J. Alexander's - Northbrook
4077 Lake Cook Rd
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Northbrook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 8475643093x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday - 11:00am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday - 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Montana Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please call and ask to speak to a manager about booking a space for a private party, meeting, etc.
A word from J. Alexander's - Northbrook
J. Alexander's is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads as well as daily chef recommendations. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
J. Alexander's - Northbrook - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
J. Alexander's - Northbrook reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (66)good for groups (60)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (41)fit for foodies (38)vibrant bar scene (28)kid-friendly (20)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)romantic (10)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- Not Very RomanticMsGiGiDined on 10/17/2014The food and service was fantastic here. There are a lot of people who appear to come with their family, friends who are in town, and a few couples. All in all, I enjoyed the food and our server was delightful, just not somewhere to go for romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereElizDined on 10/16/2014Food has good options and many good drink options to add to the male.Special Features:
- LunchCharlieDined on 10/14/2014I have had many lunch meetings here and all were a good experience from food to service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Priced Under DeliveredTink2012Dined on 10/11/2014I would never go back, extremely over priced. Purchased 4 drinks, 1 which was a beer and $40 later my jaw dropped. Prices are outrageous!!! Chicken undercooked, prime rib very fatty and raw. Never got our sodas refilled. Poor selection!!! Had 8:15 reservations and our table wasn't ready!! Extremely loud and very disappointing!!!
- Seafood was freshBob123Dined on 10/11/2014Good place for seafood in the Northern burbs. 3 of the 4 people in my party ordered fish. We were each more than satisfied! 4th person had prime rib - which was nicely served. We sat for a while and talked and did not feel rushed. We've been to J Alexander's before - at this and at other locations. Always satisfied, always good food. We will return.Special Features:
- DisappointedKdubzVIPDined on 10/11/2014I chose J Alexander's for our weekly date night dinner. On a packed Saturday night the lights were apparently malfunctioning. Every light in the restaurant was as bright as could be. I understand that things happen and cannot be controlled. I was extremely disappointed in the management. The manager came to our table and said "I'm sorry, the lights are malfunctioning and will be fixed tomorrow", and then rudely stood there staring at me. After anything I asked I received the same robotic response. Our $150 romantic dinner turned into a race to finish our dinner and leave. Not to mention my fish was cold and the Mac & cheese was under cooked and soup like.
- Second Time AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Our second visit to J Alexander's did not disappoint. Exceptionally attentive service at the bar and dining room. Candle-lit cozy booth in the warm attractive dining room enabled us to have a good conversation. Fish dinner specials were delicious, hot and healthy. The "carrot cake" for dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mandfDined on 10/11/2014We had a party of 6. We booked early to avoid the noise that usually starts later. That enabled us to visit easily. The wait staff was very accommadating--we were given separate checks by couples and shared meals easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a little pricey.RobobbiDined on 10/10/2014The food was good, the service just fair......but I thought it was a little pricey. $19.00 for a French Dip sandwich is outrageous to me!Special Features:
- Solid but not spectacularATrainVIPDined on 10/10/2014Found everything about J. Alexander's to be good. The soup, sandwich, and fries -- all good, but nothing stood out as exceptional. Fish sandwich was skimpy. Our service was very good throughout, and the loud room made it a bit difficult to hear during our business lunch. Prices were high for the quality, I think. I would have thought at this price point, bread would be provided. Lunch for 4 with no cocktails was over $100 -- and everybody had salads or sandwiches, plus soup or a side salad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance but mehhhh servicehawksfan8Dined on 10/8/2014When we come in couldn't see host desk and it was very loud! We sat right by the entrance booth so it was a bit chilly. There were about 3 people who were taking care of us and then our waitress did not have the best of upbeat attitude like the rest. The food was great none the less, I got the filet skewers with rice and vegetables, Yummm. I definitely would return for that but maybe another section....and server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/8/2014As soon as we sat down,the waiter arrived and wanted our drink order and appetizers. We were there with out of town relatives and we're trying to talk and catch up. The waiter came back every five minutes pressuring us to order. This was a weeknight early and it wasn't that crowded. After we ordered,the dinners arrived about three minutes after we started our salads. Had to send the entrees back as we refused to be rushed. The food was good but the overall experience was unpleasant. We will not return.Special Features:
- Excellent choice65dinerDined on 10/4/2014Service is super! Went there for mom's 97th birthday. Waiter John doted on mom, made her feel special. Service always excellent. Prime rib yummy. Nice decor. But the employees make it especially great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayfairbutimpartialDined on 9/29/2014Thai Kai salad was neither thai or kai... presented well but tasted like bland cabbage. Waiter was slow to bring check which irritated my client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner J. Alexander'sAuntmackiDined on 9/28/2014We did not particularly enjoy the evening at J. Alexander's. When my husband complained that the meat in his rib eye sandwich was tough, the waiter went to get a manager rather than immediately taking the food back to the kitchen. The sandwich was replaced, but it felt like my husband was a complainer. He definitely is not. The atmosphere in J. Alexander's is not warm and inviting. Prices are high for what you get. Part of our party, however, like the restaurant and the food and frequent it often.
- Always reliableeatingoutDined on 9/25/2014I really like this restaurant - the food is reliable and the service is very good.Special Features:
- will definitely go backsushiloverDined on 9/23/2014The service was wonderful, the food was delicious with a wide selection of things to choose from on the menu. We were celebrating two birthdays and they made the evening special. I'll Definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The service was not good I felt as though I was rushed through dinner. Reservations were at 7, drink, appetizer and food we received are bill by 7:45. The hostess took are check not asking if we needed change or if the bill was good. Waiter had to come back to table. The manager apologized but I was already disappointed with the way I was treated. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Business LunchBusinessLunchDined on 9/11/2014We hosted a business lunch with someone we had never met and it happened to be her birthday. The special touch of printing Happy Birthday on the menu and bringing her a birthday dessert was awesome. Our server and the care and concern shown by EVERY service that walked by was fantastic! I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- Good prime ribdascherDined on 9/9/2014The prime rib sandwich for lunch was really good. Excellent flavor and not too fatty. My only complaint is the fries. They were not cooked very well, and I'm not a big fan of the shoestring fries. Someone else in our party had the carved beef sandwich with au jus that was also excellent. Everything else was great!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceVeggieFoodieDined on 9/8/2014Steak entree was cooked to perfection. Veggie burger is the best anywhere. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 10teriVIPDined on 9/7/2014We are frequent theater goers and theater is over around 7:30 pm. J. Alexanders is a great fit for our large group. Everyone enjoyed their meal from prime rib, filet, french dip veggie burgers, roasted chicken, etc.Special Features:
- Well rounded fareJimbo6VIPDined on 9/6/2014Competent courteous staff; eclectic menu; well schooled chefs and pleasant surroundings. A three-base hit.Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 9/4/2014As always the food and setting was very enjoyable. Our reservation was at 9:15 PM and the restaurant closes at 10 PM. As the restaurant was almost empty, aside from a couple of other tables, it was much quieter than usual, which was enjoyable. We are appreciative that the restaurant is open on the later side with having had picked up my father from O'Hare at 8:45 PM. We made our reservation on time. The service became less attentive as it went after the closing time. Of course the restaurant should not offer to take a reservation if they're going to start to ignore the customers before finishing the meal. I understand about the staff wanting to get home, but this is part of a restaurant business.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with lots of smilesBobbypastrami13VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food was great; especially when I found that they still make the Mr Jacks homemade chicken tender platter. Great service especially a wait person named Lauren.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Turkey BurgerAnonymousDined on 8/29/2014I was at the restaurant Friday night and had the turkey burger. This is, by far, is one of the best turkey burgers out there. Thick, juicy, and full of flavor. While it comes with french fries, I opted for the orzo and wild rice salad. Also very good. Of course a good glass of Pinot Noir rounds out the meal.Special Features:
- Always goodfriendVIPDined on 8/27/2014We always find this a good place to go for lunch or dinner or late evening.Special Features:
- SallyDined on 8/20/2014J. Alexanders is a great, lively place....the service is so fast that you feel like they are highly motivated to turnover the tables as fast a possible. I have had several great salads there in the past. This time, I ordered a Turker Burger....it was so dry, I could barely swallow it. Not good.
- Alvin1Dined on 8/18/2014Our reservation was honored immediately. Upon being seated our wait staff brought the menus, utensils, napkins, water, bread and butter and ask us for drink order. The specials for the day were explained and our waiter took our order. Within a few minutes our salads came to the table. They were eye appealing an very fresh. Within an appropriate period of time our entrees were presented. All orders were as requested and like the salads very eye pleasing. All entrees were prepared as ordered and fresh and warm. The meals were excellent and it was a very enjoyable evening and dining experience.Special Features:
- Saturday NightWaltDined on 8/16/2014Went to dinner with friends and needed to leave on time for a concert. Service was fast and the food was great. Everything worked out perfectly. We have all dined here before and we will all come back again.Special Features:
- very delicious and great varietyAH5dinerDined on 8/16/2014There were a lot of different choices for entrees from great salads, sandwiches to bigger dishes. All were excellent. Lots of unique sides too. the 6 of us each really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Love the fresh and savory options!mjfiveoDined on 8/13/2014The Chef delivers excellent choices and quality dishes every time! Thank you :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant lunch sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Being the only restaurant for miles, right in the middle of Northbrook's corporate campuses, this restaurant is great for meeting with business associates and friends alike. Hearty portion sizes. Also very accommodating for visitors with infants. Friendly wait staff and prompt sleeting. A real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsi8outDined on 8/11/2014I love J. Alexanders. I first dined at one in San Antonio, TX. and loved it. I was thrilled to find one in Northbrook, IL! I have dined there for both lunch and dinner. The food is fresh, service is friendly, and quality is consistent. They don't mind if you want to take a little time over a glass of wine at dinner. And, during lunch, the food is served so quickly that my guests thought it must be pre made and quickly decided that it was too fresh to have been pre made. J. Alexanders is one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PampicDined on 8/8/2014We are regulars at the restaurant and love it! Good food, great service!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchNetAppLunchDined on 8/8/2014Had a great business lunch with colleagues and clients on Friday, the staff was excellent, the orders were delivered remarkably quickly, and the food was excellent. Sat outside on the patio. When dining around Northbrook this is one to keep on the short list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusinessFloodyDined on 8/6/2014This is a very good option for a business lunch. You need reservations. Try to make them for before 12:00 as it completely fills up. Very nice salads. Excellent warm bread. Very attentive servicSpecial Features:
- Love it here but...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/5/2014for the noise and lighting. the food is delicious every time and the service is good. your glass is never empty and someone is always on hand. BUT...it gets very loud very fast and the lighting is so dim its difficult to see eachother.Special Features:
- Food carries the dayJimbo6VIPDined on 8/2/2014This large barn-like structure with high ceilings and noise levels to match is saved by the quality of the food preparation.Special Features:
- Food & serviceHarrietDined on 8/2/2014Prime rib sandwich always outstanding, very tender. Service is very good & friendly.Special Features: