J. Alexander's - Jacksonville
10296 Bistro Dr
Jacksonville, FL 32246Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
J. Alexander's - Jacksonville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: (904) 996-7147
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Please contact the restaurant for groups of 13 or more.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Clayton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
A word from J. Alexander's - Jacksonville
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
J. Alexander's - Jacksonville - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
J. Alexander's - Jacksonville reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (58)romantic (58)good for groups (56)great for lunch (44)notable wine list (40)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (30)neighborhood gem (28)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (5)Show More
- Birthday celebration againCdb1115Dined on 11/20/2014Went back again for another birthday celebration, this time mine! Comfortable seating at table this time for a party of 5. Cool separate long table at bar that we enjoyed during happy hour. Carrot cake is to die for. Friendly staff. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is just ok.Yanks322VIPDined on 11/15/2014This was my 2nd trip here. Both times the food has just been OK, nothing great for what you're paying. This time the service was almost non existent. Had an issue with my meal & had to wait about 10 minutes for the waitress to come back. Tried flagging down other staff who walked by the table, but none would make eye contact. Once the waitress did come back I then had to wait another 10 minutes for them to cook the food to the proper temperature. Water classes were empty most of the meal as well. We had to ask the waitress for water when she stopped by only the 2nd time the entire meal.
- Food was just OK this time.SandraDined on 11/15/2014I was so looking forward to getting my prime rib sandwich, but was totally disappointed with my meal. The steak was extremely salty with a lot of fat and quite chewy. I told our waitress and she sent my steak back for another one and when it came out, it was kind of on the rare side and they took it back to broil for a few minutes more. It was better when it came back, but steak was still not as good as what I had on previous visits and was still on the tough side. Needless to say, I will not be back for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentRonSVIPDined on 11/15/2014Sporting a diverse menu, the food is well prepared and served hot. The chicken, prime rib French dip, and the baby backs are of note. Reservations are honored promptly. Nothing major to dislike, but Apple pie would be a welcome addition to the dessert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SallyDined on 11/14/2014Jane Marie was an outstanding waitress. She has an infectious postive attitude. I will ask for her sections each time I dine for lunch/dinner at this restaurant.Special Features:
- reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Everything there was great.The only problem I had was, when I came there to reserve my reservation I had to wait an hour and a half before I can sit down,because a party before me was there for 3 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual the best!eluminazDined on 11/8/2014I've been to this restaurants numerous times and it has always been an excellent experience. I decided to book this for my boyfriend's birthday because I knew that I wouldn't be dissapointed. We didn't have to wait for our table to be ready and our server took care of us right away. The food was excellent(especially the Mac and cheese) and the restaurant brought a free dessert for my boyfriend. I always recommend J's for any type of occasion.Special Features:
- First time dinerDelindaDined on 11/8/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant and it did not disappoint. The food and the service were both fantastic. The steaks were flavorful and the portions were huge. The salmon dip was especially delicious. Our server (Tanner) was helpful and assisted us with several recommendations. Overall it was very enjoyable and I will become a frequent diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, incredible dessertsMotif88VIPDined on 11/6/2014Very good food for reasonsable prices. I will definitely return when I'm in the Jacksonville area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!FoodtooDined on 11/6/2014Friendly staff, attentive service and great food! A wonderful first visit. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to family and friends. My shrimp celertro was prepared perfectly, the portion was good! Not too much not too little. my friend had the ahi tuna and she said it was excellent, melted in her mouth!Special Features:
- No Need To GoBecauseYouAskedVIPDined on 11/6/2014We ordered steaks which turned out to be a mistake, particularly when the Capital Grille was in the same quadrant. The steaks were fatty, poorly seasoned and small. The salads; for which we were overcharged, had an unpleasant flavor as well as the house salad that was likely comprised of the weeds in front of the building. The carpeting smelled like an old diner and the crowd noise prevented conversation. If not for a great waitress would have left. She tried to tell us not to order anything complicated (like more than a drink) but we did not listen. It seemed to be a good bar but not a place I will come back to for a meal or snack. It is a shame that they have fallen this far. Bad chef, bad manager, bad choice.
- Good LunchAlex123Dined on 11/2/2014Everything was great. Just didn't recieve my Opentable points. But Opentable.com fixed it 2 days later. Definitely will be back to JAlexanders for their great Mac'nCheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarineDined on 11/1/2014Out of all the times I've been here I've never had a bad experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If your HungryRVerVIPDined on 10/31/2014For a chain, this is one of the very best consistently. When you go and are hungry, expect not to leave that way. The onion rings arfe the very best in the United States, but the tower of onions is enough to feed a full meal to two people and their maci-cheese is absolutely wonderful.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodKim0214Dined on 10/30/2014Filet with bernaise sauce melts in your mouth...Ambiance is great. Dark and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014We the four ladies had a great dinning experience. Two were celebrating birthdays. What a GREAT dessert treats they received. We all shared that. It was fantastic.Our lunch was excellent. Thank you and your staff for making it so special. We all live in Fernandina Beach. Let me say the trip was well worth it. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- J.Alexanders - Good FoodDrivingWifeDined on 10/26/2014The menu offered a wide variety of dishes - some traditional and some innovative. The food was very good, the portions were large and the service was adequate. It would be nice if a small salad or soup was included with the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Very good place, however had a reservation but still waited a half hour for sitting.Special Features:
- Another Good ExperienceKasparitisDined on 10/25/2014Food was good to excellent...presentation to taste. The server, PJ, was a bright and engaging young man, but I hope he gets some assistance with basic etiquettes. To include; detailing specials, asking about appetizers, and general pace of service. He was asking if we were ready to order when we had beens dated for less than a couple minutes. Let me stress, he did not diminish the night. Seems like a clear case of inexperience. Alexanders is an excellent choice between more expensive and less casual options in the Town Center.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!SDP23Dined on 10/25/2014We had 5 adults and a toddler on a Saturday night, but got a perfectly comfortable table, great food, and fantastic service. Our waiter, Hunter C, was incredibly attentive and we never wanted for anything from start to finish. It really couldn't have been better. We never felt rushed or forgotten, which can sometimes happen when you take a toddler to a nice place. The steak brazzo, btw, is excellent. Hope this becomes a regular part of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencejlnegronDined on 10/25/2014Our waitress Mitchell, was awesome. She recommend us the best plates on the menu.Special Features:
- AverageChidinDined on 10/24/2014We (party of 3) arrived early for our reservation and they sat us immediately. We then waited for 15 minutes before out server came to the table. No apologies, no introduction of her name or anything, she just said "Hi, what can I get you to drink" she was very smily and bubbly but I would have appreciated an intro or apology. She took our order and everything after that was fine. App and food came out in good time and was good. That initial greeting (or lack of) is what set the tone for me and made the food quality seem a little less special.Special Features:
- ConsistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/24/2014I've been eating here for a while, and every time I go there I always have an excellent meal. The service is outstanding tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Everything was great. I was just disappointed that I made a reservation and still had to wait 20 mintues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, alwaysLeighDined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful time for dinner. We were greeted at the door by hostess Emily. Very warm and friendly. Our server Jane Marie was outstanding. She was funny and spent time answering our questions and making sure my husbands baked potato was piping hot! The food was outstanding as usual. The onion rings were nice, hot and crisp! Husbands steak was cooked to perfection. I had cilantro shrimp. It was awesome. The wine list is very nice and not too overpriced.Special Features:
- Pretty expensiveKcon17VIPDined on 10/23/20142 people drank water, shared one appetizer and one entree, $60! Good food but overpriced:(Special Features:
- A nice dinnerlhdeasonDined on 10/20/2014J Alexander is a place we can depend on for good food and variety of menu. I enjoy a restaurant that has something for every taste. A very nice evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014I had made a reservation online the day before and was very pleased to get a table for 4 at the time I wanted. When we arrive a few minutes early, we were seated right away. There was a card placed on the table by the hostess so I of course read it to see what it was. It showed a table for 2 walk-in. In my mind I questioned it due to the fact that when I did walk in I showed the hostess my phone which had my name and the number of guests for our online reservation. I assumed it may be used as a tracking document but if it was, it was wrong. However, that didn't bother us. We all had an enjoyable evening together as a family celebrating our son's 17th birthday! Everything about the evening was great except the food didn't have much flavor.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!BHolbrookJax7Dined on 10/18/2014As always, this is one of our favorite places for Saturday evening. There were four of us and we decided to sit at the bar to have drinks and dinner since there was space available when we arrived. The bartenders are all fantastic; those who have served us before usually know what we like to drink. Two of the four of us had the Steak and Fries - they always get it and say it's the best steak in town for the price. One of us had chicken fingers - and she is always satisfied. I had the fish sandwich without the bread and it was grouper that night which I love. Along with grilled zucchini, I was completely happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBirthdayOutingDined on 10/18/2014The service was amazing and the food was awesome....definitely a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strict portions but fab onion ringsMikeTboneDined on 10/15/2014This was our first time at J Alexanders. An enjoyable experience for sure. Perhaps the best onion rings I've ever had. If anything, we will be returning for those onion rings. Service was awesome. Instead of one server, it seems there are a team of people who tend to your table. I selected the crab cakes, which tasted quite fresh, but were portioned small for their cost - only 2 small-medium crab cakes for the same price as my friends 16 oz NY Strip. Their "best chocolate cake" is pretty good, but not as good as the "flourless chocolate dome" at a competing restaurant chain. Soup of the day was gumbo, which wasn't very flavorful. When I let them know, they only apologized, didn't offer a solution.Special Features:
- aks59Dined on 10/11/2014The food and service were excellent. I am sorry to say I don’t recall our waitress name but she went above and beyond to make sure we were cared for. The only reason I gave the ambiance a 4 is because the seat I had was facing the sun as it was going down.Special Features:
- Another Fine EstablishmentPatCVIPDined on 10/10/2014We have a wonderful J. Alexander's in Tampa and looked forward to checking out their Jacksonville store - and they show the same attention to detail that the Tampa store exemplifies. The layout is totally different, but the food and service are, as always, impeccable. The people of Jacksonville have a great place to dine and to enjoy consistently fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2014crabcakeDined on 10/4/2014I had the lump crab patties, they were okay but a little to fishy tasting, .ve had betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but loudBoothfor2Dined on 10/4/2014Expected quieter setting for dinner, Not a romantic venue all though mood lighting is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality foodRonSVIPDined on 10/4/2014They try hard and serve an excellent product. Best French dip ever - sliced prime rib. Large menu to please everyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service!jsark21Dined on 10/3/2014Had our anniversary dinner here and iitturned out amazing! Thanks to the wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, ok foodBelly2589Dined on 10/1/2014The sevice was great, however the food and drinks were just average. The restaurant has a good energetic vibe and the bar looked like a nice place to hang and drink with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014I have not had service this good in Jacksonville in a while. The staff was very attentive without being intrusive the food was hot and well prepared and the ambiance was cozy. My glass was never half full and after each service we received clean silverware. The staff was very knowledgeable of the menu. The whole experience was great. Good Job J. Alexander 'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gretchen visitJaxdinerDined on 9/29/2014Went there to meet old friends who we haven't seen in 25 years. Restaurant is great, varied menu, great ambience, loved the muted lighting. Food portions were generous, service was unhurried ....loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.