Italian Kitchen - Vancouver
1037 Alberni Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 1A1Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Italian Kitchen - Vancouver
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theitaliankitchen.ca/
- Phone: (604) 687-2858
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 1:00am Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:00am Sunday 11:30am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Shaughn Halls
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Glowbal Catering Group is here to help you with your function large or small. E-mail Area Operations Manager Jan-Erik Wichmann at firstname.lastname@example.org for details and any inquiries.
A word from Italian Kitchen - Vancouver
A spectacular newcomer to Vancouver’s prolific restaurant scene, Italian Kitchen arrives in the vibrant downtown neighborhood. Italian Kitchen features a multi-regional modern Italian menu dished up in ultra-sleek surroundings. Guests will delight with warm wheels of handcrafted pizza, peerless antipasto platters, creative pastas and dry-aged steaks. The 60-foot white marble ‘DOC’ bar serves classic cocktails with a new-age kick and a glass-walled wine cellar is stocked with predictably excellent Italian vintages with New and Old World offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Italian Kitchen - Vancouver reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (53)good for groups (52)great for lunch (50)hot spot (44)notable wine list (42)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (28)great for brunch (18)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Over the top noise and less than stellar foodMaidtoeatbetterDined on 11/21/2014Recently took my staff for a goodbye lunch. Booked an early table to avoid lunch crush. 6 people, we were stuck upstairs in the back near a noisy and boisterous group of 10. Two nearby tables demanded to be moved, alas there was no where else for us to go. Food was so so, signature brussels overlooked and burnt , pork chop dry and over cooked. Others selections that arrived were almost as cold as our waiter. I used to avoid at dinner due to over the top noise levels, now lunch is out too. Will never return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2014Everything was amazing, the desserts were large enough for the table vs single ordering. Always one of my favorite spots to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not be returninglexi8989VIPDined on 11/15/2014The service was incredibly slow. Our reservation was for 8:15 and we were a bit ealy when we arrived but we did not receivr our meals until 9:45. It was so loud in the restaurant that we had to yell tp hear each other and it was so dark that we had to use the flash lights on our phones to read the menu. For myself, a 23 year old, I have never had to do that. When our mains finally arrived I had to send my meal back because it was so tough I couldn't eat it. I ordered the linguine gamberi both the pasta and the prawns were tough. When we went to pay the bill I had to ask the manager, who seemed to now be serving our table, to take my meal off the bill as I didnt eat it and didnt order anything else. When we were getting up to leave our waitress came by to say thankyou and that at least it was fun in the beginning for her. I really didnt appreciate a snide comment about how we were a troublesome table when I had just spent 250 plus tip on dinner. And lastly the table that we were sat at was right in front of a concrete podium and it was so close to this podium that I wasnt able to pull out my chair and so I had to squeeze in and out and once I was in thats where I was..no room to move around. You clearly make a successful turn over every night, having one less table wont hurt your bottom line and may even improve your service time. I amd the three others with me will not be returning to The Italian Kitchen.
- Too Darn Noisy2muchdogsDined on 11/13/2014Our lunch was delicious - my ravioli was divine with pasta of the correct thinness and my friend's prawn linguine was equally succulent. The service was excellent. However, the one item that prevents me from giving the restaurant an overall excellent review was the incredible noise levels on each of the floors. Downstairs the sound of conversations being shouted in order to be heard over too loud music was almost excruciating. I don't know how the diners heard the waiters, let alone each other. Upstairs, where we dined, was better only because there was no music. That said, once again the noise of conversation was extremely loud and made enjoying a chat with my friend, as well as our lovely meals, very difficult. It only died down to a comfortable level towards the end of our meal, and that was likely because we were in the later sitting for lunch and the dining room was emptying. I would recommend the restaurant for the food, but will warn about the noise levels. If you were getting together with a friend to catch up or with colleagues or business associates for a discussion you would be totally out of luck in communicating successfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meatballs were fantastic!Ed1974Dined on 11/13/2014Great service, great food and great ambiance. We keep coming back for meatballs but tried other dishes and they were also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much point for making a reservationBirthdayMommaDined on 11/12/2014I made the reservation for my husband, one year old daughter and myself. I requested a high chair and I mentioned we were there to celebrate my birthday. It was a 3 o'clock reservation so I didn't expect it to be busy which it wasn't. They put us in a section of the restaurant all by ourselves which was fine. I had took all for the high chair again. And there was zero mention of a birthday celebration. Not that I expected anything special, but what is the point of making a reservation if no details are used when we were there. The food was not awesome. I had the veal and two out of three pieces were chewy, and most of the vegetables were bitter. Not once were we asked how the food was. And our water was never topped up. Dessert was offered but she already had the bill ready. Not a great birthday experience. Lesson learned.
- Noisy, cramped but good foodBeastieDined on 11/11/2014We sat downstairs and at 5'7' and 125 lbs, it was a squeeze for me to maneuver onto the bench at the back of our table. Hard to hear each other talk too, without yelling. That said, it was lively and energetic and the food was pretty good, as was the service. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would give Italian Kitchen a 7 and will definitely return for the right occasion.Special Features:
- No brunchJb123Dined on 11/11/2014Disappointed to make a large group reservation for lunch after reading the brunch menu on the restaurant only to find out brunch wasn't offered that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!djntDined on 11/8/2014Great food and service!! I always look forward to eating the variety of pasta dishes that you cannot get anywhere else. My favourite is the Truffled Spaghetti, I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great for Staff MeetingsBMCNetworksDined on 11/6/2014I've met my boss and fellow staff here on a number of occasions. It's great for a quick one on one!Special Features:
- MehGrahamDined on 11/1/2014We made our reservation online and took the opportunity to fill in the special requests form - it was our first wedding anniversary. We got the table right beside the front door with a waiter that looked like we were his last table of the night. The busser was very friendly and the food was delicious (the 'melted' cheese on the veal was a little... hard by the time we got it) but we probably won't be going back.Special Features:
- One of the Glowbal CollectionSteakLoverDined on 10/28/2014Great italian options with nice pizza and platters.. Delicious meatballs..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Split a pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014We split a pasta as a starter and were amazed at how HUGE the 1/2 orders still were. The truffle fettucini was delicious and the entrees (Veal Scallopini and Beef Tenderloin) were also memorable.Special Features:
- Great menu, slow servicedebcVIPDined on 10/26/2014Very popular. We dined early on a Sunday evening and it was busy. The wait staff was not up to the task. Our service was slow and was worse at the next table to us. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!EdmontonDinersDined on 10/24/2014Super atmosphere and wonderful food. Appetizer meatballs were delicious as were are main courses. Recommendations by out waiter John were bang on as was his attentive and friendly service. We will be back the next time we are in Vancouver for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for get together!SupermomDined on 10/23/2014We chose the Italian kitchen as it was central for our group of three friends. While the ways noise level was energetic we could hear our own conversation without being privy to other people's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise and crampedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014Decent food but very cramped seating. Music got louder as the night progressed and was not adjusted even after requested. Hard to hear conversation so we left and had desert elsewhere.
- SammyMats5Dined on 10/23/2014Waitress was excellent. She had a great personality and really added to the experience. The food as always was excellent. A great place for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014The house special spaghetti and meatballs were recommended and they were outstanding!!! Enjoyed everything but quite noisy - my only complaint.Special Features:
- food disappointingbigeaterDined on 10/20/2014I have been to Italian Kitchen many times and have had consistently good food and service. Not this time. My favourite dish, veal piccata, came with vegetables that were virtually inedible (the green beans were almost raw and the roast potatoes were cold and shrivelled). The sauce on the veal was heavy and lacking the usual lemony tang. The server was overly chatty, interrupting our conversation to make inane comments. I will give them another chance because I know they can do better, but two strikes and you're out.
- ReviewWineloverDined on 10/18/2014Overall very good! Food was remarkable! Although we did order half a bottle of wine to split between the two of us and before finishing it a server took it. Maybe thought it was empty or what not. It was very load and hard to talk across the table but that is expected. Server had very good recommendations on food and wine and appetizers which we loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotPhilDined on 10/17/2014Had a business lunch here. Food and service were great, noise level was perfect (loud enough for a private conversation, not so loud you couldn't hear each other).Special Features:
- Great Spot for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014This was the first time at the restaurant and I was very happy with the choice I made. I was having a meeting with a customer and the setting was comfortable and suitable for us. The pricing for what we had was reasonable and I would definitely return.Special Features:
- VcronbusinessDined on 10/16/2014Food is consistently good as is the service. Great place for a business lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome evening!luv2dineDined on 10/12/2014We ordered the veal scallopini-which was absolutely delicious. The service was particularly great. Friendly without being in your face- offered advice when asked... A nice evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally greatCsquareVIPDined on 10/12/2014The dish I had was delicious but the one my husband had parts of it were cold. The service was poor but is a one off. I have dined here before and have had impeccable service so my experience today was unusual. Will not recommend for now.
- Platters of Pasta!thenextmealDined on 10/10/2014This is a good place if you haven't eaten bread and carbs in a while or ran the Vancouver Marathon. Big platters of traditional pastas. So filling.Special Features:
- ServiceCoolLDined on 10/6/2014The dinner was excellent, food and all but towards the end as the restaurant get busy the service dropped. To me it is just training problem and also the manager doing their rounds. I was waiting for someone to come so we can ask for the bill and I waited for 20 minutes until I was able to flag another waitress. Especially with the restaurant being 2 levels, manager shouldn't just stay on one floor. There were 3 of us and we could have easily walked out that night without paying talking about awareness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back over and overlowesdownDined on 10/4/2014The staff actually serve everyone. It isn't a competition between servers, they all help all the tables and see things to make the whole experience better. The food was top notch and the staff knew the menu quite well.Special Features:
- We had our 20th AnnivesaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014What an amazing evening. They pulled out the red carpet and had suprises all evening. The table was out on the patio and they had a nice heater on and a blanket if you needed it. Portions are huge and they accomidated us as the platters are family style. Great spot, great service and will recommend. Make reservations and ensure you call to confirm. We had to move our reservation by an hour and they we very accomidatingSpecial Features:
- My favourite venue for lunch/brunchTwillDined on 10/3/2014For a location downtown for lunch/brunch I always choose the Italian Kitchen. I know I can always count and the great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid as usualWill2wilVIPDined on 10/3/2014though the service was a bit slow this time around...Special Features:
- Exactly What We WantedHughmanDined on 9/29/2014This was a great place to take a client who was looking for Italian food. It is conveniently located, short walk from Fairmonts. Food and service were spot on; simply perfect.Special Features:
- lah-di-dahDiHe4BDined on 9/27/2014Service is rather haughty. Food is good. Seems very popular and therefore crowdy and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Dining ExperienceLovediningDined on 9/25/2014The ambience is great, service is some of the best I have experienced. Food is always fabulous and the Zeppolos for dessert is a must have, along with the incredible Americano coffee. My favourite dish is the Mushroom Fusili - just the right amount of cream sauce & lightly flavoured with pancetta. My other favourite is the Pasta Gamberi - delightfully spicy with the largest prawns I've seen. The burrata with pesto & prosciutto is a great way to start your meal. The shared platters are a great way to introduce yourself to the offerings of this restaurant. My favourite restaurant whether it be for two or 10. I've been there on numerous occasions over the past couple of years & have never been disappointed. We'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midweek diningSteveJedDined on 9/23/2014Surprised how busy it was for a Tuesday and yet they said it was kind of slow. They must be doing very well. Solid collections of pastas and great burrata.Special Features:
- A Good Choice1njgalVIPDined on 9/21/2014Second time at this bustling restaurant…located walking distance from all the hotels. The service this time was rather slow, but when the food did arrive the dishes were delicious. Server brought the wrong wine carafe….she did correct, but probably should have left us the original wine in our glass rather than have to discard. Lovely restaurant…diversified menu…good choice while in Vancouver.fSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stick to the pastafuudyfinderDined on 9/21/2014My experience with this restaurant has always been superb! My only complaint this time was the risotto ball that came with my scallops, it was burnt and tasted like it was soaked in oil, not simply deep fried, very bland and under seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Quality food, excellent service, even the Italian sodas were delectable!Special Features:
- expectations not metoutonadateDined on 9/19/2014I have not been to Italian Kitchen before and was looking forward to a dinner date with my partner. He had been a number of times with his office for lunch and liked the menu. When we entered we were greeted and well taken care of. That was the end of the good experience. The waiter was disinterested, did not make eye contact. Twice he took my order for water and filled my glass and did even acknowledge my partner. The food was good, not great. We ordered the pasta platter as we thought it would give us the best overview of the flavour range of the overall menu. with all of the choices around it is unlikely that we will eat here again.