401 Main Street
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://itsitaliarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 726-4444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Isaias Toxzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We offer our entire menu To Go daily. We can custom create a menu for catered events up to 150 people in quantities and tastes to accommodate your group or event. Whether your needs call for a basic large pick up order, or complete catered party, (including serving staff, party rentals, etc.) It's Italia can provide service, menu, and flexible pricing to fit your needs. Please call our restaurant and ask to be referred to our Special Event and Catering manager for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: It's Italia can "privatize" specific areas in our restaurant to accommodate larger parties of 20 or more people. We have an outside "Fireplace Patio" that will accommodate private parties of up to 50 people, our "Wine Barrel" room that will accommodate up to 30 people, or a combination of these two rooms for parties of up to 80 people. Full restaurant buy outs are also available. Custom created menus to fit your needs and tastes can be developed for these occasions. Please inquire with our Special Events Manager for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Adriana Guzman 650-726-4444
- Entertainment: It's Italia is currently composing it's musical entertainment program. We forecast being able to offer live music in the genres of acoustic guitar stylings, hot, light, and standard jazz, and intimate classical ensembles. We envision bringing in artists from throughout the Bay Area, as well as from our immediate local community. We also hope to be a venue for young, up and coming artists, including children's choirs, soloists, ensembles and bands who show talent, energy, and promise. Keep tuned into our musical offerings. We will be updating them here and on our website as well.
- Cross Street: Mill Street
- Public Transit: Samtrans bus stop is located one block away from It's Italia, on the corner of Main and Kelly Streets, right in front of our City Hall.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is Street parking for It's Italia on all surrounding streets (Main Street, Mill Street, and Johnston Street). As well, there are two large public parking lots across the street from the restaurant off of Mill Street (these areas are not paved, but it is fine to park there.)
A word from It's Italia
It's Italia opened in 1997 as a San Francisco style trattoria and pizzeria serving gourmet pizzas, house pastas, and creative salads, always with a California Italian flavor, and a wine list of 10-12 varietals. Ten years later, our menu has expanded to include steak and seafood grilled specialties, artful antipasti, and a decadent array of housemade desserts from our pastry chef. Over 120 bottles line up on our wine list from Italy, California, France, Spain, Australia, and New Zealand. As always, we have remained faithful to a local coastal California Italian cuisine, with its cosmopolitan nature, bringing produce and cheeses from local farms, meats and poultry from quality and organic growers, and seafood from a variety of waters. Most importantly, we are a little local community restaurant that serves locals. Lots of locals! Our advertising is mostly word of mouth. Our energy is inviting, positive, and friendly, and when you come in, you are invited to be part of our family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
It's Italia - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
It's Italia reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (30)great for outdoor dining (28)good for groups (23)great for lunch (21)romantic (20)great for brunch (19)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (14)hot spot (13)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fantastic service and excellent foodMercouriFanVIPDined on 11/14/2014I've been coming to It's Italia for 2 years, and the atmosphere, food, and service are always excellent. But this time was something special. The owner George and his wife Betsy welcomed me and my two friends visiting from abroad with a very warm and heartfelt greeting; my friends commented that it was the best welcoming experience they've ever had at a restaurant. Then we were waited on by Petra, who is always wonderful, with her beautiful smile, friendly attitude, and courteous service. The food was fantastic; I had the seafood risotto and I squeezed a bit of lemon on the seafood - yes, despite the tomato-based sauce. It was so good that I still dream about it two days later. All in all, it was a fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good except...SharonHMBVIPDined on 11/8/2014We loved the prawn appetizer! The roasted beet salad was awesome! My salmon was excellent. But....the two who ordered the prime rib were disappointed. The vegetables weren't up to standard and the meat wasn't done as specified. A rare off day for the main course. It is still our favorite restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to keep dry!LaSenadoraDined on 10/25/2014My friends and I wanted to watch the ball game WS and stay dry as the first rains of the season appeared. Great find! Perfect evening with friends & Giants won the game!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It ItaliaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We eat her fairly often. Tonight, service and ambience were lacking. Many open tables but we were seated nest the cooks window. Be sure to avoid that. Kitchen exhaust was not the greatest so the heat and fumes of cooking oils were quite intense; noise of the servers as well, was a bit loud. Our server did not check back after meals were delivered and had to be hailed for a glass of wine. Food was good; lasagna was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly-rated Non-experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014All food was bland with a texture of baby food. Service was remarkably unfriendly. Can't see returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Every time we are in California we stop and eat here. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but needs temp control!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014We love this place! It is one of our all time favorites. It is always outstanding on every visit for food, service and every detail- until today. Desperately needs cooling/ ventilation- at least fans- something. We had to go outside to cool off between courses. For such a fabulous place, this problem must be solved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerWittDined on 9/28/2014On Main Street in Half Moon Bay, it is a nice location. But what brought us back for a second time and on our 46 anniversary was the food. Creative and very well done. Service was excellent. We loved it.Special Features:
- Browned butter ravioli was greatlocalcoupleVIPDined on 9/27/2014Mushroom ravioli in browned butter with fava beans and artichoke hearts that tasted like a bite from heaven!Special Features:
- Fantastic find!JAMAKVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had a group of 7 and that took great care of us. The seafood risotto was wonderful and we all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationJimboVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have dined here before, and they made my wife's 65th birthday a memorable occasion!Special Features:
- ReviewdwyertrishDined on 9/13/2014This is a lovely spot for brunch at the weekend. The staff are very friendly and the food is very good.Special Features:
- HMBJoeHMBJoeDined on 9/12/2014Consistently high quality food and attentive service in a stylish atmosphere. Seasonal changes to the menu, chef specials, and an extensive wine list result in a dependable location that never feels stale. It's my favorite place in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. The food was good and the waiter was really nice with a good personality. Will recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedjoanogbVIPDined on 8/31/2014We've been to this restaurant several times and like to go here. However, our last dinner was not on par with previous meals. We were seated at the time of reservation by the Matre D, but were not given menus until 20-30 minutes later. The waiter tried to take our order even before we had menus. The food was so-so. The service was slow and we barely saw the waiter except for when the order was being taken. They also have a required 18% service fee (tip) that is automatically added to parties of 6 or more. I would never have tipped that high for the service rendered. Actually, I think when the wait staff knows ahead of time that they will get their tip regardless of service rendered, they don't need to work for it. We won't be returning.
- What a shameDisappointedDined on 8/31/2014A well planned birthday party for 14 people at a favorite restaurant and crummy service. Not terrible just, took forever to get water and had to request several times. Never got asked if we wanted a second round of drinks and one person never got asked at all. Never got asked if we wanted desert or anything else. Clearly they were short of staff, the waiter was polite just not enough of him to go around. When I called to say how disappointed I was promised a comp. for myself and the guest of honor. Of course 6 weeks later I have not heard back so I guess it is fair to send a fair warning.Special Features:
- HappyinHMBDined on 8/30/2014Hadn't been in awhile as our last meal was too salty . We had 4 meals and they all exceeded our expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My lunchBonnieDined on 8/27/2014My Carbonara sauce was old and cloppy. The noodles were old and overcooked, mushy. I loved the fig appetizer.
- RudyDined on 8/24/2014We have been here three times and plan to return. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dunOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Friendly waitress and very good service and great focaccia! Ambience outside patio was very pleasant and really enjoyable!Special Features:
- Bad ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The service was not good. A table with our waiter's friends received better attention. The good was cold and had no taste. We say out in the patio and there were flies flying around. It was disgusting! Not what you would expect for those prices. Really bad experience.
- Half Moon Bay favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had great time with our friends. Food was good, mimosas very refreshing and our server was entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok servicepastaprincessDined on 8/15/20141st time here. We were seated in the back bar area which was noisy but fun for people-watching. After being seated the waitress asked to move our table, so we had to scoot our chairs over while sitting in them. The specials on the blackboard weren't explained to us until we asked about them. I had the filet; my companion had salmon and we both had appetizers, which were great. It took a long time to get the entrees and we both felt they had been sitting awhile, as they weren't very hot and my filet was more medium than rare. But we were hungry after waiting so long so didn't complain. The food itself was very tasty and beautifully presented. I would come back for the food, in hope of a little more finesse with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza, great wine..Nana4theBeachDined on 8/6/2014Went there with a party of 6 - had great and attentive service, a lovely wine list, great and creative salads, pasta, rib-eye and PIZZA. Unless you're a big eater, a large salad and sharing the 10" should do the trick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014The food was outstanding as always!!! The caesar salad with a piece of salmon filet was to die for. Cooked to perfection. The Pear salad and the Flower mart thin crust pizza was as always, perfect! The servers were spot on as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Restaurant was quite warm and seated us near grill, they ran out (7:00 res) of mushroom soup du jour, minestrone sub tasted like canned soup, minestrone at an Italian place has to be good, right? Capellini was past al dente, grilled pear/gorgonzola salad was good but over-dressed, we expected more. Waiter was charming but too busySpecial Features:
- Great SelectionGourmetGalVIPDined on 7/27/2014Everyone in our group of 4 thoroughly enjoyed the food. Thoughtfully planned menu and good selection. Unfortunately, the service was extremely slow. Dinner took over 2 hours and 15 minutes without dessert or coffee.Special Features:
- Hit or missfireflyDined on 7/27/2014Our brunch experience was not good. We had reservations and waited at the front for 5 mins before anyone approached us. Was there a month ago and it was very good. Entire service this time was very slow and the place was not busy. Guessing our waitperson was new. Food was not up to par. Hollandaise sauce wasn't good and ruined the dish for 2 people. One person really enjoyed the hamburger. The live music was too loud with too much base. Hard to have a conversation at your table. Would not go back for brunch but will give dinner a try.
- DissapointingJannineVIPDined on 7/26/2014It's Italia has long been one of our favorite 'go-to' places in Half Moon Bay. Our experience 7/26/14 was disappointing. Upon arriving the hostess told us that our Open Table reservation had been cancelled but they would seat our party of 7 anyway. Our server was "adequate", not the normal "glad you're here" type of server we typically have here. The food was flavorful and served hot as it consistently is. 2 hrs. & 5 min. into our dinner, a hostess came up to our table and informed us that we needed to vacate the table because there was another big party waiting for this table. I know restaurants have limits on table stays, we have never had a limit here before. That information needed to be given to us at the time of seating...Rude.Special Features:
- The following 482 reviews are from the It's Italia reviews archive.
- betsjobetsjoDined on 7/22/2014We "discovered" this restaurant several years ago and keep going back because of the food, the people, the service and the atmosphere. This last visit was for a special occasion and the staff was alerted by our daughter that we were there to celebrate our birthdays. We were treated to a complimentary appitizer and a dessert complete with a birthday candle. We enjoyed it this time as we have enjoyed it every time. We highly recommend it!Special Features:
- FliesDontlikefliesDined on 7/19/2014Too many flies to recommend, but food and service are excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Outstanding as always!!! Seldom disappointed. The pizza selection are great.Special Features:
- Lunch in Half Moon BayJf021261VIPDined on 7/1/2014Glad we choose this resturant we normally go to Pasta Moon down the street while it is awesome in its own regrard It's Italia is right up thier with it and would recommend it. Ate lunch so resturant was not that crazy busy we ordered several different items to share and my party and I agreed on all the things we fantastic so will definitely be going back to eat again. Next time want to try one of thier pizza we saw a take out of one and it look fantastic they grated cheese for the customer to thier satisfaction before they took it very charming.Special Features:
- Good EatsMarciaDined on 6/21/2014The Caesar salad was bland, the roasted chicken was delicious, so was the prime-rib, and the blueberry cobbler was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at It's ItaliaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014This was our second time coming in for dinner. It was again amazing!! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodsterDined on 6/15/2014Requested outside because it was to loud inside. Thank goodness for the fireplace. Server did a couple drive by's but the bus boy took good care of me. The food was very good, much improved from earlier this year. I gave it a fair because of the service and the noise.Special Features:
- A Great ExperienceWizardDined on 6/14/2014Keep It's Italia on your Radar; when you're thinking of lunch, brunch, or dinner find out for yourself just how nice this restaurant can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchESelphDined on 6/8/2014We love It's Italia for dinner but recently we have been visiting for brunch as well. They have a varied menu with something for everyone and the food is ALWAYS delicious. One menu item to note, the bacon!!! It's amazing.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinouDined on 5/25/2014I tried pizza and grill pear salad. They are both pretty good.
- Enjoyable in every waycynannmarieDined on 5/25/2014Very nice server and the food was delish. Had calamari appetizer and it was grilled--different than typical fried. Super tasty. Both of us had pizzas and they were great. I had the Flower Market with pears and it was yummy. Small size (for one) is very filling--couldn't eat it all and took leftovers home. Husband had medium and he had leftovers too. My thick crust style was very light. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.