J. Alexander's - Columbus
7550 Vantage Dr
Columbus, OH 43235Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Columbus
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 6148471166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Drew Kline
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Columbus
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
J. Alexander's - Columbus - Best Restaurants in Worthington ›
J. Alexander's - Columbus reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (101)romantic (61)fit for foodies (46)good for groups (41)notable wine list (39)neighborhood gem (36)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (15)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fantastic as always... butJAlexDined on 9/14/2014The food at J. Alex is always wonderful, and once again they did not disappoint. Only REALLY odd thing was that they decided to no longer sell half-size side salads. In other words, if you want a "side" salad with your steak (instead of a an "entree" salad) it is not available... unless 2 people want to split a large salad. You can only buy a full size salad. I asked the chef & manager about it and they said they could no longer afford to include the 1/2 size salad for free with entrees. I said I was happy to pay for it. They said, "Sorry, we no longer offer 1/2 size salads." What !?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedjsteph03Dined on 9/13/2014First visit. Incredibly busy. Glad we made a reservation. Atmosphere was amazing. Told by friends to try Filet Oscar. Apparently there is a crab shortage and therefore there is no crab on the menu? That is what our server told us. Sounded funny to me...Steaks were mediocre. Mashed potatoes had zero flavor. Would have preferred my birthday dinner across the street at J. Gilbert.Special Features:
- amazingdatenightDined on 9/10/2014This was the perfect restaurant for our five year wedding anniversary. It was our first time being here and we have already recommend it to many of our friends. Perfect for a nice romantic dinner away with just the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionDiscriminatingDinerDined on 9/9/2014Our food was so amazing we had the pork tenderloin from the menu and the filet mignon vegetable skewers from the specials. Each was very hot when it was delivered and the marinades and sides were delicious. We really enjoyed their super cold water that was freshly ionized and served in a chilled glass. Waitress was very attentive but not bothersome. large booth was wonderful for privacy for birthday. I can't wait to go back it's one of those meals that you think of and desire to have again. Although much of the menu is higher end they're sandwiches and other items on the dinner menu that could be chosen for someone who is more on a budget.Special Features:
- Best Prime Rib in TownTheICCDined on 9/9/2014I've never been disappointed here, whether it's a business lunch or date night. Some of the best menu highlights for me are the Danish baby back ribs, French dip and the prime rib...all of them perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, great, love this placeLynette1BlackmonDined on 9/8/2014I have been to J Alexander's many times and it is always amazing. The atmosphere is great, the service is great, the food is amazing (love the macaroni and cheese, ribs and key lime pie) everything I have had was fantastic but those are my favorites. I have many co-workers come in from area's of the country and also recommend J Alexander's, it gets no better then J Alexander's. Keep up the amazing work, THE BEST PLACE HANDS DOWN IN THE COLUMBUS AREA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- timingVCJCDined on 9/6/2014We have always found that the experience with your restaurant to be great. It is important to be personal with the guests but not linger. The timing of the delivery of the food needs to be spread out so that the dishes don't stack up on the table, i.e., still eating salads when main course arrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Priced for Value ReceivedCrankyEddyDined on 9/5/2014We have not been to J. Alexander's for some time. Since our last visit, they no longer serve their special rolls with dinner, the salads were smaller, and the choice of side-dishes have been reduced. The rare prime rib ($27) was excellent; however choice of size has also been eliminated. $10.50 for one Crown Royal? Not likely to return.
- Outstanding with fine diningLuv2dineDined on 9/5/2014Highly recommend J Alexander's for that perfect evening with that special person. Aosphere was great our waiter Chad was the greatest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionScottyDined on 9/4/2014Daughter came to visit and it was the right place to dine, have a nice American dinner, and and have a good conversation without a noisy atmosphere.Special Features:
- business lunchmjrfromgranvilleohioDined on 9/3/2014Good for business lunches one on one or small groups. Our office is nearby so we go here for that purpose rgularly. Can be a bit noisy for good interaction with larger groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great service not so goodAustinIdol1Dined on 9/2/2014Felt like the meal was not coordinated from a server perspective. Had only 2 of 4 menus, then waiter spoke so fast you could not understand him. Apps came right before main course. Plates were wore out but clean. For some reason had water with no iceSpecial Features:
- 35th Wedding Anniversay CelebrationLacal99Dined on 9/1/2014This was our first visit to J Alexander's and was pleasantly surprised to see the Coffee rub Rib Eye since we just heard of this from the last Food Network Star. I had to try it and it was great. Steak was cooked perfectly. The guys had the prime rib, also done to their liking. We had a very nice, relaxed evening and really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks for being open on Labor Day so we could celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional and friendlysecondofficeDined on 9/1/2014Our visit to J. Alexanders was a delight. Meeting old friends and having lunch. The team of professionals that work here take very good care of you and have a personality that is delightful while doing their jobs.Special Features:
- Great Food and AtmosphereCarolVIPDined on 8/30/2014Love this place. Usually treated better than a Cameron Mitchell restaurant but slipping a little there. Hopefully just transitioning because it is a favorite of ours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCouplesnightoutDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I went to this restaurant for our anniversary. The service was excellent and so was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!tsaemomDined on 8/30/2014We eat here often, and the food is always fantastic. This visit I had the filet kabobs and they were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeLuvfoodDined on 8/30/2014This is the place to go if you want to have the best prime rib. I have never been there and had bad food or bad service. Their wait staff is wonderful. I highly recommend this restraunt to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAlexReviewRiverdog17Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I ate here on a trip for our niece's wedding. I chose J. Alexanders based on online reviews. The reviews were mixed, but way more good than bad (you can't please everyone). We were extremely pleased with everything, from the hostess seating us to our server, who was a nice young lady who obviously knew her job and did it very well. My wife had the filet mignon, which seemed a little pricey until the order arrived and there were TWO fillets! Needless to say, she took the other one home. I agonized over what to order but finally took a chance on the prime rib. It's always a gamble as to what you'll get but I hit the jackpot! One of the best meals I've had in a long time. Without drinks-about $75.00 inc. tip. Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Food was great. Good setting for an intimate date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disjointed Servicefritzy30Dined on 8/27/2014Having waited tables, I know and appreciate when poor service is poor service, not a backed up kitchen, etc. The server was trying too hard - everything was "a personal favorite," and she seemed overly anxious to please, but then failed to follow up properly. First, a different server tried to give us salads before we had even ordered - poor communication between servers? Then, our server did not know the special was sold out, our meals did not come out together, we had to ask for water refills (while we noticed other tables had bottles of water on the tables), etc. Once we finally had the food, she kept coming back to ask how everything was - too much. While the food was excellent, I left very disappointed. Get your act together!
- Fantastic ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Kelly made the entire dining experience perfect; she was ver attentive and fun and her timing for each course was perfect.Special Features:
- Great food, great atmospherekeithosuDined on 8/23/2014J Alexander's is one of our favorite places to eat. The atmosphere is great. The food and service is great. I love most of the entrees that I have tried but my favorite meal is Steak Maui, Mac and Cheese (best mac ever!) and the Carrot Cake. I am not a carrot cake fan anywhere else but at J Alexanders it is WONDERFUL. It is moist and warm, buttery and sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ol' FaithfulFredDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I love this restaurant. We regretted not coming here for our fifth year anniversary. This is a place that has great everything, from the drinks, salads, and Steaks you can never go wrong!Special Features:
- Solid Dining ExperienceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014As a frequent diner here, it is always a positive dining experience, and this past visit was no exception. The good selection of American dishes is well-prepared and fresh, and service is always first-rate. One of my top choices when I want to go out for a nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on our favorites listpc600VIPDined on 8/14/2014Good food. Nice wine choices. Reliable service quality and varietySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Noted on Open Table when I made the reservation that it was for a 16th Birthday. The restaurant did not acknowledge it - either they didn't get the notice on the reservation or failed to recognize it.Special Features:
- Ho Hum - Superb AgainVango70Dined on 8/4/2014We are regulars, for many reasons. Terrific food, great staff, consistently excellent. Exceptional flavors in EVERYTHING. Wait staff leaves you alone, but it always right there when you need them. Friendly without being cloying or chatty. Professional. Balanced menu, with daily specials - that are special. Very. Ice wines. Decor and ambience well-done. First class without being flashy. A must-go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it~RitaDined on 8/3/2014Ate here for my 23rd birthday and it was well worth the money. I ordered the prime rib and it was so juicy and flavorful. My only complaint is a lot of fat on the piece I had as well as wished they added a bit more eggs in their deviled eggs appetizer.Special Features:
- Favorite spot in C'busfoodie888Dined on 8/3/2014They always have great food, service, and drinks. J. Alexanders never disappoints.Special Features:
- j'stoddDined on 8/1/2014By far our favorite dining spot. Visited several throughout the country and never dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service!!!FoodSnobDined on 7/26/2014Fabulous last minute choice. Best service we have experienced in a very long time!! As someone who has worked in the service industry in the past, I was very impressed with the teamwork and attention to detail. Food was great!Special Features:
- A long time favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014J. Alexander's has been one of our favorite restaurants for 15 years or more. Great combination of good food, ambiance, and consistently good servce. I like the privacy and comfort of their booths, while still being in an "open" setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Food was amazing. The temperature in the restaurant was very warm. Server was not very friendly and we waited 20 minutes before she came back and took our food order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weederVIPDined on 7/21/2014Both the steaks and the seafood is delicious at J. Alexander's. The wait staff can make good recommendations re the menu as well as the wine list.Special Features:
- little portion sizescmc1Dined on 7/19/2014The service and food have always been goood every time we've dinned at J-Alex, but the portion sizes have been reduced. Bread or Rolls used to be served as you were waiting on dinner but no longer are an option, seems to be if you want to leave with a satisfied appetite you will have to order a appetizer. This used to be my go to place for special occassions but will look elswhere in the future. I choose J-Alex for my 26 wedding annivsersary and we both were not pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good stuffhungryDined on 7/19/2014been going here off and on for years . the food is always good , the service spot on, like going in the evenings the best. can't beat the side dishes the other day i wanted something a little lighter for my sides and got the dreaded broccoli and it too is all but perfect, save room for desert! (carrot cake yum!) my biggest pet pea is cleanliness and its always clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceFoFoDined on 7/19/2014Best place for a great prime rib dinner. Great staff, cozy atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- Tasty dinnerSarahDined on 7/17/2014I'm so glad we chose to celebrate our anniversary here! The food was so good and the staff was friendly. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- intotrackVIPDined on 7/16/2014I always order the ribs. They were outstanding!!! Our waitress, Erica, was a jewel. She was pleasant and knowledgeable. We felt like we were her only customers. A superb job of serving and food!!!!!Special Features: