston Market but the carrot cake was to die for. The staff was also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Respectful Birthday ResturantPaymetoDineDined on 9/12/2014I wanted to take my husband somewhere to celebrate his birthday without the song and the embarrassing what nots---at his request. How perfect! The made up a special menu for him-great keepsake (for me to remember where we went and what we did!) The food was great, the service was great and did I mention that the food was great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pros & ConsbirthdayboyDined on 9/12/2014Pros: User Friendly On-line reservations Dined Early (4:00) so no waiting Table service was friendly; food delivered quickly Cons: Celebrating birthday, asked for something (i,e, dessert with candle) - could not accomodate Most restaurants provide bread with meal - none provided Asked if prime rib was lean - reply was positive - it was not lean - it had a fair amount of fat and parts were chewy Served portions were average Pricey
- Consistently Good FoodWestBurbFoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014It had been awhile since my husband and I had eaten at J. Alexander's. It was a weeknight so I was a bit surprised at how busy the place was. However, since I'd used OpenTable to reserve our spot we were seated almost immediately. I remembered the food being good and this time did not disappoint. I had the barbequed ribs and my husband had a burger and we both really enjoyed our meals. The service was spot on and the carrot cake was divine!Special Features:
- J Alexander reviewJoank1Dined on 9/6/2014Even though our meals met a computer glitch and not made, we were compensated with getting our appetizer, glass of wine comped and we got our desert comped because it was my hubby's birthday. Food was excellent! We had the salmon dip as appetizer..delicious!! I had grilled pork tenderloin with a Thai bang bang sauce and my husband had the Tuscan steak. Both sooo good. Desert was raspberry white chocolate cheese cake. It was enough for both of us to have two servings from it. And one of the best cheese cakes I've ever had !! Thank you J Alexander's!! Even with the computer mishap we had a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak Brook's Hidden GemRoseDined on 9/3/2014There for a birthday; we received the specials on a menu with "Happy Birthday, Pat" - a very nice touch. It's very comfortable; a nice place to have a leisurely dinner. The menu is outstanding. Salads are big enough to split. Our server was very helpful with suggestions but a little too "in our face" - felt like we had to make quick decisions about what we wanted to eat and drink. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At JAlexfrankoDined on 9/2/2014People always go beyond to serive and make sure all is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsTCU596Dined on 8/31/2014J. Alexander has never been disappointing. The service is great, the atmosphere is friendly, the food is incredible, the desserts are divine. Three recommendations. First, the calamari with its marinara sauce is flavorful and well seasoned. Next, the roasted chicken is perfect combination of simple flavors. Lastly, the carrot cake is my favorite: warm and not-too-sweet gooey frosting.Special Features:
- J alexandersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Food was good and service was very good. Outdoor dining was pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDineoutoftenDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is fantastic. Always has great consistent food, and the service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Not a repeat performanceDatenightVIPDined on 8/30/2014Truly a disappointing meal we had Scottish Salmon (farm raised) and Boston Cod. Both pieces of fish lacked texture and taste. The side dishes of Orzo and Couscous were tasty and managed to salvage a bad meal. The wait staff was extremely cordial but his attention to detail was lacking. Bottom line is there are too many better restaurants to every go back.
- MikeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Service was outstanding. Food was grear also. A bit pricey otherwise I'd be a more frequent visitor. Great for special occassions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it use to beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We have been coming here for years, but there have been a lot of changes to the menu & food. The croissants were a staple as far as I am concerned, they do not offer them any longer. No more lemonade, chicken salad only available on Thursdays. My fries & burger were very salty. As for the Alex salad, the prep is done differently. I noticed it's not as busy as before, I know why now. I know changes can be good, but it's not what it use to be and it shows. Very disappointed in the food, but the service is still great.Special Features:
- Mostly DelightedCBENTSDined on 8/28/2014Very good looking place, nice bar (nothing special), clean, noisy. Overall, food was very good, and I was pleased with the experience and would return. At times the service lagged with regards to our cocktails (not sure if it was the bar or the server). Party of four, all ordered salads which we're barely half eaten when our entrée arrived. Server's veiled attempt at humor about the kitchen getting the food out too fast not appreciated. Excellent wine selection, and all the top shelf spirits represented. It would serve them well, I think, if they stepped up their craft beer selection. Even if they focused on the west suburban scene, it would be a vast improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAlexandersfrankoDined on 8/27/2014As always food wonderful, wine great and staff beyond compare.Special Features:
- WonderfulDfabulousDined on 8/26/2014My family had a wonderful dining experience August 26th. My kids share the same birthday, August 26th and we went to dinner to celebrate! The menus were GREAT and I think they felt very special. The personalized menus are really an extra effort and was a nice surprise. The food was delicious. We have lived in the area for 30 years and can't believe we have never tried J. Alexander's. We will definitely be back. Most importantly, our server, MEGHAN was incredibly professional. I can't remember the last time I had such excellent service. My husband and I have dined at Ditka's, Gibson's, recently Perry's seafood and steakhouse, and MEGHAN out shined them all. Please let her know that we were impressed. Thank you again for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Celebration worthySuburbaniteDined on 8/25/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed every morsel of our respective dinners. I was a little nervous when told the Tuscan Strip steak would be cooked medium, as I like it medium rare. It was the most tender NY Strip I have ever eaten! Others had Filet Mignon, prime rib and ribeye and all were excellent. Wines were noteworthy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AgainjalexandersDined on 8/22/2014It is unusual to be able to say that a restaurant has never failed you, not even once. I have been to J Alexander's many times and it has always lived up to expectations.Special Features:
- Great food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014The Mac & cheese, salmon and swordfish lunch specials were outstanding. We enjoyed Gabby's wine and lunch recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.