Ivy at the Shore
1535 Ocean Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
Ivy at the Shore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theivyrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (310) 393 3113x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 11:00am
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Irving
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Richard Irvin 3109634906x
A word from Ivy at the Shore
The Ivy’s tropical counterpart, Ivy at the Shore, offers the same delicious food plus icy island drinks, a 12-seat bamboo bar and beaut surfside view. Don’t miss the sunset over the Pacific with a Fresh Pineapple Daiquiri or two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Ivy at the Shore - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Ivy at the Shore reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (111)great for brunch (96)great for outdoor dining (85)great for lunch (79)scenic view (72)fit for foodies (71)romantic (66)hot spot (52)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (49)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (13)notable wine list (13)vibrant bar scene (10)Show More
- Classy, fun breakfast spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We went for breakfast so this review is only about that. Great food, great service and clearly an 'it' place. Given the name and location, however, be prepared to pay. As a side note, from observation this place is more popular for dinner so breakfast is. Good quiet option but probably doesn't give you the full experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live well, Eat wellOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014If you want delicious food in Santa Monica this is your place. Well worth the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled Salad Gold StandardMamaDined on 8/28/2014The Ivy Grilled salad is legendary. A mix of fresh vegetables grilled to perfection. Other restaurants attempt to do this, but the Ivy's is still the gold standard. Add lobster and it is even better. The portion is huge. They will sell you a half order, even though you have to ask. This is not volunteered. The patio on an early summer evening may be the quintessential California dining experience.
- A Constant CharmerdBillDined on 8/27/2014One of our favorite restaurants in L.A., The Ivy at the Shore consistently offers a menu of delectable dishes made from obviously fresh ingredients, and served in a charming setting with superbly attentive but not intrusive service.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedMikeZDined on 8/24/2014We have been going to the Ivy by the Shore for the past 24+ years. Although we have enjoyed many of their offerings, my wife loves their smoke salmon pizza and salads and for me it's the Ricky's Fried Chicken. Assuming we don't get too full from our main course, we share a dessert which is normally their Crumble. My only complaint surrounds their specialty drinks. I have enjoyed an Ivy Gimlet or two over the years, however and I'm not sure when, they now ask if you want a special vodka which costs a couple dollars more (a pet peeve). In my opinion, a restaurant should not "up sell" a specialty drink with their name on it that costs $14, let the customer ask. That said we remain loyal guests, continue to recommend it and take friends.Special Features:
- FirsttimerFirsttimerDined on 8/24/2014Waiter tried to up-sale on wine (suggested a $90 bottle) and daily special ("Only ONE order left on the black cod in curry sauce!"). Notation on the reservation that it was a special birthday was totally ignored.
- Birthday BrunchJackDined on 8/24/2014Our group of 9 enjoyed a Sunday birthday brunch at Ivy's at the Shore. The service was excellent, attentive but not intrusive; the decor is eclectic but beautiful; the food was very good and the kitchen was willing to accomodate our many off-the-menu requests. It is expensive but great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Bad experience ruined decent mealHoustonBobDined on 8/21/2014When my wife and I went to leave, we discovered her purse and coat were missing. Someone moved the chair holding the purse and coat to another table and took the purse and coat to the front desk. We did not notice this as I guess we were talking. When I asked the manager why they took the purse and coat, he said they thought we had left. I told him we never left the table so I couldn't believe his explanation. He did not apologize for this matter. We will not return.
- Ivy at The ShoreonesweetlifeDined on 8/17/2014We love going to the Ivy! It makes for a wonderful afternoon of great food, great drinks and good company in a beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- RedroseoftexasDined on 8/17/2014Delightful! Loved the roses and fun atmosphere! The food and presentAtion was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and great foodrosskDined on 8/16/2014Whenever we'er in Santa Monica, we try to fit in dinner at Ivy's at the Shore. While some folks may like to stargaze here, we like this place because it has great food and it's lively.Special Features:
- wilxDined on 8/13/2014Booked the Ivy on the recommendation of a friend for our anniversary. The interiors were spectacular as was the service and my wife loved it. We expected the same with the food but it was rather ordinary.Special Features:
- Nice but noisyRocklobsterDined on 8/13/2014The Ivy is a wonderful Santa Monica restaurant but can be a little noisy if conversation is on the agenda. Good food, great service and a terrific decor, The Ivy is a solid choice for upscale dining for locals and visitors alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Can't Go WrongSouthBayDinerDined on 8/13/2014Ok, it's a little pricey for everyday dining for some of us. However, the food is great, our server was everything one would want and you can't beat the ambiance. We had some out-of-town folks who hoped to have a sighting of someone they had seen on the screen. It didn't happen this time, but they loved everything else including the variety of up-scale dishes on the menu from which to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSusanDined on 8/11/2014The service at lunch was really really not good in anyway. I had to actually get up out of my seat and go find the waiter at least five times. He never came back to us to ask us if we needed anythingSpecial Features:
- Dinner for 6PearlDined on 8/10/2014Great food, terrific service, unhurried pace, attention to detailSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casually elegant, romantic spacemagicaljrDined on 8/10/2014A romantic, foodie delight near Santa Monica Pier. Intimate space with beautiful lighting/flowers and attentive but non invasive staff. Have been eating here for over 7 years.. a lovely unpretentious but vibrant escape from the Beverly Hills/Hollywood restaurants.Special Features:
- pattytazzDined on 8/10/2014The soft shell crab appetizer was to die for. The drinks were perfect. It was an all round relaxing and happy experience.Special Features:
- So Pretty!KathleenLDined on 8/10/2014The food is good here and the wait staff charming, in their pink shirt and floral ties. Giant cups of coffee and expensive drinks. But the decor is beautiful - pale pink walls covered in paintings and multi-colored arrangements of roses everywhere. If Bermuda had been colonized by the French and not the British, the decor of its restaurants might look like this. I simply loved being in this pretty place.Special Features:
- Good food with a viewjohnatDined on 8/9/2014In my family, the axiom "restaurants with spectacular views often have the worst food" had held true for 30+ year. The Ivy is a rare exception. Within sight of, and only a few steps from, the foot of the Santa Monica Pier, the Ivy has reasonably priced seafood, salads, fish tacos, and oversized drinks and desserts. My wife and I shared two taco pkates --the lobster and the shrimp, which were plated with a heaping serving of black beans, avocado slices, salad greens, and a fresh tomato and onion pico. It was good and served quickly so we were able to rejoin the throngs on the strand to watch the sunset over the horizon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealfrequentflierfriendDined on 8/7/2014Last minute reservation, got right in. Seafood was very good, served incredibly fast. Tight seating, but expected. Overall, enjoyed Ivy at the ShoreSpecial Features:
- Summer at the beach!!!!!BheaterDined on 8/7/2014What a wonderful place for dining at the beach... Across the street however a major scene to etch.. The sunset from the outdoor patio is perfect. service friendly delightful nd they know their menu!!! awesome summer for crab claws or soft shell crabs. actually everything on the menu is awesome.. The desserts... OMG apple tartiine the best in Los Angeles.. remember this is basically the same as the ivy in Beverly Hills only at the beach.. A interesting mix of people..Special Features:
- Great food and nosiyMalibugirlDined on 8/7/2014Great lobster salad but very noisy and air conditioning was freezingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Great food as always. I've been to both locations and I would have to say that the location in Santa Monica has slow service. When we got there, it was just my husband and I and you would've thought we would've been in and out before the major lunch rush came in. Our waiter didn't check on us as much as I would've liked. and I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, but just courtesy to make sure we still had drinks and if we needed anything else, would've been great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Sistered orders carne Assada plate her beans were not good and she didn't eat eveythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AussietouristAussietouristDined on 8/3/2014We visited this restaurant on our recent trip to Santa Monica. This restaurant was by far the best restaurant I have ever been too. 10 out of 10 for food, service and ambiance. Our waiter was excellent, friendly, helpful, polite but not pushy. The food was magnificent. This restaurant certainly lived up to my expectations and beyond. Thank you for a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Santa Monica and will definitely return their on my next visit to USA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful PlacepatgDined on 8/3/2014It was beautiful the service was amazing but the food was fair I would maybe go back for brunchSpecial Features:
- Unbelievable ServiceCHLAWDined on 8/2/2014We had a wonderful experience. Have eaten at the Ivy on the Shore a number of times before. My wife and I take my aging parents. The waiter remembered us, brought some food early because my dad is always hungry, knew the wine I liked and treated us like royalty. The food was excellent and after dinner they brought my parents a free dessert and a box of homemade cookies to take home. It is so nice to see a restaurant show such kindness to an older couple that needs pampering. We will surely be back soonSpecial Features:
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014My family had an incredible experience at the Ivy at the Shore. We stayed in Santa Monica for four days and returned twice due to the outstanding food, ambiance, and wait staff. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- CorinneParkerDined on 8/1/2014I love that place when I am In LA, the ambiance, the food it is so romantic and still fashionSpecial Features:
- It was fantastic!CulverMelissaDined on 7/31/2014The good and our server (a very petite woman) was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Our family dinner at Ivy at the Shore was wonderful. The atmosphere is beautiful with all the colorful roses and the food was delicious. Our waitress was great as well. I would definitely recommend coming here if you are in the Santa Monica area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kinsalemasDined on 7/30/2014The food was only fair. The steak was good, as was the fish but the ribs were very dry and ended up hardly being touched on the plate. My son's meal arrived a good 20 minutes after everyone else had received theirs. That said, the waiter was very nice and apologetic and gave my son some delicious hot homemade chocolate chip cookies to take home as compensation for his late meal. They also did a fun birthday dessert with sparklers that arrived and delighted the birthday boy. For the price we paid for dinner for 5 with two shared entrees -- over $400 -- I think the food is overrated but the ambiance was lovely and the flowers on our table were gorgeous!
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We had a lovely meal at the Ivy - Shore. The food, ambience and service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PeachesDined on 7/24/2014We reserved for a party of 7 and then quite unexpectedly were a party of 4 and The Ivy accommodated us without any issues. The food is excellent and prices are quite high, so be prepared!Special Features:
- As bad as it getsMdantasDined on 7/23/2014Terrible. Unedible. This was the worst food i ate in years. The tuna tartar was so unrespectfully done that it looked more like a mess. The simple salmon dish was horrible. The place is pretentious without a kitchen to support it. We abandon the dishes and went out to eat elsewhere. Service was bad too.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedJGK11447Dined on 7/22/2014I've been to Ivy at the Shore a few times, as well as the Robertson location and have always been impressed. This time there was confusion between the server and his assistant, a long wait for drinks, lack of consistency on when they checked back with us. I was also unimpressed that they were unwilling to do any smaller portions of something for an 11 year old. I wasn't balking at the price, but didn't need a giant Caesar and a giant bowl of pasta for her. I'd think twice before coming back to dinner here, though i love the place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Not a fan, nothing special about the place besides the location
- ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014My reservation was for 7:45 and it was 8:20 before we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WendyDined on 7/20/2014This place is beautiful, and so are the people who eat here. My only complaint is that the service was really slow, and the restaurant wasn't that busy at the time. We waited almost 10 min. just to get water, another 15 for the wine I ordered. The food came out quickly once we ordered, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.