J. Alexander's - Columbus
7550 Vantage Dr
Columbus, OH 43235Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Columbus
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: (614) 847-1166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Drew Kline
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Columbus
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
J. Alexander's - Columbus - Best Restaurants in Worthington ›
J. Alexander's - Columbus reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (98)romantic (67)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (24)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Awesome serviceLouieDined on 11/22/2014Very accommodating and fantastic service. Will definitely be back. Strongly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but getting pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014Food here is always great and consistent. Never a bad meal. I think they have raised their prices though to the point where their price does not match worthiness. Steak Maui, which I have ordered for the past 15 years at this location now is at a cost of $34 and does not include a salad. These are major high end steakhouse prices. Again, food it fantastic but they continually raise prices but I guess supply and demand. If they raise the prices and their volume does not drop they will continue to do so. I will continue to dine here but will now weigh it against high end steak chains when deciding to spend this much money or simply go less frequently. Does not take away though the excellent quality of their food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in townmconner614Dined on 11/21/2014J. Alexanders has the best prime rib I have ever had. I have eaten prime rib in many restaurants and this place takes top honors. It is noisy inside. We placed our table reservation ahead of time and we had zero wait time when we arrived. Ambiance is very warm. Wait staff are very accommodating. Food is outstanding. And of course the prices are high. Great place for a special dinner with that special person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, wish they had more beers on tapWegermamaDined on 11/15/2014We love this restaurant. Their prime rib and steaks are outstanding, but there is such a great variety of other dishes. There is something for everyone - burgers, sandwiches, rattlesnake pasta is perfection. My only complaint would be their selection of beers on tap. There are times when we would love to dine there, but we are in the mood for Guiness, Stella or other beers you can commonly find at other places. Expand your taps and it will be perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- intotrackVIPDined on 11/15/2014Our server, Mike A, was efficient, discreet, and pleasant. I ordered the barbecue ribs (I always order them!) They were outstanding as usual. I really like the atmosphere as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and outstanding food!PaulDined on 11/15/2014This is our favorite. We go there for every celebration. The food is always great but the carrot cake is to die for. The staff works as a team to provide a superior level of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhHakunaMatataDined on 11/14/2014Nice place and good food. Ahi tuna steak was good. It took an hour and a half for our dinner. They said they would do something nice for us at the end to make it up. The didn't do anything. That leaves a bad taste in your mouth after a hundred dollar dinner.
- good service good foodmemeDined on 11/10/2014Took my fiance here for the first time for his birthday and the food was great. Best pork I ever had!!! Wonderful staff our waitress Holly was one of the most attentive and professional i have ever had. Would def go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joyfulfamilydinnersDined on 11/9/2014I reserved online and through phone a table on Sunday night just 20 minutes before arriving at. I had requested a booth or a round table. They gave me both!! Food was great. It was expensive but worth it. Great service, friendly waiter. Must try their carrot cake!!!Special Features:
- Used to be the "Go to" spotCaricVIPDined on 11/8/2014This used to be my go to spot for some fine dining and relaxing atmosphere. Unfortunately, it seems this chain has started to do cost cutting measures while keeping the prices the same. The Alex Salad used to be great, now I would call it "Ok". The croutons are now just normal croutons instead of the "shredded" ones they used to have, and they no longer give you a honey drizzled croissant with you salad/meal, which was always a delicious addition. The food is still not bad, but for the prices I am paying, I expect much better than "not bad." The menu has also changed over the times (Nothing stays the same), but right now it just seems to have more "basic" items for a high cost vs. the higher end dishes they've had in the past. Ambiance has changed a bit as well. It seems to be a MUCH louder place than it used to be, not sure if it was the table we were at this time, but it was much louder than usual for dinner. Also, there are pod lights that shine down on the tables, and they felt like a spotlight. They add a very harsh brightness to the table, when we asked the server if they could turn them down a bit, we were told it wasn't possible. There was a candle on the table as well, I honestly didn't notice it for most of the dinner as it was seriously overly bright from the overhead "spotlight". The restaurant has a very nice ambiance when not being spotlighted, but when those lights are on, it's just painfully bright while you are eating/talking. Service also was sub par, our drinks ran dry twice, which was a first for us at this restaurant. If I'm in the neighborhood and hungry, I might give them another try to see if it gets any better, but it's no longer going to be my first choice.
- wonderfulbooboo11Dined on 11/8/2014It was so nice, my husband and I were out to dine to celebrate our 40th, We have not been out to eat for 10 years, Thank you for the desert, it was great. Thank you for great service, want to return soon!!Special Features:
- Dining experience 11/07OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014I hadn't been to J.Alexanders in almost a year and after my experience last night, I was reminded why I need to visit more! I am a huge foodie and customer service lover and this place not only delivered exceptional food in a very timely manner but also delivered great customer service. I have already raved to 10+ of my friends and will be visiting again soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationBcelebDined on 11/4/2014I wanted to take my wife somewhere special for her birthday and j alexander's is the perfect place. One of the nicest restaurants in the entire Columbus area. Great food, atmosphere, and service.Special Features:
- Anniversay dinnerfoodforthoughtDined on 11/1/2014Wife liked ahi tuna, I had prime rib which was so so. The atmosphere was good. Overall I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating and yummy...sonjafrauDined on 11/1/2014We had a group of 9: 6 adults, 2 toddlers, and an infant. While their reservations max out at 8, they allowed us to all sit together and helped us to get the table set up so we were all relatively comfortable. The server was willing to put in the mac and cheese early to keep the toddlers happy while we waited on the main course to arrive. I had the calamari and the prime rib and they were excellent, as usual. My only complaint is that we all thought the salad came with the meal, so we were a bit surprised that it was an additional $6 per person. It was a generous portion, but it used to come with. Also, we still miss the yummy croissants they used to have! Bring them back!!!Special Features:
- Coulda been better.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Service was not poor it was nonexistent. Seated waitress asked instantly for drink & app order, we were unready, waitress did not return for over 20 minutes. Server asked for extra app sauce & none ever arrived, waitress did not drop by. Delay to dinner was lengthy, plating was sloppy & there were/was fingerprints and grease smear around the edge of plates. No pecans in salad one or 2 discernible pieces, couscous was bitter and loaded with blackening-and I like blackened fish or beef. Ribs were good & others dining had decent meals. Waitress never checked on progress or quality, lastly the wait to get the check was forever. The time from sitting down till I paid the bill was 2:06 minutes, this is a too long for a J Alexanders meal.
- Amazingluvs2eatDined on 10/31/2014As always, the experience was wonderful. Did was delicious and savored with each bite. Our server was attentive and gracious. She guided me to pick my Maui steak entrée and double - checked to ensure I enjoyed it which I certainly did. The ambiance was perfect. Dark but well lit with Friday night energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for family meetElpesoteVIPDined on 10/28/2014Met my two nieces and their significant others at J. Alexanders for dinner. Location right off of 270 was perfect for everyone. Anyplace that serves grilled artichokes with a dipping sauce as an appetizer will get a visit from me as so few places offer the entire artichoke. Delicious, and gave me a chance to have my nieces try them as well. Im not going to list everything that everyone had but I can tell you that everyone had a great meal, from appetizer to dessert. Waiter was outstanding as well, paced the meal perfectly, worked in each couple as they arrived, made great recommendations. First time I have visited Alexanders and found it very nice, indirect low lighting making for a romantic quiet spot as well.Special Features:
- Not too happy!Not77pleasedDined on 10/25/2014I have always loved J Alexanders! We used to go a lot so we had some time and went Saturday. Not only did our favorite dish The Steak Maui raise in price $5.00 but it no longer comes with a salad unless you pay $5.00 more for it and take your side away! Really! ! That's awful and a deal breaker for us! That all doesn't make one bit of sense and will definitely have us at the steak house around the corner for that reason ! I'll miss J Alexanders ! Bad decision in my opinion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014My steak was very undercooked, and my wife's was overcooked.
- J Alex's keeps delivering!RicoDined on 10/17/2014In spite of all of the construction on High Street (route 23) J Alexander's was packed Friday evening. The food, as usual was outstanding (I had the Prime Rib) and the service was outstanding. Our server, Brad, is a delight - funny, knowledgeable and always on top of things. We look forward to return soon.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Our service was excellent. Food was great. The atmosphere is very nice.Special Features:
- Excellent!dadssheerjoyDined on 10/15/2014We visited J Alexander's to celebrate a special occasion. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014We celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary here this week. We wanted to go to a place that has great food, service and atmosphere and found all of these at J Alexander's. We really enjoyed our meal and evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodRicoDined on 10/4/2014J Alexander's always delivers on great food at affordable prices. We've been going to this restaurant for many years and look forward to many more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!FoodieDined on 10/3/2014Atmosphere is great, food is fabulous and the carrot cake is out of this world!Special Features:
- SweetDoodlebugDined on 10/3/2014Excellent overall! Calamari, filet, prime rib, service. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere and FoodDublindinerDined on 9/30/2014We were celebrating with another couple and knew where we wanted to go for good food, excellent service and a quiet atmosphere. From the time we walked in the door until we waddled out we were treated like royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the usualSogoDined on 9/23/2014We are frequent diners at J. Alexander's but was sadly disappointed with this last meal. The macaroni and cheese, and vegetables were not cooked thoroughly, and they placed us under an air vent, which was blowing powerful cold air. Left disappointed and let down, they have always had consistent meals. Do not buy the steak rolls, either, terrible.
- Great food! Nice lighting.WilmonVIPDined on 9/23/2014Very nice restaurant. There were too many fruit flies so that was a little disappointing. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as always... butJAlexDined on 9/14/2014The food at J. Alex is always wonderful, and once again they did not disappoint. Only REALLY odd thing was that they decided to no longer sell half-size side salads. In other words, if you want a "side" salad with your steak (instead of a an "entree" salad) it is not available... unless 2 people want to split a large salad. You can only buy a full size salad. I asked the chef & manager about it and they said they could no longer afford to include the 1/2 size salad for free with entrees. I said I was happy to pay for it. They said, "Sorry, we no longer offer 1/2 size salads." What !?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedjsteph03Dined on 9/13/2014First visit. Incredibly busy. Glad we made a reservation. Atmosphere was amazing. Told by friends to try Filet Oscar. Apparently there is a crab shortage and therefore there is no crab on the menu? That is what our server told us. Sounded funny to me...Steaks were mediocre. Mashed potatoes had zero flavor. Would have preferred my birthday dinner across the street at J. Gilbert.Special Features:
- amazingdatenightDined on 9/10/2014This was the perfect restaurant for our five year wedding anniversary. It was our first time being here and we have already recommend it to many of our friends. Perfect for a nice romantic dinner away with just the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionDiscriminatingDinerDined on 9/9/2014Our food was so amazing we had the pork tenderloin from the menu and the filet mignon vegetable skewers from the specials. Each was very hot when it was delivered and the marinades and sides were delicious. We really enjoyed their super cold water that was freshly ionized and served in a chilled glass. Waitress was very attentive but not bothersome. large booth was wonderful for privacy for birthday. I can't wait to go back it's one of those meals that you think of and desire to have again. Although much of the menu is higher end they're sandwiches and other items on the dinner menu that could be chosen for someone who is more on a budget.Special Features:
- Best Prime Rib in TownTheICCDined on 9/9/2014I've never been disappointed here, whether it's a business lunch or date night. Some of the best menu highlights for me are the Danish baby back ribs, French dip and the prime rib...all of them perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, great, love this placeLynette1BlackmonDined on 9/8/2014I have been to J Alexander's many times and it is always amazing. The atmosphere is great, the service is great, the food is amazing (love the macaroni and cheese, ribs and key lime pie) everything I have had was fantastic but those are my favorites. I have many co-workers come in from area's of the country and also recommend J Alexander's, it gets no better then J Alexander's. Keep up the amazing work, THE BEST PLACE HANDS DOWN IN THE COLUMBUS AREA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- timingVCJCDined on 9/6/2014We have always found that the experience with your restaurant to be great. It is important to be personal with the guests but not linger. The timing of the delivery of the food needs to be spread out so that the dishes don't stack up on the table, i.e., still eating salads when main course arrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Priced for Value ReceivedCrankyEddyDined on 9/5/2014We have not been to J. Alexander's for some time. Since our last visit, they no longer serve their special rolls with dinner, the salads were smaller, and the choice of side-dishes have been reduced. The rare prime rib ($27) was excellent; however choice of size has also been eliminated. $10.50 for one Crown Royal? Not likely to return.
- Outstanding with fine diningLuv2dineDined on 9/5/2014Highly recommend J Alexander's for that perfect evening with that special person. Aosphere was great our waiter Chad was the greatest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionScottyDined on 9/4/2014Daughter came to visit and it was the right place to dine, have a nice American dinner, and and have a good conversation without a noisy atmosphere.Special Features: