Izaka-ya by Katsuy-ya in Manhattan Beach
1133 Highland Ave.
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Izaka-ya by Katsuy-ya in Manhattan Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.katsu-yagroup.com/izakaya_manhattanbeach.html
- Phone: (310) 796-1888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Izaka-ya by Katsuy-ya in Manhattan Beach
The Katsu-Ya group has 5 locations in Southern California and growing. Our founder and executive chef Katsuya Uechi tied for #1 ranking for Top Food 2006 Zagat Los Angeles guide. In addition, chef Katsuya has KATSUYA by Starck restaurants with SBE Entertainment in Brentwood, Hollywood, Glendale, L.A. Live and Laguna Beach. There are plans to open more restaurants outside of Southern California. A cool celebrity hang out Hyde Lounge on Sunset Blvd's menu was also produced by no other than our chef Katsuya. With partnership with Mutual Trading Company, the premier Japanese food supplier opened Sushi Institute of American (SIA) in downtown Los Angeles to train future culinary and sushi chefs. We are committed to bring fresh quality foods to all our locations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Izaka-ya by Katsuy-ya in Manhattan Beach - Best Restaurants in Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach ›
Izaka-ya by Katsuy-ya in Manhattan Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (43)hot spot (30)great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (16)good for groups (15)special occasion (13)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Best Sushi Restaurant in South BayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014One of my local favorites and I'm sad when I have to go to another sushi spot. The creamy Shrimp tempura on Spicy Tuna roll is the best roll ever. Sushi is always fresh and top grade compare to other sushi restaurants. Make sure you book a reservation in advance as it does get packed. Favorite Dishes: spicy Tuna on crispy rice, miso cod, tuna with crispy onions, toro tastingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/17/2014The best sushi in the South Bay and beyond! Try the new style salmon sashimi it will blow your mindSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumyumDined on 11/3/2014Good food and ambiance, their passion fruit martini was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service this time...2foodiesDined on 11/1/2014Izakaya is a true favorite of mine in the South Bay for sushi. The fish is always really fresh, and the dishes are usually amazing!! I had the worst service there Saturday night however. We waited so long for every dish we ordered. And then each time the server came back to our table, he brought back with the wrong dishes or drinks. Also, more than half of our order was forgotten along the way. We sat down at 8:30 pm and didn't really eat until 10pm. We were hungry and really annoyed. When I mentioned all of this to management they acted like there was nothing they could do. Very disappointing for such a high end restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid sushiYumyumDined on 10/23/2014Took my niece when I was in town for a conference. We didn't taste anything extraordinary; still, the quality is very good. I especially enjoyed one of the specials, spicy tuna on small cakes of crispy rice. The taste and texture were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChefMagazineEditorVIPDined on 10/23/2014For years, Sushi Katsu-Ya in Studio City was my favorite sushi restaurant -- and for more than just sushi. I called it a "poor man's Matsuhisa," because Chef Katsu and his team consistently provided delicious, beautiful, creative dishes. With the memories of those meals in my mind, I was sorely disappointed by the adequate food at this corporate outpost of the Katsu-Ya empire. Especially sad: The warm King crab hand roll at Sushi Katsu-Ya is transcendent. Here, it was not made from a beautiful crab leg; it was made with a sad mix of real crab and fake Krab. Sigh. The only dish that lived up to the original restaurant was the seared tuna with crispy onion. Otherwise, skip this place...
- Best place evervacayeatinDined on 10/17/2014We've been to every sushi restaurant in a 20 minute radius and this is the best place. It has reasonable items and special delicious more pricey items. The service is awesome and the food is great! what else could you ask for?!Special Features:
- East meets WestAnaWDined on 10/17/2014Great sushi, rolls and even for those who enjoy wine. It feels modern Asian; great sushi, fabulousesserts Japanes ice cream and Cree brûlée! I say it is a eastern food meeting with a Western flare . A perfect marriage .Special Features:
- Thursday date nightBirthdayDined on 10/16/2014This is our Thursday date night restaurant! Always delicious!Special Features:
- Great restaurantshardarVIPDined on 10/16/2014Go for the izakaya plate lunch special. It's the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServicejbdbVIPDined on 10/14/2014Celebrated my husbands '70' Birthday. Fun place to socialize, in addition to super food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncharacteristically SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014My wife and I tend to eat here at least once a month for the past couple of years and service has always been great. For whatever reason, last Wednesday, our service was horrible. Food was served out of order, our main dish took forever to be delivered to our table and our waiter was a mess. The food as always was top notch and delicious. I hope this was an anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, below average serviceNotaFoodieDined on 9/30/2014I think this restaurant has the best sushi in MB and the atmosphere is nice, but the service could be improved. It's just a little off. For example, when I sat down for dinner with one friend at 7:30 pm on a Tuesday they asked that I not stay longer than 1 to 1.5 hours because they needed the table. Just was not very inviting, plus it was unnecessary, as when I left about 1 hour later, there seemed to be plenty of tables. I keep coming back for the food, but just wish they would improve the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!southbayfoodieDined on 9/20/2014Awesome food, and great service. Everyone was really great, and super prompt. Food is excellent and surprisingly economical for the quality! My new spot!Special Features:
- Just Perfect!courtlynnVIPDined on 9/19/2014I just love this place! It is always delish, the service is great, and the atmosphere is casual yet trendy.Special Features:
- BEST izakaya in south bay!lapinlapinDined on 9/13/2014authentic and creative, amazing quality food. nobody else in the south bay does izakaya as well as they do. i've been a long time fan. we were late to our reservation and we called to ask them to hold the table knowing that's be a lot to ask on a saturday evening, but when we arrived, the hostess (as always) was very kind and accommodated us right away. we really really enjoyed our dinner and appreciated all the attentive wait staff and management. musts: crispy rice + spicy tuna; seared albacore and friend onions; steamed mushrooms (forgot the name but it's cooked in tin foil, indescribable, light and AMAZING flavor); seaweed cucumber salad (imagine all the delicate varieties of seaweed in various textures and colors).Special Features:
- Good sushi but ok serviceAndrewVIPDined on 8/28/2014Sushi quality was fine but smaller pieces than most, price is reasonable but service was ok. Server forgot my alcohol but at least I wasn't charged.
- Best sushiEikasurfDined on 8/20/2014Delicious, Clean, Friendly little place with super high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great neighborhood spotGHinMBVIPDined on 8/12/2014We live in walking distance to Izakaya and love it. The classic neighborhood spot where everyone knows somebody and the restaurant staff treats you like a guest in their home. Food is solid too.Special Features:
- IncredibleEspanolaVIPDined on 8/11/2014The food was fresh, tasty, plenty of food for you money. The rolls, the tempura and the dessert were all made to perfection. Truly loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California Sushi ExperienceRolentoDined on 8/11/2014Being that we were touring California, we had to try California sushi since we are from the east coast. After researching yelp and Open Table, this restaurant came highly rated. We were able to make a reservation on the same night for a table for two but I recommend making the reservation earlier as the place never died down. The crispy rice tuna appetizer was amazing but only came with 4 pieces. Prices were decent but specials seemed a little higher. Service was good but the restaurant is a little on the noisy side. Some tables were close together. Nevertheless, we had a great time and we sampled some delicious rolls. If you are in the Manhattan Beach area, give this restaurant a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fix the ServiceRichardFoodMavenDined on 8/4/2014I have eaten here many times. The food is very good, although sometimes a bit heavy with the oil. But this time the service was awful, very disconnected, nobody appeared at our table (after the initial drink order) unless we asked at least twice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentsailorjennyDined on 8/2/2014We love coming to Izaka-ya and could eat a million Crispy Rice with Tuna servings! The fish here is excellent and very fresh. Everything we ate was delightful.Special Features:
- Great food!! Excellent service!southbaymikeDined on 7/28/2014Love to take out of towners here cause food excellent, it's in sexy Manhattan Beach, and I know I'm going to eat well and be taken care of by the staff (hostess and waitress Sue get extra stars from me)..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both Amazing: Sushi & Service!TastefulDinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014From the amazing cuts of sushi/sashimi to the attentive, lively and positive service from Bruce and Susie, we had an amazing time. I was in town for business and had the opportunity to take a business associate out who also is a huge sushi fan - we were not only not disappointed, we were in awe! This place is a must for anyone with a discerning palate! My compliments to the Sushi Chef, the management and of course the two best wait staff in all of LA, Bruce and Susie, they couldn't have been more hospitable, attentive and kind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 121 reviews are from the Izaka-ya by Katsuy-ya in Manhattan Beach reviews archive.
- fantasticszenVIPDined on 7/16/2014the spicy crunchy tuna rolls were great! fantastic place all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Value!Samurai6VIPDined on 7/8/2014Their lunch combo's are great deals and extremely reasonable. Sushi/sashimi top notch. All kinds of fusion small plates. Service is good and friendly. Not a beach scene place but it is Manhattan Beach so you can dress like for the beach dude!
- Only Average - Maybe Just This OncenmwhitebirdDined on 7/7/2014We ordered the chef's special tray. Very average and uninteresting. Stick with sushi. Many items had no prices and the waitress gave us a price "range". Only Average service this time.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in Manhattan BeachAwesomeVIPDined on 6/12/2014I have always had the best fresh sushi and good time at this location.Special Features:
- Great sushitorre21VIPDined on 6/9/2014Traditional and original options. Great flavors! Try all the special rolls and the appetizers sampler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish sushi delivered quicklyaokayDined on 6/7/2014Enjoyed a delicious meal here with my 15 year old daughter. We especially loved the crispy rice with spicy tuna and seared tuna with fried onions. The 4 1/2 roll was also fantastic but rich as was a similar roll topped with fried shrimp in a creamy sauce. Would be a regular if I lived in the area!Special Features:
- Great sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Special items sushi were excellent. Beef...not so greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 日本にはよくある居酒屋caesarDined on 6/5/2014日本人の方向けに日本語で書きます。 料理はおいしいですが、ここでなければ食べられない、もう一度食べたいと強烈な印象が残るほどではありません。 雰囲気はキルビルのように、アメリカ人がポジティブに思う日本という感じです。Special Features:
- great food, noisyRichardDined on 6/5/2014Food was excellent, but noise level required yelling across the table and lip reading. Particularly liked the salmon, miso cod, and tempura in the box lunches. Nice decor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yum!SushiGeekDined on 6/4/2014I am somewhat of a sushi snob and my daughter wanted to go here because she loves to go there with friends. I was hesitant since she really doesn't like sushi and I tried to get to go to Nobu. She said "no Nobu gotta go here". I succumbed and WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED! Excellent sushi, fresh softshell crab to die for, Nigri Sake perfect, and the Unagi was so fresh. With good there is a little bad, the scallop roll had a little too much sesame oil but other than that great food. Close tables, friendly people, fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live scallopsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Get the live scallops....velvety and full of lemon. Amazing!Special Features:
- Popular with young peopleDiningDocsVIPDined on 5/20/2014This restaurant is basically standard Japanese sushi fare but has the "izakaya" name and the brand/chain behind it, which seems to put it on the radar screen of the younger (under 45) crowd. Their sushi platter is a good deal. Their noodle dishes are good. We miss our non-chain local sushi place that used to be on the same site as this restaurant as this one lacks personal touch. But they do a decent job.
- Food is always greatGeLiDined on 5/4/2014We come here every couple of weeks now. The food is always delicious. The only thing I didn't like about this go around, is the service was a little awkwardly slow. They are always on top of things and we don't leave without spending over $150. I have been here many of times and this is the only time it was slower than normal. Also my two kids love it! 4 and 7, and they love the baked hand crab roles.Special Features:
- Reliably good!DBHBCAVIPDined on 4/28/2014Always good, our go to sushi spot in the So.Bay period. Love it.
- Converted Me to Love SushiGeLiDined on 4/22/2014My boyfriend loves sushi, and me not at all. And he introduced me to here, and I fell in love. Crispy fried rice with spicy tuna, is awesome, and baked hand crab rolls are amazing.Special Features: