Ivy at the Shore
1535 Ocean Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
Ivy at the Shore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theivyrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (310) 393 3113x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 11:00am
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Irving
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Richard Irvin 3109634906x
A word from Ivy at the Shore
The Ivy’s tropical counterpart, Ivy at the Shore, offers the same delicious food plus icy island drinks, a 12-seat bamboo bar and beaut surfside view. Don’t miss the sunset over the Pacific with a Fresh Pineapple Daiquiri or two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Ivy at the Shore - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Ivy at the Shore reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)great for outdoor dining (69)great for lunch (68)great for brunch (67)fit for foodies (67)scenic view (62)romantic (60)neighborhood gem (53)hot spot (49)good for groups (46)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful meal. Portions can be large so sharing is a good option. Great for people watching if you're seated up front.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesCarenDined on 10/18/2014The food is always good. We always go to Ivy at the Shore to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- sadieDined on 10/14/2014the restaurant was over-rated. For a fine dining restaurant, portions were so large they were like a chain restaurant... not a whole lot of preparation just seemed like the food was already prepared and sent out to get the most business in. Our meals came out in less than 10 minutes.... Service was rushed... again seemed to want to turn over tables. Our meals were not noteworthy and all three of us left 3/4 of food on plates. They gave us two boxes of cookies to take home which were burnt.
- Ivy At the Shore is perfection!cg440Dined on 10/14/2014If you're in Santa Monica and want to have a wonderful dining experience, Ivy At The Shore is your best bet - wonderful playful decor, great service, delicious food and drinks - really an all around great LA spot right on Ocean at the beach!Special Features:
- Oldie but GoodieMalibuChaChaDined on 10/14/2014The Ivy never disappoints! Last minute reservation for an out of town guest. She was impressed!Special Features:
- Food was disappointingabagladyDined on 10/11/2014Have eaten here for many years. The menu has been completely changed and not for better. Steak tasted like it was seasoned with KC barbecue sauce and the French fries were greasy. On the positive side the service was excellent and complimentary champagne and cookies was a nice touchSpecial Features:
- Love it but very noisyKWestDined on 10/11/2014We've always loved the Ivy at the Shore; not sure why they moved next door as the old location was a bit more quaint. Difficult to carry on a conversation as the music and noise level is very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014We chose Ivy at the Shore for my birthday dinner because they always have stone crabs, one of my favorite things, It was a perfect evening, complimentary champagne greeted us...the world's most perfect wait person...every detail attended to....the stone crabs were perfect....the bartender made a perfect martini for my husband....the oysters were cold, fresh and delicious....the bread was warm and crusty...the key lime pie was perfect. Because there are no 10's, we gave our dinner a 9.9....everything worked and the ambiance made the evening perfect in every way which is very rare. Congrats to the Ivy at the Shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch with a girlfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014I have always enjoyed Ivy at the Shore and it is one of my favorite restaurants in Santa Monica. It never disappoints and this time was the same -- great service, vases of fresh roses on every table, complimentary champagne as we sat down and no rushing the table to be turned over. Perfect for a birthday lunch with a good friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem!TmanDined on 10/6/2014This restaurant is beautiful and a great place to watch the sunset over the Santa Monica Pier. The Ribs are to die for! Be sure to have a bit of cash on you for the valet!Special Features:
- Good food and service until billPepperdinemomDined on 10/3/2014We had a wonderful time, enjoyed the ambience & food. When we were seated we were asked if we wanted 'plain' or 'sparkling water' we said plain. When the bill came we had a $15 charge & my friend had a $30 charge for this 'plain' room temperature/warm water with no ice which they gladly kept filling-$45 for WATER. I told the waiter that in no way were we paying $45 for plain tepid water. He said that's what we wanted. I told him that plain meant plain TAP water.He said this was special 'plain' water.He brought over the manager & I reiterated again that we were duped & NOT offered a specialty water, we wanted plain TAP water. This is criminal & clearly cheating the customer. Bait & Switch. They took it off the bill.Special Features:
- Always reliableChesterVIPDined on 9/13/2014We took our friend who is a US diplomat for a Saturday lunch and the ivy at the shore did not disappoint. Great window seat to watch the passers by on the bluff as we we ate delightful crab cakes and the classic vegetable salad with shrimp. Really nice touch with a complementary glass of bubbly to get the day off to a festive start. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DIVINE AMBIANCE & FOODTobleroneDined on 9/12/2014This place is a gem. Especially romantic for dinner. The decor is southern chic, eclectic. Food is wonderful...even the guacamole is exceptional! Different than the Ivy on Robertson...Both are unique. The service is impeccable. Wonderful place to take a date. Or a best friend. And it's just steps from the beach. Lovely.Special Features:
- SpeedDiningScotVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have eaten here before and enjoyed it, but we were in the back room. This time we were in the main dining room. The food was good but the service was rushed and our waiter barely acknowledged us after taking the order. We were served and billed in fifty minutes. At this price point the meal should be relaxed and an experience. It really fell short on both measures.
- DannigirlDined on 9/7/2014I always enjoy coming here - The food and cocktails and beautiful decor!Special Features:
- So LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Lovely and delightful are the only words I could come up with to describe my brunch experience this Sunday. The ambiance and decor is truly lush. The food and drinks taste so fresh as if all of the ingredients were plucked from their source that morning. Our waiter was exceptional. He was so pleasant and charming. Drinks - My friend had the Black Pearl and I had the French Rose Champagne Sangria. Both drinks were phenomenal. Food - I had the crab cake Benedict and my friend had the lobster breakfast tacos. The crab cake was impeccable - all crab very very little filler. My friend said that the lobster breakfast tacos were amazing. She talked about them for the rest of the day. Then for dessert we went with the apple blackberry crumble.Special Features:
- Noisy but niceExploradusDined on 9/6/2014WE ate inside and it was quite loud when the place was full. The food was very good but nothing was over the top. WE were looking for "California " cuisine and we found it. Good and fresh....Pricy but worth it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ivy by the Shore Rocks..COMMISSIONER1Dined on 9/6/2014Ivy is still one of my favorites for the past 20 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NM11Dined on 9/1/2014I wasn't very happy with my experience at the Ivy at the shore. I'd been to the Ivy in Beverly Hills before and loved it, but this was nothing close to that. Don't really recommend it. Food was only "ok". It was overpriced considering the quality of food and service. I won't be a returning customer.
- Classy, fun breakfast spotJehnaDined on 8/31/2014We went for breakfast so this review is only about that. Great food, great service and clearly an 'it' place. Given the name and location, however, be prepared to pay. As a side note, from observation this place is more popular for dinner so breakfast is. Good quiet option but probably doesn't give you the full experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live well, Eat wellWehungryDined on 8/30/2014If you want delicious food in Santa Monica this is your place. Well worth the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled Salad Gold StandardMamaVIPDined on 8/28/2014The Ivy Grilled salad is legendary. A mix of fresh vegetables grilled to perfection. Other restaurants attempt to do this, but the Ivy's is still the gold standard. Add lobster and it is even better. The portion is huge. They will sell you a half order, even though you have to ask. This is not volunteered. The patio on an early summer evening may be the quintessential California dining experience.
- A Constant CharmerdBillDined on 8/27/2014One of our favorite restaurants in L.A., The Ivy at the Shore consistently offers a menu of delectable dishes made from obviously fresh ingredients, and served in a charming setting with superbly attentive but not intrusive service.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedMikeZVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been going to the Ivy by the Shore for the past 24+ years. Although we have enjoyed many of their offerings, my wife loves their smoke salmon pizza and salads and for me it's the Ricky's Fried Chicken. Assuming we don't get too full from our main course, we share a dessert which is normally their Crumble. My only complaint surrounds their specialty drinks. I have enjoyed an Ivy Gimlet or two over the years, however and I'm not sure when, they now ask if you want a special vodka which costs a couple dollars more (a pet peeve). In my opinion, a restaurant should not "up sell" a specialty drink with their name on it that costs $14, let the customer ask. That said we remain loyal guests, continue to recommend it and take friends.Special Features:
- FirsttimerFirsttimerDined on 8/24/2014Waiter tried to up-sale on wine (suggested a $90 bottle) and daily special ("Only ONE order left on the black cod in curry sauce!"). Notation on the reservation that it was a special birthday was totally ignored.
- Birthday BrunchJackVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our group of 9 enjoyed a Sunday birthday brunch at Ivy's at the Shore. The service was excellent, attentive but not intrusive; the decor is eclectic but beautiful; the food was very good and the kitchen was willing to accomodate our many off-the-menu requests. It is expensive but great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Bad experience ruined decent mealHoustonBobVIPDined on 8/21/2014When my wife and I went to leave, we discovered her purse and coat were missing. Someone moved the chair holding the purse and coat to another table and took the purse and coat to the front desk. We did not notice this as I guess we were talking. When I asked the manager why they took the purse and coat, he said they thought we had left. I told him we never left the table so I couldn't believe his explanation. He did not apologize for this matter. We will not return.
- Ivy at The ShoreonesweetlifeDined on 8/17/2014We love going to the Ivy! It makes for a wonderful afternoon of great food, great drinks and good company in a beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- RedroseoftexasDined on 8/17/2014Delightful! Loved the roses and fun atmosphere! The food and presentAtion was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and great foodrosskVIPDined on 8/16/2014Whenever we'er in Santa Monica, we try to fit in dinner at Ivy's at the Shore. While some folks may like to stargaze here, we like this place because it has great food and it's lively.Special Features:
- wilxDined on 8/13/2014Booked the Ivy on the recommendation of a friend for our anniversary. The interiors were spectacular as was the service and my wife loved it. We expected the same with the food but it was rather ordinary.Special Features:
- Nice but noisyRocklobsterDined on 8/13/2014The Ivy is a wonderful Santa Monica restaurant but can be a little noisy if conversation is on the agenda. Good food, great service and a terrific decor, The Ivy is a solid choice for upscale dining for locals and visitors alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Can't Go WrongSouthBayDinerDined on 8/13/2014Ok, it's a little pricey for everyday dining for some of us. However, the food is great, our server was everything one would want and you can't beat the ambiance. We had some out-of-town folks who hoped to have a sighting of someone they had seen on the screen. It didn't happen this time, but they loved everything else including the variety of up-scale dishes on the menu from which to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSusanVIPDined on 8/11/2014The service at lunch was really really not good in anyway. I had to actually get up out of my seat and go find the waiter at least five times. He never came back to us to ask us if we needed anythingSpecial Features:
- Dinner for 6PearlDined on 8/10/2014Great food, terrific service, unhurried pace, attention to detailSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casually elegant, romantic spacemagicaljrDined on 8/10/2014A romantic, foodie delight near Santa Monica Pier. Intimate space with beautiful lighting/flowers and attentive but non invasive staff. Have been eating here for over 7 years.. a lovely unpretentious but vibrant escape from the Beverly Hills/Hollywood restaurants.Special Features:
- pattytazzDined on 8/10/2014The soft shell crab appetizer was to die for. The drinks were perfect. It was an all round relaxing and happy experience.Special Features:
- So Pretty!KathleenLVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food is good here and the wait staff charming, in their pink shirt and floral ties. Giant cups of coffee and expensive drinks. But the decor is beautiful - pale pink walls covered in paintings and multi-colored arrangements of roses everywhere. If Bermuda had been colonized by the French and not the British, the decor of its restaurants might look like this. I simply loved being in this pretty place.Special Features:
- Good food with a viewjohnatVIPDined on 8/9/2014In my family, the axiom "restaurants with spectacular views often have the worst food" had held true for 30+ year. The Ivy is a rare exception. Within sight of, and only a few steps from, the foot of the Santa Monica Pier, the Ivy has reasonably priced seafood, salads, fish tacos, and oversized drinks and desserts. My wife and I shared two taco pkates --the lobster and the shrimp, which were plated with a heaping serving of black beans, avocado slices, salad greens, and a fresh tomato and onion pico. It was good and served quickly so we were able to rejoin the throngs on the strand to watch the sunset over the horizon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealfrequentflierfriendDined on 8/7/2014Last minute reservation, got right in. Seafood was very good, served incredibly fast. Tight seating, but expected. Overall, enjoyed Ivy at the ShoreSpecial Features: