2220 Mountain Blvd
Oakland, CA 94611Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://italiancolorsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5104828094
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alan Carlson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Every Wednesday - Saturday after 6:30 pm Italian Colors proudly hosts live music! Featuring Mike Wollenberg, best known for his work as a fingerstyle solo guitarist. www.mikewollenberg.com
A word from Italian Colors
In 2013, we celebrated our 20th year! Our offerings are made from scratch using fresh, local in-season ingredients. We serve wine from some of the best local California vineyards, big and small, as well as carefully selected vineyards from Italy. We are constantly undergoing culinary evolution so our menu changes quite frequently. We love what we do! Our menus are posted online and are updated daily! Our website includes video recipes and image galleries of menu items!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Italian Colors - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Italian Colors reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)kid-friendly (18)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (16)great for lunch (13)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (12)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Service!ArbieDined on 9/6/2014Our server, LEO made the evening. Glad we finally found this gem.Special Features:
- Our go-to restaurantljcooljDined on 9/5/2014We love Italian Colors! No matter what you're in the mood to eat, there is something delicious on the menu for you. Don't miss the Vine Salad when it's in season, and we almost always order the calamari and brussel sprouts, too. It's an interesting spot, in that there are families there, romantic couples, and everything in between, and everyone has a great time. When we have a special family dinner, it's always at Colors.Special Features:
- Always goodPMR1Dined on 8/10/2014Italian Colors has never disappointed. Pizza with figs and bacon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant1mia2jonnyDined on 8/3/2014We moved here from New York 6 years ago and could not find authentic Italian anywhere outside of the city. This is a place that puts heart and soul into their food. The owners and waitstaff are professional and friendly. We now have a place we feel at home!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- belissimoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We work on Saturdays, so going to a nice restaurant with great service and good food is a must. We try to enlarge our scope of cities and restaurants so that we are always experiencing a different every week. We would come back and be served by Leo again.Special Features:
- consistent!candykaneDined on 7/31/2014Italian Colors remains a consistent neighborhood gem. I always know I'll eat well for a decent price and be served by caring professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian ColorssuppDined on 7/26/2014My Husband and I had the pleasure of Italian Colors this past weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the wonderful people there. We will absolutely return again! Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014This was my first time going to Italian Colors, a bit disapointing. My friend wanted the Lasgna, however, they did not have a meet one. I orderd the pasta (Quinoa) with smoked chicken, the sauce was runny, and the tasted sweet. The cesear salad they we split, tasted very eggy. I went out of my way at lunch time to try this place, however, will not make such an effort next time.
- Nice family spotsftiggeeDined on 7/12/2014We were seated immediately, even though we showed up about 30 minutes ahead of our reservation. Our host and our waiter were friendly. The restaurant was lively, but not so loud that we couldn't carry out a conversation. We ordered soup and salad and our entrees, and the wait wasn't long before our soup and salad came out. The spacing being courses was good, our food did not arrive while we were still eating our salad, and we didn't have to wait too long after our salad was finished before the entrees arrived. The pasta was excellent, ad we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We even drew with the crayons that are provided at every table. I'm planning on bringing my family here in the future as another good kid friendly spot to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- predictable is just finepcs1Dined on 6/17/2014As always, Italian Colors comes through with good food, friendly service, and the feeling that you probably know everyone there - even if you don't. We've never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeoNealDined on 6/7/2014We dined at Italian Colors two weeks in a row. The second visit, this time with friends, I requested Leo's station because he is an excellent waiter: friendly, efficient, helpful, attentive but not hovering. He has a great personality and joked and was amusing where appropriate. I would ask for his station again the next time we dine with you. It was neat to see that you are a restaurant that the Governor chooses. Congratulations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irritating serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014The service was irritating, with interruptions to the conversation every few minutes. Frequent checking by the waitstaff every few minutes was too much, and it should have been silent. For each plate they came to take, they asked "Are you finished enjoying this?" and since 2 of our 4 dishes were really terrible, "May I take your plate" would have been better! Interrupting conversation to ask us if we wanted more water or if they could take completely empty plates was very irritating - they should do these things silently. It was a super friendly place.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Dinnerbigkahina2wipedoutVIPDined on 5/22/2014We had lived in Montclair before this restaurant opened, but had moved away. We saw the review on "Check Please" & decided to have dinner there after a long week at work. This is a pleasant restaurant with great staff & a nice, friendly ambiance. They almost serve too much, but the leftovers make a great lunch the next day. If you're anywhere nearby, give this restaurant a try. A great find seen first on KQED. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Italian Colors reviews archive.
- Special musicmkfromoaklandDined on 5/22/2014Good food, good wine, pleasant ambience, not too noisy, but what made it special was the guitarist.Special Features:
- Montclair KitschPeterDined on 5/17/2014We were given a table for two next to the door, which meant that we dined amidst a swelling and shrinking and swelling tide of strangers. The drinks and food were very good and the service was, too. The ambience is kitschy, Montclair-on-the-Med.
- Great meal; warm & attentive staffKatkatVIPDined on 5/11/2014Sweet neighborhood spot. Had some of the mother's day specials--salmon with a saffron risotto and a beef filet with bernaise--that were just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrid brunchBelgoVIPDined on 5/11/2014Nothing too good to say about our experience except that the dining room is pretty. For our family mothers' day brunch, many of us were brought cold food, and our step-mother's dish was forgotten entirely (brought in over 10 minutes after the other diners' meals). The gnocchi had a bare-bones butter sauce without any discernible spices or seasoning. For an Italian restaurant, they couldn't even make a decent lasagna. Even if the service were bad, the food was lousy, so this will be our first and last visit.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/8/2014When I crave eggplant parmesan this is my go to place. It is delicious and served with crisp veggies. Always relaxing and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Formerly good, now mediocrecasualgourmetDined on 5/4/2014The menu is more limited, with less ordering options. The decor REALLY needs updating and repair. The inside is shabby, run down,and and dark. The room is crowded and dingy. The visible kitchen and adjoining hallways, are cluttered, messy and dirty. The worst Is the pking.lot. A huge dumpster overflowing with garbage greets you on your way to the entrance. Uninviting ,unattractive and unappetizing to say the least. Food just okay. Nothing special.Special Features:
- Still wonderfulAlanVIPDined on 5/2/2014We always enjoy our meals at Italian Colors. Great food, simply presented, in a family-friendly atmosphere. Not where you would celebrate a romantic anniversary (well, you could), but if you are looking for a great meal after a busy day, or you have friends to meet, especially foodies with children, this is your spot. It is our neighborhood restaurant, but it is worth a drive too. And, how many restaurants could you eat at that are also the name of a Supreme Court case? (Look it up).Special Features:
- Dog FriendlyJoyceDined on 5/1/2014We love that we can sit outdoors with our dogs and still enjoy fine dining. They always bring water for the doggies, and the service, food and drinks are always wonderful. Oh - and Very Yummy Tangerine Cosmos :)
- Excellent food and serviceChrisDined on 4/8/2014Our host Michael seated our party of six right away at a comfortable table. Our waitress Laura was friendly and informative and accommodating, and checked in with us regularly without being intrusive. The food was outstanding, and the atmosphere friendly and relaxed. The 72 hour braised short ribs were as good as any meat I've tasted. The ahi tuna cone appetizer could be on the dessert menu. We stayed for over two hours. Oakland is lucky to have a restaurant like this where people can get a great meal, catch up with friends in nice surroundings, and be treated so well by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my most favorite restaurantJanetCDined on 4/6/2014This is my most favorite restaurant...the go to place for all celebrations. The service is great, the food is predictably very good. All my friends know to kid us "Happy xxx. Did you go to Italian Colors?"Special Features:
- Good experience!Sunshine2Dined on 4/6/2014It was a great experience! Service was excellent and we really enjoy the food! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost ThereWelchNamDined on 4/4/2014The food is a bit hit and miss, mostly hit. Still most dishes are worth trying. We have made this our "go to" in our neighborhood. Have not experienced their lunch. It's on our list. Service was more than acceptable. Very accommodating but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Loving Italian Colors!sebysusanDined on 4/2/2014This is a favorite after-hike lunch spot for our hiking group. Not only is it incredibly convenient to many East Bay Regional parks in the Oakland/Berkeley hills, but they are very dog friendly. They have given us wonderful service, EXCELLENT meals, and a great atmosphere for friendly conversation many times. I highly recommend their wonderful rosemary bread. Sounds weird, but it's *awesome*! they also do an excellent job with salads and sandwiches. They have an heirloom tomato salad (only available seasonally) that is simply incredible. Two thumbs way up!Special Features:
- Watch out for the salad!scooter46Dined on 3/26/2014We've been to this restaurant several times and were surprised and disappointed by a simple salad that had pushed the life of some lettuce way too far! Dominant color where cut: brown! It is hard to imagine that no one in the kitchen noticed! We will likely go back because we enjoy certain dishes but will take a brief break and try out some other restaurants.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantcinderblocksfDined on 3/22/2014Great to have such a great restaurant near home. The food is always fantastic, and the service is great every time.Special Features:
- Not clean. Average food andStacyDined on 3/7/2014Not clean. Average food and service. Suitable for young children and their families only.
- Won't go back!FunproDined on 2/26/2014Waiter was indifferent and unaccommodating. French onion soup was OK. Grilled salmon was drowned in an unappetizing broth with boiled potatoes and vegetables. Not very interesting at all and the broth took away from a potentially great salmon.
- We love this place!ljcooljDined on 2/21/2014This is our go-to restaurant -- whether it's just the two of us or our kids are with us (it's their favorite, too, and they're 17 & 20). It has somehow found a way to be great for families, but you can get a quiet table for two as well. The wine list isn't long, but it's always good. My hubbie always gets the gnocchi, and I always try something new -- and we're both always happy. A great place when you want a good dinner without parking hassles, snooty attitude, or a trip across a bridge. Not very hip or funky, but you can take your in-laws and little kids or a date and everyone is happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/21/2014A neighborhood gem. I'm almost tempted not to give a good review, because I want to be able to get a table at the great place just as easily in the future as I do now. The food, ambiance, and service has always been great and the place never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealRobynsnest73Dined on 2/17/2014Tonight was no exception. I've always had a good meal. But make a reservation or get there by 6PM on a Friday or you will wait forever to get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a neighborhood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/17/2014For a neighborhood Italian Restaurant, it's fairly expensive. The food is not as good as it should be for the price. Two of us ordered the short ribs [$24] and out of the 5 pieces on each plate, two had so much fate they were inedible. I took the scaps home to my dog and even she wouldn't eat them.Special Features:
- Always meets expectationsAnnieDined on 2/16/2014Colors is a class act -- always a great place to meet family and friends for a wonderful meal, great service, friendly bar. We always have a really good time at Colors, and we keep coming back.Special Features:
- Never disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014We are "regulars" at Italian Colors and it never disappoints. Excellent food, attentive service and a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & Filling FoodReviewinGMDined on 2/14/2014A Valentine's day dinner that isn't all about dark and moody is hard to find, but the early evening reservation at Italian Colors made an upbeat and tasty start to a great evening. Entrees weren't too large or too small, were full of flavor and presented with just a hint of flair - making them inviting to the diner (rather than a work of art too precious to eat). Desserts were shareable - but only if we were willing to do so! We highly recommend Italian Colors for that special occassion - and we'd go further to say reserve for an earlier dinner time, because the energy level will boost you through whatever exciting plans you have afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This has been a favorite restaurantValerDined on 2/14/2014This has been a favorite restaurant for me for a while. It does depend on which Chef is in the kitchen. We had a wonderful meal this time, but when there is a mediocre chef, we have been disappointed. I was pleased to have the food and the service be top notch for this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Food, Difficult LocationNeosconaDined on 2/13/2014Tucked into a spot near the pet store, bakery, etc., you may have trouble finding this restaurant. Parking can be tricky as the lot is very compact. It's worth the effort. We enjoyed the food, a mushroom pizza and filet mignon medallions on linguine. The menu is not extensive, nor is the wine list, but both are well thought out, with several nice selections. The service was impeccable, attentive without being intrusive. All in all, a nice place to have in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solidhelloVIPDined on 2/13/2014the food here is always solid. chicken salad was very tasty, not overdressed, nice crispy onions on top and salmon special was very good as well. the risotto was a little runny but still tasty. The bread is also very very good. chocolate torte for dessert was very rich good to share.