1830 Fourth Street
Berkeley, CA 94710Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.iyasare-berkeley.com/
- Phone: (510) 845-8100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Sun 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Mon, Wed-Th, Sun 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Shotaro Kamio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from IYASARE
Inspired by the artisanal ingredients and simple, rustic flavors of his native Tohoku region, chef-proprietor Shotaro Kamio blends the obscure with the familiar for surprisingly extraordinary tastes. Craft beer, wine and sake. Seasonal, locally sourced ingredients. Comfortable, casual indoor and heated patio garden seatingContinued
If there is no reservation available at your desired time, please call the restaurant. We accept phone bookings for our communal table, Chef's table and patio.
If there is no reservation available at your desired time, please call the restaurant. We accept phone bookings for our communal table, Chef's table and patio.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
IYASARE - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
IYASARE reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (153)neighborhood gem (100)great for outdoor dining (91)special occasion (82)great for lunch (58)romantic (39)hot spot (25)good for groups (11)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Try Iyasare for a perfect lunchNB61Dined on 11/19/2014My husband and I enjoyed an excellent lunch at Iyasare. The baby kale salad with apples was delicious, as was the CHICKEN KARA-AGE (fried chicken) with slaw. But the show-stopper was the KAKIAGE TEMPURA burdock root / yellow onion / sweet potato / shungiku / shiitake / bonito soy broth, with the black tiger shrimp. This was so unexpected I hesitate to describe it. Just take a chance and order! It's a very pretty space, pleasant service, and wonderful food. We can't wait to have dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iyasare specializes in small platesLovetoeatDined on 11/18/2014Iyasare specializes in small plates. Not many and not really enough to eat unless you have at least three or more. Lunch for two is about $65 with tip. There are few additions to the menu and since opening last December the manu has been static. It is an interesting restaurant but the chef should vary the menu more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/16/2014Our black cod was served mushy, the consistency of mashed potatoes, rather than firm the way it is supposed to be. the kitchen should have noticed that the preparation was substandard. However, the dish was served nonetheless. Our waiter was responsive and offered to prepare another piece, but reported that the kitchen felt that the fish was substandard and took it off the menu. the staff and management were very responsive and waived the cost of one of the two cod entrees we had ordered. They should have removed both entree prices from the bill. But the kitchen staff should not have served the fish in the first place. Other than that bad dish, the food is inventive, well presented and tasty. However some of the entrees, (the kobe beef and the daily special at $48 )are too expensive and not good values for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodStevAVIPDined on 11/12/2014good food and assorted choices but portions small so hard to share overall nice place for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stellar foodFishDined on 11/9/2014We took a friend out for her birthday and Iyasare was a winner. Incredibly fresh and innovative cuisine. Great service. Delicious dessert. It is a great restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014food was scarce and the prices where high, while the doog was pretty good I don't think it justifies the insignificant quantities servedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful fun mealxtrmtrkVIPDined on 11/8/2014Every course was beautiful and delicious. The foundation for the food is obviously Japanese, but I loved the California and french influences. I'll be back.Special Features:
- inventive and ambitious menuscolesDined on 11/7/2014* BEET CURED OCEAN TROUT - unbelievable - the star of the meal - tasted like sashimi * OKONOMI PANCAKE - bonito really strong - just ok but presentation was cool with bonito flakes “alive" * UNI RISOTTO -ours was a sea urchin - very heavy on sea urchin flavor - wasn't crazy about * Kakuni - shochu & sweet braised pork belly/ soy cured egg/ spinach - pork belly broth was great; everything else pedestrian * Unagi & Belgian Endive salad w/ roasted beet puree - puree was nice and unagi great but salad not really dressed * Kakiage Tempura - another pancake - this was tasty Drinks: Semillion - very good but light on pours Tokyo Drifter - good but not great - a bit lightSpecial Features:
- eat2liveVIPDined on 11/5/2014One of our party was gluten intolerant. Our waiter marked up the menu for us by checking the items on the menu that were safe (a lot of choices). We had a sumptuous meal with extremely attentive help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative Cal-Japanese Fusion FindwinewisedonDined on 10/31/2014Excellent cuisine served by a knowledgeable staff. Great pacing even on a busy night. Good wine list augmented by an outstanding offering of sakes. Beautiful plating of high quality seafood and meat dishes. Desserts are not overlooked and are a fine way to end the meal. Can be noisy when full. Outside seating even on brisk evenings is pleasant due to the abundance of gas patio heaters. A great addition to the East Bay dining options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 10/29/2014Food is superb but service is poor. I've eaten here four times and had disappointing service on three of those four occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adventuresome cuisineTimBVIPDined on 10/27/2014Very good and unusual cuisine, a blend of Japanese and California styles. Short but good wine list.Special Features:
- LOVELY FOOD; ITSY PORTIONSsheridanaVIPDined on 10/25/2014While we love the food and the presentation, the portions are quite small. Although I am a small woman, i left quite hungry after three of us ordered a good deal of food. Be aware that to feel 'full' you will wind up with a high costing meal!! Not sure we will return, as it used to be more generous with portion sizeSpecial Features:
- Excellent ExperienceTcupzDined on 10/24/2014As usual, Iyasare was excellent. The food was delicious. Simple ingredients prepared right. The restaurant was very vibrant. It was very clean and slick. I would recommend this experience to anyone.Special Features:
- This place has everything.GloryDined on 10/23/20142nd time for lunch, this time some salmon and a delicious grüner veltliner, fresh and crisp, perfect for the light food. It is such a relief to find a restaurant where one can talk. A quiet, relaxing ambience.
- UniqueIcemanVIPDined on 10/20/2014Very unique and creative food and presentation. Special deep fried flounder was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough!elephattDined on 10/12/2014In the day, it's much more casual, and they serve this delicious sendai ramen which really is the highlight of their menu. Be forewarned that it's not your typical pork broth ramen that you'll find at most places. It's a little more delicate, but still very flavorful. And the slices of pork atop the ramen are so succulent. Probably some of the best pork slices I've had. It's definitely a little fancier, so a little more pricey - but to me, it's quality food and very much worth the price. In the evening, it gets a little more romantic, and the plates a little more decadent. We're always suckers for the black cod, the salmon, the pork charshu, and the spicy mentaiko spaghetti may be one of my favorite things to eat from anywhere.Special Features:
- DIFFERENT BUT VERY GOOD!OpinionatedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Enjoy the meal very much, unusual flavors and textures. Worth while for the adventurous and experienced eater.Special Features:
- Excellent Place To EatfoodcriticforyouDined on 10/10/2014I found IYASARE on yelp and it had great reviews. I decided to take a potential client out for lunch there and it sounded very busy, so I made a reservation to save us time. We got right in and were given a choice of tables to eat at. The ambiance was great and the food was even BETTER. It was very noisy in there but tolerable considering all the other pluses. I think it was because everybody was loving it, like we were. The only downside for me was my fault in that I do not like seafood and everything but a chicken plate was on the menu. I wish I liked seafood because the client and everybody around us was raving about their dishes. I definitely will recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous, fresh foodcberkDined on 10/4/2014My favorite Japanese restaurant - and I grew up with Japanese food, so that's saying a lot. Every dish I've had is amazing! The drinks are great, and the service is impeccable. I recommend it to any and all. Just overall a fun dining experience with such delicious food.Special Features:
- 1st time but not the lastMacadooDined on 9/30/2014When we arrived, my son said, "This is a place where you'll take a photo of your food before you eat it. He was right. Beautiful presentation; wonderful food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful TimemrCotton100PerDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful date night. Food was fantastic. Dishes on the small side, but enjoyed every bite. Loved the mixed vegetable tempura dish and the pork belly was nice also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014This is an unusual Japanese restaurant with their own interpretation of some traditional dishes. For example, their delicious tempura is nothing like traditional vegetable tempura -- finely cut vegetables are made into triangle shaped patties and deep friend and served with a delicious dipping sauce. The raw scallops (umami) with sea urchin roe are delicious, as was the Alaskan black cod, the highlight of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014This is a restaurant where it is possible to have a conversation with the people you are eating with. Food is excellent. Don't miss the tempura with shrimp. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great japanese experienceGastronomer1VIPDined on 9/23/2014I went to this restaurant twice for lunch. The menu is interesting and different form most japanese restaurant, Everything is fresh and very tastySpecial Features:
- Birthday LunchnancyDined on 9/23/2014My friend and I ate outside. The service was wonderful, the food beautiful and delicious and because it was her birthday we were served a complementary dessert. All in all, a special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Food!petalsDined on 9/12/2014Fresh, high quality ingredients; unique combinations and flavor profiles; beautifully plated and served with care. My only suggestion is to continue to develop desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a journeytruemavenVIPDined on 9/11/2014Iyasare is a gourmet adventure. It's reason enough for a trip to Berkeley from Marin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- minnieVIPDined on 9/7/2014Best new restaurant we've tried in a while. An amazing combination of flavors and textures. Loved it!
- Sublime Cal-Japanese FarecichlisuiteVIPDined on 9/4/2014Like NoCal locavore trends, Japanese cuisine requires freshest ingredients and attention to detail to let those ingredients shine. Iyasare marries both influences to create an experience that is sublime but totally unpretentious. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love IyasareYummyDined on 8/31/2014Iyasare is our current favorite restaurant. The bartender is the best. He does everything right. And the food is delicate and yummy. Portions are a little small for the price so feeding a teenage boy is expensive.Special Features:
- WOW!!!GC140FBCVIPDined on 8/31/2014I loved this restaurant! In fact, our entire party of four loved it. We are huge fans of sushi/sashimi and knew that this would be a different experience in Japanese cuisine at IYASARE. The food was gorgeous: beautiful presentation, some unusual combinations. The Raman was wonderful! Since the lunch menu is so much shorter than the dinner menu, we will definitely return for dinner! I would love to try every item on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent ramen, lovely sitting outside. Will definitely try it again but still missing O'ChameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to hypeThyme2eatDined on 8/29/2014Iyasare provided an incredible, original Japanese based meal. The dishes are surpisingly filling as most of them contain seafood. One without seafood was the vegetable tempura Kakiage which was delicious. Highly recommend the black cod - silken fish in wonderful sauce, perfectly prepared. We had no room to eat dessert but they looked incredible. Service was relaxed and highly professional. Restaurant is beautifully appointed. This is a special occasion restaurant for people who like seafood prepared in a delicate, Japanese style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out with the old, in with the new!HawkeyeDined on 8/29/2014A dear friend took me for dinner to the restaurant that was Iyasare's predecessor. I was going to take another friend there in June when I discovered that another restaurant--Iyasare--had replaced it. My initial friend was very disappointed to hear that as it had been a favorite Berkeley destination, so for her birthday this week, I decided to take her to Iyasare to check out this new restaurant. We were both surprised and pleased by the delicious food and beautiful presentation. The miso soup was terrific and the unagi don was the best I've ever had (and I am an unagi afficionado!) It's a bit expensive for lunch, but fine for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JZeeeeeeeDined on 8/28/2014We had a great experience! Would definitely return. Expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseSimpletasteDined on 8/23/2014Not sure what to expect from this place as dishes from reviews looked interesting but they were all very tasty and delishesh. They ran out of the pork chop just as we ordered it but the waiter recommended the pork bell as an alternative and it was awesome. The dinner started late and we weren't seated until 20 minutes after our reservation but they got the food out quick. We ordered 7 or so dishes to share and they came in the perfect progression. Overall a great food experience to share among friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely divine!elephattDined on 8/20/2014I've been here a number of times now, and am always surprised by how much better it gets each time. I love that there's a changing menu - although when I find something I love, I am a little saddened to see it gone. But the food is just so delightful - it's clear that so much care is gone into the preparation and the presentation. This last time we went I especially loved the mentaiko spaghetti. I really had no idea what it was going to be like, but my god! It was some of the best pasta I've ever had - strewn with slices of squid, it was definitely my favorite of the night. I love the creativity they have with their food. I could on and on about it. Pricey? Yes, but one of the few places I think absolutely justifies their costs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Very disappointing after it appeared in S.F. Chronicle's "100 Best" restaurants. Overpriced, ordinary food. Caveat: I've been there only once, for lunch; perhaps the dinner menu is better. I'd be willing to give it a try.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The food was very good, but a bit "chi-chi" - trying too hard to be trendy. The black cod was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.