Itta Bena at B.B. King's
145 Beale Street
Memphis, TN 38103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Itta Bena at B.B. King's
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ittabenamemphis.com/
- Phone: 9015783031
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 11pm, Sunday: 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bring the best of B.B. King's Blues Club to your next catered event. From BBQ wild salmon to a beautiful filet mignon allow our talented chefs complete your experience by adding that delta flavor. We are also able to provide world class entertainment bringing the energy of B.B. King's to you.
- Private Party Facilities: Welcome to your one stop entertainment venue. From the rich intimate setting of our Itta Bena room to the lively energetic B.B. King's Club down below we are able to offer everything you could ever want in a private event space. With the help of our full time Sales & Marketing Manager your special event is sure to be unforgettable. Food, fun & music all in one place.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Carter Smith (901)578-3031
- Entertainment: Itta Bena is located in a private room above B.B. King's Blues Club on historic Beale St. Live music enchants our guests and enhances the nearly surreal dining experience. On Wednesday nights, Ms DiAnne Price, a rare jewel of a performer, comments:"When I play, I’m telling a story, and no matter where I start, the audience goes along with me." And on Fridays and Saturday nights, Susan Marshall enchants her audience, being arguably the contemporary Memphis scene's most powerful and versatile pure singer yet (According to The Memphis Flyer). Visit our website to learn more.
A word from Itta Bena at B.B. King's
Located on the third floor of B.B. King's Blues Club overlooking historic Beale Street you will find Itta Bena "A unique delta experience". Whether entering from our private Second Street entrance via our valet service or walking through the secret hall from inside B.B. King's Blues Club, Itta Bena is sure to capture your senses. Modeled after the speakeasies from the 1920's, you are a true VIP as a friendly member of our staff escorts you to the third floor. The experience is further heightened when you step inside and find yourself surrounded by rich wood floors, vaulted ceilings, deep golden hued chandeliers and the faint sound of the bustling street below. Touching all the senses, we enrich your evening by offering a delta inspired menu of robust flavors and clean presentation. Itta Bena is a complete overwhelming of the senses that you must experience for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Itta Bena at B.B. King's - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Itta Bena at B.B. King's reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)romantic (64)fit for foodies (33)scenic view (31)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (19)good for groups (18)late-night find (17)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Date night find!tinaDined on 9/20/2014This place is very cool. Laid back and quiet, but right on Beale street. The food was great. Try the shrimp and grits of you can. The service was spot on. Never felt overbearing or like he was trying to up sale or push anything. I feel in love with the white chocolate bread pudding! It's a must try! The restaurant is on the 3rd floor so be prepared to walk up stairs. It is worth it! I'll be going back. This is a great place for dinner before or after event at fed ex forum or orpheum theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lmboydDined on 9/19/2014The service, food and atmosphere was outstanding! I would highly recommend the Appetizer, Fried green tomoatoes and for dinner The Blackened RedSnapper. Steven, our waiter, was courteous, studious, attentive, and timely! My only drawback is we did not get the corner room for our Anniversary on 09/19/2014.Special Features:
- Great Place!!LEELEEVIPDined on 9/15/2014I loved this place! Great place to dinner and see Beal Street....Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014The entire dining experience is consistently exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDinetimeDined on 9/12/2014We had been wanting to try Itta Bena for some time and decided my birthday would be the perfect time. We were not disappointed! The shrimp and grit (added scallops), lamb chops and jambalaya were all terrific. Our server also offered chicken tenders and fries for my younger son. This was not on the menu, but hit the spot for him. The service was top notch. Oh, I almost forgot the bread pudding, this was also very good! Awesome birthday dinner!Special Features:
- Awesome mealSoutherngalDined on 9/12/2014Visited this restaurant during a girls weekend. Food was tasty and prices reasonable. The atmosphere was just right for conversation and a good time. Would highly recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every moment!lovefoodwineDined on 9/6/2014After missing some big celebrations, we wanted to treat my parents to a special dinner to show them we do appreciate them. This was the perfect choice. Dad (who is well traveled and has high expectations) was blown away by the food and service, topped off by the low light ambiance and music. We had to take our kids (not planned) and the chef brought out a wonderful dessert for them, treating them like princesses. The entire night was magical, I am not overstating. Ashely, our server, was brilliant in making our dining experience smooth and graceful! They will remember this night and we appreciate your efforts in making it a great gift for our parents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurant!CaseyDined on 8/31/2014We come to Memphis at least once or twice a month. Itta Bena is by far one of our favorite restaurants. Food, atmosphere and view of Beale cannot be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden awayGAfoodieDined on 8/30/2014I LOVE being "in the know" mainly because I'm never "in the know" but a trip advisor review clued me in to this place - and a talkative local gave me exact directions! All I knew was that it was "above BB Kings" but nothing told me how to get to it. Finding the entrance (because there is no sign) felt like a treasure hunt! So exciting! And it WAS a treasure! I loved the decor complete with dark film over the windows so no one below could tell there was anything out of the ordinary going on up there! It gave Beale street an ethereal glow. The live entertainment was rich and dripping with soul - a piano and guitar duet singing everything from Norah Jones to Etta James. And the food was delicious and the portions extremely generous!Special Features:
- AnniversarywelovefoodDined on 8/28/2014My Wife and I sent there last week for our Anniversary. It was our first time and we Will be back. The atmosphere was Awesome and the food was Devine.Special Features:
- Tourist TrapFoodieDined on 8/26/2014This was my second time dining at Itta Bena. I had reservations for three at 5:00. There wasn't a warm reception upon entering. When I walked in two servers were sitting at the bar eating and took their time seating me. After I was led to a table, I asked if the curtains at our table could be opened and the waiter told me they don't open the shades until the sun goes down. Literally another group of four walked in twenty minutes later while the sun was still up and the waiter opened the shades for them. I was given a new waiter who was professional and pleasant. We ordered crab cakes, house salad, shrimp and grits, red snapper, and the avocado stuffed crab meat salad. The best thing we ate were the crab cakes. Everything else was blasé.Special Features:
- Always a treat...TKPeacockDined on 8/25/2014Itta Bena is consistently offers outstanding food, service and atmosphere. The blue windows reflect the calmness inside the restaurant and keep out the sounds of BB King's below and Beale Street. Worth every dollar!!!!
- Cool Location & BarMidtownerDined on 8/22/2014The hidden location on Beale above BB Kings is awesome. Feels like you are in a different world. I'd go back again for cocktails and a small plate or appetizer at the bar. It is actually pretty quiet and you can gaze through deep blue tinted windows and see a different view of Beale Street.Special Features:
- Dinner on Beale StreettinaDined on 8/22/2014The food & service was very good. We enjoyed the wine list. Location on Beale street was very nice. Great place to go eat before any event on Beale or fed ex forum. We will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AmbienceMemphisBelleDined on 8/19/2014The food at Itta Bena is outstanding, and the She-Crab Soup is fabulous! The charm of downtown Memphis is right at your fingertips, but it is dulled by the lack of high quality service. Overall, it is a good experience, but the service could improve.Special Features:
- private roomMemphislocalsDined on 8/15/2014There was a large wedding party the night we were there , after a drink at the bar we were seated in a private booth with a closable double door, with lots of pillows. the service was very friendly and attentive. Food was better than average, we are food snobs and did not spend the entire night discussing how things could of been improved. It was a fun relaxing and fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memphis delightimDancinDanDined on 8/12/2014A real treat on Beale Street. Upstairs (3rd floor) entrance via outside stairs. If you can't handle stairs you're out of luck. Food and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy on the lightsFoodieDined on 8/9/2014This was my second time in 2 weeks. Everything was good, however my wife couldn't determine if her lamb chops were done medium rare or not, due to the fact that the blue lights were affecting the overall vision. So I didn't think twice about it as I tasted her lamb chops and they tasted medium rare. I then looked and my pasta dish (jambalaya), it looked terrible, a gray or purplish hue came over the dish.Special Features:
- A very nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We, my wife and I, were very happy with our evening at Itta Bena. The lamb chops over risotto were very well prepared. My wife's pasta was nicely done. Service was attentive and correct. Dessert was also very good. The Opolo Summit Creek Zinfandel, by the way, paired very nicely with the lamb chops.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceBibiDined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely experience dining with our family & out of town guests. Food was great & service excellent. The location & Ambiance are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot and quietFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Had dinner there with my two sons ages 23 & 25. One of my sons is a chef in the Northeast. We loved it and the blue lights inside gave it quite an eerie look. Background music was nice and zero noise from Beale street or the Blues Club right below. We talked about the Grilled Shrimp appetizer. My son then dissected the ingredients and quizzed the staff as to how it was prepared.Special Features:
- Beale Street Best-JJjhjrefDined on 7/23/2014Very good food nice atmosphere you get a great look at Beale Street and all the people the wine list above average.Special Features:
- Treated like royaltyThegirlfDined on 7/22/2014IMPECABLE SERVICE and a beautiful, romantic, candlelit ambiance. I had the duck and waffles. The duck was great but the waffle was topped with a vegetable mix(carrots, chopped celery, roasted potatoes, in a sauce that reminded me of a light brown gravy) which made it extremely mushy and not very tasteful. After I pushed the soggy waffle aside the duck was very tender and perfectly seasoned. I will return but next time I won't look for any waffles :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014This was a great dinner and a outstanding place to dine. The food was prepared perfect and the service was top notch. The only thing I would have liked to see that night at itta Bena is a to a specials?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprising findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014We wanted a nice dinner out on Beale street so came to Itta Bena. The only problem was trying to find it! You go upstairs from BB Kings, go immediately left through the EXIT door and up a nondescript door to a very nice restaurant. We had a good laugh at our adventure and had a great meal. Great food, good ambiance, very quiet despite being right over the blues club.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem on BealeFineDineDined on 6/29/2014Itta Bena at B.B. King's is a real find. My date and I enjoyed the Jumbo Shrimp & Grits after our appetizer which was a crab meat stuffed avocado. The waiter was attentive and we loved the rustic but elegant surroundings. We would definitely recommend it for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!!TKPeacockDined on 6/29/2014Itta Bena always offers great food, drinks and ambience. So nice to sit quietly above BB King's, see the blue lights on Beale and be nestled into a warm place with many choices. Loved the lamb chops this time but we like to try new things. A great example of Memphis' eclectic atmosphere!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicescrumDined on 6/28/2014My only complaint was that I didn't like what I ordered (Jambalaya Pasta dish) - wasn't that tasty. But my wife enjoyed her duck and the ambiance and service were very good. We will go back - I will just choose something different!Special Features:
- Filet QualityJk1958Dined on 6/28/2014The only real negative for the night was my wife's filet was undercooked badly, to the point of her eating very little of it. We were on a tight time frame so we didn't sent it back. Suggest that explanations be made as to what "medium" constitutes for the amount of red in the filet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!swillDined on 6/26/2014We had no idea this place was above BB Kings! It was a great find. We loved everything we ordered. Service was great. They had a menu for Orpheum patrons. Steak was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible FoodARtravelerDined on 6/21/2014We chose the fried avocado stuffed with crab and covered with pico de gallo as an appetizer. I then had she-crab soup and shrimp & grits. I have never had a more delicious meal on land or sea or any country.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2014The food is good. The setting is imaginative. The music is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need Crisis Management CourseNotaHappyCamperDined on 6/18/2014We arrived 45 minutes before our scheduled reservation planning to sit at the bar for a cocktail. However just after arriving the power went out and we were totally ignored along with another couple from Missouri. The staff was concerned more with their inability to work more than what was happening with their guests. Their first and foremost concern should have been taking care of guests needs...free water would have been nice or even a free cocktail but I couldn't even get the bar mistress to acknowledge me until after I went to the front and complained. It still took her 5 minutes to come take our order and could be overheard talking with another waiter saying..."don't they know we lost power", of course we knew that, we sweated too!
- Speakeasy DinningDGNSPEATSDined on 6/16/2014First time in Memphis, local recommended, this "speakeasy" restaurant on Beale St. This place has no signage nor advertising which made it even more special. Nice atmosphere, a little loud considering its above BB Kings but the background live music wasn't a deal breaker. It seemed like a group friendly place but our party of two fit in just fine. Our meals were delicious. She-crab soup is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GermantowGirlDined on 6/14/2014Itta Bena is one of our favorites for special occasions and to take visitors because of the great food and cool atmosphere. If possible, try to score a table by the window so that you can watch the activities on Beale Street!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTboneDined on 6/14/2014This was our second visit to Itta Bena, and we plan to go again. The service is quick, efficient and friendly. The atmospheree is very pleasant. Every item we've ever ordered was delicious. Overall, a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Words can't describe !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014My husband took me here for my birthday. I can't tell you how perfect it was! Everything was beyond delicious ! Steak was perfect so perfect you could cut it with a fork. The service was over the top! We will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you can find it GO!!!foodie65Dined on 6/11/2014Once we found the right exit door to the hidden upstairs location above BB Kings club on Beale, we were greeted and treated to wonderful drinks at the bar, great food and a very pleasant server who made us feel right at home. The recommended appetizer of a flash fried avocado stuffed with crab and covered in Pico De gallo was heaven. Next try the scallops and grits (my wife's first try of grits and she now loves them done right).Special Features:
- Laurielk59Dined on 6/2/2014Ambiance was great, service was great, food was mediocre at best.Special Features:
- Quiet above the stormCDH8Dined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Itta Bena. It is unbelievable how quiet the restaurant actually was with the ear ringing scene just steps below you. The she crab soup was the best part of the meal- it had a ton of crab meat. Come here for the ambiance and the convenience of a relaxing dinner before you hit Beale Street. If you sit by the window you can also catch some awesome people watching looking down to Beale Street below. The live music was a perfect addition and drowned out the small amount of sound that crept up from the blues club below.Special Features: