Ivy at the Shore
1535 Ocean Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
Ivy at the Shore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theivyrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (310) 393-3113
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 11:00am
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Irving
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Richard Irvin 3109634906x
A word from Ivy at the Shore
The Ivy’s tropical counterpart, Ivy at the Shore, offers the same delicious food plus icy island drinks, a 12-seat bamboo bar and beaut surfside view. Don’t miss the sunset over the Pacific with a Fresh Pineapple Daiquiri or two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ivy at the Shore - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Ivy at the Shore reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (81)great for outdoor dining (68)fit for foodies (65)great for lunch (62)scenic view (59)romantic (58)great for brunch (56)neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (49)hot spot (43)notable wine list (16)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Still goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Had not been to The Ivy at the Shore for a while as I don't live in Santa Monica. It is still a lovely restaurant. I won't make the interval to visiting so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service with LA atmosphereJBicrsDined on 11/18/2014I took a friend that was in down from Washington DC since I wanted her to experience an LA vibe with dinner. The food was excellent (she even had crab cakes, though that is a specialty in her area at home) and she enjoyed everything. We arrived early which was nice, because we could still hear each other talk! We had a long dinner, and ask time progressed, it became more and more noisy, though we could still hear each other, it was a bit more of a struggle. We were sitting on the patio so she could see the sunset, so perhaps inside the restaurant is quieter. But it accomplished everything that I wanted---great food with that LA atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nobody's paying attention other than the hostessManimaLDined on 11/11/2014$26 for a pasta with fresh tomato sauce, no prob, but it better be good for that price. Food was average at best, maybe worth $12 at your neighborhood restaurant. Wait staff completely tuned out. The Ivy used to be a gem, it's heydays long past it seems ... Too bad, great location.Special Features:
- Great for girls' lunchesLisaLou123Dined on 11/11/2014As a group of girls we lunch here for birthdays. Love the grilled vegetable chopped salad. The patio is always lively and you feel as if you've made lunch something fun and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful girls' night out!JRJMDined on 11/7/2014Remember that movie where she says, "You had me at hello?" Well, the moment you sit down you'll want to say, "You had me at the warm bread with crispy cheese melted all over it." I highly recommend the risotto followed by the profiterole. If you go for the guacamole appetizer, do not expect chips with it. They serve it with little pancake-like things that are really delicious. You'll need to ask for a few extra. But it's GREAT. The only thing as wonderful as the chocolate cookies that they send you home with is the service. Our waiter was Antonio and he made the evening tons of fun and really special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014My party of 3 was first directed to a table that I didn't like. No problem, almost immediately seated at an acceptable table. Service was slow due to kitchen problems. I hadn't seen my lunchmates in a while, no need to make an appointment after lunch so, the wait was not really a problem. However, the traffic back to Beverly Hills was horrible o/a 3pm so, in the future such a long lunch will not be possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat of a disappointmetlive2eatDined on 11/1/2014We were greeted at the door and given a complementary glass of Champaign. I told the woman at the desk that it was a birthday dinner; also told open table that it was a birthday dinner. We were given a pile of menus for mixed drinks, wine by the bottle. wine by the glass. We ordered drinks and then we got the dinner menu. We all ordered dinner and that was the last we saw of our waiter until it was time for dessert. The rest of the time we got the bus boy. We then told the bus boy that it was a birthday dinner and then the waiter reappeared and asked us what dessert we wanted for the birthday. We ordered one and it came with a flaming thing on it. Of course when the bill came we were charged for the dessert. Not our best experience.Special Features:
- Really fun eveningLazyjayDined on 10/31/2014My daughter and I are on holiday in Santa Monica and wanted an evening out.The place has lots of character and unique style...really enjoyed our meal the portion sizes are very generous.the service was good and friendly. Being from the UK the highlight was a really good pot of tea to end my meal...I could return this holiday to just enjoy more tea! Also felt it was reasonably priced for what we experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellent!Luv2dineVIPDined on 10/28/2014Everything was excellent, can't wait to go back! This is the perfect place for having fun with friends, a business dinner or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ivy at the Shore Delivers!VetyExyVIPDined on 10/27/2014Very good cheese bread, guacamole with tortillas, and The Ivy Sundae! Good food, reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California ClassicSPOTWDined on 10/24/2014Great business lunch. Attentive staff, fresh food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful meal. Portions can be large so sharing is a good option. Great for people watching if you're seated up front.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesCarenDined on 10/18/2014The food is always good. We always go to Ivy at the Shore to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014Went there for a lunch, laid back tropical beach atmosphere is very relaxing. Great mixed drinks. Food was fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- sadieDined on 10/14/2014the restaurant was over-rated. For a fine dining restaurant, portions were so large they were like a chain restaurant... not a whole lot of preparation just seemed like the food was already prepared and sent out to get the most business in. Our meals came out in less than 10 minutes.... Service was rushed... again seemed to want to turn over tables. Our meals were not noteworthy and all three of us left 3/4 of food on plates. They gave us two boxes of cookies to take home which were burnt.
- Ivy At the Shore is perfection!cg440Dined on 10/14/2014If you're in Santa Monica and want to have a wonderful dining experience, Ivy At The Shore is your best bet - wonderful playful decor, great service, delicious food and drinks - really an all around great LA spot right on Ocean at the beach!Special Features:
- Oldie but GoodieMalibuChaChaDined on 10/14/2014The Ivy never disappoints! Last minute reservation for an out of town guest. She was impressed!Special Features:
- Food was disappointingabagladyDined on 10/11/2014Have eaten here for many years. The menu has been completely changed and not for better. Steak tasted like it was seasoned with KC barbecue sauce and the French fries were greasy. On the positive side the service was excellent and complimentary champagne and cookies was a nice touchSpecial Features:
- Love it but very noisyKWestDined on 10/11/2014We've always loved the Ivy at the Shore; not sure why they moved next door as the old location was a bit more quaint. Difficult to carry on a conversation as the music and noise level is very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014We chose Ivy at the Shore for my birthday dinner because they always have stone crabs, one of my favorite things, It was a perfect evening, complimentary champagne greeted us...the world's most perfect wait person...every detail attended to....the stone crabs were perfect....the bartender made a perfect martini for my husband....the oysters were cold, fresh and delicious....the bread was warm and crusty...the key lime pie was perfect. Because there are no 10's, we gave our dinner a 9.9....everything worked and the ambiance made the evening perfect in every way which is very rare. Congrats to the Ivy at the Shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch with a girlfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014I have always enjoyed Ivy at the Shore and it is one of my favorite restaurants in Santa Monica. It never disappoints and this time was the same -- great service, vases of fresh roses on every table, complimentary champagne as we sat down and no rushing the table to be turned over. Perfect for a birthday lunch with a good friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem!TmanDined on 10/6/2014This restaurant is beautiful and a great place to watch the sunset over the Santa Monica Pier. The Ribs are to die for! Be sure to have a bit of cash on you for the valet!Special Features:
- Good food and service until billPepperdinemomDined on 10/3/2014We had a wonderful time, enjoyed the ambience & food. When we were seated we were asked if we wanted 'plain' or 'sparkling water' we said plain. When the bill came we had a $15 charge & my friend had a $30 charge for this 'plain' room temperature/warm water with no ice which they gladly kept filling-$45 for WATER. I told the waiter that in no way were we paying $45 for plain tepid water. He said that's what we wanted. I told him that plain meant plain TAP water.He said this was special 'plain' water.He brought over the manager & I reiterated again that we were duped & NOT offered a specialty water, we wanted plain TAP water. This is criminal & clearly cheating the customer. Bait & Switch. They took it off the bill.Special Features:
- Always reliableChesterVIPDined on 9/13/2014We took our friend who is a US diplomat for a Saturday lunch and the ivy at the shore did not disappoint. Great window seat to watch the passers by on the bluff as we we ate delightful crab cakes and the classic vegetable salad with shrimp. Really nice touch with a complementary glass of bubbly to get the day off to a festive start. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DIVINE AMBIANCE & FOODTobleroneDined on 9/12/2014This place is a gem. Especially romantic for dinner. The decor is southern chic, eclectic. Food is wonderful...even the guacamole is exceptional! Different than the Ivy on Robertson...Both are unique. The service is impeccable. Wonderful place to take a date. Or a best friend. And it's just steps from the beach. Lovely.Special Features:
- SpeedDiningScotVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have eaten here before and enjoyed it, but we were in the back room. This time we were in the main dining room. The food was good but the service was rushed and our waiter barely acknowledged us after taking the order. We were served and billed in fifty minutes. At this price point the meal should be relaxed and an experience. It really fell short on both measures.
- DannigirlDined on 9/7/2014I always enjoy coming here - The food and cocktails and beautiful decor!Special Features:
- So LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Lovely and delightful are the only words I could come up with to describe my brunch experience this Sunday. The ambiance and decor is truly lush. The food and drinks taste so fresh as if all of the ingredients were plucked from their source that morning. Our waiter was exceptional. He was so pleasant and charming. Drinks - My friend had the Black Pearl and I had the French Rose Champagne Sangria. Both drinks were phenomenal. Food - I had the crab cake Benedict and my friend had the lobster breakfast tacos. The crab cake was impeccable - all crab very very little filler. My friend said that the lobster breakfast tacos were amazing. She talked about them for the rest of the day. Then for dessert we went with the apple blackberry crumble.Special Features:
- Noisy but niceExploradusDined on 9/6/2014WE ate inside and it was quite loud when the place was full. The food was very good but nothing was over the top. WE were looking for "California " cuisine and we found it. Good and fresh....Pricy but worth it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ivy by the Shore Rocks..COMMISSIONER1Dined on 9/6/2014Ivy is still one of my favorites for the past 20 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NM11Dined on 9/1/2014I wasn't very happy with my experience at the Ivy at the shore. I'd been to the Ivy in Beverly Hills before and loved it, but this was nothing close to that. Don't really recommend it. Food was only "ok". It was overpriced considering the quality of food and service. I won't be a returning customer.
- Classy, fun breakfast spotJehnaDined on 8/31/2014We went for breakfast so this review is only about that. Great food, great service and clearly an 'it' place. Given the name and location, however, be prepared to pay. As a side note, from observation this place is more popular for dinner so breakfast is. Good quiet option but probably doesn't give you the full experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live well, Eat wellWehungryDined on 8/30/2014If you want delicious food in Santa Monica this is your place. Well worth the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled Salad Gold StandardMamaVIPDined on 8/28/2014The Ivy Grilled salad is legendary. A mix of fresh vegetables grilled to perfection. Other restaurants attempt to do this, but the Ivy's is still the gold standard. Add lobster and it is even better. The portion is huge. They will sell you a half order, even though you have to ask. This is not volunteered. The patio on an early summer evening may be the quintessential California dining experience.
- A Constant CharmerdBillDined on 8/27/2014One of our favorite restaurants in L.A., The Ivy at the Shore consistently offers a menu of delectable dishes made from obviously fresh ingredients, and served in a charming setting with superbly attentive but not intrusive service.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedMikeZVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been going to the Ivy by the Shore for the past 24+ years. Although we have enjoyed many of their offerings, my wife loves their smoke salmon pizza and salads and for me it's the Ricky's Fried Chicken. Assuming we don't get too full from our main course, we share a dessert which is normally their Crumble. My only complaint surrounds their specialty drinks. I have enjoyed an Ivy Gimlet or two over the years, however and I'm not sure when, they now ask if you want a special vodka which costs a couple dollars more (a pet peeve). In my opinion, a restaurant should not "up sell" a specialty drink with their name on it that costs $14, let the customer ask. That said we remain loyal guests, continue to recommend it and take friends.Special Features:
- FirsttimerFirsttimerDined on 8/24/2014Waiter tried to up-sale on wine (suggested a $90 bottle) and daily special ("Only ONE order left on the black cod in curry sauce!"). Notation on the reservation that it was a special birthday was totally ignored.
- Birthday BrunchJackVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our group of 9 enjoyed a Sunday birthday brunch at Ivy's at the Shore. The service was excellent, attentive but not intrusive; the decor is eclectic but beautiful; the food was very good and the kitchen was willing to accomodate our many off-the-menu requests. It is expensive but great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Bad experience ruined decent mealHoustonBobVIPDined on 8/21/2014When my wife and I went to leave, we discovered her purse and coat were missing. Someone moved the chair holding the purse and coat to another table and took the purse and coat to the front desk. We did not notice this as I guess we were talking. When I asked the manager why they took the purse and coat, he said they thought we had left. I told him we never left the table so I couldn't believe his explanation. He did not apologize for this matter. We will not return.
- Ivy at The ShoreonesweetlifeDined on 8/17/2014We love going to the Ivy! It makes for a wonderful afternoon of great food, great drinks and good company in a beautiful restaurant.Special Features: