75-5799 Ali'i Dr.
Kailua, HI 96740Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Island Lava Java Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.islandlavajava.com/
- Phone: 8083272161
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:30am; Sunday Brunch: 6:30am - 5:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Johnny Loua
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Delicious hot or cold options. Order from one of our menus or work with our chef to create a catering event specific to your taste!
- Entertainment: Live Hawaiian & acoustic music, weekends & evenings
Island Lava Java, Bistro Grill is Kona's #1 Coffee House and Restaurant. We were voted to have the "Best Breakfast in Kona" by the readers of the West Hawaii Today. Island Lava Java Bistro & Grill's Island fare is inspired by everyday island cooking. You'll feel relaxed while savoring a great meal in our casual and comfortable outside, Oceanside lanai. Experience our inventive cuisine, attentive service, and a friendly atmosphere; come see what makes us one of the most popular restaurants and coffee houses in town. We look forward to meeting you!
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
- GreatCanyakVIPDined on 10/5/2014Wonderful fresh food from quality ingredients. You can bring your own beer or wine and they'll provide glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchLodiwineDined on 9/26/2014The internet menu showed a menu that some items weren't available for lunch, but were for dinner, and therefore, we weren't able to order them. Great for people watching.Special Features:
- Wonderful location, great food!LuckyloDined on 9/26/2014Went for breakfast - returned for dinner another night. Terrific, tasty food, live entertainment both times. Wonderful view of the ocean. Great service.Special Features:
- Fabulous Anniversary DinnerKBsFavesDined on 9/16/2014We went for our 25th wedding anniversary dinner. The service was very friendly and the lovely hostess even offered us a free appetizer as it was a special occasion. We were a bit surprised that there was no alcohol in the menu, I failed to note that in previous reviews. ( they do offer a wine opening and glass service if you bring your own ) We had a delicious daily catch encrusted with macadamia with tasty sides and a couple of great appetizers. I would definitely eat there again, we did enjoy 2 fantastic breakfasts there as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Island Lava JavaMac1214Dined on 9/10/2014Great food, friendly wait staff and 30 feet from the Pacific Ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisFrederick57Dined on 9/8/2014We enjoyed our dining experience. The food was excellent, along with the cold ginger tea. All the staff was very friendly and engaging. Saw a wonderful sunset and also enjoyed the people watching opportunites. Affordable meal. Easy to book on line and our table was ready when we arrived at the resturant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatPiggies2Dined on 9/4/2014We always enjoy delicious eggs Benedict at Lava Java. We have used open table to reserve a table the last two times and it made our seating easy and oceanfront. Our friends shared banana macadamia pancakes with eggs Benedict and there were no leftovers. Coffee great and the in house bakery had some treats we took home. Very special treat being on Alii Drive, with people and ocean watching making it a wonderful morning experience.Special Features:
- LisamarieDined on 8/31/2014All things that you would want for a beachfront meal. Great food, service and view.Special Features:
- great brunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Staff was very accommodating when we showed up early and the rest of our group showed up late. We sat outside in the shade with a phenomenal view. We brought our dog and waitress brought out a water bowl for our dog as well as us. This made us feel very welcome and had more enjoyable ecoeruence. The food and coffee was really good with generous portions. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island Lava JavaOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/15/2014I had visited Island Lava Java several years ago. Place has really grown (on the patio) since then. Wonderful view, food and music. Live music every time we go. This is a BYOB establishment so make sure you bring your own beer or wine if you would like with your dinner. They are happy to accommodate with glasses and add ons.Special Features:
- Wow!KonaRusTDined on 8/2/2014...Did you ever enjoy a fun day/night at the beach? (Who hasn't right?) well you get all this and more here at the Lava Lava Beach Club! Gourmet dining in the sand here is a delight! You can eat Big...Big Burgers, Shrimp Fried rice, Wow...in a half pineapple! Lots of Seafood...and choices for the kids too! All wrapped up in a great world famous Kona sunset! Once here...picture taking is a must! Kids have room to eat and be, "casual..." In this setting. You will not be disappointed! Come hungry...stay late for the awesome homemade ice cream and cheesecake. Among other offerings on the dessert menu. Full service beach fun at this location!Special Features:
- Waterfront diningkellydenny2014Dined on 8/2/2014This was a nice location with free parking in the rear. The food was good, and we especially enjoyed the lava java shakes. Nice view of the harbor.Special Features:
- Always great foodpkwhouVIPDined on 7/29/2014Whenever I am on the island, I always stop here with my family. Great food and a nice staff. Wonderful outdoor seating, live music and a great view, especially at sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !BrookieDined on 7/19/2014I did not want to pass up the Royal Kona breakfast buffet for breakfast at this restaurant, but I'm soooo glad I did. We had: papaya and yogurt with granola - this was so good that I'd like an order now! Waffle with banana and mac-nut topping - the waffle was very tasty but not crisp, the bacon was cooked perfectly, fruit cup was OK Organic coffee (non Kona) was very nice and allowed refills. The Kona was good (of course), but the no refills policy would have been good to know at the outset. They had a table reserved for us (not always the case with Open Table reservations), and allowed a table change. They were effective at keeping people looking to get a table from standing over us as we ate -Mahalo! Ocean front dining. Great live music.Special Features:
- Have the ribsMantecaFoodieDined on 7/18/2014The ribs were awesome, while the fish special was just ok. My kids had the pizza's which were ok, but nothing special. The view and the music were incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding view and foodPiggies2Dined on 7/18/2014Coming back from a trip off island and treating friends that took us to airport and picked us up, Lava Java is a perfect treat. We were able to request an ocean front table just two hours ahead and sit and have a great view. The Eggs Benedict comes on a fresh croissant, delicious Hollandaise. Couldn't be better food. All four of us ordered the Benedict and we cleaned our plates. Lava Java makes their own pastries so always good for coffee of all sorts and baked goods. Servers were cheerful and competent.Special Features:
- What a surpriseAjayVIPDined on 7/10/2014I walked by this place several times and ignored it because the seating is on the sidewalk by the main drag. But we went there for dinner before our flight home based on Open Table recommendations. The food was yummy and plentiful, the service was warm and friendly, and it was just right to sustain us on the flight home. Will definitely go here on our trip trip to Kona.... PS. BYO wine or beer. They don't serve alcohol but they also don't charge if you bring your own.Special Features:
- Sea viewcstardancerVIPDined on 7/5/2014When we arrived at Island Lava Java we had a table reserved for us directly across from the bay. The service genuinely friendly and efficient, the food was delicious and the servings generous, the live music was pleasantly tropical, and the sunset spectacular. My husband and I enjoyed an idyllic evening welcome to the island thanks to Island Lava Java Bistro. The only thing that would have made it perfect would be wine or cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance plusairworkDined on 7/1/2014Great food with one of the best views on the island. Always a decent meal at moderate prices and on many days live music while watching the waves roll in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 196 reviews are from the Island Lava Java Bistro reviews archive.
- Great food and views.FromTexasDined on 6/21/2014While on the Big Island, we ate at three restaurants: Island Lava Java Bistro, Huggo's, and Tommy Bahama's. I wish I would have eaten at Island Lava Java Bistro all three times. Best ribs, steak, Mahi Mahi and desserts. View was great. Food and service were outstanding and the music was the icing on the cake. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Time Favorite100percentKonaDined on 6/20/2014We live on the island and farm here. We rarely take time to go out to eat unless it is at Island Lava Java. We are treated like family and the food and service is the very best. Every special day is celebrated there, along with many others in between.Special Features:
- spiffDined on 6/17/2014Went for dinner, and Everything was Excellent! Everything from the little sample chip from the chef, side salad (very big and delicious), the entrees were spot on, and then finished with the creme brulee. We sat outside, saw the sunset, and loved the live music! Next time we're in Kona we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovnkonaDined on 6/15/2014We had a wonderful brunch while sitting outside and enjoying the beautiful view!Special Features:
- Good choice for dinnerPBLocalVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great filet with a sea salt crust, perhaps a bit on the heavy side. I scrapped off a bit of the salt, but regardless, it was tender, cooked to perfection and very good. Lovely sea view, but sometimes the traffic got a bit noisy. Will definitely return on our next visit to Kona.Special Features:
- IDVAHIDined on 6/6/2014Lava Java never disappoints. Food and atmosphere are consistently perfect in every way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great serviceHearingearDined on 5/29/2014Excellent food, presentation, fresh ingredients, and friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lava Java OKBooneFoodieDined on 5/27/2014This is a popular tourist stop with a great outdoor dining experience and view. I found the food to be ok - nothing over the top. Service was a bit slow and I was disappointed that the waitperson was not all that familiar with the menu as to give recommendations.Special Features:
- Best place in Kona!BellaDined on 5/13/2014Awesome place! Love it! Nice view! Good prices for excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kona KinevcnolefanVIPDined on 4/17/2014Very nice spot with good food and service. Kids really liked their meal. Potatoes and pancakes were excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!JustusDined on 4/13/2014Lots of shade so you can sit for ages and enjoy the view, terrific food and exceptional service.Special Features:
- They definitely need a wineHawaii5ODined on 4/10/2014They definitely need a wine list to go with good food. Although they do permit diners to bring in their own and do not charge for corkage, it is inconvenient for travelers. Much was quiet and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Surprise!lavalilyDined on 4/8/2014I had been coming to Lava Java for many years, then a tree crashed down through your roof! I moved to another part of the island, but now I'm living in Kailua-Kona again, and was surprised to see that they offer more than rolls and coffee!! The evening meal I had with a friend was more than I expected. So happy to see the changes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great valuefiestafoodieDined on 4/7/2014A dead on look at the ocean (over Alii Drive), tablecloths, a sunset and bring your own wine! What more could you ask for? Very good food and they delivered.Special Features:
- Always a perfect brunch spot!JustusDined on 4/6/2014Great food, unbelievable view and the best service in Kailua!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualYogiDined on 3/24/2014I am a regular here. We had a minor problem with one food item. Management fixed the problem cheerfully and quickly. Cannot ask for more. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing viewJustusDined on 3/23/2014The staff and food always impress us at this neighbourhood gem.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We were very impressed with everything. A co-worker suggested this especially for the cinnamon rolls. They were amazing and service was amazing as well!! We made a reservation and put in the comment section to reserve cinnamon rolls as well. We were seated right away with an incredible view. Cinnamon rolls were brought to table within 2 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Healthy OptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Loved this place and the service was great. Everyone was very personable and friendly and the food was served efficiently and well presented. We ate both dinner and Breakfast here and both were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for staging that whale!KonaGirlDined on 3/21/2014In addition to a drop-dead ocean view, a lovely meal and live musical entertainment, we were thrilled to have a live-action whale lob-tailing as the sun set between the clouds. Never a dull evening dining at Lava Java!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best on the Alii stripJustusDined on 3/5/2014Excellent friendly service and great food in an amazing location. You couldn't ask for more. A local's favourite.Special Features: