1601 E. Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
East Passyunk Avenue
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.izumiphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 271-1222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday Dinner 5pm to 9:30. Friday and Saturday 5pm to 10:30. Sunday 5 to 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Corey Baver
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
A word from Izumi
Traditional Japanese (BYOB) with a Modern, Seasonal Twist. Izumi offers Unique Specialty Rolls and Sushi/Sashimi to compliment your sake or Beer. Located on East Passyunk Avenue across the street from the "Singing Fountain".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Izumi reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (22)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (17)special occasion (10)good for groups (6)scenic view (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- 2 stars out of 5johnnytDined on 10/18/2014They first sat us at the front table near the chefs, with no backs to the seats. Too loud. Then they forgot our second entree, as we waited and waited for a dish that never came. They offered an apology and dessert, which we passed on. They need to do a better job with customer service before i go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Never had a bad experience at Izumi. Food is outstanding and has a good atmosphere. My wife's favorite sushi spot in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we rememberRednotesDined on 10/9/2014we'be eaten here quite a few times and have always loved everything we ordered. This dinner however was not as great as we remembered everything to be. Our gyoza was undercooked and almost impossible to pick up. Our steak negami was so overlooked it was crunchy. We ordered the special for the night, soba soup. It was not soba! It was spaghetti with a weird watered down tomato sauce. The only great thing was the sushi, amazing as ever. But I'm thinking twice about going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodAmateurcultureDined on 9/18/2014We had the crab roll special, gyoza, sashimi and the spare ribs and everything bordered on magical. This place also had the benefit of being cheaper than Morimoto's! It is unfortunately BYO but there was a wine and spirits a short walk away; the bottle service was good though. If you like good sushi, you have to come here!Special Features:
- phillyruthieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014This was my second time to Izumi and i must say their service is phenomenal. They take your BYO beveraghe as soon as you walk iin to put on ice, are ridiculously accomodating, speedy, friendly and informative. excellent from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014BYO. Server was excellent, food was delicious. brought deseet with canlde for boyfriends birthday. three of us ate our little hearts out for $120. New favorite sushi place in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 8/23/2014Izumi is mediocre. It certainly is not a Saturday night restaurant. Although the server was attentive, the food came much too quickly. The seating was very uncomfortable. Since there are so many excellent restaurants serving sushi, I would not return to Izumi.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We had a great experience! The food, service, and atmosphere were all fantastic.Special Features:
- Spectacular Sushi & MorePhillyGirlDined on 8/20/2014Fresh creative sushi & specials. The rock shrimp tempura is a must order! Super attentive & helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi BYOAaronTVIPDined on 7/26/2014great food, quick and friendly service, waiter also willing to give suggestions and explain anything on the menu to someone who might be unsure or new to the sushi world.Special Features:
- Creative take on Japanese cuisinePhillydinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014We had a lovely outdoor table on a beautiful evening at this restaurant strategically place in the middle of the vibrant E Passyunk restaurant scene. The Rock Shrimp tempura was a generous portion of small shrimp in a golden batter with a wonderful slightly spicy sauce. The sashimi sampler had each fish paired with its own sauce, beautifully presented, albeit extremely small portions. The tuna with avocado was also beautifully presented but with a small amount of tuna sashimi. Perhaps the best was the Ginger Chicken served with Japanese risotto, which was crisp on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside and sized as one would expect for an entrée. Definitely would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Izumi reviews archive.
- Superb SushizengirlDined on 7/17/2014It was a great experience all around. We especially liked the Passyunk Avenue Roll. Excellent Sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine but...SpeedRacerDined on 7/13/2014Portions could be a touch larger, even a single dinner plate was not entirely filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sashimikathyDined on 7/10/2014Love this restaurant. Great food, fresh sashimi. Waiter is fantastic, very informative and we always take his choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014I was very happy with my experience at Izumi. Izumi is an excellent BYOB right in the middle of all the excitement in Passyunk. It was perfect for our group of 8 celebration. Amazing night, fun location with great food and service. The valet parking associated with Izumi also made the event very easy and stress free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SarahDined on 6/21/2014I brought 3 out-of-towner girlfriends here for a late dinner on Saturday night, and it was perfection. The scallop appetizer and the caterpillar roll were our favorites.Special Features:
- Absolutely worth a look- great!EBP3Dined on 5/9/2014Going to Passayunk Avenue for sushi sounds sort of like a disconnect to me... But we gave it a go, and are so glad we did. The food was very, very good- loads of options beyond the 'regulars' - and the service was over the top attentive and terrific. We- all five of us- really, really enjoyed ourselves, and will definitely be back. Soon.Special Features:
- OksarahyeehaVIPDined on 5/3/2014Sushi was ok, nothing spectacular. Wasabi was not real. No corkage fee was the only upside.
- Nice EPX BYOOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2014Nice light dinner with good veggie sushi options. Staff is always friendly and the atmosphere is breezy.Special Features:
- It used to be goodTonkCatSoupDined on 4/26/2014It was crowded so we got stuck at the counter with ticket machine and other random kitchen accessories right in front of us. They could use some work on the decor around the sushi building area. The waiter was also somewhat inattentive, and anytime we'd need him we'd have to flag him down. He didn't mention any specials either. The sushi quality was decent(I think it used to be better) but it's a little overpriced(small portions). I think when you get a $60 Sushi/Sashimi combo it should come with soup or salad, but here it's "a la carte". Also the fish in the sashimi was the same as the nigiri hand rolls, seems like a missed opportunity to add some more variety to the platter. We ended up ordering a couple more rolls and still left hungry.
- Yummy and FreshStillStunnedDined on 4/17/2014Went to Izumi recently to try a new sushi place, and boy were we surprised. The restaurant has a pleasing, simple ambiance. Relaxing music and candlelit tables set the mood. Was recommended the fresh specialty of the day, the live Uni, which was a big treat; it was still alive when it went into my mouth. Rock shrimp and dumpling appetizers were delicious and the rolls were beautiful and tasty enough to not require additional soy. Staff was friendly and the sushi chefs were meticulous. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in the CityKaden1636Dined on 4/12/2014Always an amazing time at Izumi. Our favorite sushi in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad experienceangelaDined on 4/12/2014We went on a Saturday night and sat outside. The server forgot we were there. they brought my dinner early and forgot my friends sushi roll. we were there almost 2 hours waiting for one sushi roll while mine just sat there in the heat. We saw our waiter 2xs in 2 hours. I had to chase down 2 people twice to get my friends dinner. And 2 people 2 times to get our bill with no apology. Will not ever go back. There are a billion other sushi restaurants in Philly and they are all better.
- great spotlovesouthphillydiningDined on 4/1/2014I have been to Izumi on a few occasions. Food has always been very good. A must is the rock shrimp; I have also tried a few of the Maki rolls and have never been disappointedSpecial Features:
- Great sushi, good pricesBYOB!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014Great sushi for a great price and its BYOB. perfection!Special Features:
- It's gonna be fineRosajflDined on 3/28/2014Izumi was good but not great. The atmosphere is nice but still relaxed. There just wasn't much to set this place apart for other upscale Japanese places in the city.Special Features:
- A disappointment for sushiFranVIPDined on 3/20/2014Although we liked the ambiance and the service was very good , we thought the sushi rolls were overpriced and nothing special.
- Good choice for sushiKevinVIPDined on 3/14/2014They keep it fresh and great additions to the menu. Wish their extraction system was better. You'll come out smelling like you were dropped in the vat of oil for the tempura. Wear something you don't love. Great service, the waiters are on the ball.Special Features:
- IzumiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014The place is pretty small and for couples or small groups. Service was pretty good. My girlfriend and I came for the live uni mainly and we were a little disappointed. The thing is that we have had pretty good japanese food in the past so our expectations were a little high. If you were just talking about the food, it was okay. The ten piece sashimi plate had ridiculously small piece of nigiri but it was still good. For the price you pay for here, you might as well go to other restaurants with more delicious japanese food. I was in and out in a little more than half an hour so I guess I was in it to try out the place more than I was there to enjoy the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in PhiladelphiaTheYetiVIPDined on 3/4/2014This is by far the best sushi place in the city. BYOB. Try the beef negimaki. The passyunk roll, kobe beef roll and the paradiso rolls are staples. They generally offer specials - try them, they are always amazing. The fish is super fresh. I'm a huge fan of the yellowtail and they also make a fantastic octopus. Off the charts good!Special Features:
- Love IzumiMelBDined on 2/28/2014This was our first time there. The service was great as was the food. We will definitely be back!! I think I have a new favorite sushi spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible SushinomnomdinerDined on 2/28/2014We eat sushi all the time and their restaurant week 4 course meal was amazing. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this place...beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/27/2014I loved this place...been here for a while but just made my first visit and was very impressed with the decor, service and of course the food... suggestion for winter periods, to have curtains to block the rush of cold air when the door was opened... other this minor inconvience, it was a great place...highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back...powersgirlDined on 2/25/2014I came here for the first time for Restaurant Week. The food was very good. We had the gyoza and pork belly for our 1st course, and both were fantastic! The pork belly was down right buttery. Then the 2nd course was a chef selection sushi platter. You only got 3 pieces and they were quite small. But the flavor was excellent. I'm not used to having condiments on top of my sushi, but I really enjoyed the pairings. And the third course were 2 types of maki. I'm not a big roll person, but they were both fantastic, especially the "caterpillar" roll. YUM. Finally, we got fried doughnuts with salted caramel dipping sauce... how can that NOT be delish??? I think I will definitely go back on a night when I can try the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need a bigger space!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014They need a bigger space! Excellent food and nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceCaptchaosDined on 2/15/2014This little gem offered high level sushi and apps. It's BYOB so if you like wine bring a bottle and save. My really enjoyed it and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to celebrateTimFDined on 2/15/2014I brought my now-fiance here right after proposing so we could celebrate. The ambiance was perfect (dark, but not overly so; gorgeous stone fountain built into the wall), the service was great, and we both really enjoyed the food. Looking forward to going back for our next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodIggsDined on 2/14/2014Low quality sushi, seaweed salad inedible, the food is awful
- perfect sushi spot on E. PassyunkCJD5Dined on 2/14/2014No complaints. The food was good and reasonably priced, the service was good and I definitely did not feel rushed to leave before finishing the wine I brought. Perfect if you are looking for a BYO in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodMrandMrsVanDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went for Valentines Day this year. We both had sushi which was ok, not the best I've ever had. The service was good. My only complaint would be that the tables are extremely close together. The party next to us kept bumping our table and were really loud, which made the experience undesirable. I think if it wasn't a holiday it would have been different. Overall, the place is pretty good.