J. Alexander's - Cincinnati
2629 Edmondson Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45209Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Cincinnati
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 5135317495x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Samuel Seaver
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
A word from J. Alexander's - Cincinnati
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
J. Alexander's - Cincinnati - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
J. Alexander's - Cincinnati reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)great for lunch (43)romantic (41)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Service has left the building!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014Can't believe how poor the service has become! Servers don't seem to help each other out anymore, which for a party of 10 is not acceptable! This is not a place for large groups!
- Menu ChangeJP1980Dined on 8/23/2014This was our third time dining here. My wife and I were surprised to find the menu had changed. More Pub Style food (steak & fries, ect) and less "real food". Check online or call before selecting as your restaurant of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseJulieDined on 8/23/2014The food was good & not overpriced. The staff was friendly and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and overratedcapncookDined on 8/22/2014I have been to numerous upscale steakhouses, including other jalexanders locations, and this one just didn't measure up. Pros: the queso dip appetizer is delicious and quite addictive. The mac and cheese is always fantastic. Cons: The noise level was so high it was difficult to hold much of a conversation and we has to text each other at a few points just to avoid yelling across the table. The restaurant was really hot, not just a little warm, but hot enough that the faces of waiters were dripping sweat from running round the restaurant in their formal wear. Lastly, I found a foreign object on my steak. Some piece of metal probably from the grill brush. I didn't want a new steak, but the manager didn't even come out to offer up a sorry.
- Fantastic service!chungclanVIPDined on 8/22/2014We took my mom for her 82nd birthday, and the wonderful service provided by J. made it a memorable occasion. Everybody enjoyed the food, which is, for the most part, simply prepared with good quality ingredients. We all enjoyed the local heirloom tomatoes from Hazelfield farms, one of our farmers' market favorites. The martinis were upsized with an extra "sidecar" on ice for seconds. Domaine Chandon by the glass was an excellent value at $8. Dessert was a mountain of dense chocolate cake with ice cream and hot fudge that the four of us could barely finish. Overall we had a great time.Special Features:
- Excellent6stringerDined on 8/9/2014Been a fan of J Alexander's for years. Food quality is always fantastic and the service is always great but they always find a way to make the experience better for the patrons. We don't always get what we pay for these days, but here, I always do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Job, we'll be back!ThanksDined on 8/4/2014First time visitors and everything from Hostess, to waiter to food was great, will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Outstanding EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014Outstanding week night visit. Not over crowded and family had a great time with plenty of variety for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in Cincinnati.BestinCincinnatiDined on 8/3/2014Ever since J Alexanders opened in Cincinnati it has become my favorite restaurant. I have never had one problem with anything: service, food, wait time, noise level, quality of food, etc. You will never go wrong eating at this restaurant. I travel the world for a living and when I return home the first meal I always have is at J Alexanders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasiononehandwondrfullDined on 8/1/2014I brought my daughter here for here Sweet 16. I was expecting an atmosphere that consisting of fine dining you know a salad fork, soup spoon, wine glass and water glass. That's what I have been told about J. Alexander's all these years. But entering the establishment it was beautiful but total opposite. It was a great casual dining experience that gave my daughter the best memory for her Sweet 16.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuRSavorsDined on 8/1/2014While I enjoyed a prime rib meal, my wife had great difficulty finding adequate choices for a gluten-free diet. She settled for the roasted chicken but it had been heavily basted, leaving an oily aftertaste. Consequently, I will not return to J. Alexander's.Special Features:
- good food great serviceSkipVIPDined on 7/29/2014Super place to enjoy and very good menu selection. Specials and regular menu is always makes it nice. Servers provide great attention to needs.Special Features:
- Always on point!LuckyVIPDined on 7/28/2014The staff is always on point and welcoming. The menu offers a wide selection of delicious dishes. Our whole family enjoys this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tboneDined on 7/26/2014Very pleased , they seated us before our reservations , service was on top of the entire experience , the staff was very friendly . The food was very good . Overall great experience and will return .Special Features:
- Good for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Definitely a place for a a special occasion. Was a little pricey for an ordinary steak house. Don't really get much for your money. Everything is extra. Definitely have had better steaks at other steak houses. Glad we had a nice experience but probably won't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Experience!GerriHVIPDined on 7/18/2014J Alexander is understated elegance. Perfect for a special occasion, business meal or just lunch. I had the steak burger which was delicious but a but messy. My companion has the grilled chicken sandwich, which she said was great. Service was excellent. Make reservations - the place was packed at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great establishmentPACEDined on 7/12/2014I had a great experience at J. Alexanders. I made reservation online in two minutes to celebrate my Girl friends 25th Birthday. The food was great good atmosphere and the best servers around. We really enjoyed the food and the setting. Overall I would rate J. Alexanders 9 out of 10 stars. I will rate 9 beacause they removed a lot of signature dishes that left them with a slim selection of dishes.Special Features:
- WoebmacVIPDined on 7/10/2014J Alexander's always lives up to its reputation for great food and service. The staff is very attentive, getting to know specific orders and preferences of guests. I would and do recommend J Alexander's to anyone looking for a great spot for a business lunch. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my very favorites favoriteslocaldinerDined on 6/30/2014meet friends here regularly for lunch. prime rib sandwiches are outstanding - substitute mac n cheese for french fries. be sure to try the warmed carrot cake with glaze - generous portion - enough to share. staff is outstanding - knowledgeable, helpful, bright. centrally located - easy access from I75. make a reservation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014items offered on the menu were not acutally availableSpecial Features:
- Good but too expensiveIrritatedDined on 6/27/2014I had a $100 gift card from work. It was only my husband, 13 year old son and myself. We all ordered the $31 filet with béarnaise sauce. The waiter asked what we wanted on our baked potato. I asked if it came with a salad. He said it was only $1 more. I said "So that means each meal is $32 correct?" He said yes. When we got the bill for $124 we were more than a little surprised. We only had a soda, iced tea and a water. It was a wonderful meal but I was very clear about what I was expecting when the bill came. After feeling taken, it ruined what was to be a nice evening. My husband did not want me to say anything at the time to avoid the evening becoming more unpleasant.Special Features:
- Happy Fathers DayDeanDined on 6/15/2014The kids planned a weekend at a cabin for the end of the month so my wife and I were soloing. Can two solo? Oh well? She surprised me with a trip to J. Alexanders for an early lunch after church. Easy parking, beautiful day. Had pre-determend to get the Prime Rib but the Sunday Brunch offerings superceded my plans. Eggs Benedict with a filet filled my plate and she had the Belgium Waffle with a Champaine Cream and Strawberries. There should be SIX stars on the review. We split each others and had a ball. Our waitress was super, good service, great attitude. Arnold said it best "I'll be back" DeanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Father's DayTerryDined on 6/15/2014We had a great mean with three generations of Fathers and four generations of family. Lovely setting and great food. Wonderful service too!Special Features:
- Catch up timebuddyDined on 6/14/2014Met with two of friends for a late lunch. Our group was a bit smaller then usual, but the three of us had a good time talking and enjoyed the summer fare.Special Features:
- Not horrible but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014I can't help but feeling that I spent a lot of money for "okay." I think my main issue is that it took my asking the waiter at least 20 minutes after ordering if our salads were coming out soon to actually get them. Maybe he forgot to turn the order in or another server was to bring them but it did not set a good tone. This was Saturday night but the restaurant was definitely not at capacity. The food was good but really, if it weren't for my husband liking their prime rib, we probably wouldn't come back.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsTheEscapistDined on 6/7/2014Nice place, great staff and possibly the BEST SALAD I'VE EVER HAD. But then our steaks came and they were near flavorless, not to mention undercooked to our specifications. The Steak N Fries is similar to O'Charley's Louisiana Sirloin, but not nearly as good and close to twice the price. We kind of soured on the place after that and skipped dessert. But who knows, maybe if you go for something other than steak, it's amazing. Maybe just apps and a big salad? Ambience-wise, it was pretty standard family-chain-restaurant, with a few screaming kids.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistently great!Keith2dineDined on 6/3/2014I'm a fan and a regular here now! Food is always great, very accommodating and consistent. I always know what to expect. Stage is friendly and courteous. Favorites are the crab cakes, steak&fries or this time I had the ahi tuna steak. I'm told the burgers are amazing and try the fleur de lis is you want a different martini. Why is 50 characters required here? It kinda makes me crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Larry NagerLarryDined on 6/1/2014Fabulous Sunday Brunch. Wonderful atmosphere and great service. Loved the brunch menu. I had the lemon risotto pancakes which were delicious. Very reasonable prices and fabulous $5 Bloody Marys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keepinitrealnotfakingDined on 5/31/2014Not bad, for the prices, I could have found a better meal. The service was very good, and the setting was nice. I would recommend it, but you should lower your prices to cognize with the quality of the food. I don't mine paying for what I get...the food was good, but not worth the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud!CsparksDined on 5/30/2014Great food, but there was a group seated next to us who needed to be told to keep it down.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLILiDined on 5/30/2014Reservation at 7, seated at 7:50. This does not work when a 3 yr old is in the group. Brought family for graduation celebration and was very disappointed. Fan blowing right on table. Forgot my 3 yr olds meal, not good. Food was high quality but the rest of the night was a mess. Staff was friendly but couldn't clear tables for our reservation.Special Features:
- Prime Rib Sandwich 11WineMe1Dined on 5/28/2014The prime rib sandwich seems smaller than it once was, and it did not have any fat, which is where the best flavor is. Perhaps when I order that again I'll request a slice that has fat. Their horseradish sauce is delicious and perfect with the rib. Love their french fries too! Service always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great luncheon experienceTnCountryGirlDined on 5/23/2014I made reservations, and the hostess was prompt in seating my family members upon their arrival. Our waiter was very attentive, and eager to serve our group of six. The food was served within a timely manner, and was fresh. The ambience was cozy, and relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014Their Ahi tuna burger is great. I hope they put on the regular menu for both lunch and dinner. All three people at my table ordered the tuna burger and enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Great Staff!llm1968VIPDined on 5/11/2014I have received nothing but wonderful service from Martha at the bar. She always takes care of me and any guest that I bring in for Brunch on Sundays. Your Chef and Managers are most hospitable. Susan always greets you with a smile and makes sure that her guests are taken care of. Thank you!! Laura MSpecial Features:
- Great serviceDrDanDined on 5/11/2014Even though we arrived early on a busy Mother's Day, we were seated quickly and received phenomenal service.Special Features:
- Mother's Day score!HappyMomDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day was our second trip to J. Alexander's. Our first visit was a little disappointing, since both our cuts of meat were a little tough - tasty and cooked perfectly, but tough. After my initial feedback, J. Alexander's asked us to give them another try, and I am so glad we did. All the things I had heard about the quality of the prime rib and steaks was true - we had a wonderful meal. Very busy, being Mother's Day, but everything came to our table quickly, and once again, the steaks were cooked perfectly. This was a memorable experience. Thanks for inviting us to take a second chance, J. Alexander's.Special Features:
- Mother's Day LuncheonRickDined on 5/11/2014Sever was a nice young man, but we had to ask for bread and a dessert menu. Not what I expect out of JA (food was excellent)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The food was not acceptable for the price. The meat on my filet kabob was very tough. I don't even think it was actually filet. They also don't serve water until you ask for it. The waiter could barely hear to take our orders over the noise of other diners.
- Outstanding!JeanneDined on 5/10/2014This was only my third time there, and it was fanastic again. Excellent service, excellent food, and the a shout out for the carrot cake!Special Features: