J. Alexander's - Jacksonville
10296 Bistro Dr
Jacksonville, FL 32246Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
J. Alexander's - Jacksonville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 9049967147
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Please contact the restaurant for groups of 13 or more.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Clayton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
A word from J. Alexander's - Jacksonville
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
J. Alexander's - Jacksonville - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
J. Alexander's - Jacksonville reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (99)fit for foodies (54)romantic (54)good for groups (49)great for lunch (43)notable wine list (36)vibrant bar scene (33)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (29)late-night find (21)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)Show More
- A nice dinnerlhdeasonDined on 10/20/2014J Alexander is a place we can depend on for good food and variety of menu. I enjoy a restaurant that has something for every taste. A very nice evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014I had made a reservation online the day before and was very pleased to get a table for 4 at the time I wanted. When we arrive a few minutes early, we were seated right away. There was a card placed on the table by the hostess so I of course read it to see what it was. It showed a table for 2 walk-in. In my mind I questioned it due to the fact that when I did walk in I showed the hostess my phone which had my name and the number of guests for our online reservation. I assumed it may be used as a tracking document but if it was, it was wrong. However, that didn't bother us. We all had an enjoyable evening together as a family celebrating our son's 17th birthday! Everything about the evening was great except the food didn't have much flavor.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!BHolbrookJax7Dined on 10/18/2014As always, this is one of our favorite places for Saturday evening. There were four of us and we decided to sit at the bar to have drinks and dinner since there was space available when we arrived. The bartenders are all fantastic; those who have served us before usually know what we like to drink. Two of the four of us had the Steak and Fries - they always get it and say it's the best steak in town for the price. One of us had chicken fingers - and she is always satisfied. I had the fish sandwich without the bread and it was grouper that night which I love. Along with grilled zucchini, I was completely happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBirthdayOutingDined on 10/18/2014The service was amazing and the food was awesome....definitely a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strict portions but fab onion ringsMikeTboneDined on 10/15/2014This was our first time at J Alexanders. An enjoyable experience for sure. Perhaps the best onion rings I've ever had. If anything, we will be returning for those onion rings. Service was awesome. Instead of one server, it seems there are a team of people who tend to your table. I selected the crab cakes, which tasted quite fresh, but were portioned small for their cost - only 2 small-medium crab cakes for the same price as my friends 16 oz NY Strip. Their "best chocolate cake" is pretty good, but not as good as the "flourless chocolate dome" at a competing restaurant chain. Soup of the day was gumbo, which wasn't very flavorful. When I let them know, they only apologized, didn't offer a solution.Special Features:
- aks59Dined on 10/11/2014The food and service were excellent. I am sorry to say I don’t recall our waitress name but she went above and beyond to make sure we were cared for. The only reason I gave the ambiance a 4 is because the seat I had was facing the sun as it was going down.Special Features:
- Another Fine EstablishmentPatCVIPDined on 10/10/2014We have a wonderful J. Alexander's in Tampa and looked forward to checking out their Jacksonville store - and they show the same attention to detail that the Tampa store exemplifies. The layout is totally different, but the food and service are, as always, impeccable. The people of Jacksonville have a great place to dine and to enjoy consistently fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2014crabcakeDined on 10/4/2014I had the lump crab patties, they were okay but a little to fishy tasting, .ve had betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but loudBoothfor2Dined on 10/4/2014Expected quieter setting for dinner, Not a romantic venue all though mood lighting is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality foodRonSVIPDined on 10/4/2014They try hard and serve an excellent product. Best French dip ever - sliced prime rib. Large menu to please everyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service!jsark21Dined on 10/3/2014Had our anniversary dinner here and iitturned out amazing! Thanks to the wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, ok foodBelly2589Dined on 10/1/2014The sevice was great, however the food and drinks were just average. The restaurant has a good energetic vibe and the bar looked like a nice place to hang and drink with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014I have not had service this good in Jacksonville in a while. The staff was very attentive without being intrusive the food was hot and well prepared and the ambiance was cozy. My glass was never half full and after each service we received clean silverware. The staff was very knowledgeable of the menu. The whole experience was great. Good Job J. Alexander 'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gretchen visitJaxdinerDined on 9/29/2014Went there to meet old friends who we haven't seen in 25 years. Restaurant is great, varied menu, great ambience, loved the muted lighting. Food portions were generous, service was unhurried ....loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MommaflakusDined on 9/27/2014I was very happy with the ease in which I was able to make my reservation with Open Table. J Alexander was very accommodating in seating us as we were early for the reservation as well. It was a wonderful evening. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityKennDined on 9/26/2014The quality of the entrees was great. The service was very good with a lot of attention. Two of our party had seafood and both said it was outstanding. I am constantly looking for great Prime Rib. Very few places are able to achieve my expectation. The Prime Rib was among the best I have had. It is a little pricey but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like it was...Ymas289Dined on 9/24/2014Since J's opened we have been regulars. Started with being greeted so friendly you wanted to return and food to die for! Now, just a few short years later, you're greeted....food is good....service passes..... What happened to the pep? To the wow thanks for being our customer? To the plate sharing, the food that is to die for? Feels like the passion has left the building.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy, but always good!CllsDined on 9/20/2014Our dinner was small, and a bit on the high end, price wise. But, everything was prepared perfectly, service was great and atmosphere soothing. A lovely dinner out at J. Alexander's!Special Features:
- annabelleannabelleDined on 9/13/2014Very good food and service. Definitely would recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- overly pricedPenJoDined on 9/12/2014Ordered pecan crusted fish with zucchini, over salted crust, very small serving. Six slices of zucchini, grilled nicely however surely NOT worth $32. Let me down j.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great serviceCharlieFVIPDined on 9/10/2014This restaurant never fails to impress even though its large and a chain. The folks they get to work there are top notch, well trained and the food is great.Special Features:
- relaxed and no rushingjimmyVIPDined on 9/7/2014We met some old friends there for Sunday lunch (no Brunch). The entrees were a tad pricey but worth it. Very attentive server, quiet enough in the booth for us to catch up. We wound up staying for a solid two hours, but never felt rushed even though the place was moderately busy. I'd go back again anytime. And an excellent/affordable wine list.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationCdb1115Dined on 9/6/2014What a great place to celebrate a friend's birthday. The noise level was moderate, the food excellent and location convenient. Will be coming back for MY birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation deskOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The reservations clerk was annoyed because I asked a question. She was so busy doing other things that it took her quite a few minutes to get one of the young ladies to escort our party of 5 to the table. What's with 4 or 5 different people bringing food to our table? They didn't know what we ordered and just set the food down on the table and left, leaving us to distribute to the correct person. And the volume level was extreme noise. Way too loud for that size.Special Features:
- Very impressedTravel4alivingDined on 9/5/2014This was a first visit and my wife and I were very impressed with the ambiance, the menu selections and of course the food. Everything was great including the service, we actually felt appreciated to be dining with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationBirthdayDined on 8/31/2014It was the day before Labor Day at 3:30pm which is why it was so quiet and empty for a Sunday. We had a party of 5 which they take few parties over 4 due to space. This restaurant is for parties of 4 and below mainly. I do love this open table application. It took me no time to book a reservation ahead of time. I didn't have to call and talk to anyone which is always a perk. We just walked in and said we had a reservation. It was seamless. Every restaurant should have this feature.Special Features:
- excellent service, great food!!JulyDined on 8/30/2014I definitely go back the food is outstanding the prime rib cook to perfection the atmospheric comfortable highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alex Made the EveningFancyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Outstanding service from Alex made the evening this trip. He was so welcoming and genuinely glad we chose J. Alexander's. Our party of four all had a great dinner and good time. We'll be back as always.Special Features:
- DisappointmentRVerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Always been one of our favorites with top notch evaluation. This time - Kids noises, roast beef pre cooked and warmed up, entire bar set up for dinners, service only just satisfactory and best macicheese prepared probably for lunch crowd and saved. High point was wife's fish - excellent. I still have two prepaid cards for $175 but if dinner is going to be like this one I will use for lunch only! We were truly disappointed although we had been looking forward to going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is one of our favsOneofthelsDined on 8/23/2014We try to eat at J Alexander's once a month when in Ft Lauderdale or Jacksonville. Food is always great and service is top notch. Wait staff is always well versed, makes recommendations and are generally quite pleasant. The menu has something for everyone including great steaks, seafood, ribs and salads. Cocktails are always poured to perfection. Great for people watching but the ambiance and lighting are also perfect for a quiet dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ribs in Town!FLPatriot59Dined on 8/20/2014Once again, J. Alexanders delivers! For a casual dinner out with my wife we thoroughly enjoyed the petit sirloin (wife), perfectly cooked, very tender with the awesome chef's butter on top. I had the ribs and, as usual, they are fall off the bone tender. The loaded baked potato and cole slaw are excellent. We always end our dinner there sharing a slice of their amazing warm carrot cake, served with coffee. When we consider where to eat out (which we do a lot), almost every time we come back to J. Alexanders. Can't go wrong at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for business dinnerLexieDined on 8/19/2014Great place for having a casual business dinner for groups of people. Food is excellent, fast service, friendly staff. While overall we were happy with our experience and service, I wanted to point out that the waitress was a little too fast. We were served our salads and before we could finish them, she was bringing out our entres. The table was too small to hold all the dishes, so we had to hold our salads in our laps to allow her to put the entres on the table. It would have been much better for her to have offered to put them in a warmer until we finished our salad. Overall a good experience, would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed in foodAdeleDined on 8/16/2014My husband ans i were Very disappointed in my entrée and side dish choices. We tried j. Alexander's as something special and different from our usual restaraunt choices. We've decided to stick with our usual places.Special Features:
- Overcooked steakDineNoutDined on 8/15/2014I ordered Filet mignon cooked medium and it was prepared mostly well done, part of it medium well. The next steak prepared came out mostly rare to medium rare. The second steak which I cut in half was cooked on the third side, which caused that side to be overcooked. I never cooked a steak on three sides, only the top and bottom; cook could use a lesson. Everything else, salad, dessert, side dishes, was wonderful. The manager took the charge off the bill, but the experience ruined the evening. I will never order the steak again from there, the Ahi Tuna was great and prepared right a previous experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentSuperbDined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent, as always. And you can't get better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitresswillBbackDined on 8/12/2014We were fortunate. Ours was professional, charming and took action when the opportunity arose. The broccoli wasn't very good, we didn't make a big thing out of it - partly because the remaining meal was very good, but "M" fixed it without prompting. Quick response by management. You could see they were also paying attention to guests. You don't walk away hungry from this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerSolsticeDined on 8/10/2014The experience was excellent. The service sets this place apart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ConsistentFancyVIPDined on 8/9/2014J. Alexander's can always be counted on for consistent good food, service and attractive surroundings. I will continue to be disappointed in the lack of availability of wines by the glass with the volume of good wines available by the bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swift servicemomoftwoVIPDined on 8/8/2014Good food but last few visits the servers rush you. Can't just relax and enjoy your visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealFoodie44Dined on 8/6/2014Enjoyed my time there great food but expensive for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.