401 Main Street
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://itsitaliarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6507264444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Isaias Toxzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We offer our entire menu To Go daily. We can custom create a menu for catered events up to 150 people in quantities and tastes to accommodate your group or event. Whether your needs call for a basic large pick up order, or complete catered party, (including serving staff, party rentals, etc.) It's Italia can provide service, menu, and flexible pricing to fit your needs. Please call our restaurant and ask to be referred to our Special Event and Catering manager for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: It's Italia can "privatize" specific areas in our restaurant to accommodate larger parties of 20 or more people. We have an outside "Fireplace Patio" that will accommodate private parties of up to 50 people, our "Wine Barrel" room that will accommodate up to 30 people, or a combination of these two rooms for parties of up to 80 people. Full restaurant buy outs are also available. Custom created menus to fit your needs and tastes can be developed for these occasions. Please inquire with our Special Events Manager for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Adriana Guzman 650-726-4444
- Entertainment: It's Italia is currently composing it's musical entertainment program. We forecast being able to offer live music in the genres of acoustic guitar stylings, hot, light, and standard jazz, and intimate classical ensembles. We envision bringing in artists from throughout the Bay Area, as well as from our immediate local community. We also hope to be a venue for young, up and coming artists, including children's choirs, soloists, ensembles and bands who show talent, energy, and promise. Keep tuned into our musical offerings. We will be updating them here and on our website as well.
- Cross Street: Mill Street
- Public Transit: Samtrans bus stop is located one block away from It's Italia, on the corner of Main and Kelly Streets, right in front of our City Hall.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is Street parking for It's Italia on all surrounding streets (Main Street, Mill Street, and Johnston Street). As well, there are two large public parking lots across the street from the restaurant off of Mill Street (these areas are not paved, but it is fine to park there.)
A word from It's Italia
It's Italia opened in 1997 as a San Francisco style trattoria and pizzeria serving gourmet pizzas, house pastas, and creative salads, always with a California Italian flavor, and a wine list of 10-12 varietals. Ten years later, our menu has expanded to include steak and seafood grilled specialties, artful antipasti, and a decadent array of housemade desserts from our pastry chef. Over 120 bottles line up on our wine list from Italy, California, France, Spain, Australia, and New Zealand. As always, we have remained faithful to a local coastal California Italian cuisine, with its cosmopolitan nature, bringing produce and cheeses from local farms, meats and poultry from quality and organic growers, and seafood from a variety of waters. Most importantly, we are a little local community restaurant that serves locals. Lots of locals! Our advertising is mostly word of mouth. Our energy is inviting, positive, and friendly, and when you come in, you are invited to be part of our family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
It's Italia reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (37)special occasion (34)great for lunch (30)romantic (28)great for outdoor dining (28)great for brunch (25)good for groups (21)kid-friendly (14)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Birthday celebrationJimboVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have dined here before, and they made my wife's 65th birthday a memorable occasion!Special Features:
- ReviewdwyertrishDined on 9/13/2014This is a lovely spot for brunch at the weekend. The staff are very friendly and the food is very good.Special Features:
- HMBJoeHMBJoeDined on 9/12/2014Consistently high quality food and attentive service in a stylish atmosphere. Seasonal changes to the menu, chef specials, and an extensive wine list result in a dependable location that never feels stale. It's my favorite place in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. The food was good and the waiter was really nice with a good personality. Will recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedjoanogbVIPDined on 8/31/2014We've been to this restaurant several times and like to go here. However, our last dinner was not on par with previous meals. We were seated at the time of reservation by the Matre D, but were not given menus until 20-30 minutes later. The waiter tried to take our order even before we had menus. The food was so-so. The service was slow and we barely saw the waiter except for when the order was being taken. They also have a required 18% service fee (tip) that is automatically added to parties of 6 or more. I would never have tipped that high for the service rendered. Actually, I think when the wait staff knows ahead of time that they will get their tip regardless of service rendered, they don't need to work for it. We won't be returning.
- HappyinHMBDined on 8/30/2014Hadn't been in awhile as our last meal was too salty . We had 4 meals and they all exceeded our expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My lunchBonnieDined on 8/27/2014My Carbonara sauce was old and cloppy. The noodles were old and overcooked, mushy. I loved the fig appetizer.
- RudyDined on 8/24/2014We have been here three times and plan to return. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dunOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Friendly waitress and very good service and great focaccia! Ambience outside patio was very pleasant and really enjoyable!Special Features:
- Bad ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The service was not good. A table with our waiter's friends received better attention. The good was cold and had no taste. We say out in the patio and there were flies flying around. It was disgusting! Not what you would expect for those prices. Really bad experience.
- Half Moon Bay favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014We had great time with our friends. Food was good, mimosas very refreshing and our server was entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok servicepastaprincessDined on 8/15/20141st time here. We were seated in the back bar area which was noisy but fun for people-watching. After being seated the waitress asked to move our table, so we had to scoot our chairs over while sitting in them. The specials on the blackboard weren't explained to us until we asked about them. I had the filet; my companion had salmon and we both had appetizers, which were great. It took a long time to get the entrees and we both felt they had been sitting awhile, as they weren't very hot and my filet was more medium than rare. But we were hungry after waiting so long so didn't complain. The food itself was very tasty and beautifully presented. I would come back for the food, in hope of a little more finesse with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza, great wine..Nana4theBeachDined on 8/6/2014Went there with a party of 6 - had great and attentive service, a lovely wine list, great and creative salads, pasta, rib-eye and PIZZA. Unless you're a big eater, a large salad and sharing the 10" should do the trick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014The food was outstanding as always!!! The caesar salad with a piece of salmon filet was to die for. Cooked to perfection. The Pear salad and the Flower mart thin crust pizza was as always, perfect! The servers were spot on as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Restaurant was quite warm and seated us near grill, they ran out (7:00 res) of mushroom soup du jour, minestrone sub tasted like canned soup, minestrone at an Italian place has to be good, right? Capellini was past al dente, grilled pear/gorgonzola salad was good but over-dressed, we expected more. Waiter was charming but too busySpecial Features:
- Great SelectionGourmetGalVIPDined on 7/27/2014Everyone in our group of 4 thoroughly enjoyed the food. Thoughtfully planned menu and good selection. Unfortunately, the service was extremely slow. Dinner took over 2 hours and 15 minutes without dessert or coffee.Special Features:
- Hit or missfireflyDined on 7/27/2014Our brunch experience was not good. We had reservations and waited at the front for 5 mins before anyone approached us. Was there a month ago and it was very good. Entire service this time was very slow and the place was not busy. Guessing our waitperson was new. Food was not up to par. Hollandaise sauce wasn't good and ruined the dish for 2 people. One person really enjoyed the hamburger. The live music was too loud with too much base. Hard to have a conversation at your table. Would not go back for brunch but will give dinner a try.
- DissapointingJannineVIPDined on 7/26/2014It's Italia has long been one of our favorite 'go-to' places in Half Moon Bay. Our experience 7/26/14 was disappointing. Upon arriving the hostess told us that our Open Table reservation had been cancelled but they would seat our party of 7 anyway. Our server was "adequate", not the normal "glad you're here" type of server we typically have here. The food was flavorful and served hot as it consistently is. 2 hrs. & 5 min. into our dinner, a hostess came up to our table and informed us that we needed to vacate the table because there was another big party waiting for this table. I know restaurants have limits on table stays, we have never had a limit here before. That information needed to be given to us at the time of seating...Rude.Special Features:
- betsjobetsjoDined on 7/22/2014We "discovered" this restaurant several years ago and keep going back because of the food, the people, the service and the atmosphere. This last visit was for a special occasion and the staff was alerted by our daughter that we were there to celebrate our birthdays. We were treated to a complimentary appitizer and a dessert complete with a birthday candle. We enjoyed it this time as we have enjoyed it every time. We highly recommend it!Special Features:
- FliesDontlikefliesDined on 7/19/2014Too many flies to recommend, but food and service are excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Outstanding as always!!! Seldom disappointed. The pizza selection are great.Special Features:
- Lunch in Half Moon BayJf021261VIPDined on 7/1/2014Glad we choose this resturant we normally go to Pasta Moon down the street while it is awesome in its own regrard It's Italia is right up thier with it and would recommend it. Ate lunch so resturant was not that crazy busy we ordered several different items to share and my party and I agreed on all the things we fantastic so will definitely be going back to eat again. Next time want to try one of thier pizza we saw a take out of one and it look fantastic they grated cheese for the customer to thier satisfaction before they took it very charming.Special Features:
- Good EatsMarciaDined on 6/21/2014The Caesar salad was bland, the roasted chicken was delicious, so was the prime-rib, and the blueberry cobbler was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at It's ItaliaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014This was our second time coming in for dinner. It was again amazing!! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Requested outside because it was to loud inside. Thank goodness for the fireplace. Server did a couple drive by's but the bus boy took good care of me. The food was very good, much improved from earlier this year. I gave it a fair because of the service and the noise.Special Features:
- A Great ExperienceWizardDined on 6/14/2014Keep It's Italia on your Radar; when you're thinking of lunch, brunch, or dinner find out for yourself just how nice this restaurant can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchESelphDined on 6/8/2014We love It's Italia for dinner but recently we have been visiting for brunch as well. They have a varied menu with something for everyone and the food is ALWAYS delicious. One menu item to note, the bacon!!! It's amazing.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinouDined on 5/25/2014I tried pizza and grill pear salad. They are both pretty good.
- Enjoyable in every waycynannmarieDined on 5/25/2014Very nice server and the food was delish. Had calamari appetizer and it was grilled--different than typical fried. Super tasty. Both of us had pizzas and they were great. I had the Flower Market with pears and it was yummy. Small size (for one) is very filling--couldn't eat it all and took leftovers home. Husband had medium and he had leftovers too. My thick crust style was very light. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenniferDined on 5/25/2014Everything we had was delicious! We started with the calamari appetizer and the warm goat cheese salad and both were incredible. I'm a bit of a food snob and the calamari was the best I've ever had. So fresh and cooked perfectly! The pizza was very good too and I had the dark chocolate mousse for dessert. I was stuffed but literally couldn't stop eating because everything was so good. We sat up front by the window and the noise level was perfect, not loud at all like other people mentioned. We purposely ordered everything one at a time so it would trickle out instead of coming all at once but I didn't feel that the service was slow at all.Special Features:
- Fun but..081311Dined on 5/24/2014We were seated in the front, loved the music and the ambience but since we were closest to the door there were about 3 or 4 flys that kept standing on our food as well as us too. It was pretty annoying, other than that pretty good. Please do something about those flys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 469 reviews are from the It's Italia reviews archive.
- Great food and serviceWaltVIPDined on 5/20/2014We stopped in for dinner on a last minute whim. This was our fourth or fifth time here. This time we were seated on the patio and it quite and the heaters keep it warm. The service was top notch. Only glitch was when my steak was a bit overdone, but when we called it to the waitress' attention she organized a replacement quickly and it was perfect. We had a great time and our guests were very impressed.Special Features:
- Poor serviceLouiseVIPDined on 5/19/2014The food is good here. The ambiance is nice. The service continues to decline with each visit.
- sroseDined on 5/17/2014We usually order pizza, either as appetizer or main. This night we all ordered different dishes and everyone in the party was very happy. The salmon was given high marks by both who ordered that dish. I tried the pappardelle, house made, which was very good with just the right amount of meat and seasonings. The wine was fantastic! The server timed the courses well. The staff were all friendly and courteous. A great time was had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Italia ComebackdrhardwareVIPDined on 5/17/2014We tried It's Italia shortly after the move to the HMB Inn. We were not impressed, and felt that there are so many other options, that we would not return. Last week, a friend suggested we spend an afternoon on the coast, and end with dinner at It's Italia. Prior to booking, I read a number of unfavorable reviews. However, we had a terrific time last Saturday evening. The food was very good. The wine list was good, not great. But the experience was greatly enhanced by our server, Maria. She was attentive, efficient, and had a thorough knowledge of the menu and its ingredients. Best of all, was her sense of humour. She made the evening a success. All in all, a great time, and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Mothers Day disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Sent a email to the restaurant but haven't had a response. Waiter scolding other waiters where he could be heard by customers, special menu for Mother's Day not advertised, 1 egg dish for brunch, no bread served to us, we asked again when we saw a table served bread, we were told no bread for us, we had pasta dishes????? Order was not delivered correctly, so one of our party had to wait another 15 minutes to be served. Bill needed to be corrected twice. We were pleasant customers not rude or demanding, the situation was funny to a point.
- jammyVIPDined on 5/11/2014made a reservation for mother's day. they were too overwhelmed. no one to talk to us after 20 min at the table. the new mother's day menu is not kid friendly and expensive. dogs everywhere in the courtyard. crowded and smelly in the courtyard.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/11/2014Absolutely terrible experience not only for us but for tables around us. Sent my entrée back twice and finally waitperson suggested I order something else. My husband ordered an omelet with fresh salmon, which arrived with smoked salmon. I ordered a salad with salmon, so they did have fresh salmon. The two of us were charged for three entrees, including the one I returned, which after lengthy discussion was removed. When I said my entrée should be comped for all the hassle and wait, the waitperson begrudgingly did so. Overheard a gentleman telling staff he had been coming to It's Italia for years, and absolutely everything was wrong on Sunday. We will not be returning there.
- Mothers Day Nightmare!BadDay4MomDined on 5/11/2014Food took 1-1/2 hours to arrive at our table! There was no other place in town for brunch on that day. We were stuck. (I made reservations weeks ahead). Bacon arrived alone before appetizers, meal arrived before appetizers (we sent back) 2 huge hairy dogs shedding into the breeze and landing on table/ in water glass/on cheese....no other table available. Poor waitress was new and began to cry.....once the food did arrive we had to eat very fast as to not have hair covering it. It was a horrible experience that cost the four of us $242.00. Maybe they were just overwhelmed due to the Mothers Day crowd?Special Features:
- Too LoudCharmDDined on 5/10/2014Love It's Italia, but, the noise level is just too high. I've eaten there many, many times and always enjoy the food. I just wish they could do something about the noise. Also for the first time we were not crazy about our waiter. He was not user friendly and because we had 6 people with us, they added the tip to our bill and we had nothing to say about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.