2220 Mountain Blvd
Oakland, CA 94611Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://italiancolorsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 482-8094
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alan Carlson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Every Wednesday - Saturday after 6:30 pm Italian Colors proudly hosts live music! Featuring Mike Wollenberg, best known for his work as a fingerstyle solo guitarist. www.mikewollenberg.com
A word from Italian Colors
In 2013, we celebrated our 20th year! Our offerings are made from scratch using fresh, local in-season ingredients. We serve wine from some of the best local California vineyards, big and small, as well as carefully selected vineyards from Italy. We are constantly undergoing culinary evolution so our menu changes quite frequently. We love what we do! Our menus are posted online and are updated daily! Our website includes video recipes and image galleries of menu items!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Italian Colors - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Italian Colors reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (18)special occasion (16)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (15)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (8)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- rhomaDined on 11/21/2014Food is always good and sometimes inspired. Very well flavored, if sometimes a bit heavy on the garlic. Warm, inviting and just the right amount of attention from serversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a good experienceMaryVIPDined on 11/11/2014I took a group of 5 to Italian Colors for dinner (including an Italian exchange student). We all enjoyed our food and were able to talk easily across the table with each other. The service was good. My only objection to Italian Colors is that my bill is always more than I ever imagined - entrees are in the $20's but with a few minimal add-ons somehow we ended up at over $40 per person including tip. That seems like a lot for a neighborhood night out.Special Features:
- Loved Italian ColorsTheoDined on 11/9/2014Was greeted by Steve, the owner. He was great. We were early so we had a drink at the bar. Bartender was friendly and poured properly generous drinks. Service was very good. The meal was excellent. Highly recommend Italian colors. It is a neighborhood restaurant, but would recommend looking for it if you are not in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in MontclairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Hadn't been up to Italian Colors in a few years, but when friends visited from out of town and wanted unpretentious real Italian dinner in beautiful setting I immediately thought of Italian Colors and was very happy with their service, menu and ambiance making it a wonderful event for allSpecial Features:
- The basics, done reasonably well.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2014The ambiance is outdated 80s suburban strip mall. Restaurant was 80% full, there was no host waiting to greet us. We waited at least 10 minutes standing uncomfortably at the host station waiting to be greeted and seated. Staff seemed rushed. Ordered a mix of dishes off both the standard and daily specials menu. Food was generally good, but nothing outstanding. Server was pleasant and reasonably attentive.
- Excellent Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/29/2014I was pleasantly surprised to find a restaurant with old-fashioned service, knowledgeable servers and excellent food. It's rare to find all of that in one restaurant. Italian Colors has been in operation for many years (over 30, I believe), and it's easy to see why. The owner made a point of stopping by our table to say hello and answer our questions, the server was attentive, knowledgeable and helpful, and even the busser was pleasant and efficient. My dining partner and I told our server that we each wanted to order an entree and share our meals with the another. When our meals were delivered we were surprised and happy to find that the chef split both meals perfectly in half and presented two beautifully prepared dishes to each of us.Special Features:
- Amazing Italian GemIceguybobVIPDined on 10/25/2014I discovered this restaurant during a company lunch last year and decided to take the family to dinner. It's in an unlikely location in a strip mall in Montclair Village. We were impressed with the artwork on the wall and the unique menu design (which our host said he created). The menu has something for everyone - pizza, pasta, salads, a daily selection that changes each day, and lots of variety. The pizzas are great as was the daily "light entree" - scallops and rissoto baked in a pumpkin shell. Awesome! They had a live guitarist with ivery good music. All told - a real discovery and a wonderful dinner. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Poker Get-TogetherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014It was a great place to have our poker group dinner.Special Features:
- Comfort with TasteTerryDined on 10/17/2014Great all-around restaurant, gourmet food with casual table-top drawing, fine for fancy but kids have a great time, too. Service extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place! Great food!PenguinVIPDined on 9/26/2014I eat there often, always good, great service. Food predictably good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Last week I was there with a friend; sitting outside and it was very good. This time it was not as good. We ordered salad with the dressing on the side. They brought salads with dressing on it which made them very soggy. The waiter didn't understand what we were saying which made it difficult to communicate our wishes to him. Last week that was not a problem. In the past the service and food was better than it was this last time. Mostly the wait staff tries to please and are pleasant but when they don't understand what people are saying it's hard to get he orders right.Special Features:
- Great Service!ArbieDined on 9/6/2014Our server, LEO made the evening. Glad we finally found this gem.Special Features:
- Our go-to restaurantljcooljDined on 9/5/2014We love Italian Colors! No matter what you're in the mood to eat, there is something delicious on the menu for you. Don't miss the Vine Salad when it's in season, and we almost always order the calamari and brussel sprouts, too. It's an interesting spot, in that there are families there, romantic couples, and everything in between, and everyone has a great time. When we have a special family dinner, it's always at Colors.Special Features:
- Always goodPMR1Dined on 8/10/2014Italian Colors has never disappointed. Pizza with figs and bacon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant1mia2jonnyDined on 8/3/2014We moved here from New York 6 years ago and could not find authentic Italian anywhere outside of the city. This is a place that puts heart and soul into their food. The owners and waitstaff are professional and friendly. We now have a place we feel at home!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- belissimoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We work on Saturdays, so going to a nice restaurant with great service and good food is a must. We try to enlarge our scope of cities and restaurants so that we are always experiencing a different every week. We would come back and be served by Leo again.Special Features:
- consistent!candykaneDined on 7/31/2014Italian Colors remains a consistent neighborhood gem. I always know I'll eat well for a decent price and be served by caring professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian ColorssuppDined on 7/26/2014My Husband and I had the pleasure of Italian Colors this past weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the wonderful people there. We will absolutely return again! Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Italian Colors reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014This was my first time going to Italian Colors, a bit disapointing. My friend wanted the Lasgna, however, they did not have a meet one. I orderd the pasta (Quinoa) with smoked chicken, the sauce was runny, and the tasted sweet. The cesear salad they we split, tasted very eggy. I went out of my way at lunch time to try this place, however, will not make such an effort next time.
- Nice family spotsftiggeeDined on 7/12/2014We were seated immediately, even though we showed up about 30 minutes ahead of our reservation. Our host and our waiter were friendly. The restaurant was lively, but not so loud that we couldn't carry out a conversation. We ordered soup and salad and our entrees, and the wait wasn't long before our soup and salad came out. The spacing being courses was good, our food did not arrive while we were still eating our salad, and we didn't have to wait too long after our salad was finished before the entrees arrived. The pasta was excellent, ad we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We even drew with the crayons that are provided at every table. I'm planning on bringing my family here in the future as another good kid friendly spot to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- predictable is just finepcs1Dined on 6/17/2014As always, Italian Colors comes through with good food, friendly service, and the feeling that you probably know everyone there - even if you don't. We've never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeoNealDined on 6/7/2014We dined at Italian Colors two weeks in a row. The second visit, this time with friends, I requested Leo's station because he is an excellent waiter: friendly, efficient, helpful, attentive but not hovering. He has a great personality and joked and was amusing where appropriate. I would ask for his station again the next time we dine with you. It was neat to see that you are a restaurant that the Governor chooses. Congratulations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irritating serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014The service was irritating, with interruptions to the conversation every few minutes. Frequent checking by the waitstaff every few minutes was too much, and it should have been silent. For each plate they came to take, they asked "Are you finished enjoying this?" and since 2 of our 4 dishes were really terrible, "May I take your plate" would have been better! Interrupting conversation to ask us if we wanted more water or if they could take completely empty plates was very irritating - they should do these things silently. It was a super friendly place.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Dinnerbigkahina2wipedoutVIPDined on 5/22/2014We had lived in Montclair before this restaurant opened, but had moved away. We saw the review on "Check Please" & decided to have dinner there after a long week at work. This is a pleasant restaurant with great staff & a nice, friendly ambiance. They almost serve too much, but the leftovers make a great lunch the next day. If you're anywhere nearby, give this restaurant a try. A great find seen first on KQED. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special musicmkfromoaklandDined on 5/22/2014Good food, good wine, pleasant ambience, not too noisy, but what made it special was the guitarist.Special Features:
- Montclair KitschPeterDined on 5/17/2014We were given a table for two next to the door, which meant that we dined amidst a swelling and shrinking and swelling tide of strangers. The drinks and food were very good and the service was, too. The ambience is kitschy, Montclair-on-the-Med.
- Great meal; warm & attentive staffKatkatVIPDined on 5/11/2014Sweet neighborhood spot. Had some of the mother's day specials--salmon with a saffron risotto and a beef filet with bernaise--that were just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrid brunchBelgoVIPDined on 5/11/2014Nothing too good to say about our experience except that the dining room is pretty. For our family mothers' day brunch, many of us were brought cold food, and our step-mother's dish was forgotten entirely (brought in over 10 minutes after the other diners' meals). The gnocchi had a bare-bones butter sauce without any discernible spices or seasoning. For an Italian restaurant, they couldn't even make a decent lasagna. Even if the service were bad, the food was lousy, so this will be our first and last visit.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/8/2014When I crave eggplant parmesan this is my go to place. It is delicious and served with crisp veggies. Always relaxing and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Formerly good, now mediocrecasualgourmetVIPDined on 5/4/2014The menu is more limited, with less ordering options. The decor REALLY needs updating and repair. The inside is shabby, run down,and and dark. The room is crowded and dingy. The visible kitchen and adjoining hallways, are cluttered, messy and dirty. The worst Is the pking.lot. A huge dumpster overflowing with garbage greets you on your way to the entrance. Uninviting ,unattractive and unappetizing to say the least. Food just okay. Nothing special.Special Features:
- Still wonderfulAlanVIPDined on 5/2/2014We always enjoy our meals at Italian Colors. Great food, simply presented, in a family-friendly atmosphere. Not where you would celebrate a romantic anniversary (well, you could), but if you are looking for a great meal after a busy day, or you have friends to meet, especially foodies with children, this is your spot. It is our neighborhood restaurant, but it is worth a drive too. And, how many restaurants could you eat at that are also the name of a Supreme Court case? (Look it up).Special Features:
- Dog FriendlyJoyceDined on 5/1/2014We love that we can sit outdoors with our dogs and still enjoy fine dining. They always bring water for the doggies, and the service, food and drinks are always wonderful. Oh - and Very Yummy Tangerine Cosmos :)
- Excellent food and serviceChrisDined on 4/8/2014Our host Michael seated our party of six right away at a comfortable table. Our waitress Laura was friendly and informative and accommodating, and checked in with us regularly without being intrusive. The food was outstanding, and the atmosphere friendly and relaxed. The 72 hour braised short ribs were as good as any meat I've tasted. The ahi tuna cone appetizer could be on the dessert menu. We stayed for over two hours. Oakland is lucky to have a restaurant like this where people can get a great meal, catch up with friends in nice surroundings, and be treated so well by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my most favorite restaurantJanetCDined on 4/6/2014This is my most favorite restaurant...the go to place for all celebrations. The service is great, the food is predictably very good. All my friends know to kid us "Happy xxx. Did you go to Italian Colors?"Special Features:
- Good experience!Sunshine2Dined on 4/6/2014It was a great experience! Service was excellent and we really enjoy the food! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost ThereWelchNamDined on 4/4/2014The food is a bit hit and miss, mostly hit. Still most dishes are worth trying. We have made this our "go to" in our neighborhood. Have not experienced their lunch. It's on our list. Service was more than acceptable. Very accommodating but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Loving Italian Colors!sebysusanDined on 4/2/2014This is a favorite after-hike lunch spot for our hiking group. Not only is it incredibly convenient to many East Bay Regional parks in the Oakland/Berkeley hills, but they are very dog friendly. They have given us wonderful service, EXCELLENT meals, and a great atmosphere for friendly conversation many times. I highly recommend their wonderful rosemary bread. Sounds weird, but it's *awesome*! they also do an excellent job with salads and sandwiches. They have an heirloom tomato salad (only available seasonally) that is simply incredible. Two thumbs way up!Special Features:
- Watch out for the salad!scooter46Dined on 3/26/2014We've been to this restaurant several times and were surprised and disappointed by a simple salad that had pushed the life of some lettuce way too far! Dominant color where cut: brown! It is hard to imagine that no one in the kitchen noticed! We will likely go back because we enjoy certain dishes but will take a brief break and try out some other restaurants.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantcinderblocksfDined on 3/22/2014Great to have such a great restaurant near home. The food is always fantastic, and the service is great every time.Special Features:
- Not clean. Average food andStacyDined on 3/7/2014Not clean. Average food and service. Suitable for young children and their families only.