J. Alexander's - Houston
11103 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77042Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
J. Alexander's - Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 8322000955x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Manny Aguilar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from J. Alexander's - Houston
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
J. Alexander's - Houston - Best Restaurants in Westchase ›
J. Alexander's - Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)great for lunch (17)romantic (15)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (11)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Undistinguished Houston fareOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014The restaurant is dark at night, although effective spotlighting allows you to read the menu and see your table mates. Menu reads like every other Houston steak house or alternative steak house. Wine list is 90% + USA and fairly priced. Portions are large and fat-laden food is difficult to avoid.
- Good food and great serviceOutofTowner43Dined on 10/18/2014J. Alexander's was the perfect place for friends to meet and have dinner. Service was great and the food was very good. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- celebration was a success!filetmignon2die4Dined on 10/11/2014the filet mignon is outstanding! Key lime pie was the dessert choice and the graham cracker pecan crust is very tasty. we will continue to sine there every time we are close to the location. the staff is very accommodating and helpful. thank you for a wonderful celebration evening. margaritas are top notch.Special Features:
- Here to staylambVIPDined on 10/4/2014J. Alexander is definitely doing something right. They have been at the same location for a long time and keep there quality in check year in and year out..Special Features:
- Good ExperienceCherVIPDined on 9/28/2014Prime rib was good, french fries with prime rib sandwich delicious! Nice selection for laid-back lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:
- Fabulous ExperienceKatyPeteDined on 9/25/2014We wanted to celebrate our 49th anniversary at a special place and only J. Alexanders fit the requirements. We have dined there on several occasions and the food is always excellent and the service is superior. This celebration was just perfect. We commend all the staff at the West Chase location for a job well done. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- From appetizer hell to steak heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Artichoke queso and Cheesesteak rolls were horrible. Then we received our filets. OUTSTANDING. We could not believe a kitchen that delivered such mediocre appetizers could plate such outstanding steaks.
- So so experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Food was just OK. For the price I expected the food to be better. We had a server in training which probably didn't help things. The ambiance of the place was pretty nice.
- Great Food and ServiceQualityFoodVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great food, service and atmosphere. Great price on wine by the bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise.MetallDined on 8/21/2014I've seen this restaurant for years and always wanted to try it. Hubby and I were entertaining my mom and a friend so we decided to give it a go. What a nice surprise! The service was outstanding and the food was wonderful. Portions were generous. We will definitely be going back to J. Alexanders.Special Features:
- Very good in all pahses.JAlexisgreatDined on 8/19/2014We started with the calamari and it was cooked to perfection. I had the Ahi tuna and my wife the shrimp. Each entree was very good with minor flaws (a little under salted, the tuna was closer to medium). In all, you have to search for deficiencies. Service was excellent. The key lime pie was excellent although a large portion (fit for sharing). This is a top-tier restaurant and I'd recommend it for people in the Houston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!gracieDined on 8/15/2014As always, food and service are great. Prime rib always a winner and grilled redfish was delicious. Our server made a great wine suggestion. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Just WonderfulQualityFoodVIPDined on 7/28/2014This place was wonderful. Food was excellent and service was professional. FYI: they have the best Key Lime Pie!!!Special Features:
- Good For Business MeetingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014I selected J. Alexander's to meet my business associates for a casual dinner. The steak was great and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Since learning about JA we try to go as often as possible. Never had a bad or even an average dinner. All were fantastic. Go try it once and you'll be hooked to return often.Special Features:
- My 1st choice for business lunchTpm06Dined on 7/18/2014When I have to pick a restaurant the take a business client for lunch in the Westchase area J Alexander is alway a great choice. Great food, clean, professional service and respectful of my time. What more can one ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014J Alexander's is one of my favorite restaurants. I love the food. Really wish there was a restaurant in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. One thing I would like to recommend is complimentary bread or chips and salsa when dining in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014This was my first time dining at this location and I felt there were some points that could use improvement however the staff went out of their way to accommodate a request to provide a dish not on the menu that night but I would not have requested that dish if the hostest (Laurie - I spoke with her via phone earlier in the week) had not specifically told me the item would be on the menu for Saturday night. I called since I was coming from out of town and wanted that particular item.Special Features:
- Always good.HTX77077Dined on 6/27/2014J. Alexander's is always a great place to go to get good drinks and great ribs. This one time the service was a bit slow, but it will definitely not keep us from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 76 reviews are from the J. Alexander's - Houston reviews archive.
- Dining at J. Alexander'sLovetoeatDined on 6/15/2014I really love the atmosphere when dining at J. Alexander's. The service is always outstanding and the food is to die for. I also love the fact that when I dine at J. Alexander's I never have to wait for a table. I would recommend this place for everyone to try if they have not. P.S. The drinks are good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GenlambVIPDined on 5/30/2014You can Never go wrong with J. Alexander. Service is always impeccable, food is always fresh Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Great business dinneranthonyVIPDined on 5/29/2014Was out with a client. Great bar. Overall place has a very good vibe. Both are meals were very good. I will be back next time I am in that area.Special Features:
- TimDavidDined on 5/28/2014Superb food and service. Only grumble is that the Diet Cola tasted of chlorine, presumably because of the iceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2014We had reservations for 6:45 p.m. on a rainy Monday night for our party of three. I arrived first and was very pleasantly greeted from the moment I stepped in the door. Our waiter, Ray, was perfect. We all ordered the red snapper which arrived in generous portions and cooked to perfection. J. Alexanders had been recommended to me by a friend who takes company customers there for business lunches. She had told me that "You can't go wrong with J. Alexander's." She was right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food.....BUT...TheDiningQueenDined on 5/21/2014My family and I dined at the facility for a birthday celebration. The waiter (Ray) was very nice, but when the food came out unfortunately 2 plate entrees had hair in the food. The manager that was on duty 5/21/14 was nice nasty with us. He took the entree off the ticket when it was time to pay and we appreciated that but I just believe in the respect factor. Maybe that was his tonation and how he talks but it came off nice nasty. So would I dine there again? Absolutely but, the hair in the food in 2 dinner plates just made the experience lack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2014goodfoodDined on 5/17/2014The food is good and the service is good except for the constant interruptions. I think if I hear "it's my pleasure" one more time I'm going to get violently ill. I am not sure who coined that expression, but it's overused and after the first 2 times annoying at best. If it's your pleasure to do something you might want to inform your face. But I digress. There was a misunderstanding about an appetizer and whom I am guessing was the manager (she didn't introduce herself) comped it. Well, that was after they mistakenly added it to the wrong bill. Overall, with the exceptions of the constant interruptions, the meal was good as well as the service.Special Features:
- Great place to eatCookieDined on 5/11/2014Had a great Mother's Day here ! Jazz music was playing friendly staff manager actually does his job and come and check on everyone !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayCupid2014Dined on 5/11/2014The staff was excellent, and the food was outstanding. Kids friendly too.. They split a burger (huge)Special Features:
- poor servicebadserviceDined on 5/11/2014Went on mother's day and server ignored us for the duration of the visit.Special Features:
- So GoodLindaAndBobReviewDined on 5/9/2014It's turned into our close special place. We love the ambiance, the good service and the food. We ate there the first night we moved into our home seven years ago after a long day of unloading and unpacking and were hooked.Special Features:
- Original RequestTwentyFiveDined on 5/7/2014I asked for a table out of a high traffic area as this was a business luncheon as I explained . I was given a booth by the bar with business men having some drinks. Thanks; I was not going to have that conversation with my client in hearing distance. Thats why I thought I took care of this before hand. A booth and the bar area ...That sound like an out of the way low traffic area to you?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014We had our own private space which was a very nice surprise. The service and food were wonderful. Our only complaint is that the restaurant was very cold. The staff tried to accommodate us but it really never warmed up. Other than that, it was a very nice family dinner for my son's birthday.Special Features:
- SmittyDined on 4/29/2014Great spot for a business dinner or lunch and good for a romantic night ,the food is very good reasonable price for a steak and the wine was at a fair price . The staff was very professional and I would take all my clients here for Dinner or lunch close to the It hub of the citySpecial Features:
- Good ExperienceSandyDined on 4/26/2014The brunch menu is small, but the eggs Benedict is great. One of the best. Especially, if you have them add lump crab meat!Special Features:
- Kinda blahyoliDined on 4/25/2014The service was awesome. Our server took get care of us but the food wasn't impressive. I was kinda disappointed.Special Features:
- Terrible Service - Good FoodAndrewDined on 4/25/2014Had dinner at this restaurant this past Friday. The service was miserable. There were 4 in our party. From taking forever to take our order to waiting forever to fill our glass of water & then trying to rush us out of our table. Also, running out of food. This is a Friday night at 7:00 pm & no calamari. The crab cakes & salmon were very good. The restaurant was half full. I can know see why. It is a shame!
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014The service was excellent right from the door, the food was wonderful this was a great first experience would rate this restaurant a 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is always outstandingFavoriteDined on 4/20/2014It's about knowing how to leave guests alone while being highly attentive. Wonderful service staff. Great people. Food is always great and the coffee is wonderful. Wine Flights can be fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTasteeDined on 4/18/2014In my opinion, as someone who eats at a variety of restaurants in different markets because of extensive travel, I've yet to find a restaurant that rivals the ambience of J. Alexander. From service to food quality and selection they are top notch. For the diner that expects more or a romantic get away J. Alexander should be right at the top of the list; I've yet to be disappointed. By the way, I would like to see risotto added to the menu!Special Features:
- Enjoyable night with the FamilyDMillerDined on 4/16/2014There are just enough options on the menu that everyone can find something without being an overwhelming menu. The service makes up he best of the rest--Thank you for a great family night out.Special Features: