J. Alexander's - Northbrook
4077 Lake Cook Rd
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Northbrook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 8475643093x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday - 11:00am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday - 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Montana Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please call and ask to speak to a manager about booking a space for a private party, meeting, etc.
A word from J. Alexander's - Northbrook
J. Alexander's is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads as well as daily chef recommendations. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
J. Alexander's - Northbrook - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
J. Alexander's - Northbrook reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (68)good for groups (52)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (45)fit for foodies (39)vibrant bar scene (32)kid-friendly (24)great for outdoor dining (22)romantic (13)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The service was not good I felt as though I was rushed through dinner. Reservations were at 7, drink, appetizer and food we received are bill by 7:45. The hostess took are check not asking if we needed change or if the bill was good. Waiter had to come back to table. The manager apologized but I was already disappointed with the way I was treated. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Business LunchBusinessLunchDined on 9/11/2014We hosted a business lunch with someone we had never met and it happened to be her birthday. The special touch of printing Happy Birthday on the menu and bringing her a birthday dessert was awesome. Our server and the care and concern shown by EVERY service that walked by was fantastic! I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- Good prime ribdascherDined on 9/9/2014The prime rib sandwich for lunch was really good. Excellent flavor and not too fatty. My only complaint is the fries. They were not cooked very well, and I'm not a big fan of the shoestring fries. Someone else in our party had the carved beef sandwich with au jus that was also excellent. Everything else was great!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceVeggieFoodieDined on 9/8/2014Steak entree was cooked to perfection. Veggie burger is the best anywhere. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 10teriVIPDined on 9/7/2014We are frequent theater goers and theater is over around 7:30 pm. J. Alexanders is a great fit for our large group. Everyone enjoyed their meal from prime rib, filet, french dip veggie burgers, roasted chicken, etc.Special Features:
- Well rounded fareJimbo6VIPDined on 9/6/2014Competent courteous staff; eclectic menu; well schooled chefs and pleasant surroundings. A three-base hit.Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 9/4/2014As always the food and setting was very enjoyable. Our reservation was at 9:15 PM and the restaurant closes at 10 PM. As the restaurant was almost empty, aside from a couple of other tables, it was much quieter than usual, which was enjoyable. We are appreciative that the restaurant is open on the later side with having had picked up my father from O'Hare at 8:45 PM. We made our reservation on time. The service became less attentive as it went after the closing time. Of course the restaurant should not offer to take a reservation if they're going to start to ignore the customers before finishing the meal. I understand about the staff wanting to get home, but this is part of a restaurant business.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with lots of smilesBobbypastrami13VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food was great; especially when I found that they still make the Mr Jacks homemade chicken tender platter. Great service especially a wait person named Lauren.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Turkey BurgerAnonymousDined on 8/29/2014I was at the restaurant Friday night and had the turkey burger. This is, by far, is one of the best turkey burgers out there. Thick, juicy, and full of flavor. While it comes with french fries, I opted for the orzo and wild rice salad. Also very good. Of course a good glass of Pinot Noir rounds out the meal.Special Features:
- Always goodfriendVIPDined on 8/27/2014We always find this a good place to go for lunch or dinner or late evening.Special Features:
- SallyDined on 8/20/2014J. Alexanders is a great, lively place....the service is so fast that you feel like they are highly motivated to turnover the tables as fast a possible. I have had several great salads there in the past. This time, I ordered a Turker Burger....it was so dry, I could barely swallow it. Not good.
- Alvin1Dined on 8/18/2014Our reservation was honored immediately. Upon being seated our wait staff brought the menus, utensils, napkins, water, bread and butter and ask us for drink order. The specials for the day were explained and our waiter took our order. Within a few minutes our salads came to the table. They were eye appealing an very fresh. Within an appropriate period of time our entrees were presented. All orders were as requested and like the salads very eye pleasing. All entrees were prepared as ordered and fresh and warm. The meals were excellent and it was a very enjoyable evening and dining experience.Special Features:
- Saturday NightWaltDined on 8/16/2014Went to dinner with friends and needed to leave on time for a concert. Service was fast and the food was great. Everything worked out perfectly. We have all dined here before and we will all come back again.Special Features:
- very delicious and great varietyAH5dinerDined on 8/16/2014There were a lot of different choices for entrees from great salads, sandwiches to bigger dishes. All were excellent. Lots of unique sides too. the 6 of us each really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Love the fresh and savory options!mjfiveoDined on 8/13/2014The Chef delivers excellent choices and quality dishes every time! Thank you :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant lunch sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Being the only restaurant for miles, right in the middle of Northbrook's corporate campuses, this restaurant is great for meeting with business associates and friends alike. Hearty portion sizes. Also very accommodating for visitors with infants. Friendly wait staff and prompt sleeting. A real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsi8outDined on 8/11/2014I love J. Alexanders. I first dined at one in San Antonio, TX. and loved it. I was thrilled to find one in Northbrook, IL! I have dined there for both lunch and dinner. The food is fresh, service is friendly, and quality is consistent. They don't mind if you want to take a little time over a glass of wine at dinner. And, during lunch, the food is served so quickly that my guests thought it must be pre made and quickly decided that it was too fresh to have been pre made. J. Alexanders is one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PampicDined on 8/8/2014We are regulars at the restaurant and love it! Good food, great service!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchNetAppLunchDined on 8/8/2014Had a great business lunch with colleagues and clients on Friday, the staff was excellent, the orders were delivered remarkably quickly, and the food was excellent. Sat outside on the patio. When dining around Northbrook this is one to keep on the short list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusinessFloodyDined on 8/6/2014This is a very good option for a business lunch. You need reservations. Try to make them for before 12:00 as it completely fills up. Very nice salads. Excellent warm bread. Very attentive servicSpecial Features:
- Love it here but...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/5/2014for the noise and lighting. the food is delicious every time and the service is good. your glass is never empty and someone is always on hand. BUT...it gets very loud very fast and the lighting is so dim its difficult to see eachother.Special Features:
- Food carries the dayJimbo6VIPDined on 8/2/2014This large barn-like structure with high ceilings and noise levels to match is saved by the quality of the food preparation.Special Features:
- Food & serviceHarrietDined on 8/2/2014Prime rib sandwich always outstanding, very tender. Service is very good & friendly.Special Features:
- Low InventoryCareful2chooseDined on 7/30/2014I ordered three different times and they didn't have it in stock, I wanted the crab cakes and they were out, the fish tacos...out! I had to settle for the turkey burger and that was dry but it was fair.Special Features:
- HecticLincolnshireVIPDined on 7/29/2014Way too noisy for conversation if you go during busy meal time. Food consistently above average to average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Interesting and diverse menu. Server (Jennifer) very outgoing, informative and efficient. Substitution of sides was very easy. Portions rather sizable.Special Features:
- Great business dining experienceirish1Dined on 7/23/2014I was taking a very important client to lunch, and meeting his supervisor for the very first time. The dining atmosphere was perfect for a business lunch. The restaurant was not too loud, so we didn't have to shout. The food was excellent. We enjoyed two appetizers - calamari and chips with tri-dip. The entrees were excellent as well - beef k-bobs, chicken and beet salad. I will return whenever I am in the area.Special Features:
- Nice experiencedascherDined on 7/22/2014Went here for celebration lunch. Very good service. The trio tortilla appetizer was very good, and the carrot cake was excellent. Got the rotisserie chicken salad, and while it had pretty much everything you could want in a salad, it was kind of bland, particularly the dressing. But everything was fresh. The restaurant is also very loud, so it's not a place for quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedALMESAVIPDined on 7/19/2014Best prime rib around! Save some room for the carrot cake too.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodBobFDined on 7/19/2014Just went to J. Alexander's again after a long spell. It still has great food and service. I would go more often if the price were a little cheaper, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - eventuallyMitchDined on 7/19/2014J Alexander's is consistently excellent and I always enjoy eating there. A bit of a bump in the road when my steak (ordered medium) was delivered medium rare. I had to send it back to be cooked properly, and unfortunately when that happens, my wife was better than 1/2 way done with her dinner before mine arrived. Not much of an apology from the server or manager, no offer of a drink or dessert. I am always surprised when a restaurant of that cailber gets the temperature wrong. All in all, excellent food and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Best carrot cake ever!friendVIPDined on 7/18/2014I enjoy this restaurant. They make the Thai Crunch Salad special for me since I cannot stand cilantro. And they are very accommodating of other people's needs, too. But the best is the carrot cake.... and I do not usually even like carrot cake.Special Features:
- good business lunchEricDined on 7/16/2014Wide selection of food to meet the 6 people at the table. Service was attentive, especially after a mix up on one order. Prices were fine for what we ate. The left us to talk and other than the mix up did a very good job.Special Features:
- Always dependableJerryLDined on 7/15/2014We were busy at work, and needed to get dinner and then get back to work. We asked ourselves where we could go that had good food and good service - it took 1 sec for all of us to say J Alexanders - we weren't disappointed!Special Features:
- Can't ComplainEdgarDined on 7/14/2014Perfect remedy to take your significant other when he/she are mad at you. She was pleased with the food and the service. I must say, however, it is expensive yet the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Close and ReliablewaterdautrDined on 7/13/2014We were looking for something special for late (8 pm) Sunday seafood dinner on the Northshore, but as my friend pointed out, this is not L.A. So we settled for the closest place to the Embassy Suites hotel in Deerfield. The food was very good (I had grouper - excellent), my friend had prime rib (good). The service was good. It has an upscale corporate ambience - so it was not the intimate, lakefront seafood place I had hoped to find, but good nonetheless.Special Features:
- First time for dinnerNorthshoredaveVIPDined on 7/13/2014I have been here for lucnh many times. Took my parents here for their anniversary and it was very good. Staff was great and able to answer questions. I had the prime rib and it was very good. The best I have had in a while. My son had the turkey birger which looked good. We also had a grilled artichoke appetizer that was fatastic. Food came fast but I did not feel rushed. Maybe everything could have been a couple dollars less expensive but overall very good.
- After Theater EateryteriVIPDined on 6/29/2014Good service, enjoyable atmosphere, and good food. French dip sandwich is my husband's favorite meal. The veggie burger was another favorite in our after dinner theater group.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchSomethingSmellsGoodDined on 6/28/2014We chose the Northbrook location because of convenience for my son's later activities. It was our first visit here versus the Oakbrook location. The first thing you notice is the light airy feeling of the interior. Our waitstaff were extremely kind to my young grandchildren. Our appetizers, meals and desserts were delivered promptly at proper temperatures/done ness and the food was superb. This is my older son's favorite restaurant and when asked out for his birthday, this is his request which we are more than happy to fulfill.Special Features:
- Terrific!LynnieWagsDined on 6/27/2014Prime Rib was incredible - perfectly cooked. Lunch at J. Alexander's is always terrific. Now I have to come back for dinner. Outdoor dining is available which is a nice change of pace.Special Features: