J. Alexander's - Chattanooga
2215 Hamilton Place Blvd
Chattanooga, TN 37421Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Chattanooga
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: (423) 855-5559
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Tucker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Chattanooga
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
J. Alexander's - Chattanooga - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
J. Alexander's - Chattanooga reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)romantic (26)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (16)great for lunch (15)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Entertaining out of town friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Went on a Sunday evening with another couple. The restaurant was fairly quiet and perfect for a relaxing time to catch up with old friends. We ordered Maui steak, a club sandwich, rattlesnake pasta - all delicious - and shared carrot cake (best we've ever had) and key lime pie (terrific.) Service by Kate was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014When I made the reservation I requested some type of acknowledgment of husbands birthday which was not done, but other than that food and atmosphere was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great food, exceptional service!!!ChelliegDined on 11/18/2014I enjoyed my latest visit to J. Alexander's better than any other. I always enjoy dinner here, but this visit was the absolute BEST ever! The service we received from Andrew was unreal....he had the best personality and attended to every need we had before we even knew we needed it. He made this visit the best ever. Food was spectacular as well. Already looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JA is always a great experience.JC93VIPDined on 11/14/2014Good good, excellent service and a well crafted drinks make JA consistently stand out in sea of chains. The entire staff is engaging and work to make every experience a good one. Management is on the floor ensuring that service is seamless. We regularly go to J Alexander and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will do it again36BladzeDined on 11/8/20141st time at this location 2nd time eating at J. Alexander. Service great, waiter great, food greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very loud!RuthE5783Dined on 11/5/2014The major thing we have repeatedly found wrong with J Alexander's is the noise level. It was hard to talk among our party. This was our 30th anniversary dinner with the family and we had to reach over the table to hear each other. I didn't mention our anniversary so they didn't know but we were placed at a table next to the kitchen. Watching the cooks and servers roll napkins became a topic of conversation, I was disappointed in that. I guess I should have asked for another table when we sat down but we were hungry and didn't want to wait for another table. Our server was fantastic and the food was as great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaggieVIPDined on 10/31/2014My husband had the social- filet tips grilled.they were over oped and tasteless but excellent management took over and took it off the bill. I had the crab cakes. Excellent and expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingsamrosVIPDined on 10/26/2014The restaurant serves generous cocktails (almost a double), but the food was a confusing mix of flavors and styles, not worth the $$$.
- Great choice!ChrisDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our 2nd year Anniversary at the Chattanooga location. Great experience! We couldn't have picked a better restaurant. The ribs were outstanding! I took my son back for lunch 5 days later at the Duluth, Georgia location and had the ribs again. Wonderful! Thank you J. Alexander's for exceeding our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisyFineDinnerDined on 10/24/2014Very noisy hard to carry on a conversation across the table. Everything else was excellentSpecial Features:
- Scrumptious!DisappointingDined on 10/18/2014Consistent ... quality, service, experience. J Alexander's never disappoints. The food is superbly prepared, the servers helpful and efficient and the atmosphere is just right for an upscale casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but...hungrymommaDined on 10/17/2014Person put wine in front of wrong diner, I told him it was mine so he placed it near me. He never spoke one word the entire time. Not sorry, not hello, not enjoy, nothing. I thought it was rude. Two different servers placed food on the table that did not belong to us. Our waitress and hostess was pleasant enough and the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aimee n KevinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We chose J. Alexanders based on reviews from Friends. It met our standards for the most part. Steak was definitely over cooked or sat in the hot window for too long. The rest of our food was wonderful. Our server Andrew was awesome, just the right amount of class and sass! Our table was at the isle of the kitchen, no biggie but wasn't our favorite, and does not change our plans to visit J's again. We had a wonderful date night and again, our server Andrew was wonderful. I also want to thank the bartender, I had chosen a glass of wine and then changed my mind Andrew was busy at another table, I asked the bartender to change the order before it got made and she was very pleasant about the change. Her drinks were very consistent and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hitJC93VIPDined on 10/10/2014Been to JA many times with groups or with my wife and we always leave pleased. Food, service and the bar were great.Special Features:
- First timerDavidDined on 10/10/2014First time using OpenTable. Great experience!!! I will definitely use OpenTable again. Also the restaurant was just as great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the Beef?EmanVIPDined on 10/9/2014Caesar salad remains great, but a calamari app and a "where's the beef taco" were disappointing. The usual great team service was lacking tonight....service is usually is the best in the city...management seemed scarce this evening...and they are imho making a mistake by doing a premium chairman wine club with foley winery only.
- relaxed diningMariusDined on 10/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed a relaxed dining in a nice setting. Sofa style comfortable seating, appropriate lighting and generally a great atmosphere. Staff is very attentive and everything oredered arrives swiftly. Most important, of course, great food! We had tuna, which was perfectly done to order, and steak&fries, also great. Can wholeheartedly recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experience at J. Alexander'sAnniversaryDined on 10/4/2014It just happen to be my wife and I's 37th anniversary and we choice to drive from Huntsville AL to Chattanooga TN and it was well worth the trip. The manager made sure that our experience was quit pleasant and I would recommend to my friends and family because it is a time I will never forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above expectationsLittlebirdy777Dined on 9/19/2014Love love love the atmosphere! Perfect for our date night. Everything we ordered was amazing and the staff took great care of us! Will definitely be going back more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MartinisMotherTeresa04Dined on 9/19/2014We dine at J Alexander's often and love the food and the cocktails. The Fleur-de-lis martini is delicious. Service is good and food is consistently yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLove2dineoVIPDined on 9/14/2014Excellent food and excellent service. The crab cakes are delicious as well as the cilantro shrimp. The deserts are amazing. Highly recommend tryingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling rushedBrownieDined on 9/14/2014Main course came within 2 "bites" of salad (2-3 minutes). It sat there while we ate our salads hurriedly &'the main course was growing cold. Always been my favorite place in town till this visit - steak Maui for the first time was half fat & not chewable. Smaller crowd that evening - no reason for bringing the entre that soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!SmithDined on 8/30/2014I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED SO WELL BY A RESTAURANT! THEY EVEN HAD A CARD HANDWRITTEN FOR US THANKING US FOR SHARING OUR 16TH ANNIVERSARY WITH THEM.Special Features:
- Nice experience above avg dining.MandMFoodiesDined on 8/18/2014First time diners; really great food and experience. Waiter was not overly knowledgeable of ingredients within dishes or sauces. Enjoyed it, def would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attentive to food restrictionsKeybiDined on 8/9/2014The manager and server were VERY helpful assisting me with my order. My dr restricted me to a gluten/soy/dairy/sugar/corn free diet for fibromyalgia 2 months ago. Ordering anything other than lettuce has been a challenge at many restaurants. They literally created a meal for me! It was wonderful! Reminded me of my grandma's Sunday dinners. My husband and I had never been to J. Alexanders and plan to correct this habit. We decided on J. A's bc we were hosting a business meeting and needed a relatively quiet place. It was a little noisy but the offset corner at which we were seated made it a great place to discuss business. This restaurant will see us again soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014It was our 35 yr anniversary and our kids got a gift certificate for us here. We had traveled to Chattanooga for a get away long weekend. We read the reviews and all sounded good. We arrived and got seated right away. The room was a little noisy but that just means everyone was enjoying themselves.. The food was cooked perfect and the flavoring wonderful. The waitress even gave us a huge piece of white chocolate cheesecake to take home. Would recommend highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorJonman75Dined on 8/2/2014The service was great. The food was poor. I had a filet I paid $30 for that I could have cooked better at home. This restaurant was recommended by a family member that lives in the area and man we're we disappointed on our only date night out away from the kids. Dinner for 2 with 2 drinks cost almost $100. Save your money get a bottle of wine and order pizza.Special Features:
- Exceptional serviceTammyDined on 8/1/2014The food is always excellent. The service made this trip exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Awesome!CarrieDined on 8/1/2014Always Awesome! Filet ranks up there with a Ruth Chris steak. Tried Artic Char for the first time and it too was awesome (but, still had to have a bite of my hubbies filet). Always great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 134 reviews are from the J. Alexander's - Chattanooga reviews archive.
- Crab cakesLove2dineoVIPDined on 7/27/2014We were told they did not have crab cakes at this time due to cost, this was after we had been seated and that was the reason for our visit, they use to have delicious crab cakes and it would have been nice to have been informed at the start that they no longer had them but they were on the menu. So that was very disappointing since that's what brought us there. Over all the rest of the visit was good. The cilantro shrimp was very good if you wanted a shrimp dish. So ask ahead they may not have everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Food always very good and outstanding staff, training exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dinnerYumyumDined on 7/25/2014I have quite a few food allergies. Our server was very attentive and made sure to check with the kitchen before placing my order. The kitchen was very accommodating! We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was very much surprisesunnyDined on 7/25/2014Adam was our waiter & he did a outstanding job, we had travel & where tired & hungry, we had our table in 5 minute flat one off the waitress was their immediately , since Adam was busy, to take our order, but we never waited. I have been in the Restaurant business all me live, & expect good Food & Service. I will have to find one close to Ft. Myers Fl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome birthday dinner locationBestdinnnereverDined on 7/25/2014Spent my 52nd birthday here and nothing was a disappointment. Wait staff amazing. Her name was Chelsey. She was well informed on the menu and easily made recommendations on food and wine. She made my evening perfectSpecial Features:
- Very Good Gumbo and Caesar SaladEmanVIPDined on 7/23/2014Packed for lunch on a Wednesday...The soup and salad are worth ordering again
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Food was great! Service was great!! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at it's Best.motherofsevenDined on 7/19/2014If you are looking for an AWESOME place to dine, with great food, wonderful attentive prompt to do service and atmosphere and price. J Alexander's always delivers. Anytime we've come we're always SATISFIED CUSTOMERS. This our choice for Date Night, Family Time, Company Visiting, Anytime Dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014At the recommendation of Terrance at the TownePlace Suites, we tried dinner here and LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good ExperienceCGregularDined on 7/11/2014J Alexander's always provides a great meal in a great atmosphere. I had one of my favorites, the roast pork with smashed potatoes and my wife had the roasted chicken. It was a very hot day so Ii tried the Citrus Mojito - very tasty and light. An overall enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedmomofsevenDined on 7/6/2014I hate to complain- so I did not while I was there. Everything was good except for one thing. I ordered the filet mignon and it was very expensive so I was expecting the best. I always order filets wherever I go and I always order them well done and I am almost always very happy. But this one was practically burnt to a crisp! It was in 2 thin pieces rather than a thick cut like I am used to. And both pieces were charred black and they were so dry, I had to take a drink after every bite. Like I said- I always order my steaks well done but I have never ever gotten one that was burned like this one. It tasted burnt- all the flavor was cooked out of it. :( Very disappointing for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.