J. Alexander's - Dunwoody
4701 Ashford Dunwoody Rd
Atlanta, GA 30338Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Dunwoody
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 7705120153x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Brunch on Sundays: 10:00am-2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Dunwoody
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches… and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
J. Alexander's - Dunwoody - Best Restaurants in Dunwoody ›
J. Alexander's - Dunwoody reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (50)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (45)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (34)romantic (33)kid-friendly (22)great for brunch (18)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great GemmarianneDined on 9/18/2014This was a last minute decision and a great choice. The food was great as usual and the atmosphere was perfect for our group. There a couple of newbies in my group and all completely enjoyed the experience. I will continue to recommend this place for those that live in the area and need a great dining option. Since my first experience in Memphis with this restaurant, I have always had a great experience and that has been over 10 years ago. Thanks for the consistency!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014I loved this place! The service was stellar and the food delicious. The prices are reasonable considering the high quality of the food and the size of the portions. Loved the open kitchen aspect; nice to be able to peek around and see what's going on. And that hardwood grill smell that hits you as soon as you get out of the car is the best appetizer :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaygirlsDined on 9/14/2014We celebrated my daughters birthday and out server was outstanding. We had a combination of the specility salads and steak and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- As usual excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014This is a gem of restuarant. Has a midtown atomsphere without the commute. It has contemporary elegance with service that some of the midtown restaurants lack for sure. I can tell you that the food is always excellent and the quality above standards. What I like is how the staff works as a team, so no one is ever busy to help someone out such as dropping of a refill or dish or anything else. This is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotLuv2xdineVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great food, great service, a real winner. Employees are really glad to see you on return visits. Pricing for top quality food is a bargain compared to other restaurants in this price category. Emily is an excellent server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningDebbieMDined on 9/6/2014Although my husband and I had been there before, our friends had not. What a pleasant experience. Made a reservation online. We were seated immediately, by a smiling hostess. Server showed up within minutes. He, Turner, was excellent. The roasted artichoke appetizer, finger licking good! Each of us had a different enter, everyone was delicious! Sadly, no room for dessert, this time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite local restaurantAtlanta4BusinessVIPDined on 8/31/2014As always, the food was great as expected. Ambiance is very good, a comfortable enjoyable dinner which we frequent at least once a month. However, service was shockingly bad. Our waitress Cheryl took forever to "stop by". The rest of the J Alexanders staff took up for her slack, but it was very disappointing that it would take so long to actually stop by to take our dinner order. Not what we normally expect from this place. Follow-up was also a mystery. We are hoping she was just having a bad day, but this was very unusual for this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great surprise.JH23Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I, two teenagers, and nine year old, dined at J. Alexander's in Dunwoody for dinner. We were pleasantly surprised. The service from the minute we walked in the door was excellent and welcoming. Our drinks and appetizers were brought quickly -- and the food was hot. That remained the case throughout dinner -- great service and hot, fresh food. From the new york strip to the kids chicken fingers to the french dip sandwich to the celantro shrimp to the veggie burger, and the spinach cheese dip appetizer, the food was enjoyed by everyone. Great night. Great food. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went twice in 4 days!Kat2427VIPDined on 8/28/2014We ate at J. Alexander's for the first time on a Tuesday night and went back on Thursday and ordered the exact same meal. We have not had prime rib in probably 20 years, but decided to try it. WOW...it was terrific. My tenderloin with Béarnaise sauce was very good, as usual, but the prime rib was to die for! The fries dipped in Béarnaise were great also. We rarely order dessert, but decided the carrot cake served warm sounded good. It wasn't just good; it was awesome! I usually will have one or two bites, but I had my full share both nights. We will look forward to going back the next time we are in Atlanta for sure.
- Fast service, good foodroseroseVIPDined on 8/22/2014My co-worker and I wanted to grab a quick meal. The service was outstanding. I ordered the steak tacos. While the steak in one of the tacos was a little fatty, there were still very flavorful. The server was very attentive!Special Features:
- too expensive for lunch!rebelDined on 8/22/2014Its ridiculous to charge $2.95 for sweet tea, coffee and milk! And $18 for a prime rib sandwich!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceDahVahnDined on 8/18/2014I decided to go to J. Alexsnder's for my birthday dinner with a small group of friend. There was excellent service and friendly staff. The food was of quality and delicious! I will defintely be going back there soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed birthday dinner!MelleoDined on 8/17/2014When I go here and look at the menu I see lots of things that look good but can't get past ordering filet. It is delicious and prepared just the way I like it. Love the salad too.Special Features:
- Mr. FranklinMrFranklinDined on 8/14/2014Phenomenal experience as always. I had a great time. It was my birthday. On another note. With the amount of my bill and I only had a party of two and it was my birthday I believe a slice of carrot cake and candle should be priority for the birthday guess. Although I ordered it because you don't serve cake per say. Just a thought of the small ways J Alexander could brighten someone's birthday. We all done there have a structured bavkground per say but we all like to roll our sleeves up and take off the tie and have a little fun and laughter so a lil birthday medium volume song from the waitress or waiter would bring a tad bit life to J Alexander.. That's just my perspective. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The service was excellent and the food portions generous. A great lunch spot.Special Features:
- Love it always!CoolcryDined on 8/8/2014Never a bad time here! Grown up American food. They do well with honoring reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectCupcakeDined on 8/8/2014Good good. Good atmosphere. Good service. You can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Great experience! Friendly staff.BirthdayGirl45Dined on 8/6/2014Had a great experience. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. I will return and recommend others as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014J Alexander is an excellent place to eat. I enjoyed the food. I like everything about it. Even the lady's room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointedfood4thefoodieDined on 8/4/2014I came here for lunch with some friends. The service and food were superb. I ordered the Caesar Salad w/ Smoked Salmon and it was amazing. You must also try their mac & cheese and carrot cake! The servers are extremely professional and accommodating!Special Features:
- Fantastic SpotliftandeatDined on 8/3/2014Our server was extremely helpful and attentive. The appetizer, entrees and wine were all delicious. Great location to spend an evening with a date, family or friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dip is amazingSya1Dined on 8/1/2014Steak was perfect and the salmon dip is f ing amazingSpecial Features:
- Surprisingly disappointing;(1952langleyDined on 7/28/2014Fish (Cajun trout ) and Grouper was dry. Steak and chicken ok. Trainee needed more supervision. Birthday but they do nothing! Took out of town guests and was sorry I didn't go elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentJimmyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Cody and Natalie took great care of us as always. It was just a quick dinner with a couple glasses of wine. Very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Like Norcross Location BetterJamesDined on 7/23/2014We've been to the Norcross location a number of times. This was our first trip to Perimeter. The food quality was not up to the level we are accustomed to. I ordered the Prime Rib medium.. they brought out a rare/mid rare piece they soaked in au jus to make it look less rare. I remember this trick from when I worked at Outback many years ago.. pretty disappointing for a restaurant of this caliber. My fiancee got the seabass and shrimp special and it was thoroughly disappointing. We've never been let down by the food at J Alexanders. In the future we will stick to the Norcross location.
- Great Times!RomanticEveningDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I wanted to enjoy a romantic night on the town and this place was just the right fit for dinner. I have visted J Alexander several times before and every time I have had an GREAT experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Alexander'sMPOTVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food was ok. Rib eye was tough and on flavorable. The manager came by and pointed at it and said that is how it's supposed to be. We asked, tough and no flavor? I He said its correct.
- Great food and servicefoodconossieur15Dined on 7/17/2014I had a wonderful experience at J. Alexander's. The food was great and exceeded my expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the ambiance and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014If you like good service, then this is your premiere spot. The service was amazing. I enjoyed the meal and ambiance as well. Good Job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Over Many YearsDealmakerVIPDined on 7/16/2014One can always be sure that you will have a good meal and good service at J.Alexanders. Only drawback is that they do not have very many actual tables, but allot of booths.Booths are not great for large people.Special Features:
- First time visitGAcoupleVIPDined on 7/12/2014First server w/ zero personality did not welcome us or introduce herself. Left to get water and thankfully was replaced. He started off shaky by not knowing the specials and had to retrieve that info. Artichoke appetizer was very tasty. Sourough bread very good. Prime rib was flavorful, tender but dry. Ordered med rare but served closer to medium well. Their website slideshow displayed multiple FISH dishes but they don't really carry many fish meals unless you include their tacos. Menu is a hodgepodge of everything including pizza, hamburgers, tacos, steak and salmon. Ambience was coffee shop casual with straight line booths on multiple levels. Short wait at 8pm, half empty by 9:15 on Saturday night. Seemed older (50+) target market.
- We love the Salmon! A Great dish!!GR8FoodDined on 7/12/2014The kitchen goes overboard to customize our requests to exactly what we wanted! (Adding minced anchovies to my Caesar salad and special requests also for my friend!) The salmon and cole slew were dee-lish!!! The salmon was cooked exactly as each of us requested and we loved it.\!! The service is always above excellent, so you need more, higher level choices to describe the really "excellent" staff. Always good people. We're regulars and always get the very best treatment. A great place for a meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still exceptionable food & service.CarolineDined on 7/12/2014I was excited to know that now they had reservations. My family went to the Dunwoody, Atlanta location for my birthday. The ambiance was modern and eclectic. The waitress was wonderful and on top of her game. I decided to get my favorite glass of the Lincort Pinot Noir that looks to me J Alexander's is the only place that has this. My hubby ordered their fish tacos which he stated were fresh and tasty. I decided to get the classic steak and fries. My steak was done medium well and it was perfect. They surprised me with a decadent chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. The whole experience was fantastic and recommend this jewel of a restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealNissa88Dined on 7/11/2014They were really nice here our server was great. Food was excellent it is definitely a vibrant atmosphere perfect for families and still pretty/romantic. The only complaint I have was the booth seemed too far from the table so I sat on the edge for the entire stay that could be eliminated by a table/chair seating though I am always a booth sort of gal. My husband didn't like the shoestring type fries I did however. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch meetingMeravigliosoDined on 7/10/2014We were seated quickly, waitstaff provided excellent service, the Caesar salad with grilled chicken was tasty and the lunch was reasonably priced. What more can you ask for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014My wife and I ate at J. Alexander's recently for my birthday. I ordered the filet and it was outstanding. It was cooked perfectly. The cocktails were also outstanding. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Great for steakAtlantasamDined on 7/9/2014My Dad loves the steak filet kabobs, and they are not always on the menu. However, the kitchen always accommodates our requests, and makes them perfectly for him.Special Features:
- Always ConsistentDisappointedDined on 7/4/2014We go to J. Alexanders all the time because the food is consistently good as well as reasonably priced. Great Martinis!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationPicky60Dined on 6/29/2014Took my husband to J. Alexander for a birthday celebration and soon as we entered the door I knew it was a good choice. We were greeted and immediately taken to our table. Service was great and the food was very good. This will be one of our date night spots!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I had the best time and the food was great. My service was spectacular. Cody was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.