J. Alexander's - Chattanooga
2215 Hamilton Place Blvd
Chattanooga, TN 37421Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J. Alexander's - Chattanooga
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jalexanders.com/
- Phone: 4238555559x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Tucker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from J. Alexander's - Chattanooga
J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
J. Alexander's - Chattanooga - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
J. Alexander's - Chattanooga reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)romantic (30)great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (13)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- FantasticLove2dineoDined on 9/14/2014Excellent food and excellent service. The crab cakes are delicious as well as the cilantro shrimp. The deserts are amazing. Highly recommend tryingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling rushedBrownieDined on 9/14/2014Main course came within 2 "bites" of salad (2-3 minutes). It sat there while we ate our salads hurriedly &'the main course was growing cold. Always been my favorite place in town till this visit - steak Maui for the first time was half fat & not chewable. Smaller crowd that evening - no reason for bringing the entre that soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!SmithDined on 8/30/2014I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED SO WELL BY A RESTAURANT! THEY EVEN HAD A CARD HANDWRITTEN FOR US THANKING US FOR SHARING OUR 16TH ANNIVERSARY WITH THEM.Special Features:
- Nice experience above avg dining.MandMFoodiesDined on 8/18/2014First time diners; really great food and experience. Waiter was not overly knowledgeable of ingredients within dishes or sauces. Enjoyed it, def would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attentive to food restrictionsKeybiDined on 8/9/2014The manager and server were VERY helpful assisting me with my order. My dr restricted me to a gluten/soy/dairy/sugar/corn free diet for fibromyalgia 2 months ago. Ordering anything other than lettuce has been a challenge at many restaurants. They literally created a meal for me! It was wonderful! Reminded me of my grandma's Sunday dinners. My husband and I had never been to J. Alexanders and plan to correct this habit. We decided on J. A's bc we were hosting a business meeting and needed a relatively quiet place. It was a little noisy but the offset corner at which we were seated made it a great place to discuss business. This restaurant will see us again soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014It was our 35 yr anniversary and our kids got a gift certificate for us here. We had traveled to Chattanooga for a get away long weekend. We read the reviews and all sounded good. We arrived and got seated right away. The room was a little noisy but that just means everyone was enjoying themselves.. The food was cooked perfect and the flavoring wonderful. The waitress even gave us a huge piece of white chocolate cheesecake to take home. Would recommend highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorJonman75Dined on 8/2/2014The service was great. The food was poor. I had a filet I paid $30 for that I could have cooked better at home. This restaurant was recommended by a family member that lives in the area and man we're we disappointed on our only date night out away from the kids. Dinner for 2 with 2 drinks cost almost $100. Save your money get a bottle of wine and order pizza.Special Features:
- Exceptional serviceTammyDined on 8/1/2014The food is always excellent. The service made this trip exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Awesome!CarrieDined on 8/1/2014Always Awesome! Filet ranks up there with a Ruth Chris steak. Tried Artic Char for the first time and it too was awesome (but, still had to have a bite of my hubbies filet). Always great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakesLove2dineoDined on 7/27/2014We were told they did not have crab cakes at this time due to cost, this was after we had been seated and that was the reason for our visit, they use to have delicious crab cakes and it would have been nice to have been informed at the start that they no longer had them but they were on the menu. So that was very disappointing since that's what brought us there. Over all the rest of the visit was good. The cilantro shrimp was very good if you wanted a shrimp dish. So ask ahead they may not have everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Food always very good and outstanding staff, training exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dinnerYumyumDined on 7/25/2014I have quite a few food allergies. Our server was very attentive and made sure to check with the kitchen before placing my order. The kitchen was very accommodating! We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was very much surprisesunnyDined on 7/25/2014Adam was our waiter & he did a outstanding job, we had travel & where tired & hungry, we had our table in 5 minute flat one off the waitress was their immediately , since Adam was busy, to take our order, but we never waited. I have been in the Restaurant business all me live, & expect good Food & Service. I will have to find one close to Ft. Myers Fl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome birthday dinner locationBestdinnnereverDined on 7/25/2014Spent my 52nd birthday here and nothing was a disappointment. Wait staff amazing. Her name was Chelsey. She was well informed on the menu and easily made recommendations on food and wine. She made my evening perfectSpecial Features:
- Very Good Gumbo and Caesar SaladEmanVIPDined on 7/23/2014Packed for lunch on a Wednesday...The soup and salad are worth ordering again
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Food was great! Service was great!! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at it's Best.motherofsevenDined on 7/19/2014If you are looking for an AWESOME place to dine, with great food, wonderful attentive prompt to do service and atmosphere and price. J Alexander's always delivers. Anytime we've come we're always SATISFIED CUSTOMERS. This our choice for Date Night, Family Time, Company Visiting, Anytime Dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014At the recommendation of Terrance at the TownePlace Suites, we tried dinner here and LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good ExperienceCGregularDined on 7/11/2014J Alexander's always provides a great meal in a great atmosphere. I had one of my favorites, the roast pork with smashed potatoes and my wife had the roasted chicken. It was a very hot day so Ii tried the Citrus Mojito - very tasty and light. An overall enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedmomofsevenDined on 7/6/2014I hate to complain- so I did not while I was there. Everything was good except for one thing. I ordered the filet mignon and it was very expensive so I was expecting the best. I always order filets wherever I go and I always order them well done and I am almost always very happy. But this one was practically burnt to a crisp! It was in 2 thin pieces rather than a thick cut like I am used to. And both pieces were charred black and they were so dry, I had to take a drink after every bite. Like I said- I always order my steaks well done but I have never ever gotten one that was burned like this one. It tasted burnt- all the flavor was cooked out of it. :( Very disappointing for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceMamieDined on 7/6/2014The staff at J Alexanders offers outstanding service!Special Features:
- Always good!SusanDined on 6/28/2014Consistent with good food, service and delicious ! I think their salmon is the best in town. Great salads!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- husband's birthday dinnerhusbands40thbirthdayDined on 6/28/2014Just Alexander's was awesome. They gave my husband a free dessert for his birthday. Most places don't do that any more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantCT11Dined on 6/24/2014The experience was great at J Alexander's. I took my gf on a date for a special occasion and both the food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service!!restaurantgrlDined on 6/20/2014From beginning to end we received exceptional service!! Michelle was and is always our server of choice. Our appetizer was delicious and our entrees did not disappoint. If your wondering where to dine...J Alexander's is the perfect choice...Be sure and tell them Tish sent you! :)Special Features:
- all around favoritefoodcrazyDined on 6/15/2014This is our favorite restaurant in town. The food is excellent, service impeccable, and portions big enough to share. Don't miss the carrot cake, served warm and delectable.Special Features:
- Great Food /Eclectic CrowdEatWrite4HlthDined on 6/11/2014I had lunch here once and the food and service brought me back for dinner. Wed @ 7pm and I found it interesting there were a large number of families with small children. In addition, the personal dressing habits of diners ranged from shorts and t-shirts with sandles to business casual. Much less formal than the lunch crowd. I was hoping for a more upscale atmosphere for our anniversary dinner and a more intimate setting than this offers. The food was still excellent and the service outstanding so overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience. Again.kumquatDined on 6/10/2014It is known as a slightly pretentious, somewhat upscale, somewhat pricey, consistent provider of good food and drinks. The dark interior and moderate noise level don't make it a good fit if you're looking for an airy, light, conversation-oriented meal. Is a good fit for a dinner with a friend or spouse when you'd like good quality food staples paired with a good selection of drinks. Noise level at night tends to be greater than during the day, so this can be a decent place for a business lunch, if for 2-4 folks. Acoustics are not too good for larger tables/groups. Service tends to always be great and the kitchen runs well getting the food out timely and as ordered.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent ServiceEmanVIPDined on 5/29/2014Some of the best service in the city....flatbread was good, caesar salad very good, but the fried chicken turned out to be more of a chicken finger style....some of the accompanying sauces for many of the dishes tend to be overly sweet and out of balance
- What a treatKimmieDined on 5/26/2014We revisited J Alexander's for a Memorial Day lunch, and I am so happy we did. We were immediately seated in the upper section of the restaurant which was a perfect location for a pleasant lunch with my husband. Our service was outstanding and I will ask to be seated in Thomas' section again. He was so very pleasant and made sure we had adequate time to review the menu options and ask questions. As there is a food allergy in the family, this made us very comfortable. The food and cocktails were wonderful - Thomas recommended the grilled artichokes as an appetizer and I had the Maryland crab cakes for a main choice. J Alexander's really outdid themselves with this visit.....we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureStucksDined on 5/23/2014It's always a great pleasure to eat somewhere with great food and great service. Those are two key elements in why we continue to eat at J'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 112 reviews are from the J. Alexander's - Chattanooga reviews archive.
- Anniversary DinnerCherokeeSlimDined on 5/17/2014We celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary with a special evening out at J. Alexanders. We had made reservations and greeter was expecting us, the table ready even in a crowed restaurant, and seated us immediately. The food was excellent, the server attentive but not intrusively so. The server answered all of our ordering questions without having to go ask someone else, and answered my questions about modifying dinner options for the future. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just continues to impressJC93Dined on 5/16/2014J.Alexander's just continues to impress. The service is always attentive and engaging. The management team is visible but not overbearing while working to make each diner's experience special. The bar is exceptional with a professional staff. We go to J Alexander's regularly and have been consistently impressed by the food and the service. Open Table now makes dining there even easier!Special Features:
- Anniversary Hit!Anniversary32Dined on 5/15/2014The food was great and the staff was AWESOME. I was trying to organize a special 32nd anniversary dinner for me and my wife on 5/15. The plan was to have Mini's Florist deliver the flowers before we arrived and I was coordinating with your staff, particularly Taylor and Lauren, Scott and Brailin. But I have to give a special "Thank you" to Nicole, who took it on as a very personal matter to make sure the arrangements were correct. Her shift ended before we left so we weren't able to thank her personally but her efforts had a great impact on the success of the evening and I hope that she receives the appropriate recognition from J Alexander's. We will certainly be back.Special Features:
- A great dining experience3peasinapodDined on 5/11/2014We recently enjoyed J.Alexanders for a Mother's Day dinner. The ambience, service and meal were excellent. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting a great dining experience.Special Features:
- WonderfulnanapatgaDined on 5/11/2014The whole experience was wonderful. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUDBobsDined on 5/11/2014It was soooooo loud we could not carry on a conversation to the person across the table and barely with the person next to usI would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayTammyDined on 5/11/2014I took my mom to J Alexander's on mothers day for lunch. They were extremely busy, but with my reservation we only waited about 5 minutes. The service was fantastic and the food was great as always. They even had our favorite appetizer back for a limited time - the Huevos Rolls. It made our day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers DayHappymotherDined on 5/11/2014We made reservations for lunch for Mothers day and were not disappointed! We were seated immediately on arrival with no wait. The food is always good here and my Mother enjoyed everything from drinks to deserts! Thank you so much for taking reservations and more importantly being prompt with details. We love to eat here and will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Always a Nice ExperienceWellfedDined on 5/11/2014The food is always very good and the service is excellent. One of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.