J. Alexander's - Northbrook
4077 Lake Cook Rd
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Northbrook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: (847) 564-3093
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday - 11:00am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday - 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Montana Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please call and ask to speak to a manager about booking a space for a private party, meeting, etc.
A word from J. Alexander's - Northbrook
J. Alexander's is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads as well as daily chef recommendations. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
J. Alexander's - Northbrook - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
J. Alexander's - Northbrook reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (74)good for groups (71)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (43)fit for foodies (40)vibrant bar scene (35)great for outdoor dining (20)kid-friendly (20)hot spot (19)late-night find (18)romantic (13)notable wine list (11)great for brunch (10)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great place, slow servicecvjbVIPDined on 11/24/2014came in on a Monday night with a group of 7, waiter seemed new and somewhat confused, slow and not knowledgeable on the menu, when our dinner came it came in pieces. The first people serviced food was cold by the time the last received their food. Maybe just a bad night, will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Separate checks should be available to ALL groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014The ambiance was wonderful. We were There to celebrate a birthday. The food was good. It was much better last visit. Ordered the same thing. Steak and fries. Steak was probably twice the size on the previous visit? Very strange that the lady beside me said the EXACT same thing about the steak. She too ordered the steak and fries. Time for checks to come. Waitress said 4 checks max. Could not get the checks correct. Seemed really flustered in the process. Had the manager come and write everything down. Then he corrected the checks. This took about 40 minutes total! By this time EVERYONE was ready to leave. No dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 11/22/2014I like the restaurant but the prime rib this time was very fatty. Three out of the 4 had Prime RibSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a good lunch experienceDavidVIPDined on 11/21/2014Close to work and clients, J Alex is very efficient, something that is highly prized at lunch. When I have time to linger they don't make you feel rushed. They can match their service to your needs, which is a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so muchXXXXXXXDined on 11/17/2014Enjoyed meals at this restaurant before, so maybe the night we were there was just an off night. Staff is always polite, but service was poor and food was 'meh'.
- An off night for an otherwise reliable choiceNickKVIPDined on 11/15/2014We've been to this restaurant a number of times and had good experiences but, on this most recent visit, they were obviously having an off night. Though there were open tables when we arrived a few minutes before our 7:45 reservation, we had to wait to be seated. The smoked salmon appetizer was very good, but that's where the good experience ended. My son ordered the rattlesnake pasta. It was incredibly spicy. My wife ordered a steak - medium rare. It arrived rare - and tough. After a number of minutes went by, we finally tracked down our waiter who took the steak back. It returned a few minutes later (after I had finished my entree) and it was virtually unchanged. To the restaurant's credit, they did not charge us for the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When average is popularBobbypastrami13VIPDined on 11/12/2014The more expensive the entre, the more below average the food becomes. Such is the case with the prime rib and others. The best item on the menu isn't even on the menu. Referring to their old favorite chicken tender platter. Offers 2 sides and is tasty and filling. Don't understand why you have to ask for that to know that it's available. The noise level is over the top and makes conversation hear impossible.Special Features:
- Good for a Business Lunchjdtitus79Dined on 11/10/2014We took a client to J. Alexander's for lunch. It was the perfect spot for the occasion. The food and service were good, and we were able to have a conversation without having to talk loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014The food was better than the last time I went there. I was surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Here's your Hat, What your Hurry?AdvisoryMan1Dined on 11/5/2014Went for a business lunch and the server was relentless in taking our order. Kept coming back every few minutes asking if we were ready. Food came out quickly and after a passing inquiry about dessert, out came the bill. I understand that lunch is a busy time but I hate feeling rushed when I'm having a business discussion.Special Features:
- Service so soMarioVIPDined on 11/2/2014Our server was not very engaging considering the restaurant was pretty empty. Food was good.
- Mike from SarasotaMikeKDined on 11/1/2014Adhered to all requests, round table for 8 people, separate checks Easily accommodated , portion size Was good value for price paid. A little too noisy for easy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happydinerDined on 11/1/2014I met my nephew for a L - O - N - G lunch to catch up. The Staff was WONDERFUL by letting us just sit, talk, drink coffee, share a marvelous dessert FOR HOURS. It was a terrific experience and I'm so grateful to have had that time with my nephew. Thanks, J.Alexander's !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to meet clientsswfoodmusingsDined on 10/31/2014Always enjoy both food and ambiance. Ideal place for this particluar client given the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow servicehovoDined on 10/29/2014and no attention after meal, plates sat for 15 min
- Not worth the price chargedJoy17VIPDined on 10/28/2014I was very surprised to see that they changed the menu and raised the prices so dramatically. Others in my party also agreed, their food was not worth a $17.00 salad or french dip sandwich priced the same. There are too many other great restaurants in the area for those prices and my party and I will not be back.
- GeorgeVIPDined on 10/27/2014As always, a very enjoyable meal and comfortable place to meet a friend or a place to talk business.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSuburbanDinerDined on 10/25/2014We've been here several times so were disappointed in the service this night. I reserved through Open Table and although we were there 10 minutes early, we weren't seated for 40 minutes. They gave us an appetizer to make up for it. We were seated in the bar area, near the kitchen - so it was noisy and bright, unlike the main dining area. We had to ask for silverware, and flag the waiter down as he went by our table to get him to stop if we needed anything. Most of us enjoyed the food but I would not call it at a "fit for foodies" level of cuisine. This is a great location to meet far flung friends as it's right off the expressway. We may need to check out some other restaurants in the area for next time.
- Good neighborhood placeJd99Dined on 10/25/2014Upscale American fare - consistently too much salt on entrees - but overall enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeLuv2dineDined on 10/25/2014We all 4 enjoyed our dinner selections and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereNickVIPDined on 10/24/2014We are so happy that this restaurant is close to where we live and work. Great food, great service, generous portions of food and drink, friendly and fun people working there. We love going to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableNancyMantyDined on 10/23/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. The service was great. Slightly noisy but we could still talk. A fun place to go.Special Features:
- Everyone's here for lunchItalianguruDined on 10/23/2014This is a popular spot for lunch during they week, but the staff and kitchen are apparently used to it. The crowd I handled easily and service never suffers, whether you have two or ten in your party. Somehow they always gets the order right and even with a large group, the meals come out at the same time.Special Features:
- Not Very RomanticMsGiGiDined on 10/17/2014The food and service was fantastic here. There are a lot of people who appear to come with their family, friends who are in town, and a few couples. All in all, I enjoyed the food and our server was delightful, just not somewhere to go for romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereElizDined on 10/16/2014Food has good options and many good drink options to add to the male.Special Features:
- LunchCharlieDined on 10/14/2014I have had many lunch meetings here and all were a good experience from food to service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free? Think twice.nickel99Dined on 10/13/2014We have always enjoyed J. Alexander's when we have gone there before, which has been about once a year for the last several years. However, this time when we mentioned our need to eat gluten free, we were met with "we don't have any gluten free options." I'm sure their lawyers made them say this, but it really came across as a feeling that they'd rather not have to deal with us. It was really hard to figure out what, if anything, we could have, and they didn't really seem to care. If this wasn't my parents' favorite restaurant, we would have left on the spot. We ended up eating there safely, but next time we'll go to Wildfire, which has a whole gluten free menu from which we can choose clear options.Special Features:
- Over Priced Under DeliveredTink2012Dined on 10/11/2014I would never go back, extremely over priced. Purchased 4 drinks, 1 which was a beer and $40 later my jaw dropped. Prices are outrageous!!! Chicken undercooked, prime rib very fatty and raw. Never got our sodas refilled. Poor selection!!! Had 8:15 reservations and our table wasn't ready!! Extremely loud and very disappointing!!!
- Seafood was freshBob123Dined on 10/11/2014Good place for seafood in the Northern burbs. 3 of the 4 people in my party ordered fish. We were each more than satisfied! 4th person had prime rib - which was nicely served. We sat for a while and talked and did not feel rushed. We've been to J Alexander's before - at this and at other locations. Always satisfied, always good food. We will return.Special Features:
- DisappointedKdubzVIPDined on 10/11/2014I chose J Alexander's for our weekly date night dinner. On a packed Saturday night the lights were apparently malfunctioning. Every light in the restaurant was as bright as could be. I understand that things happen and cannot be controlled. I was extremely disappointed in the management. The manager came to our table and said "I'm sorry, the lights are malfunctioning and will be fixed tomorrow", and then rudely stood there staring at me. After anything I asked I received the same robotic response. Our $150 romantic dinner turned into a race to finish our dinner and leave. Not to mention my fish was cold and the Mac & cheese was under cooked and soup like.
- MealZanteDined on 10/11/2014Food was well prepared and tasty. The chocolate fudge cake was too rich...more fudge than cake...carrot cake was excellent Husband had prime rib done the way he wanted...I had a steak which was excellent and friends had their prime rib well done as they like. They liked their wine and I enjoyed my amaretto stone sour...service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Our second visit to J Alexander's did not disappoint. Exceptionally attentive service at the bar and dining room. Candle-lit cozy booth in the warm attractive dining room enabled us to have a good conversation. Fish dinner specials were delicious, hot and healthy. The "carrot cake" for dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mandfDined on 10/11/2014We had a party of 6. We booked early to avoid the noise that usually starts later. That enabled us to visit easily. The wait staff was very accommadating--we were given separate checks by couples and shared meals easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a little pricey.RobobbiDined on 10/10/2014The food was good, the service just fair......but I thought it was a little pricey. $19.00 for a French Dip sandwich is outrageous to me!Special Features:
- Solid but not spectacularATrainVIPDined on 10/10/2014Found everything about J. Alexander's to be good. The soup, sandwich, and fries -- all good, but nothing stood out as exceptional. Fish sandwich was skimpy. Our service was very good throughout, and the loud room made it a bit difficult to hear during our business lunch. Prices were high for the quality, I think. I would have thought at this price point, bread would be provided. Lunch for 4 with no cocktails was over $100 -- and everybody had salads or sandwiches, plus soup or a side salad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance but mehhhh servicehawksfan8Dined on 10/8/2014When we come in couldn't see host desk and it was very loud! We sat right by the entrance booth so it was a bit chilly. There were about 3 people who were taking care of us and then our waitress did not have the best of upbeat attitude like the rest. The food was great none the less, I got the filet skewers with rice and vegetables, Yummm. I definitely would return for that but maybe another section....and server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/8/2014As soon as we sat down,the waiter arrived and wanted our drink order and appetizers. We were there with out of town relatives and we're trying to talk and catch up. The waiter came back every five minutes pressuring us to order. This was a weeknight early and it wasn't that crowded. After we ordered,the dinners arrived about three minutes after we started our salads. Had to send the entrees back as we refused to be rushed. The food was good but the overall experience was unpleasant. We will not return.Special Features:
- GreatBonesVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great for business lunches. Never crowded at 1 pm. Tables are quiet enough to hear your guests speak. Food is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice65dinerDined on 10/4/2014Service is super! Went there for mom's 97th birthday. Waiter John doted on mom, made her feel special. Service always excellent. Prime rib yummy. Nice decor. But the employees make it especially great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayfairbutimpartialDined on 9/29/2014Thai Kai salad was neither thai or kai... presented well but tasted like bland cabbage. Waiter was slow to bring check which irritated my client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.